Brentan Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
My word, I can't believe I didn't know of the existence of this nugget! :lol::lol:
The whole "Being Liverpool" series is a must watch, it really is - it was such a brilliant time for them to make it: it started with them sacking the club's greatest ever legend Dalglish, bringing in Rodgers with the cameras following him around on his first day and with many segments of him sitting back in his office dishing-out his wisdom in his magnificent style, a poor pre-season where they lost a much hyped (in the series) game in Boston the home of their owners, the Sterling incident in the video, the envelope speech, Carragher being subtitled, losing the opening game of the season to (I think) West Brom, Skrtel making a terrible mistake against City costing Liverpool the win, and then the finale of that awful transfer window when they failed to sign fecking Clint Dempsey who went to Spurs on deadline day.

It was a tremendously entertaining piece.

Timdbro

The whole "Being Liverpool" series is a must watch, it really is - it was such a brilliant time for them to make it: it started with them sacking the club's greatest ever legend Dalglish, bringing in Rodgers with the cameras following him around on his first day and with many segments of him sitting back in his office dishing-out his wisdom in his magnificent style, a poor pre-season where they lost a much hyped (in the series) game in Boston the home of their owners, the Sterling incident in the video, the envelope speech, Carragher being subtitled, losing the opening game of the season to (I think) West Brom, Skrtel making a terrible mistake against City costing Liverpool the win, and then the finale of that awful transfer window when they failed to sign fecking Clint Dempsey who went to Spurs on deadline day.

This feels like I've gone back in time and haven't started watching The Wire yet, sounds fantastic!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

You had me at blood and semen.

Empire

"Steady boss 100k ain't enough I got 9 kids to feed you better make me a real offer now."

Sterling to hold him ransom and then Henderson and then Coutinho.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
You could make a case for Mignolet as much as Ospina. He's had a bad spell this year which all of you remember fondly but he's a very good goalkeeper if his confidence is up. You'll probably disagree but Sakho is a better CB than both Koscielny and Mertesacker in my opinion (gets picked over Koscielny for France most of the times as well if I remember correctly). Santi Cazorla isn't a CM, I'd prefer a Henderson-Ramsey midfield over Ramsey-Coquelin or Ramsey-Cazorla in the formation you're using. Ozil is a better player than Coutinho but the latter has been better this season so it wouldn't be a ridiculous claim to have him over Ozil, at least I know I would for his passing, vision and creativity, although I have to admit Ozil has been doing very well lately. And if fit (yes, I know that's a big if), Sturridge over Giroud all day. I'm not saying they would all get into a combined eleven but to say only Sterling would get into Arsenal's team is over the top for me.
Err no he isn't, Sakho couldn't even get into your team earlier on in the season whereas for me Koscielny has been one of the best defenders in the league.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
They lost and had Agger sent off. Also gave away two penalties. This is what they've decided to show to the world.
That's right - I remembered it was a total clusterfeck, but couldn't be bothered to dig-up the match report to refresh my memory; but I really should have :lol:

Brightonian

You could make a case for Mignolet as much as Ospina. He's had a bad spell this year which all of you remember fondly but he's a very good goalkeeper if his confidence is up. You'll probably disagree but Sakho is a better CB than both Koscielny and Mertesacker in my opinion (gets picked over Koscielny for France most of the times as well if I remember correctly). Santi Cazorla isn't a CM, I'd prefer a Henderson-Ramsey midfield over Ramsey-Coquelin or Ramsey-Cazorla in the formation you're using. Ozil is a better player than Coutinho but the latter has been better this season so it wouldn't be a ridiculous claim to have him over Ozil, at least I know I would for his passing, vision and creativity, although I have to admit Ozil has been doing very well lately. And if fit (yes, I know that's a big if), Sturridge over Giroud all day. I'm not saying they would all get into a combined eleven but to say only Sterling would get into Arsenal's team is over the top for me.
Wow.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Err no he isn't, Sakho couldn't even get into your team earlier on in the season whereas for me Koscielny has been one of the best defenders in the league.
I personally think he's the best defender in the league.

Vanrouge

Wow :lol: Just googled this before I replied because part of me thought it might not be legit.

Nope, he said it all right.
And not only that, but for brevity I only quoted part of that interview. Again, bearing in mind his team lost, it gets funnier:

Our intention is always to pass teams to a standstill, but give credit to Sunderland, they defended ever so well when other teams might have wilted.

“I suppose when you pay that kind of money for Sessegnon and Gardner, £7m and £5m, they will come up with those moments of real quality.

“Our objective at the start of this season was to stay in the league but I believe we can finish in the top 10. Of course, it is all about getting results but I still thought we were brilliant.

The bolded stuff, yes, but also using Sessegnon and Gardener and their price tags to imply Sunderland had somehow "bought" their results is, well, barking mad, really.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

As for the Rodgers quotes: I won't disagree they're (very) daft, but it's not like you have a modest man or a saint at the helm yourselves. It's only because of the language barrier that he's not been too arrogant this season. You should've heard some of his press conferences when he coached the NT, it was like he thought he'd invented the universe and only his approach of football was right. That's not a problem if you have the results to back you but he's been getting an incredible amount of stick in the Dutch press in the beginning of the season.
In what world is Sakho better than Koscielny? Seriously, what an absolutely absurd suggestion. Not even the most blinkered Liverpool fan could really, actually believe that?

In the biggest game of Liverpool's season Coutinho was nowhere to be seen, unless it was when he was giving it away and we broke for the counter and scored. Ozil taught him a footballing lesson on Saturday. Since his return Ozil has been playing at a higher standard that Coutinho achieved this season.

Can't argue with Sturridge - when he's fit and firing he's the third best CF in the league for me (behind Aguero and Costa). But that is my personal opinion, and I wouldn't really argue with others claiming Rooney is better. Having said all that, Sturridge hasn't been fit, nor firing this season whilst Giroud has been in tremendous, career-best form lately.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Don't agree with Sakho over Koscielny but he's ahead of Mertesacker for me. I'd have Coutinho over Ozil too for this season. I'd say if Sturridge was in the form he was in last year then he'd be ahead of Giroud, but due to his form and injuries I'd pick Giroud.
Fair enough, I won't argue with any of that.

I wanted to see this legendary arrogance of his, another poster mentioned it's probably the language barrier that has prevented it, I hope his English improves so I can see it for myself.
I doubt it, he's quite old and probably won't be here for a very long time.. His English will improve but not to the extent that he can express himself the way he really wants to. It's a shame though, because his press conferences in Dutch make you think he's a nutcase but he's got it spot on most of the times.

You say that as if winning 7 league titles, 7 domestic cups, a Champions League, a UEFA Cup, and two Super Cups, with 4 different clubs, as well as finishing 3rd in the World Cup, doesn't give someone a right to arrogance in their ability as a football manager. Or at least gives them equal right as a bloke who's only piece of silverware is winning the fecking Championship play-offs.
You won't ever truly understand what I mean because you're not a native Dutch speaker. I can't explain it either because his quotes, the way he behaved himself and how he offended the journalists in front of him are all impossible to explain in English. Sure, you can be full of confidence and even (a little) arrogant when you've got the track record to back you up, but what he did and said goes way beyond that. You can see some signs of his general behaviour in his press conferences in England but it's not the same as normal because he struggles to express himself properly. Don't get me wrong, I rate him very highly as a coach and I loved his arrogance at AZ and the Dutch national team (see above), but just wanted to say that he also said some very stupid things over the course of his career. Those quotes often go missing because nobody cares about them if you win as much trophies as Van Gaal. For the record, I did say Rodges' comments are daft and I meant it, he's a good manager but sometimes needs to cut the bullshit in his interviews and just get to the point. Pellegrini is an example for all managers in the Premier League on that matter.

In what world is Sakho better than Koscielny? Seriously, what an absolutely absurd suggestion. Not even the most blinkered Liverpool fan could really, actually believe that?

In the biggest game of Liverpool's season Coutinho was nowhere to be seen, unless it was when he was giving it away and we broke for the counter and scored. Ozil taught him a footballing lesson on Saturday. Since his return Ozil has been playing at a higher standard that Coutinho achieved this season.

Can't argue with Sturridge - when he's fit and firing he's the third best CF in the league for me (behind Aguero and Costa). But that is my personal opinion, and I wouldn't really argue with others claiming Rooney is better. Having said all that, Sturridge hasn't been fit, nor firing this season whilst Giroud has been in tremendous, career-best form lately.
Fair enough, I wouldn't argue with someone over picking Koscielny over Sakho but on the other hand, Sakho over Koscielny isn't an absurd suggestion at all. He started four out of France's five WC games, Koscielny started one. Sakho started against Brazil two weeks ago, Koscielny started against Denmark three days later. So surely it isn't such an outlandish claim as you both seem to think? In my opinion, Koscielny is a good defender in general but he gets caught out of position too often and makes too many silly mistakes in and around the box. You could probably sum up some negatives about Sakho so it's just a matter of opinions.

Like I said, Ozil is a better player than Coutinho but had a bad start to the season. Coutinho is still too inconsistent to be considered on the same level as Ozil, but he's been very, very good this season, that's why I'd have him over Ozil in a combined team right now. Again, that's just a matter of which criteria you're taking into account. As for the Sturridge/Giroud part, I agree with all of that.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I doubt it, he's quite old and probably won't be here for a very long time.. His English will improve but not to the extent that he can express himself the way he really wants to. It's a shame though, because his press conferences in Dutch make you think he's a nutcase but he's got it spot on most of the times.

You won't ever truly understand what I mean because you're not a native Dutch speaker. I can't explain it either because his quotes, the way he behaved himself and how he offended the journalists in front of him are all impossible to explain in English. Sure, you can be full of confidence and even (a little) arrogant when you've got the track record to back you up, but what he did and said goes way beyond that. You can see some signs of his general behaviour in his press conferences in England but it's not the same as normal because he struggles to express himself properly. Don't get me wrong, I rate him very highly as a coach and I loved his arrogance at AZ and the Dutch national team (see above), but just wanted to say that he also said some very stupid things over the course of his career. Those quotes often go missing because nobody cares about them if you win as much trophies as Van Gaal. For the record, I did say Rodges' comments are daft and I meant it, he's a good manager but sometimes needs to cut the bullshit in his interviews and just get to the point. Pellegrini is an example for all managers in the Premier League on that matter.
I can confirm this, it's indeed difficult to explain. Van Gaal is a great manager, but he really is a weird man. Dutch people usually are direct, but he's an extreme case. He has a lot of confidence in himself, which isn't a bad trait, but he really is his own biggest fan. The amount of times he named his CV is surreal. He sometimes speaks about himself in 3rd person too.

He praises himself for everything. The new bus for the national team? He designed it (he literally said he made it) and it was great because of this (no mention of the manufacturer at all). We signed Valdes after he trained with us for weeks? See how fast we do business here? We're great at signing players quickly.

I do think he's mellowed a bit since it's his last job and he wants to leave football on a high. He knows he had personal issues at all other clubs he's worked for and will want to avoid this (Manchester United is a great club in the respect that the manager isn't questioned much). The language barrier is also a thing, he's from an older generation who didn't learn English in school. I have a gut feeling his wife also has something to do with it. Men like to brag about their girlfriends and he's no different. The difference is he's a well known man around the (football) world and does it in public. Everyone knows they sleep 'spoony spoony' (little spoon, big spoon?). He doesn't avoid the odd joke about how good he's in bed either. His wife is terrified of public conventions when he gets a microphone while she's there.

All in all, when he speaks about football he usually is spot on. He's a gentleman and really he's a nice guy who values other peoples' opinion highly. But he comes with a handbook of rules: it's either his way or you're dead to him. The bad side to him is that he's a bit too full of himself and outside of football he talks alot of bollocks too.

Like van Bommel once said: great coach, weird man.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He praises himself for everything. The new bus for the national team? He designed it (he literally said he made it) and it was great because of this (no mention of the manufacturer at all).
I can't stop laughing even when I think about it now :lol: It's a real shame most of the United supporters can't see or understand those Voetbal International compilations about him, they're truly awesome. But I agree with your post, and especially the Van Bommel quote - describes him perfectly.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
@NL Max Everything you wrote about Van Gaal just makes him seem more loveable and legendary for me. It really makes the story about him showing his balls to the Bayern players seem true.

The big difference is that Rodgers just comes out with total bullshit which you know he's saying to try and appear as if he's thinking on a higher level than other managers and it comes across as very fake. It's like he's just been reading self help books and getting advice from there.

van Gaal however seems naturally crazy so it's ok to behave how he does. I don't think the english press would mind if his english was better and he started saying lots of weird stuff because it makes for a good story and he would be loved like Mourinho for it.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
@RobinLFC

Sakho scored two important goals in the qualifications I believe, and since then he kept his spot in the France side. Why he is chosen over Koscielny I will never know - but that's my opinion so it's fair enough if you don't agree with it.

Though on exposed form Koscielny has been one of the best CB's in the PL for a few seasons now, whilst Sakho has struggled. Though he is young enough to improve and I expect he will. Koscielny does have several years on him though, so I'd expect him to be the more polished player at this point in time.

Coutinho can be sensational and I see Rodgers as the man to bring the best out of him.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
@NL Max Everything you wrote about Van Gaal just makes him seem more loveable and legendary for me. It really makes the story about him showing his balls to the Bayern players seem true.

The big difference is that Rodgers just comes out with total bullshit which you know he's saying to try and appear as if he's thinking on a higher level than other managers and it comes across as very fake. It's like he's just been reading self help books and getting advice from there.

van Gaal however seems naturally crazy so it's ok to behave how he does. I don't think the english press would mind if his english was better and he started saying lots of weird stuff because it makes for a good story and he would be loved like Mourinho for it.
Oh I totally agree! I love him because he's like the clown in class. You know he isn't 100% but you can't help but laugh. Since I'm not his wife I have no problems with him flipping out and doing weird stuff, I actually hope he does more of it. Since he's actually a good coach too it's even better. I wouldn't have him as a friend though.

I respect Rodgers, he is a coach who is learning the business step by step and he's pretty good tactically. He might turn out to be great, but he has everything to prove still. I just can't stand him as a person, he's not funny and spurts too much nonsense for me.

EDIT: That story about his balls is true :lol:

Last edited:

surf

As Swansea manager, he said this, after a game at Sunderland:

“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful."

Swansea lost 2-0.
:lol:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Oh I totally agree! I love him because he's like the clown in class. You know he isn't 100% but you can't help but laugh. Since I'm not his wife I have no problems with him flipping out and doing weird stuff, I actually hope he does more of it. Since he's actually a good coach too it's even better. I wouldn't have him as a friend though.

I respect Rodgers, he is a coach who is learning the business step by step and he's pretty good tactically. He might turn out to be great, but he has everything to prove still. I just can't stand him as a person, he's not funny and spurts too much nonsense for me.
I wonder how Van Gaal would have done if he had went to Spurs like he originally planned. Would have been a pretty crap last job in football after managing the likes of Ajax, Bayern and Barcelona. Is it true they call him 'Lucky Louie' in Holland? The United job opened up at the perfect opportunity for him. A time where he wanted a job in England and we needed a new manager but the likes of Mourinho, Guardiola and Klopp were all unavalible.

Yeah Rodgers is a good manager but he needs to talk less. He must hate Gerrard. If it wasn't for that slip Rodgers reputation would be amazing for winning the league for Liverpool at such a young age and in such style.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I wonder how Van Gaal would have done if he had went to Spurs like he originally planned. Would have been a pretty crap last job in football after managing the likes of Ajax, Bayern and Barcelona. Is it true they call him 'Lucky Louie' in Holland? The United job opened up at the perfect opportunity for him. A time where he wanted a job in England and we needed a new manager but the likes of Mourinho, Guardiola and Klopp were all unavalible.

Yeah Rodgers is a good manager but he needs to talk less. He must hate Gerrard. If it wasn't for that slip Rodgers reputation would be amazing for winning the league for Liverpool at such a young age and in such style.
He's a great manager who can punch above his weight, I think he still would've done a good job at Tottenham. Maybe not win the PL but he's an excellent team builder. If his surroundings are good he's capable of magic since he reads the game so perfectly and always has a plan. His personality always prevents him from being at a club for a long time though. That's why I think he will succed here. With the funds of Manchester United and the club culture of always listening and obeying the coach, this club is perfect for him. It suits his weird egoistic personality and he has no problem in getting rid of players which aren't to his liking.

I think I remember him being called that at some point, but as far as I know it's not one of his nicknames. I could be wrong. You guys really are missing out big time, he is a gentleman here in England but deep down he's a (hilarious) nutcase.

I really thought Rodgers' had done it last season. I was already willing to give him full credit, but how they let that slip is just.. I can just laugh, I don't know what else to do :lol:

Mindhunter

This guy has completely lost his marbles.

Rodgers described Liverpool’s performance as “outstanding” and Raheem Sterling as “absolutely incredible” despite the lack of quality on display until Coutinho swapped passes with the impressive Jordan Henderson and found Eastwood’s far corner.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's a great manager who can punch above his weight, I think he still would've done a good job at Tottenham. Maybe not win the PL but he's an excellent team builder. If his surroundings are good he's capable of magic since he reads the game so perfectly and always has a plan. His personality always prevents him from being at a club for a long time though. That's why I think he will succed here. With the funds of Manchester United and the club culture of always listening and obeying the coach, this club is perfect for him. It suits his weird egoistic personality and he has no problem in getting rid of players which aren't to his liking.

I think I remember him being called that at some point, but as far as I know it's not one of his nicknames. I could be wrong. You guys really are missing out big time, he is a gentleman here in England but deep down he's a (hilarious) nutcase.

I really thought Rodgers' had done it last season. I was already willing to give him full credit, but how they let that slip is just.. I can just laugh, I don't know what else to do :lol:
LVG does seem a perfect fit, can't see the board having a problem with his eccentricities, and we give the manager so much power that he should be quite comfortable here!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Rodgers does not hate Gerrard, I wish he did a bit more and we wouldn't have had such a poor start to the season. Downing and Jedinak totally owning him (and our midfield) still brings tears of sadness and anger. Warnock and fcking Fat Sam out thought us because of our insistence in playing Gerrard.

Anyway, back to LvG. May I play devil's advocate as I'm genuinely interested? Not a windup as people will inevitably say:

IF (yes IF) LvG had been brought in instead of Moyes last season and LvG bought the same players (Di Maria, Falcao, etc) do you reckon you'd be anywhere near top 4? City would be walking the league with 100+ goals, Liverpool close behind with 100+ goals from Suarez/Sturridge, Chelsea probably 3rd. And Arsenal always doing an Arsenal and finishing 4th.

And had LvG not finished 4th would he still be regarded as highly as he is being this season?

bishblaize

IF (yes IF) LvG had been brought in instead of Moyes last season and LvG bought the same players (Di Maria, Falcao, etc) do you reckon you'd be anywhere near top 4? City would be walking the league with 100+ goals, Liverpool close behind with 100+ goals from Suarez/Sturridge, Chelsea probably 3rd. And Arsenal always doing an Arsenal and finishing 4th.

And had LvG not finished 4th would he still be regarded as highly as he is being this season?
Ive wondered that myself. Hard to know of course, but the key thing is that our 7th place finish was almost entirely as a result of our head to head records against the top teams.

We dropped 30 points from those games (W1, D3, L8), and of course they were all classic 6 pointers. Liverpool for example finished 20 points ahead of us, but 12 of that difference came from you doing the double over us. (If reversed, we'd have finished on 70 points and you on 78).

LVG has shown this season that he's pretty good in the big games and I'm fairly confident he'd have taken a good chunk of those 30 points, and at the same time taken them away from our opponents.

Do the double over Everton and Spurs, & beat Liverpool and Chelsea at home, and we'd have finished fourth. I don't think its outlandish to think that could have happened with LVG at the helm. Chuck in a less likely result (winning away to one of Liverpool, Arsenal, City or Chelsea) and we'd have finished 3rd or 2nd.

That's before we consider the 13 points dropped at home to teams outside the top 7.

If LVG had overseen the same kind of form as he has season, and allowing for the fact that we'd have taken points off our rivals as well as gained more, then there's no reason to think he would have finished outside of the top 4.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Rodgers does not hate Gerrard, I wish he did a bit more and we wouldn't have had such a poor start to the season. Downing and Jedinak totally owning him (and our midfield) still brings tears of sadness and anger. Warnock and fcking Fat Sam out thought us because of our insistence in playing Gerrard.

Anyway, back to LvG. May I play devil's advocate as I'm genuinely interested? Not a windup as people will inevitably say:

If he came in in June 2013 I think we would have done what Bishlaize has outlined.

What if LVG wasnt with Holland and the world cup and we got him in last April? We would have had at least another 6-8 points on the board at this stage?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
That's fair, though not sure you'd be able to turn a team over that contained SASAS and Coutinho/Gerrard on top form (despite the defensive lapses). Drawing against us would have been no good for you. However, you would have likely turned over a poor(er) Chelsea and Arsenal for sure. But you regularly beat Arsenal anyway at home. Plus, in your favour you'd have a team that had just won the league which LvG could have fortified earlier rather than let Moyes destroy.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
That's fair, though not sure you'd be able to turn a team over that contained SASAS and Coutinho/Gerrard on top form (despite the defensive lapses). Drawing against us would have been no good for you. However, you would have likely turned over a poor(er) Chelsea and Arsenal for sure. But you regularly beat Arsenal anyway at home. Plus, in your favour you'd have a team that had just won the league which LvG could have fortified earlier rather than let Moyes destroy.
Yep this, and also I think one of the big problems last year was a mentality problem, the team morale looked woeful. I don't think that would have happened with LvG.

finneh

I think merely because we'd have had a much more settled team and performed better against our rivals we'd have finished above Arsenal and maybe Liverpool (if we hadn't lost to you home and away you wouldn't have been a factor in the title race).

Bear in mind that between Liverpool, City, Everton, Spurs & Chelsea we dropped 28 points out of a possible 30. That horrendous record not only cost us points, but also pulled those teams away from us in the League. Even if you discounted the retarded tactics in certain other games, having a pretty average record of winning at home and losing away against those 5 teams would have United on 77 points, Arsenal on 79 points, Liverpool & Chelsea on 81 points.

That would essentially mean going into the last game of the season against Southampton level on points with Arsenal with greater goal difference (our GD was only 6 less despite a -15 goal difference in the games mentioned).

I think the chances of a manager like Van Gaal getting 2 points out of 30 against those 5 teams would be almost zero.

/edit: bishblaize got there first!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.