Brandon Williams is better than Luke Shaw

RedIan

Brandon did well today against Foden however when Mahertz came on Brandon was turned inside out.... Brandon taken off and shaw moved to LFB and the Mahrez thread was snuffed out....

no further evidence needed - shaw is far the better player. Brandon is very much still learning. Those who said he was better than shaw were getting a bit kiddy.

Obiorahking_

If I'm being honest, I'm not buying it with BW. The whole right footed LB dosen't work for me

OrcaFat

This thread is a joke. Williams will never be as good as Shaw period.
He might be one day but at the moment he isn’t. In fact Shaw is playing brilliantly just now. Of course Shaw turned in some dog shite performances in the past and improved. Williams is likely to improve considerably and it’s not yet clear how high his ceiling is.

On the other hand, if Shaw keeps getting better he will be one hell of a player.

Steerpike

It was ok for Maldini, Irwin, Lahm... he’s none of those players, but find another reason.
Presently Brandon seems reluctant to trust his left foot when he's put under pressure, and this becomes an issue in defensive situations. He will need to work on that and then he may become a very good full back able to play on either side, just like Denis Irwin was.

Luke Shaw is presently our best left back.

mav_9me

I personally am just happy we have 2 options. With Williams pushing him I think Shaw has improved his form. Williams himself is young and learning, so has time to get better. I don't think either are good enough attacking wise but at least now LB is not an urgent issue.

Tel074

Your comment is a joke . Williams is a kid with great potential and we have Shaw while playing well at present has been a bang average player for us .

Canadianred17

Your comment is a joke . Williams is a kid with great potential and we have Shaw while playing well at present has been a bang average player for us .
Only delusional United fans think Williams has great potential. He's just decent. Another example of overrating our academy players.

thepolice123

Really struggling to see what exactly is his "higher potential" compared to Shaw.

Even at similar ages, Shaw was superior in every aspect of the game and in PFA team of the year.

This run of games only serves to show what a big talent Shaw is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Shaw has been excellent previously as well. Let's wait till Williams develops and reaches that level first before proclaiming him to be his equal let alone a superior player.

Williams looks an interesting young player. What I like about him is his intensity and drive. But he has a long way to go and I'd personally reserve judgment on his potential.

SteveW

If I'm being honest, I'm not buying it with BW. The whole right footed LB dosen't work for me
Why? How many inverted wingers do you see nowadays. More than half? He can cut inside while also having a pretty decent left foot for when he needs to overlap and stay wide.

Defensively being a right footed left back can be a huge advantage against inverted wingers also because they end up cutting in onto the defenders stronger foot. There will be plenty of games where being a right footed left back may actually be preferable. It's a nice option to have imo.

SteveW

Shaw has put this to bed for the moment. Having Brandon there to push him as opposed to someone shite like Young has definitely helped. 2 good options.

JPB

Shaw has put this to bed for the moment. Having Brandon there to push him as opposed to someone shite like Young has definitely helped. 2 good options.
I thank the lord every night that Ashley Young is gone.

thepolice123

Why? How many inverted wingers do you see nowadays. More than half? He can cut inside while also having a pretty decent left foot for when he needs to overlap and stay wide.

Defensively being a right footed left back can be a huge advantage against inverted wingers also because they end up cutting in onto the defenders stronger foot. There will be plenty of games where being a right footed left back may actually be preferable. It's a nice option to have imo.
Let's be honest, the only reason why he is playing LB is because he has too many competition on the right while we are short on the left. He doesn't look comfortable playing on his left foot at all.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The fact that a tired Shaw kept a much fresher Mahrez out of the game after Ole took off the struggling Williams speaks volumes. Now, that is not to say that Williams could one day surpass Shaw, and to be honest Mahrez was also simply out-foxing Williams more than just being fresher. But at the moment it is pretty clear that Shaw is a better player, in fact he was a better player than Williams at the same age. Typical kneejerk thread.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Let's be honest, the only reason why he is playing LB is because he has too many competition on the right while we are short on the left. He doesn't look comfortable playing on his left foot at all.
Only Dalot is the competition for the right back spot. I can't see why why Williams can't push ahead of him to be Wan-Bissaka's understudy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No. He is playing as LB as that's where he played for youth team and played very well.

0le

The thread title is bemusing but saying Williams can never be as good is a more silly thing to suggest.

Last edited:

The United

People forgot how good shaw was when he was 18 or 19. He is in a very good form right now and it is not just one off. He was in that kind of forms in previous seasons. Williams will do well if he reaches that height in next few years.

Obviously, I don't mean to say he can't become a better player. I hope he does. He is from United academy and I would be very proud of.

It is just trying to hype him based on 5 - 6 decent games while shitting on Shaw is just pretty weird.

meamth

Williams is all grit and determination, sometimes that can mess with his performance.

Shaw is class and composed. His technical abilities are class above too, Williams still got a long way to go.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Williams is all grit and determination, sometimes that can mess with his performance.

Shaw is class and composed. His technical abilities are class above too, Williams still got a long way to go.
Pretty much this. Shaw needs to learn to be as determined and committed as Williams while Williams needs to study Shaw's technique.

Bondi77

The fact that a tired Shaw kept a much fresher Mahrez out of the game after Ole took off the struggling Williams speaks volumes. Now, that is not to say that Williams could one day surpass Shaw, and to be honest Mahrez was also simply out-foxing Williams more than just being fresher. But at the moment it is pretty clear that Shaw is a better player, in fact he was a better player than Williams at the same age. Typical kneejerk thread.
When Shaw was a teenager he was in the Premier league team of the year.
The lad was special.

SteveW

He's played left and right with ease all through the youth teams. Himself and Laird could switch without a second thought.

This is the classic caf response to a kid having a couple of off games in his first season. He's done great

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We have a tendency to really gas up and overrate our youngsters. All fans do that, but United fans are probably the worst for it. Truth be told Brandon has done well, but no better than Borthwick-Jackson did back in 15/16, and we saw how it worked out for him.

Right now you all just need to slow you're role. He's clearly not a better player than Shaw, and the shouts for him to go to the Euros are ridiculous.

You should have seen some of the posts about Borthwick-Jackson and Fosu-Mensah.

James Wilson was another.

"We don't need a [insert position that desperately needs strengthening] because we have [insert academy player who isn't ready]" is in the Redcafe DNA
Well let's just hope you never get a job as a Scout at United then, because Brandon on footballing ability alone is on a different level to Shaw, even with his weaker left-foot.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Another Caf special where a knee jerk thread get shown for how stupid it was to be made in the first place.

finneh

Bizarrely I'd say that the reason that Shaw is better than Williams is because of the emergence of the latter.

Shaw seemed to be going through the motions since his recovery in terms of preparation and performance. It can't be a coincidence that since the creation of this thread Shaw has put in his best performances since before his injury.

dogwithabone

Shaw is calmer and a more measured footballer. Not saying Williams can’t get there but right now you can trust Shaw far more than Williams.

red4ever 79

Bizarrely I'd say that the reason that Shaw is better than Williams is because of the emergence of the latter.

Shaw seemed to be going through the motions since his recovery in terms of preparation and performance. It can't be a coincidence that since the creation of this thread Shaw has put in his best performances since before his injury.
100% agree with this. Shaw had been going through the motions for the past couple of years. Williams has pushed him to up his game. Just shows what competition for the first team can do hey.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Williams has great potential but Shaw definitely has the edge. I do think it’s brought Shaw on and given him a kick with him having Williams on his heels for his place.

I think Shaw is starting to look like the player we thought we’d Initially bought, albeit a heavier version.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Shaw is a case of how high he goes depending on himself and his application. We've seen it with him; he can be world class and then he can regress, but his level is apparent. At the top of his game, there are few better.

Williams can only be paired off with the worst versions of Shaw - the ones where Shaw is letting himself down. That'll remain the case until we see something special from Williams rather than just meeting the bar for a PL fullback.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
100% agree with this. Shaw had been going through the motions for the past couple of years. Williams has pushed him to up his game. Just shows what competition for the first team can do hey.
Shaw was Player of the Season last year. Any suggestion that Shaw just became better than Williams two weeks ago is bizzare. Williams has never been the better player.

Alemar

For a player who is with the squad for the first season only, Williams is seriously good, and he can only get better. Ole manages him quite well. Still, certainly Luke Shaw plays better football (recently, at least) - to the extent of being one of the best performers in the entire Man Utd team

Tel074

Only delusional United fans think Williams has great potential. He's just decent. Another example of overrating our academy players.

Nah I see him live with my own eyes and he's got a good future . You stick to FIFA and the rest lad

dalriada

An unfair comparison at the moment. Shaw will soon be in his seventh season at Utd, Williams is in his first with the first team. A better comparison would be, is Williams at 19 as good as Shaw was when he came to Utd age 19, and can he be as good as him in the near future?

Shaw came with a glowing reputation from Southampton, but remember that LVG, when he first arrived at Utd, stated "Luke Shaw is not fit" and put him on a fitness regime. From there on until his leg break in Oct 15 he had a good run of form, but when Mourinho arrived, his fitness was being questioned again. Even allowing for Mourinho's habit of publicly undermining players with calculated malevolence, when two managers question a player's commitment there is probably some truth in the suggestion.
Ole's handling of Shaw has almost certainly improved Shaw's form where Mourinho's regular humiliations damaged his form, but it's clear that Shaw is a player that has needed to be pushed and that the competition from Williams this season has provided that. The good news is that he has hit that streak of good form while still only 24, so he has some good years ahead of him if he can adapt mentally to the reality that his physique means he needs to put in a particular effort to stay fit. That, of course, could be bad news for Williams.

Williams has rougher edges at the same age as Shaw was when he arrived at Utd, but he can take great credit from the way he has slotted into the first team pretty seamlessly. He is tenacious, intense, quick and forward-thinking. His tackling and passing need to improve and his judgment is probably not as good as Shaw's was at the same age. He should be judged, though, on his own merits - neither favoured because he's an academy product, nor discarded because previous academy players (James, CBJ, Blackett, etc) haven't made it.

So, at present, Shaw is a more rounded player and ahead of Williams as first-choice LB, but I believe Williams will improve with experience and has a bright future given the chance. On an admittedly complete biased note, it's good to have two Mancunians in the first team as well.