g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bouhafsi: Martial wants to leave United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noc-Z

ffs
The fuss is because he could have been a Ronaldo or Beckham, and if you disagree, you haven't seen him play at his best. His ability to get past players and drive forward was Ronaldo-esque. Jose is literally the reason he's gone, the reason why he hasn't performed and the reason why he's not happy here. Thing is, Martials young, has only just begun his career and can develop into one of the best. If we get Bale as a replacement, he'll give us 3 seasons probably then decline. Sanchez who replaced him is the same situation. He was entitled to play all games before we got Sanchez anyway, he was on form. This is why I didn't want Jose in, he's ruining all our young players (Martial, Shaw, Pereira's probably going to leave, even Rashford, TFM hasn't seen much game time under him).
I can't agree with this. Martial hasn't shown Mourinho enough of anything to be a starter. Mourinho is not the only manager to have criticised Shaw, again there's no evidence he's anywhere near being a top player. Pereira's loan seems to have gone well, so it seems to me he is developing, albeit away from Old Trafford, there's no way I'd want him as a first choice player yet though. TFM went on loan, didn't set the world on fire, but thats OK, he needs more play time, but we can't afford him that, he's not ready either. Rashford has had plenty of play time for a player of his age and ability, at this stage in his career and has mostly just done OK recently.

The Manchester United first team is not a development team. Jose is not here to develop players, he is here to win trophies. If these guys are not good enough, right here, right now (and they're not) then they don't start games, simple as that. We can't afford this luxury now more than ever.

I don't know what people want from Jose now? To play a team of Martial, Rashford, TFM, Pereira, Shaw, McTominay, Angel Gomes, Ethan Hamilton and Charlie Scott? Just bench Lukaku, Pogba, Matic and Sanchez, not win anything but hope these young guys come good in 5 years time?

haram

Aguero 30
Silva 32
Kompany 32
Fernandinho 33
Otamendi 30

Pep's 30 year old army hurr durr

RedDevil-85

Sad news this and something i feared when it became clear that Sanchez was brought in to play on the left.
I can understand Martial,he had good form then Sanchez came in and Martial got dropped right away.
3 players fighting for one spot was never gonna work,its just sad that we lose the most talented one.

Hope we sell him abroad,dont want to see Martial become a great player at another PL club.

Joseunited

Sad news this and something i feared when it became clear that Sanchez was brought in to play on the left.
I can understand Martial,he had good form then Sanchez came in and Martial got dropped right away.
3 players fighting for one spot was never gonna work,its just sad that we lose the most talented one.

Hope we sell him abroad,dont want to see Martial become a great player at another PL club.
You don't think he had more than enough time to force his way into the starting XI,it's all just Mourinho's fault and not the player?

iKeano

So you're just making stuff up.
Valencia - 32
Young - 32
Mata - 30
Fellaini - 30
Sanchez - 30 in December

Lamenting Fellaini, letting Martial slide - José is a dinosaur.

Comparing Pep to José is like comparing a Ferrari with a bus, literally. In any event, if José's 30 year old army looked anywhere close to Pep's 30 year old army this season, your argument might have some sort of validity.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I find the Martial comparison with Sanchez absolutely ridiculous. Just because Sanchez has been way below his best lately? They are not from the same planet.
Martial has potential, no doubt but potential is what it is, nothing more. Let Martial prove himself first before we start that conversation. If Sanchez was available and United failed to get him in January, I bet most people here would have been furious. Easy to criticize the move now with the benefit of hindsight but some months of experiencing dip in form won't suddenly wipe away Sanchez's quality. He has done it in Italy, Spain and England. He will do it gain at United.
I can't wait till next season to see the real Alexis Sanchez. If I was Martial, I will go to Sanchez every other day to get tips from him. When Zlatan came, I would have gone to him and ask, 'Do you want my shirt number? Please take it. It is a great honour to play beside you.' I would go to Jose every day to ask him what he prefers me to do on the pitch. And I will shut my agent up.
I've read that Zlatan and Sanchez are reasons for Martial to want to leave, and that he should be given the keys to our attack because he'll be world class eventually. Perhaps Martial loves the fans because they feed his ego so much. It also seems to happen in the squad, I think they joke about him being the 'French Messi'.

SAF's hairdryer treatment would sort him out I think. But, Mourinho is too laid back for that.

LOL. It's FIFA where you play players regardless of form.
I haven't played FIFA in almost 10 years, I've seen they do 'in-form' players now.

Also every top manager plays certain players regardless of form, because they fit the requirements for the position they play. Only when they do not follow instructions is when they are dropped. If you think otherwise then you are clueless.

haram

Valencia - 32
Young - 32
Mata - 30
Fellaini - 30
Sanchez - 30 in December

Comparing Pep to José is like comparing a Ferrari with a bus, literally. In any event, if José's 30 year old army looked anywhere close to Pep's 30 year old army this season, your argument might have some sort of validity.
Aguero 30
Silva 32
Kompany 32
Fernandinho 33
Otamendi 30

cyberman

Valencia - 32
Young - 32
Mata - 30
Fellaini - 30
Sanchez - 30 in December

Your list is so shit its forced to include a 29 year old!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
People seem to have forgotten his injury issues after Sanchez signed and his games up top when Lukaku. Didn’t really perform in the latter stages of the season. Obviously this will all be Jose’ fault!
But saying that club isn’t interested in selling him. So he can knuckle down or sulk and get lots of sympathy at having to turn up and earn tens of thousands a week at the hands of cruel Jose!
This is true, some people need to watch those games again. Maybe it wasn't Martial playing? maybe it was Anthony. :D

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I can't see him fulfilling any potential he has here. We need to sell.
Sad as he's an exciting prospect but I'd be more comfortable bringing in a more mature player but not too old.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This true, some people need to watch those games again. Maybe it wasn't Martial playing? maybe it was Anthony. :D
I'd say all of our attackers have been pretty shite bar Lukaku since Sanchez' arrival. And the thing is the club wants him to stay and he is pushing for a move (or more money).

He got 1 assists and 0 goals in 509 minutes. That is really really bad, even worse than Sanchez who has obviously struggled.

Amir

The Manchester United first team is not a development team. Jose is not here to develop players, he is here to win trophies. If these guys are not good enough, right here, right now (and they're not) then they don't start games, simple as that. We can't afford this luxury now more than ever.
If we had that attitude in the past, we'd have let Ronaldo go before 2006/7.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Only way I can see this resolved is if he and Mourinho sit down.

MrBest

Why are people bringing up lingard and herrera's response to competitionas a stick to beat martial with? Lingard and herrera have face FAIR competition, namely if x is underperfoming there is a fair chance that I will be put into the team after a while. Conversely, if I am performing then my spot is safe. (You can bring up herrera losing his spot this season after winning POTY but that was due to tactical reasons)

Martial on the other hand hasn't had fair competition with sanchez. When he had fair competition with Rashford, he pulled his socks up, didn't complain and won he pis spot back. Against sanchez, there seems to be nothing martial can do to regain his spot and there is no assurance that sanchez can ever be dropped. Consequently, he is playing against a stacked deck. That is not FAIR competition.
completely agree, Sanchez has not been good and this surely has played on Martial's mind. Martial V Sanchez in 1718, Martial was the better player especially the last 6 months. Just before Martial was dropped, he was on fire. He has a bad game against Spurs as did the whole team but after that, it was always Sanchez who was going to win. Whether this form is down to Jose tactics or not (i believe so), Martial has no chance so if i was him, i would move.

red4ever 79

Isnt he upset about the contract terms and not about the fight for a starting spot. We can afford to give the Chilean 5 trucks of green currency but we cant sort out a suitable tender for this young chap

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why are people bringing up lingard and herrera's response to competitionas a stick to beat martial with? Lingard and herrera have face FAIR competition, namely if x is underperfoming there is a fair chance that I will be put into the team after a while. Conversely, if I am performing then my spot is safe. (You can bring up herrera losing his spot this season after winning POTY but that was due to tactical reasons)

Martial on the other hand hasn't had fair competition with sanchez. When he had fair competition with Rashford, he pulled his socks up, didn't complain and won he pis spot back. Against sanchez, there seems to be nothing martial can do to regain his spot and there is no assurance that sanchez can ever be dropped. Consequently, he is playing against a stacked deck. That is not FAIR competition.
Not to mention that Lingards competition is with Mata, and basically himself. It's basically whoever plays less shit on the right and runs around more without having a significant impact gets that spot. Then as you say, Herrera has fair competition (though also is the automatic choice when we play a midfield 3). So again, not really competition, its clear what his route into the team. Not the case with Martial. He can score a hat trick and he'd still be pushed to the right wing instead of taking Sanchez's spot. Just like with Rashford vs liverpool and the games after.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
All this 'not prepared to buckle down' nonsense - He's stuck it out for two years with a manager who has never really believed in him, has disrespected him by stripping him of his shirt number without even asking, who last year was looking to replace him with fecking ivan perisic and after signing RW Alexis Sanchez, chose to play Sanchez on the left wing ahead of him while the right wing continues to be fecking awful.

After two years, I think it's a fair assumption for Martial that Mourinho's perception of him as a squad player in the longterm is not going to change and that other managers elsewhere will not think the same. He will be watching the world cup at home this summer and he is probably right in thinking that he'd be part of it with a different manager the past two years.

And of course he is leaving. Martial's camp let it be known months ago through Bouhafsi. Mourinho has done little to try and change his mind since. This is just confirming their stance.

Lentwood

I can't agree with this. Martial hasn't shown Mourinho enough of anything to be a starter. Mourinho is not the only manager to have criticised Shaw, again there's no evidence he's anywhere near being a top player. Pereira's loan seems to have gone well, so it seems to me he is developing, albeit away from Old Trafford, there's no way I'd want him as a first choice player yet though. TFM went on loan, didn't set the world on fire, but thats OK, he needs more play time, but we can't afford him that, he's not ready either. Rashford has had plenty of play time for a player of his age and ability, at this stage in his career and has mostly just done OK recently.

I don't know what people want from Jose now? To play a team of Martial, Rashford, TFM, Pereira, Shaw, McTominay, Angel Gomes, Ethan Hamilton and Charlie Scott? Just bench Lukaku, Pogba, Matic and Sanchez, not win anything but hope these young guys come good in 5 years time?
Glad that there ARE still people on this forum that get it

stu_1992

Well this news is very expected. There seems to be a lot of drama on here about this. I can't say I feel overly concerned (like I did when Ronaldo left, or if De Gea were to leave) but I'd rather keep him then sell him. However if he goes I won't be predicting the end of times. He's been good for us at times, but never shown it consistently even when got chances. Could go onto be fantastic elsewhere because he has the talent, but that's by no means guaranteed like some people seem to think on here.

Smores

Isnt he upset about the contract terms and not about the fight for a starting spot. We can afford to give the Chilean 5 trucks of green currency but we cant sort out a suitable tender for this young chap
Who says we haven't and he still wants more?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think we will hold onto Martial this summer but it will depend on how Sanchez does, if he is still failing to impress I can see Mou warming to Martial again.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Ferguson would have begged to differ and pointed to Ronaldo as one of many reasons why.

That fans are thinking like you just goes to show that Mourinho was the wrong appointment. With sufficient time, he'll change your club dna.

gajender

I've read that Zlatan and Sanchez are reasons for Martial to want to leave, and that he should be given the keys to our attack because he'll be world class eventually. Perhaps Martial loves the fans because they feed his ego so much. It also seems to happen in the squad, I think they joke about him being the 'French Messi'.

SAF's hairdryer treatment would sort him out I think. But, Mourinho is too laid back for that.

I haven't played FIFA in almost 10 years, I've seen they do 'in-form' players now.

Also every top manager plays certain players regardless of form, because they fit the requirements for the position they play. Only when they do not follow instructions is when they are dropped. If you think otherwise then you are clueless.
On this very forum I have read some very strange comments but this one takes the cake no manager can afford to play out of form players indefinitely irrespective of them following his instructions to the tee or them being his favourites they may get longer leash to sort their form but they certainly would be dropped if they continue to underperform no two ways about it.

TsuWave

So? You just give up? The comments from the France national setup arent exactly glowing either
if he has better options, why not explore them? if my coworkers aren't actively getting the same treatment i get, especially when/if i'm more efficient/productive than many of them, at some point, i'll start looking somewhere else. Martial isn't our only player that has stagnated and/or maybe regressed

PepsiCola

So we've already started with the character assassination. Some of of lots are downright pathetic. And yes you deserve to be called on that if you're gonna make bs up to justify wanting a player to leave.
Yup.

Noc-Z

ffs
If we had that attitude in the past, we'd have let Ronaldo go before 2006/7.
Things were very different then, we had a team of successful winners, and we had the luxury of developing players patiently. We don't have that luxury any more.

Ferguson would have begged to differ and pointed to Ronaldo as one of many reasons why.

That fans are thinking like you just goes to show that Mourinho was the wrong appointment. With sufficient time, he'll change your club dna.
See above. And Ferguson was a ruthless, born winner. The Ronaldo situation was totally different.

When Ferguson HAD to win, he made signings like RVP, not like Ronaldo. Mourinho now HAS to win. He can't accommodate players in development.

Ronaldo is a great example to pull out in any number of threads about loads of issues. But really, how many players like Ronaldo have existed, ever?

He's nothing like Martial, I know that much.

EDIT: Also, I said the Manchester United first team is not a development team, that doesn't mean that we can't develop players via other avenues, which we do.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He stinks as a lone striker. No way is he a centre forward focal point for a team. He has to play on the left, so he has fought for his position with two players, Rashford and the last five months, Sanchez.
Guess we will find out when he leaves

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
2 positions.
Yes point being he has fought for his place. Its a bit ridiculous for people to act like he hasnt. He started the season on the bench.

Anyway its prob best for all parties for him to leave now. United can invest in a RW and hopefully Sanchez improves next season after being more settled

Kearnkoff69

It's crazy to me that a Liverpool fan is speaking the most sense about United's culture and history, but I 100% agree. We always prized our culture of giving talented youngsters a chance, building squads smartly, and balancing success in the present with the future. To run away from that now for a purely win-now mentality would be folly.

Grande

I'm of the opinion that he's not serious about wanting to leaving the club, but rather doing this as a way to get more minutes & attention next season.

Basically he's had a bit of a strop, he wants us to acknowledge that he's having a strop, and give him love and a hug.
How about a double birthday cake?

Infra-red

It's crazy to me that a Liverpool fan is speaking the most sense about United's culture and history, but I 100% agree. We always prized our culture of giving talented youngsters a chance, building squads smartly, and balancing success in the present with the future. To run away from that now for a purely win-now mentality would be folly.
To be clear, we haven't decided to sell him, he's decided to leave.

Kearnkoff69

To be clear, we haven't decided to sell him, he's decided to leave.
I'm aware.

If you go back to the post I was commenting on, there was a broader discussion about how United isn't supposed to develop younger players and how we just need to win trophies, period. I've made my own thoughts about Martial's decision to go public with this clear earlier in the thread.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Don't really get the drama, we won't sell him this summer, we just wont. This will be postponed another year at worst and we'll revist what his mindset is summer 2019.

Rolaholic

So we've already started with the character assassination. Some of of lots are downright pathetic. And yes you deserve to be called on that if you're gonna make bs up to justify wanting a player to leave.
It's been disgusting to see

breakout67

Supports
Man City
On this very forum I have read some very strange comments but this one takes the cake no manager can afford to play out of form players indefinitely irrespective of them following his instructions to the tee or them being his favourites they may get longer leash to sort their form but they certainly would be dropped if they continue to underperform no two ways about it.
Form is with relation to following instructions. Manager's don't assess players through gut feel or goals/assists or other such characteristics that fans use.

If you follow instructions you have played well, if you don't follow instructions then you haven't played well. That is how managers view the game. Listen to what Henry said about Guardiola. Henry scored a goal and felt he had a brilliant game, but Guardiola reamed him after the game for not following his instructions.

For top managers, it is all about the process. If one player breaks rank then the whole team structure can fall apart.

Mainoldo

Well atleast the club trust in his ability like most on this thread. He won’t be sold and Mourinho will probably be sacked at the end of next season. I just hope Woody invest in a manger that plays attacking football and improves attacking talent. Our hiring of managers and transfer policy have been paradox.

Status
Not open for further replies.