Bravo's challenge on Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
Long ago I gave up on English refs. Clattenberg is the same.It's so annoying that it's better just to accept it that they are crap and forget about it.

Zoo

I'm probably subjective, but that horrendous elbow wasn't really that bad.

Yeah there is very little if anything in it. No intentional movement or pointed elbow like with Aguero's.

owsterix

It's a stonewall penalty according to the rules, the reality is you'll rarely (if ever) get that penalty no matter who you are. Not biased refereeing, just the way it is unfortunately this time around.

siw2007

I don't exactly have an issue with the fact that Bravo went in for a challenge on Rooney. Both wanted the ball, it's a 50/50. So in this sense the referee was the right to wave on.

The issue comes from the fact that Rooney's was a fair attempt at the ball as opposed to Bravo's. At one point it seems Bravo was in the air and flying in with two feet, which can only be described as reckless and illegal regardless of where the ball went. So yeah, it was a Straight red and a penalty for me.

Winrar

It's a stonewall penalty according to the rules, the reality is you'll rarely (if ever) get that penalty no matter who you are. Not biased refereeing, just the way it is unfortunately this time around.
I would concur with this. Bravo got lucky because GKs usually have the advantage in these types of 50-50 situations.

Shimo

It was a clear pen. I mean there is trying to be unbiased but, that's as clear a penalty to call all season for any team. The handball - it was a pen but, can understand somewhat why it wasn't given.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
After seeing more replays I believe it was a dangerous play because he left his feet so early knowing it was a 50/50 ball. Dangerous play and penalty. However, I was unsure while watching the match.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
sliding in with no regard for your opponent's safety is a foul anywhere on the pitch. Your still photo doesn't show the momentum he was carrying going into the challenge with his raised foot
yeah but no ref in the world would give that penalty imo.. he touches the ball, much like neuer vs higuain in the world cup final .. if that wasn't a goalie and it was in the midfield its always a foul but the stakes are differnet in the box

Drainy

yeah but no ref in the world would give that penalty imo.. he touches the ball, much like neuer vs higuain in the world cup final .. if that wasn't a goalie and it was in the midfield its always a foul but the stakes are differnet in the box
well all the refs in the world are failing to enforce the rules then

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Must admit when I saw it in real time I didn't notice the way his studs were up. Having seen it again though should have been a red and a pen.

Having said that though, we shot ourselves in the foot today with that first 35mins or so.

Giggs86

Can't wait for that twat of a keeper to face the Stoke / WBA / Hull / West Ham kind of teams. Teams that rely on set pieces and physicality in the box will show no mercy to him.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I first thought it was a fair 50/50 where both players got a touch of the ball.

After seeing some of these in slower motion and at different angles, I definitely think it was dangerous play.
Rooney went in, sliding with both feet bent whereas Bravo went with a leg extended.

It could have caused a bad injury, it didn't, but let's hope we see more of this from him throughout the season

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Must admit when I saw it in real time I didn't notice the way his studs were up. Having seen it again though should have been a red and a pen.

Having said that though, we shot ourselves in the foot today with that first 35mins or so.
We did yeah, really poor play all around and especially for the goals.

But when I see an incident like that I can't help but think '2-1 but 11v10 and a penalty, massive chance to make it 2-2 and then we've got the momentum', now it's also possible that we still lose the game but missing big incidents like that can have a massive effect on the outcome of the game.

Ananke

Bravo acted rash after a mistake. What you saw was a panic tackle "I have to get to this". Because of his earlier mistake it multiplies his panic. Of course he's going for the ball but it doesn't take away the factor he's got his studs up. Even IF he touches the ball first, having your foot in that position means any follow through could seriously injure a player. It's reckless.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We did yeah, really poor play all around and especially for the goals.

But when I see an incident like that I can't help but think '2-1 but 11v10 and a penalty, massive chance to make it 2-2 and then we've got the momentum', now it's also possible that we still lose the game but missing big incidents like that can have a massive effect on the outcome of the game.
No point bemoaning decisions though, you get some and you don't throughout the course of the season. I don't find that one all that difficult to take because it wasn't all that obvious in real time I don't think.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He got the ball. If Rooney wasn't slow as feck then it would have been an easy penalty call. Rooney made it a 50/50 challenge and lost

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was in the East stand live, so the opposite end of the ground, and after such a horrible touch it did look like he lunged in.

Replay shows that, but I still don't think any ref would have given that in real time. It'd be a brave call.

Shame it wasn't one of the pacier players who would have got on the ball quicker and made a foul out of it.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Not a penalty at all. Bravo won the ball as clean as you like, heavy but perfectly fair challenge. I watched the game in a pub with a lot of United fans who had no problem making their feelings clear yet barely a word was muttered during the replays of the challenge.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Not a penalty at all. Bravo won the ball as clean as you like, heavy but perfectly fair challenge. I watched the game in a pub with a lot of United fans who had no problem making their feelings clear yet barely a word was muttered during the replays of the challenge.
This is exactly where you are horribly wrong.

I watched it with my dog who's a City fan and he said it's a red and a penulty.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't know the rules honestly. He did get the ball, but it was obviously a dangerous challenge. Don't think anyone could've complained about a pen there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When I got home and saw the thread, I presumed it was a real stinker of a challenge to warrant the 5 pages.

However, like you say, he did win the ball, it happened quickly, and it's just the studs out into Rooney's shin that's the doubt.
But at that pace, and keeper's often getting licence, I don't think many would have given it.

I think you will have a lot of concern at this lad's keeping though. I'm always dubious of the short sleeved keepers!

Gave one goal away, the above incident, and a couple of others. Between him and Stones you aren't going to be very tight

the hea

:lol:

Lostie007

He done him.

Leg breaking challenge.

Lucky boy

Look at his face when he's going in the aggression

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why do people keep talking about him getting the ball?

It makes no fecking difference.

Heinzesight

This makes it look a 50/50 but what it doesn't take into account is Bravo started his jump 5ft previous!

M-Clatz was awful today, City looked good first half, but if that red is given plus a penalty in the 55th minute who knows what scoreline we'd be looking at.

PieCrust

The fact that he got the ball matters not. It was a dangerous play, studs up clear penalty. Happens anywhere else by another player and it's called.

But he didn't go in with both feet as some are saying.

van Persie

Red. Clattenburg shouldn't ref games as big as this one because he's weak.

lonelyred

Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct) from FIFA/IFAB Laws of the Game (pages 86 and 88):

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
• denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the opponents’ goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
serious foul play
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• violent conduct
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
• receiving a second caution in the same match

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

Serious foul play

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

So, no mention of the ball being touched or not, or who touched it - it's an irrelevant fact in this case.

Also: "using one or both legs" - as opposed to another miscomprehension spread by TV commentators (that only a tackle with two feet deserves a red card).

Last edited:

Oaencha

Pep on Bravo: "one of the best performances I've seen" :lol::houllier:
I read that and thought WTF?! He was all over the place today and Pep saying that has really brought him down in my estimations. He's obviously trying to save face as he made such a big fuss dropping Hart and bringing him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.