Breaking - Elon Musk says he will not buy Manchester United

mav_9me

The calls expire on 9/16, the day we announce earnings. Seems like an earnings play. The SEC already hates his guts. There's no way he'd be stupid enough to try to blatantly manipulate the market like that.

Alternative is that he's serious about the bid and someone else knows it and traded on MNPI. I find that possibility extremely remote.

My guess is someone has inside info on our year end results and knows we're going to beat wall street estimates.
Yeah agreed, I don't think he is manipulating anything. Doesn't make sense for him. Most of the time he does it well enough to be able to be lawyered up.

About the rest, usually I would agree about regular companies. But Manchester united has no liquidity in the options market. This is extremely unusual. Who cares about United's earnings really?

Seven Seas Sardines

• Will get heavy fines if lying
  • Ongoing legal twist with twitter
  • Previous SEC trouble re stock manipulation
  • Sold Tesla shares worth $4.3 billion 6 days ago
  • Tweeted a minute after NYSE closed
  • He'd alienate 500 million potential Tesla customers

The most elaborate and self-harming ruse of all time?

mav_9me

• He'd alienate 500 million potential customers

He tweeted at 801 pm EST, market closes at 4 pm.

Nobody is going to be alienated against Tesla by him buying or not buying United.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Some of you guys... I'll never understand. The banter alone? We're in a perpetual state of banter for these past 10 years. I'd happily take his tweets over Glazer ownership any fecking day of the week.
Would he be the answer?
I'm not the kinda of guy who has a rage boner against him but I don't think he's gonna be good for us.

Isle

Well why not, wouldn't be worse than the last decade.
He employs experts in their field to his companies and most are well run, United can get by with the revenue it generates with a competent management and board, this is what Glazers didn't get, they could have been silent owners and taking dividends with employing experts to run the club, and making it even more profitable.

devil99

Benni McCarthy joined coaching staff few weeks ago. So 2+2=6

stoinz

He and CR7 together will fit like a glove. There is value to him taking over, he will be hailed as a hero by millions or fans.

Sviken

Would he be the answer?
I'm not the kinda of guy who has a rage boner against him but I don't think he's gonna be good for us.
Why not? Whatever you think of the man personally, you can't say he doesn't run business well. He's massively successful. At the very least, even if he doesn't invest massive money into the club, you won't see clowns like Murtough in important positions, that's for sure. And even if we pretend for a second that he is incompetent, well, he can't be any worse than the Glazers, that's for sure. Do you really consider him worse than the absolute leeches sucking the blood out of this club? And you're kinda acting like there's a plethora of options out there - there ain't. There are very, very few people that have the money, let alone the desire to buy a football club of United's caliber and Musk is one of them. Or maybe we can continue to be a joke of a club until the Glazers have sucked enough money that is no longer all that profitable and they decide to sell. That'll take many years though.

mav_9me

Translation for dummies please.
United share price is at 12.78.

Someone bought calls for strike price of 14$. Essentially that person is betting that come September 16, Uniteds share price is going to be more than 14$. That someone has to pay a price for each call (don't know how much each call was priced at) . Overall he bought calls worth 475000$. That's a lot of calls and a lot of money. Manchester United never has that much action. That's why it is so extremely unusual

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why not? Whatever you think of the man personally, you can't say he doesn't run business well. He's massively successful. At the very least, even if he doesn't invest massive money into the club, you won't see clowns like Murtough in important positions, that's for sure. And even if we pretend for a second that he is incompetent, well, he can't be any worse than the Glazers, that's for sure. Do you really consider him worse than the absolute leeches sucking the blood out of this club? And you're kinda acting like there's a plethora of options out there - there ain't. There are very, very few people that have the money, let alone the desire to buy a football club of United's caliber and Musk is one of them. Or maybe we can continue to be a joke of a club until the Glazers have sucked enough money that is no longer all that profitable and they decide to sell. That'll take many years though.
He'll probably be better by Glazers by the sheer virtue of not leveraging the club and taking out dividends but even then is he would be be the guy takes us back to the to?
It's hard running a football club and I doubt he has any expertise in that field, he might look at us a toy to play around with unneeded meddling in somethings he won't understand.

Anyway if he really is seriously about this and it goes through I try to be optimism as he won't be worse then the disastrous ownership we're under right now, but if there were alternatives I'd probably prefer them to musk owning us.

DeGea’sFeet

He gets a lot of people asking him to buy Man Utd on Twitter. Probably a joke, but after Twitter fail, once that’s all sorted. United will look pretty cheap, also gives Tesla pretty much the best advertising platform (after Twitter)

H.Berg

• He'd alienate 500 million potential Tesla customers

He's like all of them billionaires. Lost.

I'd rather have Ratcliffe.

Let's just all settle on all our rivals having all the money and no morals. Fine future.

It's an Oil league.

Musk is a deluded man. Agree.

Let's Google Salman.

It was always going to be a process. Years. Décadas? It's sports.

Even I, the lifelong fan from Iceland, knew it would take time to replace the greatest of all.

Peep and Kloop agree.

Decades?

Sports have never been bigger and only can grow. United btw is still the headline..

Figure?
Figures!

Now is the time to invest and take part.

mav_9me

He'll probably be better by Glazers by the sheer virtue of not leveraging the club and taking out dividends but even then is he would be be the guy takes us back to the to?
It's hard running a football club and I doubt he has any expertise in that field, he might look at us a toy to play around with unneeded meddling in somethings he won't understand.

Anyway if he really is seriously about this and it goes through I try to be optimism as he won't be worse then the disastrous ownership we're under right now, but if there were alternatives I'd probably prefer them to musk owning us.
Doesn't look like it

RedDevil@84

As has been pointed out numerous times, he can't actually joke like that about a public listed company.
What is the law that is getting broken? Market manipulation?

Also, didn't he tweet similar stuff about Coca Cola too?

DevTheRed

Never in a million years.

Only hope we have is that he drunkenly buys us one night when he’s stoned out of his mind.

DeGea’sFeet

Already he’s most liked tweet. What started as a joke in response to people begging, might end becoming something he actually considers.

Sviken

Also by virtue of being a thousand times more competitive and competent than the Glazers. Glazers are pretty much small fry compared to him. Again, whether you agree with Musk or his views, he knows how to run a business. He'll at the very least hire the best of the best in charge of the club and won't rely on nepotistic hirees and incompetent buffoons that we have been saddled with.
Umm, since when does the owner's expertise in football matter? Do the City owners have any expertise in football? What matters here is to know how to delegate and hire the right people for the job. It's not like Musk is going to run the club himself.

I think he is wumming, as per usual. It's too good to be true and as a United fan, I've learned not to get my hopes up, so you can relax. There's like 1% chance of him buying us at best.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Already he’s most liked tweet. What started as a joke in response to people begging, might end becoming something he actually considers.
This might be the accidental way to get a new owner! All that talk about some militant action against the current ownership like protests, emptying the stadium etc is pointless when you don't have an end-goal or target.
We hope Musk goes on a coke binge and buys up United!

Strelok

Just like he bought Twitter recently... oh wait...
After the twitter business if he says but doesn't buy United who gonna trust him the next time he says anything? He will lose almost all of his 'internet credibility' if so.

Man United cost only a fraction of his worth. This guy loves media coverage. The Glazers are looking to sell. It's like some destiny call. Perfect fit for both.

Anyway I'd love him to buy United. We're currently shite. The worst outcome possible is we keep being shite.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
After the twitter business if he says but doesn't buy United who gonna trust him the next time he says anything? He will lose almost all of his 'internet credibility' if so.

Man United cost only a fraction of his worth. This guy loves media coverage. The Glazers are looking to sell. It's like some destiny call. Perfect fit for both.

Anyway I'd love him to buy United. We're currently shite. The worst outcome possible is we keep being shite.
Our yardstick/litmus test for new potential super-rich owners: Are they better than MBS or a Saudi sovereign fund?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Also by virtue of being a thousand times more competitive and competent than the Glazers. Glazers are pretty much small fry compared to him. Again, whether you agree with Musk or his views, he knows how to run a business. He'll at the very least hire the best of the best in charge of the club and won't rely on nepotistic hirees and incompetent buffoons that we have been saddled with.
I'm not contesting that, he'll probably be better than Glazers.
Umm, since when does the owner's expertise in football matter? Do the City owners have any expertise in football? What matters here is to know how to delegate and hire the right people for the job. It's not like Musk is going to run the club himself
They're rich oil Arabs with limitless money to spend on their passion project, they didn't run city like a business they ran it as an ego fueled hobby.

Musk won't be like that and considering he has zero expertise in sporting fields like say a bohley, he has bring in guys who are competent and back off and looking at his penchant for self advertisement im not sure he's willing to do that.
I think he is wumming, as per usual. It's too good to be true and as a United fan, I've learned not to get my hopes up, so you can relax. There's like 1% chance of him buying us at best.
True, no reason to believe it gets anywhere, still preferable to Glazers obviously.

Tarrou

he's always saying shit he doesn't follow through with

Strelok

Our yardstick/litmus test for new potential super-rich owners: Are they better than MBS or a Saudi sovereign fund?
Much better than both if him I'd say. It's not like we'd have too many choices here mate.

I'm not his fan but you can't deny he's super smart and knows how to run stuffs.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I find it funny people being against it because he hasn't got a clue about football - his businesses are not all his brainpower, he hires the best in class, its why his companies are so successful, IF, and that's a big if, he were to buy United, he wouldn't be involved in the day to day operations, he'd hire the best in each position possible, that means no Arnold, Murtough and Fletcher running around like headless chickens.

The Glazers represent the worst of both worlds, being hands on and don't invest their own money, what we ideally need is an owner to let us spend our own money and being hands off by hiring the best people to run it.

That's what Musk would do, although he'd constantly run his mouth on Twitter which would be annoying, but it beats being owned by the Glazers.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find it funny people being against it because he hasn't got a clue about football - his businesses are not all his brainpower, he hires the best in class, its why his companies are so successful, IF, and that's a big if, he were to buy United, he wouldn't be involved in the day to day operations, he'd hire the best in each position possible, that means no Arnold, Murtough and Fletcher running around like headless chickens.

The Glazers represent the worst of both worlds, being hands on and don't invest their own money, what we ideally need is an owner to let us spend our own money and being hands off by hiring the best people to run it.

That's what Musk would do, although he'd constantly run his mouth on Twitter which would be annoying, but it beats being owned by the Glazers.
Sounds good

Sviken

They're rich oil Arabs with limitless money to spend on their passion project, they didn't run city like a business they ran it as an ego fueled hobby.

Musk won't be like that and considering he has zero expertise in sporting fields like say a bohley, he has bring in guys who are competent and back off and looking at his penchant for self advertisement im not sure he's willing to do that.
Musk also has plenty of money to revamp the stadium, training grounds and buy every top player in the world and best football minds to run the club, if he wanted to. Why I don't believe this will happen is that football clubs are generally not very profitable businesses. They are owned by the small fry rich people (such as Glazers) or shady figures looking to "clean" their image such as City or PSG owners. Musk buying a club would be highly unusual since he has no need of it. It won't generate him any great profit and he doesn't need it as a "washing machine" like the Abu Dhabi owners do, or Abramovhich before them.

Only reason I might see this happen is it'll give lots of exposure to Tesla and Musk's vanity over having millions of United fans supporting him. United can be a good walking ad for Tesla and his other companies, that's for sure. I don't know, he might appreciate having millions of white knights at his disposal. That's a power of its own and when you're that rich, supporters start becoming more valuable currency than pure money. At any rate, as I said, it's too good to be true.

DeGea’sFeet

Much better than both if him I'd say. It's not like we'd have too many choices here mate.

I'm not his fan but you can't deny he's super smart and knows how to run stuffs.
Let’s be honest. It’s just the money and that he’ll pay off the debt, invest in our infrastructure, and our revenue will go to signings. In recent years he has all the characteristics of an eccentric billionaire who could easily turn United into a vanity project like just guy who was at Cardiff and spend billions but make us worse.