Breaking - Elon Musk says he will not buy Manchester United

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

justboy68

He's cash poor (in relative terms). He'd need to put together a consortium, finance the acquisition with debt, or sell a bunch of the stock he has in his companies.
Coincidentally, I saw it mentioned that he just sold 7 billion worth of tesla shares last week. No idea if it's bollocks or not.

Edit: I was late to the party on that one!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Womp

idiot
It would make us entertaining and seeing our owners actually have a presence would be so refreshing compared to the current ownership.

Also what exactly are people expecting? There are no saints who have the amount of money required to justify buying this club.

That being said - no chance this is anything other than him taking the piss

city-puma

He's cash poor (in relative terms). He'd need to put together a consortium, finance the acquisition with debt, or sell a bunch of the stock he has in his companies.
Use own cash to acquire manutd is stupid. I am sure he won’t do it and no one will do it. As you said, he gets many options. Actually a lot of options.

mav_9me

I was completely thinking it was a joke until I remembered this unusual options activity a few days ago. Now I am beginning to think this might be real.

TheRedHearted

Has there ever been a person as desperate for the internet to love him than Elon Musk? His whole life seems to revolve around getting people to pat him on the back and kiss his ass.
And we shall, kiss his ass. He would hire the best advisers and let them run the club

mu4c_20le

Man united has how many followers? They all become his. It's one step closer to world domination, so it's a no brainer. The only question is why wouldn't he do it at the start of the transfer window.

Laurencio

I was completely thinking it was a joke until I remembered this unusual options activity a few days ago. Now I am beginning to think this might be real.

Would be very Elon to use his twitter platform to manipulate the market in a way in which he ends up making a lot of money. Doge coin is a perfect example of that. What are they going to do? Fine him and force him to buy both Twitter and Man Utd? :lol:

I Am Zlatan

I like that many of the media outlets running with the story. Hopefully it’s true (which I highly doubt), if not, hopefully some good will come out of this.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Man united has how many followers? They all become his. It's one step closer to world domination, so it's a no brainer. The only question is why wouldn't he do it at the start of the transfer window.
Perfect storm. Expected run of poor results, botched-up transfer window the protest and I am sure the Glazers are shopping us around -- no smoke without fire thing (Knighton, Ratcliffe talks)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Glazers can't be happy with him saying this. Pressure has already been building on them this will make it worse

mav_9me

Would be very Elon to use his twitter platform to manipulate the market in a way in which he ends up making a lot of money. Doge coin is a perfect example of that. What are they going to do? Fine him and force him to buy both Twitter and Man Utd? :lol:
He can't just say stuff like this regarding a public company. I am leaning towards this being real. Very weird.

Kita

Yep, he is trying to back out of Twitter acquisition, it's going to be a long soap opera in court and it's not clear if he can succeed.

As for why... good luck figuring that out. Twitter share price never actually tanked, so that's not the reason.

Tesla stock isn't doing particularly well in the last months so maybe he regretted committing to sell a sizable chunk of his shares to fund the acquisition...
Else, he got bored , or never really meant it in the first place, or whatever goes on in his mind.
He wants a new, lower price given the market. I think he's fine buying it. The bot thing is just his way out to not make it about money.

abundance

Supports
Inter
It's totally fine. Was at a high close to 1200$ or so, now at 920$ or so.
It's fine now, but the day before he announced his Twitter bid (April 13th) Tesla traded at $1022, the day before he put the deal on hold with the spambot excuse (May 12th) it traded at $728... and it didn't start to really climb back until after he announced he was terminating the acquisition on July 8th.

Red_toad

Old Tesla stadium, all the players have to drive EV’s etc. imagine the advertisement opportunities for him. All he needs to do is pay the parasites off and get in top class people to run the joint. United if run well are only going to appreciate in value and would require very little investment.

Laurencio

He can't just say stuff like this regarding a public company. I am leaning towards this being real. Very weird.
I know, but it's Elon, if anyone would it is him. But at the same time, if anyone would just buy Man Utd for the hell of it, it's him.

Laurencio

Old Tesla stadium, all the players have to drive EV’s etc. imagine the advertisement opportunities for him. All he needs to do is pay the parasites off and get in top class people to run the joint. United if run well are only going to appreciate in value and would require very little investment.
Space X taking football to the moon!

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He would be a terrible owner. Way too eccentric and way too much distraction the club doesn’t need right now.

mav_9me

It's fine now, but the day before he announced his Twitter bid (April 13th) Tesla traded at $1022, the day before he put the deal on hold with the spambot excuse (May 12th) it traded at $728... and it didn't start to really climb back until after he announced he was terminating the acquisition on July 8th.
Of course these things happen. Also the market overall has bounced. That helps along with the awesome Q2.

Anyway he has the money for sure. But it's so out of character for him.

lex talionis

The dude is a psycho, but I’d welcome him in a second over the sociopathic vampires that own the club now.

Red_toad

He would be a terrible owner. Way too eccentric and way too much distraction the club doesn’t need right now.
I’d rather they were talking about him than the current daily ridicule of our transfer policy and linking us to a zillion players per day.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
Manchester United (NYSE: 'M.A.N.U') is a NYSE listed public company(or its subsidaty depends on the structure). Under SEC scrutiny Elon Musk cannot just trolling around saying buying a NYSE listed company unless there is a ongoing process.