Television Breaking Bad

beacon

All Creatures Great and Small
Got me thinking about other great season finale:

Season 1 of Sopranos "I Dream of Jeannie Cusamano": For me, this is the finale against which all others must be measured. It's absolutely immense (I won't go into details in case any on here haven't seen it.)

Season 2 of Sopranos "Funhouse": Another incredible finale (and again, I'll stay mum on the details."

Season 4 of Sopranos "Whitecaps": Edie Falco and James Gandolfini unleashing...

Season 4 of The Wire: The final episode of what is, in my opinion, the greatest season of television ever. You feel exhausted by the end.

Season 4 of Dexter: So good and so shocking that you could make a case that the show hasn't been able to recover from it.

* I think it's worth mentioning with regard to The Sopranos (at least in the first several seasons,) that the penultimate episodes were also pretty incredible. Season 1 ("Isabella") with the hallucinations, Season 2 (Knight in White Satin Armor") with the resolution of Richie and Janice's relation, Season 3 (Amour Fou) with Tony's fecked up affair and Jackie's misguided attempt to make a statement, Season 5 (Long Term Parking) featuring arguably the most gutting moment in the whole series - all examples of television at its very best.
But not season 6 of The Sopranos? Interesting. I thought that was phenomenally good, and whilst I stand by the fact that both The Wire and BB are better overall, I think you would be hard pressed to create a better final scene than the one that finished The Sopranos for good.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm two episodes from being fully caught up.

Skyler has gone worse than ever, find myself saying 'just shoot her' in my head. You can really see the transformation now after that kid being killed on the crosser and him whistling in the tent completely unphased. Mikes still one of my favourite characters.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Watched 'Say My Name' again today for the craic.

Opening scene is seriously one of the best, if not the best thing I've seen on TV.

jem

But not season 6 of The Sopranos? Interesting. I thought that was phenomenally good, and whilst I stand by the fact that both The Wire and BB are better overall, I think you would be hard pressed to create a better final scene than the one that finished The Sopranos for good.
The final scene was epic, but I found that episode pretty underwhelming. The Phil Leotardo bit was particularly disappointing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yes, yes. It was pretty good. "You're God damn right"

Good episode in general.

Although I don't really get why Walt killed Mike? Covering his own back in case he got caught? You'd think Mike would be trustworthy. Even if he hated Walt enough to grass he'd be sending Jessie down too, who he likes.

Cina

Yes, yes. It was pretty good. "You're God damn right"

Good episode in general.

Although I don't really get why Walt killed Mike? Covering his own back in case he got caught? You'd think Mike would be trustworthy. Even if he hated Walt enough to grass he'd be sending Jessie down too, who he likes.
I don't see why this needs to be spoilered, but seeing as silly people are coming into the thread who haven't watched it all

I got the feeling Walt didn't primarily kill Mike because of trust, he killed him because Mike constantly second guessed him and in his eyes, probably tried to take advantage of him. Basically, he's just a total cnut.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't see why this needs to be spoilered, but seeing as silly people are coming into the thread who haven't watched it all

I got the feeling Walt didn't primarily kill Mike because of trust, he killed him because Mike constantly second guessed him and in his eyes, probably tried to take advantage of him. Basically, he's just a total cnut.
To be fair I was in here talking about it before I'd caught up.

Who do you mean is a cnut? I'd say Walt was in this instance, but could argue Mike was one with him. It's understandable why Mike was mad with Walt. He had a nice cushty job with Gus. I felt like he should have eased up once they were working together though, as Mike should know better than anyone how ruthless the business they're in can be. As for why he killed Mike, it's an odd one because you could see Walt boiling over (you could tell he wanted some gratitude, as at the end of the day it's his stuff that's been paying Mike for a good while) but it was obviously planned to an extent too, with him taking the gun out of the bag.

I've just watched episode 8 of season 5. Possibly my favourite episode yet.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Mike's last words about 'your pride and your ego' really seemed to strike a chord, and my feeling is that the directors wanted to show that Walt is now heading towards losing his sense of reason/restraint altogether and that he is indeed driven by 'pride and ago' - the killing like that being an extreme example of what Mike was alluding to. Saying that, he could just have lost it due to the ridiculousness of Mike's words in that, for the most part, he was just defending himself and Jesse from the threat of death.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Mike's last words about 'your pride and your ego' really seemed to strike a chord, and my feeling is that the directors wanted to show that Walt is now heading towards losing his sense of reason/restraint altogether and that he is indeed driven by 'pride and ago' - the killing like that being an extreme example of what Mike was alluding to. Saying that, he could just have lost it due to the ridiculousness of Mike's words in that, for the most part, he was just defending himself and Jesse from the threat of death.
Yeah it was definitely more than just losing it at the time because he'd taken the gun. Unless he did that in case Mike got all shooty.

I'd just like to say I thought the very last scene of episode 8 was badly acted as there wasn't a plop to be heard.

beacon

The final scene was epic, but I found that episode pretty underwhelming. The Phil Leotardo bit was particularly disappointing.
THIS SPOILER IS ABOUT THE SOPRANOS

I'm not so sure. For me the whole episode was a set up for the final scene, building on the "you never hear it coming" theme started through the flashback with Bobby in the penultimate episode. Phil Leotardo's death was just another example and a prelude to the finale. I thought the pacing was fantastic, and the sensation that Tony's life was continuing as normal was palpable right through to the final frame when suddenly, it wasn't.

Zebs

Take the Sopranos talk elsewhere lads. Some people haven't seen it.

Zebs

Hence the spoiler tags.
Yes, but I presumed you were talking about Breaking Bad, I could read the posts more carefully before clicking on the spoilers but I shouldn't have to as it shouldn't be in here in the first place.

jem

Yes, but I presumed you were talking about Breaking Bad, I could read the posts more carefully before clicking on the spoilers but I shouldn't have to as it shouldn't be in here in the first place.
But just don't read them then. The discussion started from a BB-related post about season finales, and took a turn toward The Sopranos (with spoilers added to avoid any unnecessary surprises.) Hardly the first time a thread in the cafe has gone off on a tangent (at least nobody's mentioned Nani...)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
cz is right though jem. Doesn't matter what the discussion is, you should spoiler something about another show.

jem

cz is right though jem. Doesn't matter what the discussion is, you should spoiler something about another show.
I agree, but are you telling me that saying the ending to a show is great, and mentioning a character's name (ex. Phil Leotardo) is giving away something?

In fact, look at my quoted text at the beginning of this page, and you'll see that I go out of my way to say that I won't go into detail about the finales of seasons 1 and 2.

Zebs

At the end of the day I don't think anyone should have to come into this thread and be actively avoiding posts. If you're gonna talk about another show, that's fine. But label the spoiler as well.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I'm on S05E07 at the moment. I really enjoyed the previous episode
When Walt, Jesse, Mike and Todd lifted the methylene from the train
and am really enjoying the 'new' Walt, contrary to what others may feel about it.

Skyler
is still a cnut, though.

beacon

At the end of the day I don't think anyone should have to come into this thread and be actively avoiding posts. If you're gonna talk about another show, that's fine. But label the spoiler as well.
Point taken, I've labelled my post so hopefully no-one will read it in error, but I have to agree with Jem - you'd have to be a bit slow to just click on spoiler tags willy nilly without reading the post they are attached to.

jem

Point taken, I've labelled my post so hopefully no-one will read it in error, but I have to agree with Jem - you'd have to be a bit slow to just click on spoiler tags willy nilly without reading the post they are attached to.
To quote Wibble: 'yes'

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just read that filming was interrupted when a stranger tried to pick up the woman acting as the prossie :lol:

Easy V

The guy who made the Ecstacy of Gold tribute video has updated it with some improved clips and footage from the latest season. Absolutely brilliant video (only watch if you have seen all of the episodes so far);

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Just watched season 5 "finale" (ep 8) and it was a great one. Good ending to it. Cliffhangery and plausible. Just as great as Ive come to expect from this series.

Cant wait for the last season! When will the next episode air?

Donut

I don't think the exact date is confirmed, but I guess somewhere mid July.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I'm looking forward to the ending of season 5. As someone said previously, how they end it will entail how BB is remembered forever. Will Walt be the tragic hero or the tragic villain?

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
I'm looking forward to the ending of season 5. As someone said previously, how they end it will entail how BB is remembered forever. Will Walt be the tragic hero or the tragic villain?
It will take some seriously good writing to make him a tragic hero after the way its developed.

With the first half of season 5 hes already more than one leg in the "villain" bracket, although its still somewhat possible to sympathise with him after apparently
retiring from the business at the end, having tied up the loose ends

I wouldnt be surprised by anything though. The writing has been fantastic so far.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
The quality thing is that they can genuinely make Walt's character as fecked up as they want now. They've showed us what Gus Fring was like before he rose to prominence, and it didn't really look too dissimilar to what Walt was like at the start of the series (a sort of naive yet decent looking person spotting an opportunity in a screwed up market). They can take his character as far as they want down that path without it being unrealistic, and the scene at the start of the last season sort of indicates that the series may well be heading in that direction.

Speculation about what may happen spoiler:

The ultimate example of this would be if he properly turned against the thing that primarily drove him to all of this - his family. Can't see it getting any better between him and Skyler...but maybe it'll end up as bad as it possibly could be? Not only has she pushed him away from his family, but she's also a key person in regards to the truth about Walt coming out. Walt didn't need much of a reason to kill Mike, but Skyler has somewhat destroyed his family life whilst also being someone who could really implicate him.

It all depends on whether what happened with Mike shocks him into recognising what he's become, or whether it instead provides a platform from which he becomes truly fecked up. Personally, I think the writers did this to mark the point that Walt became capable of killing sheerly for his own benefit or ego, and to also mark the beginning of the final stage of Walt's transformation. The kills on Fring's men were to save Jesse's life, letting Jesse's girlfriend die was to help him in the long run, the poisoning of the child of Jesse's other girlfriend and the killing of Fring were a pre-emptive effort to maintain his own and his family's survival...Mike's death was the point whereby he was killing just for the sake of killing.

Bold prediction...I reckon he kills Skyler. Either for him to take back his family, to stop her from testifying in some capacity (this would go against what she said about waiting for the cancer to come back, but a lot can change very quickly) or simply out of vengeance. If they are to keep on developing Walt as they have done throughout the series, they need to somehow take it one step further than killing for no reason, and I think turning on his family would be the final indication that Walt has completely lost himself. It seems fitting that they would do this in the last season and last few episodes...

Sopranos Spoiler:

...just as Tony Sopranos death was fitting right at the end of the Sopranos. They went over everything by the end of that - his conclusions about life, his discussions about death, his spiritual experience...his death seemed a natural progression in light of that, and the most appropriate ending.

This could all be bollocks obviously, but I think that would be a good route to go down.