Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ward has to be one of the worst goalkeepers ever in the Premier League.
Can’t think of many worse at a club that wants European football. I think his level is lower championship

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Is it not a case of Leicester just over achieved. They need they’re big 3/4 players on form to carry the others and unfortunately Vardy is getting on now, Maddison and Tielemens probably thought they’d be playing for Liverpool United or one of the oil rich fake clubs.
stand still in this league and you drop so fast, that’s what the owners have done
I honestly think it's a case of financial difficulties (players on big wages, cost of our new training ground, covid hitting the King Power business), and the owners not trusting Brendan with the money.

He bought Soumare, Daka, Vestergaard and Bertrand last season, and then didn't play any of them (though Betrand got injured).

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Because they were his signings. That's where the money went.
Praet should actually play more, been a quality player when used but Rodgers won't play him, Daka has the raw potential.

Its the likes of Vestergaard and Bertrand that kill you, huge money in wages tied up in players no where near the level

Lay

Is it not a case of Leicester just over achieved. They need they’re big 3/4 players on form to carry the others and unfortunately Vardy is getting on now, Maddison and Tielemens probably thought they’d be playing for Liverpool United or one of the oil rich fake clubs.
stand still in this league and you drop so fast, that’s what the owners have done
Rodgers has spent horribly as usual. He did the same at Liverpool and Celtic. They can’t spend due to his poor spending. Though they need to take blame for allowing him control of transfers when his record is patchy at best

Remember the geese

Leicester look a nice footballing side but unfortunately they have a really soft centre. In contrast, Spurs don't impress me at all but they are ruthless and generally get the job done.

GMoore23

You are not a good manager if you manage a team with 1 point in 7 matches - sorry you just aren't.
Fergie once took only 3 points in 7 matches, was he not a good manager??

The fact is, Leicester's squad was was in steep decline last season and a cash injection was badly needed this summer. Instead, the owners have banked the cash and set their own club up for massive failure, throwing Rodgers under the bus also.
To be honest, he probably should have walked.

mu4c_20le

He bought Soumare, Daka, Vestergaard and Bertrand last season, and then didn't play any of them (though Betrand got injured).
Praet should actually play more, been a quality player when used but Rodgers won't play him, Daka has the raw potential.

Its the likes of Vestergaard and Bertrand that kill you, huge money in wages tied up in players no where near the level
My personal opinion is that vestergaard is terrible, jury is still out for the rest but doesn't look great. I never really believed in Daka at the time, I remember people here were saying we missed a trick not going for him and were comparing him to Haaland!

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Fergie once took only 3 points in 7 matches, was he not a good manager??

The fact is, Leicester's squad was was in steep decline last season and a cash injection was badly needed this summer. Instead, the owners have banked the cash and set their own club up for massive failure, throwing Rodgers under the bus also.
To be honest, he probably should have walked.
It wasn't a refusal to spend !! We were up against FFP due to two years of really bad decisions & we were not allowed to spend. I'm not blaming Rodgers for all of the problems but he was part of the management team that made a dogs breakfast of the budget.
I would love for him to walk but he has a ten mil payout that he is not walking away from.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
My personal opinion is that vestergaard is terrible, jury is still out for the rest but doesn't look great. I never really believed in Daka at the time, I remember people here were saying we missed a trick not going for him and were comparing him to Haaland!
Daka needs to be played in a front 2, problem is the manager won't use a system like that regularly, thing is now I'd say all 3 of our striker need a partner, Vardy due to age the others because they don't work solo.

he won't do it because he can't leave out Barnes or Maddison, and our midfield needs Dewsbury-Halls energy and he just point blank refuses to drop Tielemans

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
It wasn't a refusal to spend !! We were up against FFP due to two years of really bad decisions & we were not allowed to spend. I'm not blaming Rodgers for all of the problems but he was part of the management team that made a dogs breakfast of the budget.
I would love for him to walk but he has a ten mil payout that he is not walking away from.
players like Praet, Soumare & Daka will thrive under the next manager.

Come the summer Evans, Soyuncu, Amartey, Perez, Mendy and Albrighton (I think) are all our of contract and will all have to sign reduced terms to stay

Lay

Daka needs to be played in a front 2, problem is the manager won't use a system like that regularly, thing is now I'd say all 3 of our striker need a partner, Vardy due to age the others because they don't work solo.

he won't do it because he can't leave out Barnes or Maddison, and our midfield needs Dewsbury-Halls energy and he just point blank refuses to drop Tielemans
Quite possibly the most overrated player in the league.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Quite possibly the most overrated player in the league.
his agent has filled his head with nonsense since the Euros, he still has a contract offer to sign, I can actually see him taking it in the summer when the offers he thinks he's getting don't come

Remember the geese

Maddison is playing in the front 3, Ndidi is being asked to be something he's not and Tielemans head isn't in it anymore
Really sad that it's come to this. I live relatively local to Leicester and I don't take pleasure in seeing them like this. Ndidi and Maddison should be part of a midfield 3 and played to their strengths. If Tielemans doesn't want to be there then he should have been sold and the money reinvested.

BarcaSpurs

Third favourites for relegation. Thing is you still see them as being too good to go down but other than Bournemouth and Forest, there's not many other properly bad teams. Everton will probably be in the mix but who else?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He's still a very good manager, but it seems like he lost the dressing room. They were tactially set up well in most of their games but individually they are showing nothing on the pitch. Their GK is awful.

If he goes, Dyche would be a very smart choice to replace him.
Are they set up for a dyche type manager? I’d say the squad is most suited to someone like bielsa.. they’ve got the attacking players to play his style. They don’t have the big target man dyche likes. They’d defo get relegated with dyche tryna lump the ball up to daka/vardy. You’ve got players like Maddison and tielemans who can play football.

Rojofiam

Are they set up for a dyche type manager? I’d say the squad is most suited to someone like bielsa.. they’ve got the attacking players to play his style. They don’t have the big target man dyche likes. They’d defo get relegated with dyche tryna lump the ball up to daka/vardy. You’ve got players like Maddison and tielemans who can play football.
Just because Dyche had to work with worse players it doesn't mean that's all he knows. For example, his Burnley side actually pressed pretty well considering the quality of the team. I'd be interested to see how he does with a much better squad (and presumably more resources). In my opinion, Everton was very stupid not to appoint him instead of Lampard earlier this year.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Really sad that it's come to this. I live relatively local to Leicester and I don't take pleasure in seeing them like this. Ndidi and Maddison should be part of a midfield 3 and played to their strengths. If Tielemans doesn't want to be there then he should have been sold and the money reinvested.
say what you like about the rest of the side but there is no doubt Maddison is thriving in the front 3, if we let Wilf be what he is, a destroyer and partnered Praet with KDH either side that is a quality midfield.

We wanted to sell Tielemans but no one made an offer

the_cliff

Third favourites for relegation. Thing is you still see them as being too good to go down but other than Bournemouth and Forest, there's not many other properly bad teams. Everton will probably be in the mix but who else?
Wolves look terrible this season tbf.

Defensively fragile compared to their teams of old. Fulham will also drop off imo.

Question for the Leicester City fans. Is Brendan in charge of your transfers ? Or is it a DoF that is in charge of recruitment ?

BarcaSpurs

Defensively fragile compared to their teams of old. Fulham will also drop off imo.

Question for the Leicester City fans. Is Brendan in charge of your transfers ? Or is it a DoF that is in charge of recruitment ?
They've been unlucky with injuries, Jiminez being back fit might help them even if he's not the player he was 3 years ago.

Fulham are the biggest over-performers based on expected points so would expect them to drop off, but they're already 10 points ahead of Leicester.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

its mainly the DoF but no player is signed that Rodgers doesn't want.

Perez, Bertrand and Vestergaard were Brendan signings, even overruling usual policy. I expect the DoF will take a firmer hand from here

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

Rodgers had a huge influence on the transfers but I believe he has been reined in & is not too happy about it.

arthurka

3m net spend and they sold their Captain and goalkeeper just before the window closed. They fried him, think he is a decent manager but the club generally did a number on him. He is out not a chance he survives this.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
What happened to Vestegaard? Looked decent at Southampton.

Big and slow but I thought he could pass well.

Foxes are terribly defensively surely he could at least help with set pieces?

NoPace

What happened to Vestegaard? Looked decent at Southampton.

Big and slow but I thought he could pass well.

Foxes are terribly defensively surely he could at least help with set pieces?
Could see a new manager bringing him back. Faes is very aggressive if today was his true self. They could play like this after bringing in a new keeper in January:

--------------Daka--------------------Vardy-----------------
------------------------Maddison----------------------------
-------------KDH/Tielemans--DM--------------------------
Justin-----Faes-Vestergaard-Evans----Castagne
---------------------------Keeper-------------------------------

it wouldn't be pretty, but they'd stop conceding the most set pieces in the league, Daka would get to start and he looks their hungriest player most weeks, Vardy might have one last year left if he's in a pairing and not alone up top.

N'Didi might be revived by a new manager, but he only has one year left on his contract as of next summer so maybe some team desperate for a DM pays a decent fee for him and you use it on someone a bit better on the ball.

Leicester just need to avoid the drop this year. Good strikers, Maddison as a 10 and size in defence and proper fullbacks, you'd figure would be enough to get some results.

The other option is to sign a RW and another CB or a DM and move N'Didi to CB (Evans has lost a step so might improve if he doesn't play every game or can be a sub once you're ahead or tied or you can take him off the pitch if you're chasing the game) , hope Barnes and the midfield 3 of Maddison-CM-N'Didi can get back to form with one of Tielemans or Dewsbury-Hall having a solid 2nd half of the season as a #8.

The concerning thing today I think was that Rodgers' lineup made lots of sense. Justin tucking in on the left with Barnes (didn't get in the game at all) wide. Castagne providing width (made Maddison's goal that way) with Maddison tucking in from the right, an aggressive young CB and an older head who sits deep, don't give up the ball easily and let Spurs counter, but the set pieces and N'Didi being horrible on the ball led to 3 goals being conceded and then Son ripped them to shreds, though honestly Amartey should have come on for Evans and with more mobility in defence I don't think Son gets a hat trick.

That said, I thought it was very dumb from Rodgers that Spurs brought on Bissouma for Kulusevski and moved to a 3-5-2 and Rodgers responded by bringing on a striker for a midfielder AND still wanted the team to play out from the back, into what was now 3 vs 2 in the middle for Spurs when it was 2 vs 3 the other way until then. Of course they got into trouble repeatedly in the middle and Spurs countered AND had Son running riot against an exhausted and soon to be 35 year old Evans.

always_hoping

There was article the other day about what happened to the 33 Brendan Rodgers signings at Liverpool. Only a handful of them were successful and only successful after he left. Some amount of dead wood he left behind at Liverpool and he's done simliar now with Leicester and will take a good manager to sort out the mess left behind.

little.triangles

Rodgers is a decent manager for a upper mid-table club, but those 5th place finishes should not really be looked at as great achievements. They were 3rd for large periods in those seasons but completely lost their nerve in the new year. In 19/20 for example, they won only 5 of their 18 PL games since January. Only 2 more wins and 1 draw would have seen them finish 3rd.

He gets his team to play well in the beginning of seasons only to disintegrate later on when the possibility of actually achieving something begins to loom. That was glorious in 13/14 with Liverpool (thank you tiny forehead Gerrard), but it has been a theme in his career in the PL.

Now he hasn't even managed to get Leicester off to a good start. It is not all his fault. A club heirarchy that doesn't show any ambition for whatever reason and a squad that is not refreshed is always doomed. However, coupled with Rodgers' history of bottle jobs, I don't think he will ever get a gig at a top-4 club in England again.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Rodgers is a decent manager for a upper mid-table club, but those 5th place finishes should not really be looked at as great achievements. They were 3rd for large periods in those seasons but completely lost their nerve in the new year. In 19/20 for example, they won only 5 of their 18 PL games since January. Only 2 more wins and 1 draw would have seen them finish 3rd.

He gets his team to play well in the beginning of seasons only to disintegrate later on when the possibility of actually achieving something begins to loom. That was glorious in 13/14 with Liverpool (thank you tiny forehead Gerrard), but it has been a theme in his career in the PL.

Now he hasn't even managed to get Leicester off to a good start. It is not all his fault. A club heirarchy that doesn't show any ambition for whatever reason and a squad that is not refreshed is always doomed. However, coupled with Rodgers' history of bottle jobs, I don't think he will ever get a gig at a top-4 club in England again.
If he stays, he'll get them into 17th position and shit the bed on the final day against an already relegated team and send them down. That's Brentan for you!

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
A year ago people wanted him as United Manager, how time flies.