Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

Roane

I am open to all new bits of info, I dont claim to have all the answers but on this specific issue of misinformation about worker deaths is absolutely clear from all the research I have read
Don't think it's such a shame as people choosing to minimise and/or ignore the human suffering that went into preparing the world cup just because they really like football.
Just read this on another thread:

Our last 2019 general elections cost a 894 death due to overexhaustion of having to meet the dealine.

Is this true?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Morocco you absolute beauties, you're making what was an easy boycott almost impossible!
If you’re finding it hard just think of Western Sahara!

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Don't think it's such a shame as people choosing to minimise and/or ignore the human suffering that went into preparing the world cup just because they really like football.
That's not what's happening. They are just pointing out Western arrogance and elitism. Nobody is saying you can't complain about Qatar. I just want to see the same energy when the WC rolls around for the US, without making excuses for why the US is different (hint: it's not).

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
That's not what's happening. They are just pointing out Western arrogance and elitism. Nobody is saying you can't complain about Qatar. I just want to see the same energy when the WC rolls around for the US, without making excuses for why the US is different (hint: it's not).
You really don't follow the CE forum, right? Because many people trashing qatar in this topic routinely trash the us and the west.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Morocco you absolute beauties, you're making what was an easy boycott almost impossible!
Ha! Outstanding result, Morocco are my 2nd team at this tournament - was already ecstatic to see them reach the knockouts so semis is mad

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You really don't follow the CE forum, right? Because many people trashing qatar in this topic routinely trash the us and the west.
I'm okay with trashing the US and Qatar. I find these criticisms to be low-hanging fruit that is separate from the larger issue. I just want to see the same over-the-top energy that calls for boycotts of a sporting event due to human rights violations. Unless the logic is that certain human rights violations are so much worse than others that one nation can host a WC and the other can't, that's a pretty small ask.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm okay with trashing the US and Qatar. I find these criticisms to be low-hanging fruit that is separate from the larger issue. I just want to see the same over-the-top energy that calls for boycotts of a sporting event due to human rights violations. Unless the logic is that certain human rights violations are so much worse than others that one nation can host a WC and the other can't, that's a pretty small ask.

#Boycott US World Cup? Yeah I suspect that won't be trending next time around.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
How many workers do you think will die in the US building infrastructure? Do you think certain minorities will be stopped from expressing themselves in the stadiums and around them?

I haven't talked once about qatar's foreign policy, which seems to be the main criticism directed at the us, so let's focus on the events themselves, because I'm not boycotting qatar, I'm boycotting the qatar wc.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Do you think certain minorities will be stopped from expressing themselves in the stadiums and around them?
If Trump is President again and brings back that ban of seven Muslim countries then I think that would definitely be worthy of attention at the World Cup, even if none of the seven qualify.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If Trump is President again and brings back that ban of seven Muslim countries then I think that would definitely be worthy of attention at the World Cup, even if none of the seven qualify.
That would certainly be a good reason to boycott it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

That would certainly be a good reason to boycott it.
It would but it’s stuff like this that (in my mind) leads to the most anti-US sentiment from that region and worthy of highlighting -

THE US AND ITS ALLIES HAVE DROPPED 46 BOMBS PER DAY FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS

CODEPINK’s numbers are based primarily on official U.S. military releases, as well as data from the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, the Yemen Data Project, and the New America Foundation. As striking as the figure of 326,000 is, it is an underestimate, as the Trump administration ceased publishing figures of its bombing campaigns in 2020, meaning there is no data for Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan for either of the previous two years. Also not counted are bombs or missiles used in helicopter strikes, AC-130 gunship attacks, strafing runs from U.S. bombers, or any counterinsurgency or counter-terrorism operations in other parts of the world.

The United States has been at war for nearly every year of its existence as an independent nation, fighting in 227 years of its 244-year history. While both Barack Obama and Donald Trump offered up anti-war rhetoric when they were on the campaign trail, both moved steadfastly away from that position once in office. By 2016, Obama was bombing seven countries simultaneously and had earned the moniker “Drone King.” Trump, meanwhile, escalatedthe war in Yemen and even carried out the targeted assasination of Iranian leader Qassem Soleimani while he was in Iraq for regional peace talks. The 45th president also authorized the use of the “Mother of All Bombs,” a 21,000 pound (9,500 kg) explosive dropped on Afghanistan’s Nangarhar Province in April 2017.

https://www.stopwar.org.uk/article/...opped-46-bombs-per-day-for-the-past-20-years/

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It would but it’s stuff like this that (in my mind) leads to the most anti-US sentiment from that region and worthy of highlighting -

CODEPINK’s numbers are based primarily on official U.S. military releases, as well as data from the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, the Yemen Data Project, and the New America Foundation. As striking as the figure of 326,000 is, it is an underestimate, as the Trump administration ceased publishing figures of its bombing campaigns in 2020, meaning there is no data for Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan for either of the previous two years. Also not counted are bombs or missiles used in helicopter strikes, AC-130 gunship attacks, strafing runs from U.S. bombers, or any counterinsurgency or counter-terrorism operations in other parts of the world.

The United States has been at war for nearly every year of its existence as an independent nation, fighting in 227 years of its 244-year history. While both Barack Obama and Donald Trump offered up anti-war rhetoric when they were on the campaign trail, both moved steadfastly away from that position once in office. By 2016, Obama was bombing seven countries simultaneously and had earned the moniker “Drone King.” Trump, meanwhile, escalatedthe war in Yemen and even carried out the targeted assasination of Iranian leader Qassem Soleimani while he was in Iraq for regional peace talks. The 45th president also authorized the use of the “Mother of All Bombs,” a 21,000 pound (9,500 kg) explosive dropped on Afghanistan’s Nangarhar Province in April 2017.

https://www.stopwar.org.uk/article/...opped-46-bombs-per-day-for-the-past-20-years/
And when we are all giving out about the yanks and their famously violent and aggressive foreign policy you're getting banned for hypocrisy unless you spend the whole thread taking it off topic by listing other countries transgressions.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
And when we are all giving out about the yanks and their famously violent and aggressive foreign policy you're getting banned for hypocrisy unless you spend the whole thread taking it off topic by listing other countries transgressions.
What? How am I taking it off topic? Look at the posts I’m replying too.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Do you need me to quite your post history in this thread?
You’re free to do what you want. I’m conversing with other posters on the US. Feel free to have a scan of the page and see how many times US has been mentioned before I made a post.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
You’re free to do what you want. I’m conversing with other posters on the US. Feel free to have a scan of the page and see how many times US has been mentioned before I made a post.
As I said, can't wait for you're insistence on full global outrage in any thread where we are slamming the yanks. The way you don't over in the Current Events forum.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
As I said, can't wait for you're insistence on full global outrage in any thread where we are slamming the yanks. The way you don't over in the Current Events forum.
You need to find a better use of your time rather worrying about what I do / don’t post about.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
You need to find a better use of your time rather worrying about what I do / don’t post about.
It's kinda part of the gig for me. And we all know how you feel about hypocrisy, I'd just hate you to be guilty of it inadvertently.

But you're probably in the US cop thread talking about violent policing in the Philippines, or in the thread slamming the US Republicans stressung that at least its a democracy, and in the BLM thread saying the Chinese are just as structurally discriminatory as the Yanks. If you weren't it would be quite selective of you and again, you don't like that. So I'm probably wrong.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

I certainly understand it, but how is that related to boycotting a specific event?

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I certainly understand it, but how is that related to boycotting a specific event?
My point is that the US bombing these countries leads to anti-U.S. sentiment from the region and worthy of highlighting when discussing whether a global football event should be hosted by the US (just as say, Trump’s banning of 7 Muslim countries). Whether people feel strong enough to make ‘boycott the US World Cup’ because of it I can’t say.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
My point is that the US bombing these countries leads to anti-U.S. sentiment from the region and worthy of highlighting when discussing whether a global football event should be hosted by the US (just as say, Trump’s banning of 7 Muslim countries). Whether people feel strong enough to make ‘boycott the US World Cup’ because of it I can’t say.

Make a thread about it.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
But most people are not boycotting countries, they are boycotting events. If everyone will be welcomed at the us world cup, I don't see how that compares to the current situation in qatar.

People should boycott specific things (for example I refuse to watch hollywood movies when I discover the us military directly finances them) but it's impossible to to boycott everything in the country itself.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
But most people are not boycotting countries, they are boycotting events. If everyone will be welcomed at the us world cup, I don't see how that compares to the current situation in qatar.

People should boycott specific things (for example I refuse to watch hollywood movies when I discover the us military directly finances them) but it's impossible to to boycott everything in the country itself.
I’m not saying people will boycott the country? The post you quoted mentions the WC specifically.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
If an English person started this thread then you thoroughly deserve to get anywhere near the final.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I’m not saying people will boycott the country? The post you quoted mentions the WC specifically.
OK, but I'm boycotting qatar for wc related reasons and you're bringing up non-wc related issues. Apart from the muslim ban, which if it's introduced again would be wc related. So what's the relation?

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
OK, but I'm boycotting qatar for wc related reasons and you're bringing up non-wc related issues. Apart from the muslim ban, which if it's introduced again would be wc related. So what's the relation?
I thought it was the migrant work force and the LGBT issues - both of which pre existed the WC and will exist after the WC.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I thought it was the migrant work force and the LGBT issues - both of which pre existed the WC and will exist after the WC.
It is, that's why I asked "How many workers do you think will die in the US building infrastructure? Do you think certain minorities will be stopped from expressing themselves in the stadiums and around them?"

Do you think this will affect the US world cup? I don't think so.

I know qatar treats their own lgbt community like crap, but if they had taken this opportunity to show more tolerance and be more open to foreign lgbt fans, that could indeed by a positive step in the right direction. So in this regard both things (wc related issues with fans and internal politics issues) kinda go hand in hand. But again, I don't see how this applies to the us.