Television Breaking Bad

Woodzy

Really? Hank, Gus, Mike, Saul, Hector, Gale, Todd aren't up there with those you mentioned? The supporting characters in Breaking Bad were so good BCS was based on them.
Gale and Todd were a bit naff but the rest were the best you will see in pretty much any show. You can even count Jessie I guess.

Supports
Chelsea
Really? Hank, Gus, Mike, Saul, Hector, Gale, Todd aren't up there with those you mentioned? The supporting characters in Breaking Bad were so good BCS was based on them.
I didn't include Gus, Mike, Hector etc as they are in both shows. Only talking about the ones exclusive to one show (not incl cameo appearances). So essentially I'd be comparing the names I mentioned from BCS to the likes of Skyler, Jesse, Hank, Marie, Walt Jr, Todd.

I agree Hank was brilliant and on par with the BCS cast.

Last edited:

Woodzy

I didn't include Gus, Mike, Hector etc as they are in both shows. Only talking about the ones exclusive to one show (not incl cameo appearances). So essentially I'd be comparing the names I mentioned from BCS to the likes of Skyler, Jesse, Hank, Marie, Walt Jr, Todd.

I agree Hank was brilliant and on par with the BCS cast.
Feel like that’s an unfair comparison though, as BCS wouldn’t have even existed without them being such great characters in Breaking Bad to begin with.

Supports
Chelsea
Feel like that’s an unfair comparison though, as BCS wouldn’t have even existed without them being such great characters in Breaking Bad to begin with.
That's fair enough. With everyone included I think Gus was just that good in Breaking Bad that it tips the scales.

Superunknown

I loved Breaking Bad and it is probably my all time favorite show. I started watching BCS a few times and never get past 1 or 2 episodes of series 1 before getting distracted and trying again in a few year's time. Rinse and repeat.

I'll have to try again and try to stick with it this time.
I'm just about to finish Season 3 of BCS and am finding it a tough watch, to be honest. I tried season 1 a few years back and couldn't find the energy to progress with it. Am trying it again now. It just doesn't hit for me, but I'm sticking with it to see it through.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm just about to finish Season 3 of BCS and am finding it a tough watch, to be honest. I tried season 1 a few years back and couldn't find the energy to progress with it. Am trying it again now. It just doesn't hit for me, but I'm sticking with it to see it through.
I can’t remember the exact point but it definitely ticked up in the last few seasons.

To be fair I largely enjoyed the whole show but it’s definitely very very slow, albeit it pays off and the final season especially is fantastic.

binary bot
It suffers (and benefits) from characters having a head start from BB. The law element became a chore and i just wanted episodes of the better established characters like Gus, Mike etc.

I wonder how the show would fare with a blank slate and watching BCS first?

Spoony

The People's President
I can’t remember the exact point but it definitely ticked up in the last few seasons.

To be fair I largely enjoyed the whole show but it’s definitely very very slow, albeit it pays off and the final season especially is fantastic.
It's great. I watched it straight after BB, so it was a smooth transition. I actually love the pacing.

Supports
Chelsea
It suffers (and benefits) from characters having a head start from BB. The law element became a chore and i just wanted episodes of the better established characters like Gus, Mike etc.

I wonder how the show would fare with a blank slate and watching BCS first?
Not as good I'd imagine. Part of the intrigue is knowing how things end up but the journey to get there, and knowing some characters aren't in Breaking Bad and wanting to know what happens to them. Think they executed both perfectly. Plus I love a good origin story and we get that for multiple characters.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Stick with it, because it's sequel show is one of the best shows of all time.

Pirlo'sBeard

I finished watching this for the second time last night. It had been a long time since I initially watched it, so it felt like watching it completely fresh. It goes without saying that it's one of the best TV shows of all time. Absolutely incredible. The character development throughout the seasons is amazing. 'Ozymandias' is one of the greatest episodes of television ever made.

If you haven't seen it before, I highly recommend giving it a watch. You'll not be disappointed.

I haven't seen Better Call Saul, so I will be starting that next.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I finished watching this for the second time last night. It had been a long time since I initially watched it, so it felt like watching it completely fresh. It goes without saying that it's one of the best TV shows of all time. Absolutely incredible. The character development throughout the seasons is amazing. 'Ozymandias' is one of the greatest episodes of television ever made.

If you haven't seen it before, I highly recommend giving it a watch. You'll not be disappointed.

I haven't seen Better Call Saul, so I will be starting that next.
Once you've finished BCS you'll want to watch BB for a third time. And enjoy it even more.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Started watching for a second time. God damn this is television at its best isn't it?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
People say it starts slow and there's a dissolved corpse falling through a ceiling in episode 2.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hank has a one liner every episode which is better than some characters dialogue over the course of a whole other TV series. Elite TV.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Hank has a one liner every episode which is better than some characters dialogue over the course of a whole other TV series. Elite TV.
Hank’s a proper man’s man hero, definitely one of the highlights of the show. Perfectly cast too.

I always love how he gets uncomfortable when people around him start displaying emotions :lol:

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Rewatching this, and just watched the "this isn't meth" scene. So stupid :lol:

AaronRedDevil

Rewatching this, and just watched the "this isn't meth" scene. So stupid :lol:
I do wonder why he doesn't get hurt like the others. At least clarify that part. Still the greatest show ever made but that one part has me scratching my head.

Mike Smalling

I do wonder why he doesn't get hurt like the others. At least clarify that part. Still the greatest show ever made but that one part has me scratching my head.
I don't think any of them really get hurt, just shocked and surprised. Walter is prepared for it, so doesn't react the same. Then he uses the bag of the stuff to threaten them.

It's definitely a moment where you have to suspend your disbelief a bit, but I think that's the explanation. I also read somewhere that the stuff he had supposedly made wouldn't react like that at all, but it's explained in the show by him adjusting the formula or something.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
On second - third watch I realised that I hate all the family stuff apart from Hank. Skylar and Marie suck. Walt Jr I don’t mind. Gretchen and Elliott are important for the culmination and it’s good writing but all the peripheral characters are so unlikeable. A show where you’re really rooting for the bad guys.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
On second - third watch I realised that hate all the family stuff apart from Hank. Skylar and Marie suck. Walt Jr I don’t mind. Gretchen and Elliott are important for the culmination and it’s good writing but all the peripheral characters are so unlikeable. A show where you’re really rooting for the bad guys.
Marie doesn’t add much (though she does more towards the show’s climax) but I’ve never understood the Skylar hate. She reacts like any regular wife and mother would and when she eventually partially comes onboard she’s very smart with it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Marie doesn’t add much (though she does more towards the show’s climax) but I’ve never understood the Skylar hate. She reacts like any regular wife and mother would and when she eventually partially comes onboard she’s very smart with it.
Because she cheats on the hero Walt and nags him for doing crime like the bitch she is.

Bobade

Her reaction is understandable but I feel like she is somewhat unlikeable from the very start. She's kind of controlling with Walter. Might not be the right word actually, but I do think she treats him like the sap he is in the beginning.

I've got more time for Marie, annoying as she is. She's funny, and I think she is well written. She gets no sympathy for the stealing issue really, when it's obvious she has a problem there.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Her reaction is understandable but I feel like she is somewhat unlikeable from the very start. She's kind of controlling with Walter. Might not be the right word actually, but I do think she treats him like the sap he is in the beginning.

I've got more time for Marie, annoying as she is. She's funny, and I think she is well written. She gets no sympathy for the stealing issue really, when it's obvious she has a problem there.
I'd recommend this vid

Your observation about Skylar is correct but also Walt, his behaviour after his diagnosis could be explained as a rebellion against Skylar's control but this descends into manipulation and emotional abuse. All of the characters are flawed in the series anyway, except for Flynn Jr and Holly.

RedDevil@84

I don't remember every episode, but when I watched it, I felt she was a nagging partly manipulative. Not full evil, but when you are on Walter's side, she is quite annoying. She seemed to want the money but hated Walter for it, anyways.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't remember every episode, but when I watched it, I felt she was a nagging partly manipulative. Not full evil, but when you are on Walter's side, she is quite annoying. She seemed to want the money but hated Walter for it, anyways.
Walt is the most manipulative person on the show.