Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I've just explained. It's partly right wing xenophobes in America that have had sympathy for Putin and Kim Jong in the last few years. Same counter intuitive lack of logic. It's not a clear a case of the Klan supporting North Korea, its part of the polarising culture war that often contradicts because its not actually ideological.

Conversely the lefties who want a boycott are apparently the racists despite being pretty much the same people who support things like BLM and opposed the gulf wars.
As usual, I'm interested only in Qatar and the World Cup

I have not seen anything anywhere that suggests that "right wing xenophobes" support a World Cup in Qatar

stevoc

Let's see what happens in the next world cup. Would there be any of this when it's being hosted in USA and Canada and Mexico? I bet nothing much would be said about the bombings, occupation and Guantanamo.
As another OP was saying that Guantanamo is as bad as some prisons in other countries is why not much is said about it. This is exactly why people should shout the same about each and every country. Some guys shouting in a forum is not going to make much of a difference but the western newspapers were all cheering for these kinds of bombings and invasion and occupations. Let's see what they say in 4 years time.
Yes let's and let's hope that that World Cup is used as a platform by sections of the media to highlight the problematic issues you've mentioned not only about America but also some of the things going on in Mexico and Canada too. Like the methods Mexico's military use to control drug trafficking or Canada's treatment of indigenous people.

But until then your main contribution to people trying to discuss the issues surrounding this current World Cup and it's hosts human rights abuses has been basically just barging into the discussion every few pages to shout. ''But what about Merica?''

If there's a thread in 3 years discussing America's human rights abuses in the lead up to that World Cup. Will you suddenly become very concerned about discussing the human rights abuses of China, Russia, India etc. in those threads?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
That's the thing though, they do bizarrely. In these times of culture wars and lack of nuance there are sections of right wing xenophobes who do support it because the wokerati have an issue with it. Also backing perceived strongarm governments in en vogue. Americans backing Putin would he unheard of in times past. It's a disaster and that's why this debate is a mess of whataboutery and rarely touches on the crux of the issue and we end up talking about so many irrelevant and bizarre analogies instead of the welfare of the individuals in question. It's often not about them at all.

I've just explained. It's partly right wing xenophobes in America that have had sympathy for Putin and Kim Jong in the last few years. Same counter intuitive lack of logic. It's not a clear a case of the Klan supporting North Korea, its part of the polarising culture war that often contradicts because its not actually ideological.

Conversely the lefties who want a boycott are apparently the racists despite being pretty much the same people who support things like BLM and opposed the gulf wars.
That's a giant assumption. Either they do support the world cup, and this can be evidenced by actual examples, or you're assuming they can based on tangential, but inaccurate logic.

Let's see what happens in the next world cup. Would there be any of this when it's being hosted in USA and Canada and Mexico? I bet nothing much would be said about the bombings, occupation and Guantanamo.
As another OP was saying that Guantanamo is as bad as some prisons in other countries is why not much is said about it. This is exactly why people should shout the same about each and every country. Some guys shouting in a forum is not going to make much of a difference but the western newspapers were all cheering for these kinds of bombings and invasion and occupations. Let's see what they say in 4 years time.
Yes, Guantanamo is terrible. But Qatar was particularly awful as a location for a world cup as they literally had no infrastructure to support a world cup when it was given to them. No football stadiums, no accommodation, no facilities or cities to host.

To get the world cup ready, Qatar had to import an entire new workforce from south Asia. Thousands of people died to get the country ready for the world cup. That makes this different from a world cup in the US, or Brazil. As much as Guantanamo is a travesty, it has nothing to do with the world cup. Whereas, the thousands of labourers who have died in Qatar over the last 10 years died getting the country ready for the world cup.

So it is legitimate to ask the question about this world cup specifically - it cost many human lives, was it worth it?

We can criticise other countries that host the world cup, sure, but there are problems connected to Qatar hosting the world cup that we need to talk about, cos they're fundamental to the world cup experience.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No. This bullshit, divisive take is just so far off the fecking mark and it’s bang out of order.

So many of us marched and protested against the disgusting actions of Blair and Bush and the havoc they wreaked in the ME.

We are not them, we made that clear to the fecking World (yes, if you disagree with a repulsive leadership you CAN voice that and stand against it). We have benefitted nothing from their actions and don’t support them.

This dangerous, bullshit angle that Infantino spewed out of basically - ‘if you criticise Qatar, dats racist’, is so fecking wrong and offensive. Not to mention slippery and cowardly of him.

Trying to make it a binary issue of West vs ME to deflect from fifa and qatar and using weaponised language that prevents discussion.

The irony in this, is that the exact same people who are disgusted by Qatar’s treatment of gay people and migrant workers are same fecking people that marched against those bombings you’re using as argument leverage - do you realise that!?

The reasoning being the same - ‘that’s fecking wrong, stop treating innocent people like shit’.

They’re the same people that’ve argued the case against Islamophobia in Britain and America - they’re not the fecking racists. They’re the type of people that hate oppression and will call out shithead regimes and corruption WHEREVER it’s occurring.

Go look in the CE forum - how did people react when Boris Johnson made racist comments about Muslim women? They called him out, as a fat, idiotic xenophobic cnut. That’s the same people that wanna call out homophobia in Qatar, whether it’s considered religious ‘values’ or not.

The people that are repulsed by Qatar’s censorship and oppression aren’t fecking Tommy Robinson fans mate, they’re the opposite.

Indeed, the right wing xenophobes who couldn’t give a feck about gays or migrant workers and likely supported the bombings you’re talking about - they’re the ones aligning with Qatar’s stance here.
Standing ovation.gif

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
That's a giant assumption. Either they do support the world cup, and this can be evidenced by actual examples, or you're assuming they can based on tangential, but inaccurate logic.
No, don't be silly, it's just part of what's skewing the discourse. There are many valid discussions being conflated. It's not a controversial take.

I'm assuming nothing, all are partially true but that's the thread people cling to because it suits their overall narrative.

The truth as ever is a mix of all.

I was just explaining how some right wing xenophobes hold counter intuitive positions. The opposite is true. Lots of lefties have a knee jerk sympathy with Putin due to anti Nato skepticism.

Edit - Just as some will oppose the world cup based on other people's hunan rights claims because they are actually xenophobes. Its that messed up. They pick one talking point and go with it.

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
As usual, I'm interested only in Qatar and the World Cup

I have not seen anything anywhere that suggests that "right wing xenophobes" support a World Cup in Qatar

OK. Sometimes you do need to get a wider lens to get the full picture though. I'm not saying the World Cup is in any way xenophobic. It's just not always linear.

Don't think so. People speaking up against the wc in Qatar are speaking from the perspective of migrant right and LGBTQ rights. These are left-wing arguments. Centrist, liberal publications (i.e. the guardian, European political parties, the bbc) have criticised the WC but they haven't boycotted. More right-wing news orgs (piers morgan, fox news) haven't criticised the WC at all. Criticism of the world cup has basically come from the left, and that isn't surprising - it's the left that cares about migrant rights and LGBTQ rights.

The arguments against boycotting are authoritarian - they're about the fact that Qatar should be able to do what it wants inside Qatar. That's the same as China telling human rights orgs to get out of China, or Israel telling human rights orgs to get out of Israel/Palestine. In fact, Qatar's arguments that criticisms of it are racist are basically an exact replica of Israel calling anyone who talks about its treatment of Palestinians antisemitic.

@moses It sort of makes sense that right-wing xenophobes would support the world cup, as it sets a precedent that you can host a major international event and just tell everyone talking about human rights to shut up. It doesn't really matter if the authoritarian is Muslim or christian or secular - that's just window dressing

TheLiverBird

Strange, the only stories I hear coming out is how the fans who have travelled there are having an amazing experience and the hospitality has been spot on. Even some of the pundits have been saying how good the experience has been.
You do know Pundits aren’t Migrants don’t you?

you do know travelling football fans aren’t migrants either don’t you??

I’ve seen this mentioned before and was listening to some of the guys on Talksport talk about how well received they’ve been etc etc

The pundits and media have been treated with hospitality and VIP status’s

Of course their treatment is going to be utterly fantastic, possibly second too none

All this talk of how well we’ve been treated (none migrants) is throwing a blanket over the treatment of the migrants.

I’ve not boycotted this WC though as that would achieve entirely nothing, me sitting at home in my lounge refusing to watch it isn’t going to make a blind bit of difference :lol:

As far as WC’s go it’s been fantastic

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
@Rood

here's and a US conservative take

here's a reddit thread on it

Anti woke is the real reason they would champion the Qataris

"The leftist who piss and moan about colonialism travel somewhere else and immediately demand they change their entire culture and law to be in line with themselves. Do mirrors exist in university?"

"The Wokensteins will welcome him back with a parade and shower him with praise for being so “Brave”"

"Oh no! An Islamic country won't let you celebrate your woke ideologies?? And you're complaining about it?

What happened to respect all cultures?"

"Every time you see that rainbow flag on the US soccer team's jerseys, or above an American embassy, or plastered on some corporation's logo, understand that the world is laughing at us.
We are the new Rome, and the barbarians find the collapse of our civilization hilarious.".

Last edited:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
@moses It sort of makes sense that right-wing xenophobes would support the world cup, as it sets a precedent that you can host a major international event and just tell everyone talking about human rights to shut up. It doesn't really matter if the authoritarian is Muslim or christian or secular - that's just window dressing
Oh don't worry, I see it. It's obvious to me why it would find support in the more oppressive among us.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The right-wing "Marxist" take over at Spiked:

"On one side there is the proper football World Cup – a sporting tournament played out on the pitch, which is all about scoring goals and stars the best players on Earth.

On the other, there is the new woke World Cup – a culture war played out in the media (but projected towards the pitch), which is all about pious politically correct point-scoring using rainbow armbands, knee-taking etc. In this version, the repressive Gulf state of Qatar is a convenient stage on which to strike virtuous poses against homophobia or racism, while the players are reduced to (sometimes willing) pawns in a political game.

The clash between the two World Cups, over the values and meaning of international sport, could be as important as the outcome of the football tournament itself. Because make no mistake, if the woke version of the World Cup wins, it could destroy the integrity and excitement of football just as effectively as the trans lobby is undermining women’s sport."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/11/22/a-tale-of-two-world-cups/

OK. Sometimes you do need to get a wider lens to get the full picture though. I'm not saying the World Cup is in any way xenophobic. It's just not always linear.
Fox news is being very pro-qatar world cup! It hasn't mentioned any of the problems, just been incredibly supporting and hype about everything.

More widely, I think it's part of a pattern around sportswashing being a left-wing concern. Trump, for example, was very in favour of the Saudi golf tour. I think it connects to the right-wing idea that if you have money you should be able to do what you want without states, and especially Western liberal states, from intervening. And that human rights are just a justification for curtailing business freedoms.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
No. This bullshit, divisive take is just so far off the fecking mark and it’s bang out of order.

So many of us marched and protested against the disgusting actions of Blair and Bush and the havoc they wreaked in the ME.

We are not them, we made that clear to the fecking World (yes, if you disagree with a repulsive leadership you CAN voice that and stand against it). We have benefitted nothing from their actions and don’t support them.

This dangerous, bullshit angle that Infantino spewed out of basically - ‘if you criticise Qatar, dats racist’, is so fecking wrong and offensive. Not to mention slippery and cowardly of him.

Trying to make it a binary issue of West vs ME to deflect from fifa and qatar and using weaponised language that prevents discussion.

The irony in this, is that the exact same people who are disgusted by Qatar’s treatment of gay people and migrant workers are same fecking people that marched against those bombings you’re using as argument leverage - do you realise that!?

The reasoning being the same - ‘that’s fecking wrong, stop treating innocent people like shit’.

They’re the same people that’ve argued the case against Islamophobia in Britain and America - they’re not the fecking racists. They’re the type of people that hate oppression and will call out shithead regimes and corruption WHEREVER it’s occurring.

Go look in the CE forum - how did people react when Boris Johnson made racist comments about Muslim women? They called him out, as a fat, idiotic xenophobic cnut. That’s the same people that wanna call out homophobia in Qatar, whether it’s considered religious ‘values’ or not.

The people that are repulsed by Qatar’s censorship and oppression aren’t fecking Tommy Robinson fans mate, they’re the opposite.

Indeed, the right wing xenophobes who couldn’t give a feck about gays or migrant workers and likely supported the bombings you’re talking about - they’re the ones aligning with Qatar’s stance here.
Fantastic post!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Right wing xenophobes support a World Cup in Qatar?

Obviously not
@Rood

"The leftist who piss and moan about colonialism travel somewhere else and immediately demand they change their entire culture and law to be in line with themselves. Do mirrors exist in university?"

"The Wokensteins will welcome him back with a parade and shower him with praise for being so “Brave”"

"Oh no! An Islamic country won't let you celebrate your woke ideologies?? And you're complaining about it?

"Every time you see that rainbow flag on the US soccer team's jerseys, or above an American embassy, or plastered on some corporation's logo, understand that the world is laughing at us.
We are the new Rome, and the barbarians find the collapse of our civilization hilarious.".

"On one side there is the proper football World Cup – a sporting tournament played out on the pitch, which is all about scoring goals and stars the best players on Earth.

On the other, there is the new woke World Cup – a culture war played out in the media (but projected towards the pitch), which is all about pious politically correct point-scoring using rainbow armbands, knee-taking etc. In this version, the repressive Gulf state of Qatar is a convenient stage on which to strike virtuous poses against homophobia or racism, while the players are reduced to (sometimes willing) pawns in a political game.

The clash between the two World Cups, over the values and meaning of international sport, could be as important as the outcome of the football tournament itself. Because make no mistake, if the woke version of the World Cup wins, it could destroy the integrity and excitement of football just as effectively as the trans lobby is undermining women’s sport."

From an article on a session of the European parliament, in which mainstream and left wing parties were unified in their criticism of the World Cup in Qatar:
"Backing for the World Cup came solely from the right wing camp. AfD politician Nicolaus Fest said: 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do. This should be granted to Qatar as well.' His party colleague Maximilian Krah stated that one had to respect that Qatar didn't want any rainbow symbols in the stadium."

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussba...schade-a-bf9439f5-dbf9-4c10-b2c9-a11a1fce7053

AfD chairman Tino Chrupalla:

"Today I've had a very good conversation with Abdulla Mohammed Al Thani (Qatar's ambassador) in the Arab culture center DIVAN in Berlin. We were in agreement that the World Cup serves the understanding between peoples, and must not be politicized! #Qatar2022"
To be clear, the opposite position exists as well inside the AfD, and the party is notoriously disunited internally in general (always on the basis of far right politics, of course). So it's unsurprising that they waver between contradicting motives, like their xenophobia against Muslims and support for an authoritarian-conservative "cultural autonomy" they wish to claim for themselves as well. Qatar is both an Islamic state and anti-"woke", so they can pick what they like.

From a commentary in "Junge Freiheit", the most notorious German magazine trying to bridge mainstream conservative and far right politics:
"Before the game, FIFA had - very much to the vexation of Western-“liberal“ value imperialists - clearly pointed to their principle of political neutrality, and thus handed out a rejection to the German virtue signallers." [They hilariously germanise the latter term in their perennial fight against anglicisms.]

(...)

"It's only one of many examples showing that political messages at international sport events are always a double-edged sword. And, even if value-universalists in this country can apparently barely imagine it, their ideas of what's right and wrong aren't shared by the entire world's population."

https://jungefreiheit.de/debatte/kommentar/2022/weltmeisterschaft-onelove/

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
@Rood

Interesting and I see a couple of others have posted examples from other countries

I'd seen nothing like this in the UK though which I was interested to hear the logic

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Interesting and I see a couple of others have posted examples from other countries

I'd seen nothing like this in the UK though which I was interested to hear the logic
So not as "Obviously not", as you initially thought. It's Fox News, they are not a media backwater. As quoted above Fox News are behind the World Cup, but were also the loudest champions of Trump's Muslim ban and frequently broadcast the Great Replacement theory and other white supremacy nonsense. I honestly can't believe this sort of crossover and manipulation of agendas is really all new to you? It's as counter intuitive and common as people shouting racism at Human Rights campaigners. The real shame in both agendas is the human victims used as pawns in some other argument. That's why the whataboutism was just an affront to the victims.

Last edited:

Pintu

Perfect summary of right wing reasons to support Qatar actually. It makes perfect sense... To be fair they have far more in common with those regimes (like Qatari) than they have with the western society in general.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Perfect summary of right wing reasons to support Qatar actually. It makes perfect sense... To be fair they have far more in common with those regimes (like Qatari) than they have with the western society in general.
It's been underpinning the discourse from the off, but unless someone states it, one has to presume their opposition to the protest is not malicious or motivated by support for an authoritative oppressive government, and is just either disinterest, genuine respect for their culture or some other non activist reason.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
This is something most people can't accept. It becomes whataboutism because this sort of criticism is not leveled at the "western countries" when they host international tournaments. For many and the western newspapers and people it might be alright to go and bomb the hell out of non white countries and send them to the stone age. But for most of the rest of the world it's simply hypocrisy.
That's actually an incorrect, scandalous and hugely offensive statement. But at least we know now the lack of precision in your analysis.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So not as "Obviously not", as you initially thought. It's Fox News, they are not a media backwater. As quoted above Fox News are behind the World Cup, but were also the loudest champions of Trump's Muslim ban and frequently broadcast the Great Replacement theory and other white supremacy nonsense. I honestly can't believe this sort of crossover and manipulation of agendas is really all new to you? It's as counter intuitive and common as people shouting racism at Human Rights campaigners. The real shame in both agendas is the human victims used as pawns in some other argument. That's why the whataboutism was just an affront to the victims.
Well actually it was mostly the 'xenophobe' bit I didn't agree with - by definition a xenophobe in UK is unlikely to support a WC in the Middle East

Right wing is one thing, xenophobe is another and there is plenty of other complaints about this World Cup which is nothing to do with more left wing human rights issues so that bit isn't necessarily a surprise to me

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Well actually it was mostly the 'xenophobe' bit I didn't agree with - by definition a xenophobe in UK is unlikely to support a WC in the Middle East

Right wing is one thing, xenophobe is another and there is plenty of other complaints about this World Cup which is nothing to do with more left wing human rights issues so that bit isn't necessarily a surprise to me
It was the dismissive 'Obviously not' that got me into the conversation. Like I said, I'm surprised that with your constant engagement with this topic you only came upon this paradox today. At a stretch by dictionary definition it makes no sense, but even cursory research opens a rabbit hole.

Also a xenophobe by definition if you take the definition to be " a person having a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries" could admire other strong-arm xenophobic countries as long as they stay in their own countries. Xenophbobia is a fear and dislike whereas racism is a superiority and dislike. Neither are great but racism is the more activist and ideological of the two.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
I have not watched a single game yet. I am not kidding myself that me not watching this World Cup will change anything for the better regarding human rights in Qatar. But our TVs are like voting machines, it actually matters what we tune into. If the advertising companies miss significant revenue because there's millions of people not tuning into this World Cup that might just put pressure on FIFA when they choose hosts in the future.

That's just my personal anecdote on the matter. However, having been a reading follower on the debate, this thread came to mind listening to a podcast with David McRaney this morning. Unfortunately I doubt anyone is really convincing the other "side" on here. Rooted on their past experiences, people basically believe what they want to believe and construct new information accordingly. You can listen to the pocast here: The Psychology Pocast - How minds change - maybe instead of the WC game tonight. :nervous:

McRaney argues, instead of arguing over facts, we should use empathy to understand why we disagree. Instead of a mindset of trying to convince others, everyone would benefit by approaching arguments with a mindset focused on learning from one another. But no wonder we rarely do that, considering our language is constantly using war metaphors when we talk about "winning" arguments, "attacking" others arguments or "defending" one's stance. (A really inspiring story in regards to empathy for me was the one of Daryl Davis by the way, a black man who has convinced several members of the K.K.K. to exit the clan: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/26/opinion/racism-politics-daryl-davis.html) Sorry, slightly off-topic in the end.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I have not watched a single game yet. I am not kidding myself that me not watching this World Cup will change anything for the better regarding human rights in Qatar. But our TVs are like voting machines, it actually matters what we tune into. If the advertising companies miss significant revenue because there's millions of people not tuning into this World Cup that might just put pressure on FIFA when they choose hosts in the future.

That's just my personal anecdote on the matter. However, having been a reading follower on the debate, this thread came to mind listening to a podcast with David McRaney this morning. Unfortunately I doubt anyone is really convincing the other "side" on here. Rooted on their past experiences, people basically believe what they want to believe and construct new information accordingly. You can listen to the pocast here: The Psychology Pocast - How minds change - maybe instead of the WC game tonight. :nervous:

McRaney argues, instead of arguing over facts, we should use empathy to understand why we disagree. Instead of a mindset of trying to convince others, everyone would benefit by approaching arguments with a mindset focused on learning from one another. But no wonder we rarely do that, considering our language is constantly using war metaphors when we talk about "winning" arguments, "attacking" others arguments or "defending" one's stance. (A really inspiring story in regards to empathy for me was the one of Daryl Davis by the way, a black man who has convinced several members of the K.K.K. to exit the clan: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/26/opinion/racism-politics-daryl-davis.html) Sorry, slightly off-topic in the end.
There is a great Ted talk from a woman who left the Westboro church and her sentiments are similar to the podcast.

NotThatSoph

If your 'obviously not' still stands, do you think the AfD politicians and Fox News people aren't xenophobes, or are you saying that UK xenophobes are unlikely to support a WC in the Middle East while German and American xenophobes aren't?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

That's not necessarily true.

Over time I've become more and more convinced that Qatar are unsuitable hosts for the WC based on human right violations related to migrant deaths. Thanks to articles by the Guardian, and posts on here.

I still don't think sportswashing is a meaningful term here (it is very obvious that Qatar's reputation has not been elevated due to all the bad things brought to light by the tournament).

I also think it's prudent for FIFA to sit down and establish clear guidelines for what a host country needs to be, in order to be a suitable host. Because the worst thing that could happen is for all the Qatar critics to disappear come 4 years when the U.S.A. is hosting the WC.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
There is a great Ted talk from a woman who left the Westboro church and her sentiments are similar to the podcast.

Well there you go, a new perspective for me. I thought discourse on Twitter is eternally tribal, but apparently there are people on the platform that were able to change this women’s life. Thanks for sharing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Over time I've become more and more convinced that Qatar are unsuitable hosts for the WC based on human right violations related to migrant deaths. Thanks to articles by the Guardian, and posts on here.

I still don't think sportswashing is a meaningful term here (it is very obvious that Qatar's reputation has not been elevated due to all the bad things brought to light by the tournament).

I also think it's prudent for FIFA to sit down and establish clear guidelines for what a host country needs to be, in order to be a suitable host. Because the worst thing that could happen is for all the Qatar critics to disappear come 4 years when the U.S.A. is hosting the WC.
This won't be an issue when the US hosts, just like it wasn't the last time the US hosted.

Foxbatt

What do you expect? They are going to disappear. They have never appeared before and they will not in 4 years time.
It's appalling the situation in Qatar but this bashing of Qatar only while other western countries could do whatever they want and host international tournaments without a peep is pure hypocrisy.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
This won't be an issue when the US hosts, just like it wasn't the last time the US hosted.
If anything I'd expect the people who have fought tooth and nail to deflect criticism from Qatar will be there to pile on the USA to be honest.

Foxbatt

That's actually an incorrect, scandalous and hugely offensive statement. But at least we know now the lack of precision in your analysis.
I am standing by what I say. In 4 years time you come and create such a big fuss as now then I will apologize. Otherwise it's pure hypocrisy.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
What do you expect? They are going to disappear. They have never appeared before and they will not in 4 years time.
Yes if there's one thing that nobody ever does ever it's criticize the US.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If anything I'd expect the people who have fought tooth and nail to deflect criticism from Qatar will be there to pile on the USA to be honest.
A distinct possibility, but I suspect a vast majority won't care because the WC will be in a western country during a time of year when it should be hosted, and won't in any way conflict with the club football calendar.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I was 4 in '94, I don't know how it was back then

Possibly. Are you saying increased scrutiny of WC hosts in general is a bad thing?

Foxbatt

It should be the same people who are critical of Qatar that should be critical in 4 years time too. Otherwise it's pure hypocrisy.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Possibly. Are you saying increased scrutiny of WC hosts in general is a bad thing?
Err no? I'm saying that the people who are critical of Qatar will be critical of the US , while IMO the people who are willing do run defence for Qatar right now and deflect etc will be more than willing to criticize the US when the time comes!

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It should be the same people who are critical of Qatar that should be critical in 4 years time too. Otherwise it's pure hypocrisy.
Not just critical, b/c that just lets them off the hook by saying "I was against Trump/Bush/QAnon" (basically all the low-hanging fruit). I want a thread just like this in 2026 calling for people to boycott the WC in the US and all the same posts outlining the horrible things the US government is involved in.