Bouhafsi: Martial wants to leave United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyslexic Untied

Linking Martial wanting to leave with Jose tearing down the DNA of United by not focusing on youth development is missing the target IMO.

Mourinho's given lots of playing time to Rashford, Lingard and brought through McTominay. Our promising young defenders have been given good loan deals, so has Pereira who chose to go on loan. We just bought a 19 year old full back who Mourinho has stated he rates highly. Mourinho, for all the criticism aimed at him with regards to his history with youth players, has done a fairly good job in that respect at United.

Not that selling Martial could in any event be used as a reason to claim that we are no longer focusing on developing youth. Martial wasn't some gem we unearthed through our ranks. He was purchased for an insane amount after having already played 50 or so matches in a top flight European league.

Natyd

Well atleast the club trust in his ability like most on this thread. He won’t be sold and Mourinho will probably be sacked at the end of next season. I just hope Woody invest in a manger that plays attacking football and improves attacking talent. Our hiring of managers and transfer policy have been paradox.
Totally agree i can see Mourinho going by xmas if results are not what they need to be and it makes no sense getting rid of Martial only to regret it a la pogba

Stubble

TBH i'm conflicted by this. Tragedy to lose a young player with obvious potential who may do great things elsewhere but also don't see a future/niche for him in a team with Sanchez and Rashford nailed on 1st and 2nd choices on the left unless he was willing to be VERY patient (obviously not the case). If we invest the cash wisely in a top quality right winger i'll stomach him leaving as overall the team balance would benefit - but if he goes and we don't address that i'd be really p*ssed with the manager and the club..

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
But martial more productive over 90 minutes than sanchez so what has that got to do with anything
You think Martial don't lose possession? KdB was at the top in lost possession stat, it means nothing for attacking players.

mancan92

I was a little disappointed in Lukaku going, less so for De Bruyne and didn't give a single shit about Salah.

There's people in this thread who seen genuinely angry, as if it was De Gea looking to leave.
But your probably very disappointed now looking at them.
Knowing that the reason they left is because they weren't given a fair shot by Mourinho.
At the time also Chelsea fans saw mourinho as a god so anything he said must be right whereas united fans are understandably more unsure on his decision making.

flappyjay

Removing all his United pictures from his social media is a bit of a petty move, if he's done that to show he's moved on from the club then so be it.
Who can we replace him with? I hope we don't chase Bale like fools all summer.
He actually deleted all pictures back in may. He did that last year too. Don't read too much into it

Cloud7

All this 'not prepared to buckle down' nonsense - He's stuck it out for two years with a manager who has never really believed in him, has disrespected him by stripping him of his shirt number without even asking, who last year was looking to replace him with fecking ivan perisic and after signing RW Alexis Sanchez, chose to play Sanchez on the left wing ahead of him while the right wing continues to be fecking awful.

After two years, I think it's a fair assumption for Martial that Mourinho's perception of him as a squad player in the longterm is not going to change and that other managers elsewhere will not think the same. He will be watching the world cup at home this summer and he is probably right in thinking that he'd be part of it with a different manager the past two years.

And of course he is leaving. Martial's camp let it be known months ago through Bouhafsi. Mourinho has done little to try and change his mind since. This is just confirming their stance.
A Liverpool fan making more sense than the majority of United fans. I truly lament where we have found ourselves.

haram

But your probably very disappointed now looking at them.
Knowing that the reason they left is because they weren't given a fair shot by Mourinho.
At the time also Chelsea fans saw mourinho as a god so anything he said must be right whereas united fans are understandably more unsure on his decision making.
They needed to play every week. They moved and Chelsea still won the league.

RedDevil-85

You don't think he had more than enough time to force his way into the starting XI,it's all just Mourinho's fault and not the player?
If there was one player who should have to force his way into the starting XL,it was Sanchez cause Martial played quite good at the time if my memory serves me right.But Sanchez didnt have to force his way in,the starting place seemed to be his as soon as he came in the door and he could keep playing badly while starting the next match.

Eugenius

This sound familiar?

“Romelu was always very clear with us with his mentality and his approach was not highly motivated to come to a competitive situation with Chelsea,” he said. “He wanted to play for Chelsea but he clearly wanted to be first-choice striker, but for a club of our dimension it is very difficult to promise to a player.

PepsiCola

All this 'not prepared to buckle down' nonsense - He's stuck it out for two years with a manager who has never really believed in him, has disrespected him by stripping him of his shirt number without even asking, who last year was looking to replace him with fecking ivan perisic and after signing RW Alexis Sanchez, chose to play Sanchez on the left wing ahead of him while the right wing continues to be fecking awful.

After two years, I think it's a fair assumption for Martial that Mourinho's perception of him as a squad player in the longterm is not going to change and that other managers elsewhere will not think the same. He will be watching the world cup at home this summer and he is probably right in thinking that he'd be part of it with a different manager the past two years.

And of course he is leaving. Martial's camp let it be known months ago through Bouhafsi. Mourinho has done little to try and change his mind since. This is just confirming their stance.
Good post

el3mel

His agent last season also came out of nowhere and said Sevilla want to sign him. Won't be a surprise if his agent is talking out of his arse to press United to play his player regularly or sell him.

acnumber9

Totally agree i can see Mourinho going by xmas if results are not what they need to be and it makes no sense getting rid of Martial only to regret it a la pogba
So what should we do if we sack Mourinho and Martial still wants to leave? Keep sacking managers until we find one Martial likes? But what if Martial really likes him but he’s shit? Do we keep because then Martial will stay? Can you see how ridiculous this is yet?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A Liverpool fan making more sense than the majority of United fans. I truly lament where we have found ourselves.
It's inaccurate. He isn't at the world cup because of Jose. It's because he has always been poor for France.

Also he has been poor for the last two seasons because teams have worked him out.

ash_86

Seen on reddit that he has a 50% sell on clause that goes to Monaco for any amount between 60- 100M. Not sure the validity of the clause but basically we could end up with just £30m-£35m if thats true.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Seen on reddit that he has a 50% sell on clause that goes to Monaco for any amount between 60- 100M. Not sure the validity of the clause but basically we could end up with just £30m-£35m if thats true.
Would you mind sharing the link? A 50% sell-on clause sounds excessive.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
That would be 50% of amount more than 60M, so if we sell him for 70 million then we will get 65 million, if the clause is even real.

Walters_19_MuFc

Makes sense. The addition of Sanchez means we now have three left wingers, in Sanchez, Rashford and Martial.

With Sanchez expected to be first choice, it leaves Martial either second or third choice. It also means that because Martial can only play on the left wing, it limits his chances of playing.

Jose did experiment with him on the right, but he's clearly better on the left.

As good as he can be on his day, Martial leaving would balance our squad a lot more if we were to replace him with a right winger.

Last season, our right wingers were Mata and Lingard. Despite the two doing a decent job when called upon, the two are not right wingers. They're much better centrally.

Acquiring a right winger for Martial would leave us with:

Left Wing

Sanchez
Rashford

Right Wing

New Winger
Lingard

Ideally, I'd have liked us to acquire a right winger instead of Sanchez (did think Jose was going to play him on the right), leaving us with Martial and Rashford as our left wing options, but it obviously wasn't meant to be.

Going into next season, Sanchez will need to be on top of his game, otherwise I can imagine Jose will get a lot of stick. Martial is a bit of a fan favourite.

Natyd

So what should we do if we sack Mourinho and Martial still wants to leave? Keep sacking managers until we find one Martial likes? But what if Martial really likes him but he’s shit? Do we keep because then Martial will stay? Can you see how ridiculous this is yet?
No we keep Martial and wait for the inevitable Mourinho 3rd season collapse then see where the waters lie

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Well Lingard grabbed his opportunities with both hands, as did A.Young
That's not fair, Martial is world class potential and Lingard and Young are donkeys that will follow what the manager wants. So you have to accommodate Martial or else he'll be the next KdB!

Did I do it right?

Highfather_24

Makes sense. The addition of Sanchez means we now have three left wingers, in Sanchez, Rashford and Martial.

With Sanchez expected to be first choice, it leaves Martial either second or third choice. It also means that because Martial can only play on the left wing, it limits his chances of playing.

As good as he can be on his day, Martial leaving would balance our squad a lot more if we were to replace him with a right winger.

Last season, our right wingers were Mata and Lingard. Despite the two doing a decent job when called upon, the two are not right wingers. They're much better centrally.

Left Wing

Sanchez
Rashford

Right Wing

New Winger
Lingard

Ideally, I'd have liked us to acquire a right winger instead of Sanchez (did think Jose was going to play him on the right), leaving us with Martial and Rashford as our left wing options, but it obviously wasn't meant to be.

Going into next season, Sanchez will need to be on top of his game, otherwise I can imagine Jose will get a lot of stick. Martial is a bit of a fan favourite.
So do you think we need a backup striker for Lukaku considering Rashford will be backup for Sanchez?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
That's not fair, Martial is world class potential and Lingard and Young are donkeys that will follow what the manager wants. So you have to accommodate Martial or else he'll be the next KdB!

Did I do it right?
I know you're joking but the difference is the latter play like they give a shit. Just never saw any intensity from Martial. The highs were very high, however when not on it he was invisible.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I get that you're trying to be dramatic, but that's not a thing that exists.
I sort of agree. But there is a "what we want to be as a club" culture and he's absolutely wrecking havoc with that. Of course, it's as fast to change direction as a new manager saying "now it'll be different", but the implementation might take some time depending on how embedded the work of the predecessor is. Ie. I don't think Rashford would be where he is without LVG giving youth such chances. And the next manager might not find much youth to work with the longer mourinho stays.

Of course, it's not as straightforward as that. Ferguson was famous for his youth focus and the legacy he left to his predecessor was more notable for a sizeable old guard holding the fort well past their expiration date, with younger players who couldn't really fill the boots.

TheReligion

Abusive
I sort of agree. But there is a "what we want to be as a club" culture and he's absolutely wrecking havoc with that. Of course, it's as fast to change direction as a new manager saying "now it'll be different", but the implementation might take some time depending on how embedded the work of the predecessor is. Ie. I don't think Rashford would be where he is without LVG giving youth such chances. And the next manager might not find much youth to work with the longer mourinho stays.

Of course, it's not as straightforward as that. Ferguson was famous for his youth focus and the legacy he left to his predecessor was more notable for a sizeable old guard holding the fort well past their expiration date, with younger players who couldn't really fill the boots.
Rashford got a chance due to a last minute injury crisis.

Mourinho has been pretty good at promoting youth thus far and has handed a number of players their debuts at the club.

The whole thing is a bit of a myth really when you look at the fact Klopp, Guardiola and Conte do even less than Mou in that department.

EyeInTheSky

so we went from "ferguson got rid" to "pogba chose to leave", is it oochiee wally wally or is it one mic? make up your mind, i know you're into creative writing but at least choose a path.

pogba left because he felt he was ready and he wasn't getting opportunities, united and ferguson tried to keep him, he rejected the offer and chose to leave, he was justified and proven right in doing so because he became a hit at juve to the point we broke the world transfer record to bring him back. these are the facts.

you are spending your time on redcafe banging your keyboard writing weird fanfiction about players' attitudes and work ethic, which is stuff you absolutely pulled from your ass. i sincerely hope you are not an adult, or at the very least that you are inebriated, as those are the only things i can come up with to explain such odd behaviour.

go get some sleep man

No, I am not saying that. I was posing the question that with all things considred like the fact that maybe he just did not want to deal with his agent or the relationship was so bad that it was not a massive blow to just cut our losses. Also in light of him not getting any minutes after the spat then it is worth thinking about.

What I actually said was that if SAF really wanted to keep him then he would have given him at least 1 game since during the public spat he did not even give him any minutes in a bloody league cup game. Logic would dictate that if you play a fecking full back in CM and leave Pogba out or not give him any time on the pitch at all in a very low stake game then either you don't value him that much or you wanted to teach him a lesson but it back-fired instead.

I only even diverted down that topic of questioning how much SAF valued him because of your belligerent post on it. Facts are Both Jose and SAF offered the respective players contracts and they both threw their toys out of the pram regardless. I wonder if you would make the argument that Jose really wants Martial to stay since he has been offered a contract similarly to SAF offering one to Pogba back at the time?

The point here is that I was not talking about SAF's desire to keep him in the first place, I was responding to another poster about what SAF would have done considering Martial is in the exact same situation only difference being he did actually get game time. But you decided to hijack the conversation in some cringe-worthy attempt to score some brownie points instead of looking at the conversation and took what you want out of it.

So to make it simple for you. The question I was answering was around what would SAF do with the Martial. To which my answer was the same as he has done with players young or old if they showed a bad attitude or were putting out stories in the press to undermine the Club and manager which was to feck them off.

The irony is that I agree with this approach under SAF and Jose to these types of situations Pogba and other included as no player should act like this and try and hold the club to ransom.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt initially but after that mess of a post, it is clear you belong in the ignore bin. Maybe you can find like mined melts in their that would appreciate your drivel. Just in case you were wondering why your post was in red, I thought it would be helpful to highlight which bits of it were utter shite.

;)

Marcky411

Left Wing

Sanchez
Rashford

Right Wing

New Winger
Lingard

I think not only Jose will be getting stick but Sanchez as well. Most fans are quite disappointed in Sanchez they were expecting a lot more from a player like him with PL experience.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d say it has more to do with the fact that the new contract offer isn’t a huge jump, they’ve been negotiating 8 months and he could probably make more and be a starter elsewhere.

Money money money

He shouldn’t be getting a huge raise based on what we’ve seen right?

I guess that’s the main reason. He can frame that as the club not believing in him then...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I’d say it has more to do with the fact that the new contract offer isn’t a huge jump, they’ve been negotiating 8 months and he could probably make more and be a starter elsewhere.

Money money money

He shouldn’t be getting a huge raise based on what we’ve seen right?

I guess that’s the main reason. He can frame that as the club not believing in him then...
Or maybe it's that he isn't playing enough and trusted enough, ultimately missing out on a world cup because of this.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm conflicted. I grew up believing no player should be bigger than the club.

That was an easier mantra to go by when the manager managing your club was Alex Ferguson and you fully bought into his ways.

Mourinho, on the other hand....

acnumber9

No we keep Martial and wait for the inevitable Mourinho 3rd season collapse then see where the waters lie
Yeah and I’m asking then what? You don’t sack a manager because a player people like has thrown his toys out of the pram.

stepic

Let’s face it he hasn’t been consistent for us since that opening first season. I don’t want him to leave but if he doesn’t want to fight for his spot for one of the biggest clubs in the world, well. Enjoy what will be an inevitable step down, as none of the other elite clubs will sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.