Borussia Dortmund 17/18 | Sky Germany: Lucien Favre to be next manager

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
The 44-year-old scout does not make the headlines a lot, but he is one team member that is most definitely not up for sale.
As has become custom around Signal Iduna Park, the summer transfer window was a fraught time for Borussia Dortmund as they fended off suitors for some of their key assets. But it was not just the likes of Ousmane Dembele and Pierre Emerick Aubameyang who were in the eyes of BVB's rivals.
Far away from the pitch, scout Sven Mislintat was being linked with a move away from Dortmund, news which arguably would have hit the club even harder than Dembele's blockbuster move to Barcelona. The 44-year-old coordinates scouting operations at BVB, and his efforts have not gone unnoticed. The man who unearthed gems such as Dembele, Aubameyang and Robert Lewandowski was courted from across the Bundesliga, with Bayern Munich in particular confirmed admirers.
Stuttgart have also shown interest in adding Mislintat to their staff, while Fortuna Düsseldorf, Hannover and Hamburg are fellow members of his prestigious fan club. But, as far as Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc is concerned, Mislintat is one team member whose transfer is most definitely not up for negotiation.
"He is staying at Dortmund, and that is the end of it," the chief told reporters, slamming the door on any prospect the scout could leave the Rhineland institution. As BVB have proved countless times over the years, they know a gem when they see one.
With the help of a scouting network that reaches all four corners of the globe, Mislintat has one of the keenest eyes for talent around. It was Mislintat who recommended that Dortmund take a chance on a young Bayern Munich defender who was struggling for game-time in Bavaria; eight years later Mats Hummels returned to Bayern a World Cup winner and rated one of the finest centre-backs in the game. Jakub Blaszczykowski, Neven Subotic and Sven Bender also owe their discovery to Mislintat, but the jewel in the crown is surely Lewandowski. The signing of the 22-year-old Poland international for just €4.5 million back in 2010 represents one of the bargains of the century. Lewa went on to smash 103 goals in 187 games for BVB and fire the club to back-to-back Bundesliga titles before moving to their great rivals.
Shinji Kagawa was similarly plucked out of Japan's J-League to star in Germany, while Dembele and Auba both jumped to international stardom after being spotted by the super-scout. Indeed, such is his importance to the team that when forced to choose between him and a BVB coach, Dortmund sided with their scout.
Thomas Tuchel held a notoriously poor relationship with Mislintat, to the point that the pair squared off in violent slanging matches that eventually led to the latter being banned from training. The root of the issue was reportedly Oliver Torres, the ex-Atletico Madrid forward who was vetoed by Tuchel after the scout had invested great time and effort in observing him and nudging him towards a Dortmund switch.
Whatever the reason, the reaction from the BVB board was emphatic. Coaches come and go; but a star like Mislintat is non-negotiable. Tuchel found himself looking for a new job this summer while the scout began work with new incumbent Peter Bosz. His nose for talent shows no sign of slowing down: The cut-price acquisition of Manchester City wonderkid Jadon Sancho had his name all over it, and is testament to a transfer policy that values future sustainability over headline-grabbing record fees.
Hummels, Lewandowski and Mario Gotze may have left Dortmund for Bayern in recent years, but all indications suggest that Mislintat will not be treading the same route. The scout ignored the interest to do what he does best over the summer, and as his team gear up for another Champions League campaign the future at Signal Iduna Park continues to be bright.

What I would give to have a scout like him at Liverpool. The Dortmund model is what we should adopt since it's nigh on impossible for us to compete at the top level of the market.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Less successful? Cringe worthy stuff coming from a Dortmund fan. I genuinely like Dortmund and consider them as my second team, but nonsense like this i don't get it.
How Dortmund are or were more successful than Manchester United? You've won 2 titles in God knows how long, the last one in 2012, since than United won a title in 2013 and won a cup also. Yes we had some rough years with Moyes and LVG, but Dortmund were shambles in Klopp's last season, so combined with Jose's arrival it wasn't that much of a difficult decision for Mkhitaryan to move to Manchester United. There was some stupid statement from the club also that was just bitter in my opinion. Sounds like Dortmund don't mind bending over for Bayern only...
United are a much much bigger club than Dortmund. That's important to players like Mkhitarian and basically, everyone.The Dortmund posters here seem to love having a dig at one of the most successful clubs of this era while they had two great years in aeons.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
United are a much much bigger club than Dortmund. That's important to players like Mkhitarian and basically, everyone.The Dortmund posters here seem to love having a dig at one of the most successful clubs of this era while they had two great years in aeons.
Gotta love me some good ol´fashioned generalisation, the bane of every forum. How about you show me some of my posts where I take a dig at United. Given how long I have been an active part of this community, this should not be hard to do.

The truth of the matter is, that each support group has members spouting nonsense once in a while. Just like in every Dortmund player related thread come the usual "Bayern player in three years herp, derp" posts or the tired cliche of us bending over for Bayern (repeating it over and over again does not make it any less inaccurate, but I have long lost the motivation to correct them), there will be people poking fun at United´s lack of recent success in relation to their financial power.

The ability of most users to actually view posts for its contents instead of from which fan group it stems from, is what makes discussing football in this diverse community worthwile. I always thought that this site actually values opinions from different clubs and leagues as it added a dimension to the input that nearly all other football forums lack.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gotta love me some good ol´fashioned generalisation, the bane of every forum. How about you show me some of my posts where I take a dig at United. Given how long I have been an active part of this community, this should not be hard to do.

The truth of the matter is, that each support group has members spouting nonsense once in a while. Just like in every Dortmund player related thread come the usual "Bayern player in three years herp, derp" posts or the tired cliche of us bending over for Bayern (repeating it over and over again does not make it any less inaccurate, but I have long lost the motivation to correct them), there will be people poking fun at United´s lack of recent success in relation to their financial power.

The ability of most users to actually view posts for its contents instead of from which fan group it stems from, is what makes discussing football in this diverse community worthwile. I always thought that this site actually values opinions from different clubs and leagues as it added a dimension to the input that nearly all other football forums lack.
That's fair. Can't argue with any of that, actually.

Although didn't your club also make a statement regarding the same, which does feed the fans with unecessary stupidity.

izec

They need a new GK. Bürki is terrible, you cant concede 2 goals in your close corner from that angle

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dortmund are always so unlucky with injuries. Bartra, Reus, Schurrle, Guerreiro, Schmelzer etc.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Missed the first Spurs goal but some terrific play, Dortmund in particular - Dahoud, continues to look a great prospect. Sensational strikes from Kane & Yarmolenko, the buildup on both goals were quite different but quality

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Missed the first Spurs goal but some terrific play, Dortmund in particular - Dahoud, continues to look a great prospect. Sensational strikes from Kane & Yarmolenko, the buildup on both goals were quite different but quality
The strikes by Son and Kane were made to look incredible by an completely inept clown goalie. Lloris saves them both.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The strikes by Son and Kane were made to look incredible by an completely inept clown goalie. Lloris saves them both.
Nah, that was great will from Kane and it's silly to blame the keeper on a short side strike from that range & angle

Yeah, it's strange to see Dortmund not ahead as they have looked terrific in possession - very impressive. Spurs reflect Pochettino as a player in terms of hard fouls too

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
Nah, that was great will from Kane and it's silly to blame the keeper on a short side strike from that range & angle

Yeah, it's strange to see Dortmund not ahead as they have looked terrific in possession - very impressive. Spurs reflect Pochettino as a player in terms of hard fouls too
Well then I´m silly. Me and Oliver Kahn.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
English clubs live in a different market because of Sky and BT, the fees in the PL are limited to the PL. On the continent money is a concern for most clubs which means that when it comes to offers their floor is lower.
Mbappe and Dembele say hi.

In reality, the rest of Europe bear a handful of clubs are just eating scraps and not rally involved in the market in a big way anymore.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Not good game planning if you have to sub off 2/3 of your midfield three. Especially since Pulisic now would need to come off as he's tired and done.

Enjuto

Supports
Real Madrid
Interesting group. I didn't expect Spurs win, but BD has not said their last word in this group, for sure.

Devil may care

Pennywise in goal for Dortmund along with 2 goals ruled offside, one 100% wrongly, hurt them tonight, Pulisic is a hell of a young talent, huge potential and already very good.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
Well Watzke will be happy. He can hug it out with his buddy Sahin. Not like Sahin is fast enough to run away from a 60 year old anyway. Tuchel saw it, everybody with two eyes can see it.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So what's the consensus on what happened vs Spurs, just bad luck?
Only saw parts of the game, but it looked like Spurs were all over them at the start of the second half.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Only saw parts of the game, but it looked like Spurs were all over them at the start of the second half.
I only caught 15-20 min of 1st half which was pretty entertaining, even then BVB looked better despite being on the short end of the scoreline

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I only caught 15-20 min of 1st half which was pretty entertaining, even then BVB looked better despite being on the short end of the scoreline
Yeah, think it was probably just a fairly open game where both sides were on top for spells of it.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It's nothing new with Dortmund. They often look like the better team but end up losing points.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They're a very impressive team. I think we defended very well generally but their attacking play and pressing, especially in the first half, was at a level I haven't seen us face in the premier league tbh for a long time. Even last season in the CL when the results weren't great, the matches never really went like that.

Pulisic is a ridiculous player, cannot believe he's only 18. Gave us real problems, his movement especially is so clever.

Their fans are very impressive as well.

Looking forward to the away game.

RooneyLegend

Their high line is ridiculous especially because it's not like they have the best midfield in world football. Their efficiency in moving the ball from the back to front is nowhere near the level it would need to be to justify their defensive line. Whoever is their coach needs to have a rethink or he'll be out of a job in a jiffy.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Their high line is ridiculous especially because it's not like they have the best midfield in world football. Their efficiency in moving the ball from the back to front is nowhere near the level it would need to be to justify their defensive line. Whoever is their coach needs to have a rethink or he'll be out of a job in a jiffy.
Their coach is ex-Ajax coach Peter Bosz.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Bosz doesn't seem like a good fit for this Dortmund team. I know it's early days but the team looked much more assured under Tuchel in their abilities than they did, for example, against Spurs.

Bojan11

Why were they playing a high line tonight? How many times is Burki going to get beaten at his near post?

Canagel

Dortmund's style of play is highly dependent on the quality of the indviduals. If you have peak Xavi and Iniesta it will look great but if you don't it becomes very pedestrian and boring. They just keep coming at teams with the same attacking moves and it's very easy to read. Plus the coach isn't getting the best out of the players at his disposal. When you have a pacy striker like Aubameyang you need to play quick wide players and hit teams on the break with pace. So far it looks like they are missing Dembele but they've had a really good start to the Bundesliga so I dont think its too bad.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Toprak and Castro are painful to watch. I wasn't a fan of the Toprak signing anyway, he screams mediocrity and is clearly a level below Bartra.

AR87

Bosz seems tactically naive. To play that high a line against Madrid is suicide. To do it after the same tactics at Wembley exposed you so much is asinine. It's not surprising that Mourinho owned him completely in the EL Final last year.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bosz seems tactically naive. To play that high a line against Madrid is suicide. To do it after the same tactics at Wembley exposed you so much is asinine. It's not surprising that Mourinho owned him completely in the EL Final last year.
Exactly. It's admirable that he is sticking to his style but sometimes you should read the opponents and adapt the style of play. This season Spurs did that at home vs Dortmund and it worked for them. Playing highline against Ronaldo, Bale is just asking for trouble. If Marcelo was playing scoreline would have been even more embarrassing.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
At half time Spurs had two shots. Two half chances. One of them even a silly gift from Sahin, who decided to go down for a free kick (which wasn't given) instead of simply playing a pass back to Bürki or clearing the ball. If that's an exposed defense then I'd like to see a secure one. Later in the second Tottenham obviously got more spaces and chances, but that's only natural, when you're down a/two goals and have to abandon patience.

Dortmund is an attacking team, it's their club philosophy which their squad is built around. Playing dominant attacking football is what the club as a whole is committed too, so you don't simply make a U-turn and say "okay lads, today we're parking the bus". Especially not against a team of Real's quality who are very well equiped to deal with defensive opponents. And when you cede all control and momentum it's twice as hard to come back into the game once they score.