Breel Embolo | Signed for Schalke

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDFC Manager

Part in parcel when you have 9 out of 10 who have never seen him and are getting their hype from this thread, Twitter, and YouTube, only to see him for the first time and not have the hype match the performance.
Looks nothing special on YouTube highlights either

prath92

Robben was playing as striker. Van Persie was poor. Oh and who set up his second goal?

Yeah one of them was against Australia when they already had qualified. He wasn't great as he couldn't get in a poor attack.
Van Persie and robben were in form so he wouldn't displace them obviously. it had nothing to do with how good he was or wasn't.

He scored a goal that gave them a 3-2 win against Australia (which qualified them to the last 16) and scored a second off the bench in their 2-0 win against chile.

He wasn't world class but he had a good tournament for a 20 year old in his first year and playing his first tournament.

Bojan11

Van Persie and robben were in form so he wouldn't displace them obviously. it had nothing to do with how good he was or wasn't.

He scored a goal that gave them a 3-2 win against Australia (which qualified them to the last 16) and scored a second off the bench in their 2-0 win against chile.

He wasn't world class but he had a good tournament for a 20 year old in his first year and playing his first tournament.
Van Persie was in form?

He was piss poor the whole tournament apart from his brilliant header.

ti vu

Van Persie was in form?

He was piss poor the whole tournament apart from his brilliant header.
Agree. Memphis was like Origi that WC. They have some strong points and surprise value since not many have deep info on them. That would work well as impact player, than a sole performer who can merit a starting position. LVG mostly used 5-3-2 and favor so someone like Wjinandum and Kuyt (not exactly Memphis role, but influential on Memphis not starting/ having bigger role) who contributes both offensive and defensive work.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
A threat again but Switzerland didn't really look for him enough

Still too early to really form an opinion one way or another
Especially when not properly played by Petkovic as Embolo is not a striker. The biggest issue for the Suisse is scoring with Drmic injured and Seferovic continuing to channel his inner Giroud. Thought it was smarter to either play him as a SS subbing in for Dzemaili and leaving Seferofic on or a like for like sub of Derdiyok for Haris.

You could see how uncomfortable he was at striker but this is the biggest problem the Suisse have atm, scoring

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's difficult using a single game to judge a young player. Even Martial looked "raw and clumsy" last night.

Bojan11

RvP scored 3 goals. In a tournament that's good enough. Plus he was captain.
I'm talking about performance. RVP wasn't fantastic aside from the Spain game where he scored 2 goals. He did nothing in the 3 knockout games and it was all up to Robben. Was even taken off in two of them due to being ineffective.

ti vu

Completely off topic here, but Jetro Willems has been incredibly impressive for PSV lately.
It's actually on topic. Some young prospect develops at later stage. Willems and Origi (Lukaku to some extend) hype went before their progression. This Embolo guy seems to be the same case. Players developed at different rate.

As my earlier post, this Embolo guy clearly has the raw talent. May not be ready to have a role for big teams, but if the big teams can gamble with the money now than paying big developing fee in few years, and sent him on loan somewhere to further his development, he may be good in few years.

Last edited:

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seen him last night and he didn't impress me at all. Actually i thought he was static and poor.

devips

If we have to develop a young striker, why Embolo? Why not Rashford and Wilson, the two promising talents we already have.

ti vu

If we have to develop a young striker, why Embolo? Why not Rashford and Wilson, the two promising talents we already have.
Thing is ideally, we need different type of forwards for different scenario. This Embolo guy has the natural stature to become a Drogba type of striker. You can't train Wilson, Rashford, Martial into that.

Red Viking

I dont think you should hold your breath for Wilson making it as he has been mostly poor in matches he played in the championship last season even when playing for a good side in that League. He has a lot of pace but every other aspect of being a striker he is fairly poor at, he lacks the qualities to become more than a decent Championship player in my opinion. Both Embolo and Rashford have a lot more to them than pace and that will be a difference to weather they can make it at top level or not.

settembrini

We might sign him and I think he's got good potential but I can't believe Mourinho is 'desperate' for him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Still reminds me more of a Diouf than the answer to our right wing prayers. Not convinced.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Wilson hasn't shown much at the PL level to be fair, and even while on loan at Brighton after a good start he seemed to fade away.

Getting Emobolo wont stop the development of Rashford, it will encourage competition and allow us to rotate without putting too much expectation on them to constantly score.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I guess he'd play back-up RW to a potential Mkhitaryan signing. Rashford must surely take all of the potential Ibrahimovic resting games and subs off as a striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He is a very big talent. Like a number of players with reputations, many more seasoned than Embolo, he has looked nervous on the big stage so far this tournament. The likes of Pogba, Griezmann, Kane, Gomes - none have looked as at ease as they do at club level, a club level that is often against better players.

I would not be surprised to see Rashford play like he's never seen a football before if he's sent on in a scenario that matters. Thankfully, we would know the truth, but I'd imagine fans from elsewhere would react just as many are reacting about Embolo.

He is a proper talent. I remember seeing him in the CL at just 17 and he was dancing around players and being a real threat. Europe's biggest clubs have been tracking for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.