Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Dominos

It's possible they'll be playing this season in reverse. Last 2 years they've over-performed in the 1st half of the season and it's evened itself out in the 2nd. This season they might have their positive variance in the 2nd half of the season.

Realistically it's probably just going to be a nothing season for them. He's taken them as far as he can, he's not going to better 5th place and an FA cup.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
I think we might owe Alan Shearer for this win. He set out perfectly, on MOTD, the failings of Brendans zonal marking fetish. He couldnt have continued with it after being called out so succinctly. Tonight, we marked man to man, with the posts covered. We defended so many corners, that he surely cant go back to it.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a better manager than he’s often made out to be on here.

GMoore23

4th best manager in the League and there's nothing wrong with that considering the 3 managers above him are the 3 best in the world.

IrishRedDevil

I think we might owe Alan Shearer for this win. He set out perfectly, on MOTD, the failings of Brendans zonal marking fetish. He couldnt have continued with it after being called out so succinctly. Tonight, we marked man to man, with the posts covered. We defended so many corners, that he surely cant go back to it.
I was hoping Shearer was going to mention it when they spoke to Rodgers from the studio after the game.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Is James Justin still injured? Feel like hes been injured for 2 years now.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Is James Justin still injured? Feel like hes been injured for 2 years now.
he got injured in February, he's back training, they seem to want to get him some U23 games before he's even allowed on the bench

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've time stamped this part of his post match interview just to show that he knows what he's talking about as a coach. I think he's quite underrated in his work from a tactical understanding perspective. He may be a work in progress as in charisma, but I think he is more than just a good coach too.

Here is him talking in depth about how to go about playing vs Liverpool:

He's quite spot on in how teams should go about playing vs Liverpool and City if they want a chance.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
he got injured in February, he's back training, they seem to want to get him some U23 games before he's even allowed on the bench
Ok thanks, it feels like so much longer. He was doing so well before the injury. R.Perreria now got a bad injury again too?.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Ok thanks, it feels like so much longer. He was doing so well before the injury. R.Perreria now got a bad injury again too?.
6-8 weeks with a fractured fibula

on Rodgers, he's getting people complaining because he took a moment to praise Emma Hayes as apparently he should have named other coaches also

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Top keeper and a lot of luck

The mane chance and Salah miss probably being their contribution there. But all in all its a deserved win. Klopp and VVD thought agreed too.

For all their injuries Leicester played a very good game yesterday.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That was a very unlike Rodgers outcome yesterday.

The smart money was on managing to lose 2-1 in the last 10mins.
Well done Bodge!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've time stamped this part of his post match interview just to show that he knows what he's talking about as a coach. I think he's quite underrated in his work from a tactical understanding perspective. He may be a work in progress as in charisma, but I think he is more than just a good coach too.

Here is him talking in depth about how to go about playing vs Liverpool:

He's quite spot on in how teams should go about playing vs Liverpool and City if they want a chance.
It’s amazing how rarely you hear a PL manager talk about tactics in that sort of detail. I always assume they’re thinking about that stuff anyway and the person asking the questions is just crap at getting it out of them. But maybe I’m giving them too much credit?

Klopp probably another honourable exception.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s amazing how rarely you hear a PL manager talk about tactics in that sort of detail. I always assume they’re thinking about that stuff anyway and the person asking the questions is just crap at getting it out of them. But maybe I’m giving them too much credit?

Klopp probably another honourable exception.
I think coaches that value tactics and see the game almost as chess will be quite passionate about a post mortem on the match or even generally talking about granularity of their philosophy. Tuchel and I think Pep have done this before. I found Potter's masterclass quite interesting as well:

It's true modern game is becoming more tactical and also more physically demanding. However what wasn't obvious to me Rangnick's tactical presentations was how the press does not mean more distance covered. You can press in zones (Tuchel himself credits Rangnick for teaching him this) and it's a smarter way to strangle the opposition. Regardless of if we have Rangnick/Rodgers/Poch/Ten Hag at the helm, I'm just really pleased that it's likely a coach who knows how to implement this.

Ole wanted us to press and would boil down his approach to "win the second balls" which explained why our press attempts looked like headless chickens. I have little doubt we will have a systematic press in our squad over the coming weeks.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think coaches that value tactics and see the game almost as chess will be quite passionate about a post mortem on the match or even generally talking about granularity of their philosophy. Tuchel and I think Pep have done this before. I found Potter's masterclass quite interesting as well:

It's true modern game is becoming more tactical and also more physically demanding. However what wasn't obvious to me Rangnick's tactical presentations was how the press does not mean more distance covered. You can press in zones (Tuchel himself credits Rangnick for teaching him this) and it's a smarter way to strangle the opposition. Regardless of if we have Rangnick/Rodgers/Poch/Ten Hag at the helm, I'm just really pleased that it's likely a coach who knows how to implement this.

Ole wanted us to press and would boil down his approach to "win the second balls" which explained why our press attempts looked like headless chickens. I have little doubt we will have a systematic press in our squad over the coming weeks.
The way we press has already improved alot. We are just really poor when we win back the ball.

leicsfaninpeace

That was a Rodgers masterclass last night- still buzzing from it now.

Really hope that the last 3 games are the sign that he’s finally turned things around here now. I personally can’t stomach any more of the tippy tappy pointless pedestrian football he’s served up for 95% of this season. Then he gets us playing like that

Was our best performance of the season, since beating Chelsea in the Cup Final, by a long way.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Name the 10 better than him
Klopp, Pep, Tuchel, Conte, Benitez, Ranieri, Arteta, Hassenhutl, Moyes and Potter.

Six of these are given. They have all won at least a big trophy. Moyes is probably the most controversial pick, but what he has done with West Ham now is a lot better than what Rodgers is doing with Leicester in my opinion. In all fairness, he also did a very good job at Everton.

(I’m not saying all of them are great, but that they are better than Rodgers who is not very good at all and will again underperform compared to the resources at hand.)

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He’s a better manager than he’s often made out to be on here.
There is a dislike for him personally on this forum but that shouldn't reflect on his coaching ability. How good a coach is sometimes gets confused by how much money they have to spend. I think Brendan Rogers is doing a good job with the budget he has.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Klopp, Pep, Tuchel, Conte, Benitez, Ranieri, Arteta, Hassenhutl, Moyes and Potter.

Six of these are given. They have all won at least a big trophy. Moyes is probably the most controversial pick, but what he has done with West Ham now is a lot better than what Rodgers is doing with Leicester in my opinion. In all fairness, he also did a very good job at Everton.

(I’m not saying all of them are great, but that they are better than Rodgers who is not very good at all and will again underperform compared to the resources at hand.)
There is no way that Moyes, Benitez, Potter, Arteta or Hassenhüttl can be called better than him at this point. Probably not Ranieri anymore either.

Benitez winning a trophy many years ago does not really reflect on him as a manager in 2021. He’s a distinctly average manager these days.

What has Potter won?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
There is no way that Moyes, Benitez, Potter, Arteta or Hassenhüttl can be called better than him at this point. Probably not Ranieri anymore either.

Benitez winning a trophy many years ago does not really reflect on him as a manager in 2021. He’s a distinctly average manager these days.
I disagree. Rodgers is not a good PL coach at all. His teams looks a mess, and it is baffling how highly rated he is in the UK.

Leicester have conceded 33 goals in 18 games this season. And it is not a one off for him. His teams always concede alot.

kyofusho

I disagree. Rodgers is not a good PL coach at all. His teams looks a mess, and it is baffling how highly rated he is in the UK.

Leicester have conceded 33 goals in 18 games this season. And it is not a one off for him. His teams always concede alot.
I think that's a rather harsh take, to be honest. He clearly is a good coach, but in his best moments he is perhaps overrated a little.

Leicester's defence has been poor this season but they've also suffered badly with injuries. Rodgers has never been known as a defensive coach though so perhaps the combination of injuries and this has magnified their deficiencies? These shortcomings have likely been masked by the fact that their first choice defenders are all very good players.

Case in point: last season, their defence wasn't nearly as disrupted and they conceded 41 in 38, which isn't too bad at all.

I'd wager that, had Fofana, Evans and Soyuncu not been out for much of this season, we wouldn't be having this conversation :)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

This logic is really broken. Moyes failed horribly at United and Sociedad. Arteta I don't think has shown anything to be better than Rodgers, Ranieri was a fluke with Leicester, you may as well add Di Matteo among the elite because he won a CL. Benitez is arguably chewed up by the modern game. Hassenhuttl? Good manager but very weird pick here. What Rodgers did with Swansea was no worse than what Hassenhuttl is currently doing with Southampton, all things considered.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
When Rodgers came in at Leicester this was there team;

Schmeichel,
Pereira, Evans, Maguire, Chilwell
Ndidi, Tielesman
Gray, Maddison, Albrighton
Vardy

They had players like Barnes, Iheanacho and Soyuncu in the squad. Only top 6 spend more on wages. Their owner, management and recruitment had been consistently great for years when he came in. He was very lucky to get that job, despite them underperforming a lot at the time.

They have, in my opinion, performed in accordance to their potential. People have gotten a bit carried away due to Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal performing quite poorly at times during the time period (Liverpool last year, Chelsea under Lampard) he has been at Leicester making the gap quite small.

But he has also failed to build something or improve upon what he got when he took charge. My bet is that it will end up the same way it did at Liverpool. Leicester will regress under him, and look more like the team he took charge off.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
This logic is really broken. Moyes failed horribly at United and Sociedad. Arteta I don't think has shown anything to be better than Rodgers, Ranieri was a fluke with Leicester, you may as well add Di Matteo among the elite because he won a CL. Benitez is arguably chewed up by the modern game. Hassenhuttl? Good manager but very weird pick here. What Rodgers did with Swansea was no worse than what Hassenhuttl is currently doing with Southampton, all things considered.
So did Rodgers at Liverpool as soon as Suarez left.

Arsenal, right now, look better organized than any Rodgers team ever has. They are on to something.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
There is a dislike for him personally on this forum but that shouldn't reflect on his coaching ability. How good a coach is sometimes gets confused by how much money they have to spend. I think Brendan Rogers is doing a good job with the budget he has.
It always puzzles me, the amount of hate for Brendan. Seems eternally polite and well spoken. I personally think that he is flawed in the way he sets us up, especially for set pieces, and would have gladly seen him sacked. But the attitude of “big club” fans toward him, kind of restore my desire for him to succeed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So did Rodgers at Liverpool as soon as Suarez left.

Arsenal, right now, look better organized than any Rodgers team ever has. They are on to something.
Rodgers over performed before that, and he lost big talent before the fall. Moyes toon the PL title winners and couldn't get top 4. The difference in failure is monumental.

And no, Arteta currently is doing well but let's not pretend hes doing what Leicester did season before last. Leicester were in the top 4 all season before dropping out in the final weeks when he had an injury crisis. Yes he bottled it ultimately but fecksake Arteta only just got into the top 4 now and that too because teams below him had postponements. You're just showing selective memory to make up 10 orher managers.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Rodgers over performed before that, and he lost big talent before the fall. Moyes toon the PL title winners and couldn't get top 4. The difference in failure is monumental.

And no, Arteta currently is doing well but let's not pretend hes doing what Leicester did season before last. Leicester were in the top 4 all season before dropping out in the final weeks when he had an injury crisis. Yes he bottled it ultimately but fecksake Arteta only just got into the top 4 now and that too because teams below him had postponements. You're just showing selective memory to make up 10 orher managers.
No. I try looking at how a team looks when they are off the ball, and how they look when the win it back. Leicester are, and have been for a while, quite similar to Man Utd under OGS. They are not well-organized off the ball. They dont press well. Neither in a low or high block. They dont transition well either when they win the ball back, and their build up-play is awful.

I think the teams of several of the coaches I mentioned have flaws. Especially Benitez, Moyes and Ranieri. But at least they defend well in a low block. Hassenhutl is not that good either. But he dont have to be when Rodgers is the benchmark.

Arsenal is getting better in every aspect, in my opinion. They are really progressing. He took over a broken team, and he started building something with a bunch of young players. Tactically, physically and recruitment wise they are progressing. Quite the opposite of Leicester at the moment.