Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
All that’s really great guys, apart from the one small detail that Swinson pointed out that everyone seems to be overlooking, that moderate Tories are not about to overthrow their own government just to see it replaced by Jeremy Corbyn.

Fully Fledged

It’s is one of the most frustrating things about the Remain movement in general. It’s constantly telling everybody very loudly that they’re all idiots unless they do exactly what they want, without having any real mandate or authority to do so, and then seem perpetually baffled and even outraged when people won’t simply just do it.

Leave won the Referendum, Corbyn has won two Leadership contests, and yet everyone needs to sit down and listen to the sensible adults in C̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶U̶K̶ the Lib Dems because they say so...

And they’re completely oblivious to the optics of this, because Gary Linekar and James O Brien are on their side, or something.
But Gary Linekar eats nothing but Walkers Crisps so how can you trust that his judgement is good for you?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
All that’s really great guys, apart from the one small detail that Swinson pointed out that everyone seems to be overlooking, that moderate Tories are not about to overthrow their own government just to see it replaced by Jeremy Corbyn.
But the Tories have a threadbare governing mandate - and some of the Remain Tories still with the party have tried to pass themselves off as impassioned Remainers. If they are wanting to stand up to that conviction then they should be backing Corbyn and Swinson should be absolutely hounding them for it.

And it's not to mention that when asked whether she would prefer No Deal to a Corbyn government she was seemingly hesitant. Again, her actual power here is minimal - working with Corbyn is surely the strongest chance she's got of going against a No Deal Brexit. Labour obviously aren't going to get rid of their own leader to placate a party with less than 15-20 MP's.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How is Jeremy offering the surest way to prevent a No Deal Brexit ?
- is he
a) going to sign the Withdrawal Agreement
or
b) Revoke A50

No, I thought not.
For all their faults Labour have now committed to a no-deal Brexit. Corbyn's been shite on the issue for the most part but he's still leader of the opposition and so is the kingmaker here. The Lib Dems will have to work with him if they want to stop it.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
For all their faults Labour have now committed to a no-deal Brexit. Corbyn's been shite on the issue for the most part but he's still leader of the opposition and so is the kingmaker here. The Lib Dems will have to work with him if they want to stop it.
Yes but words mean nothing, the LibDems obviously don't trust him and they're probably not alone.
But what action is going to be taken to stop it. A GE and even a referendum would not stop it, and a fantasy deal certainly won't. There are only two ways to stop it which I listed above.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yes but words mean nothing, the LibDems obviously don't trust him and they're probably not alone.
But what action is going to be taken to stop it. A GE and even a referendum would not stop it, and a fantasy deal certainly won't. There are only two ways to stop it which I listed above.
They obviously don't trust him, and with good reason. He's been crap on the EU for the most part and has an incredibly Eurosceptic history. But all the same he's the leader of the largest Remain party (generally speaking) and thus they have to work with him.

They've been arguing for him to be more solidly Remain from the start...but now he's actually adopting a position they like, that's not enough? Do they expect him to just stand down? If so they're being remarkably naive/cynical/both. Again, the Lib Dems command about 2% of Westminster MP's. They don't have any substantive power here.

There are plenty of Remain Tory MP's who have set out their EU credentials thus far. Certainly enough to bring down a hard Brexit-leaning government. If they aren't willing to back Corbyn here then (like Swinson) a no-deal Brexit clearly doesn't bother them as much as they're claiming it does.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
But the Tories have a threadbare governing mandate - and some of the Remain Tories still with the party have tried to pass themselves off as impassioned Remainers. If they are wanting to stand up to that conviction then they should be backing Corbyn and Swinson should be absolutely hounding them for it.

And it's not to mention that when asked whether she would prefer No Deal to a Corbyn government she was seemingly hesitant. Again, her actual power here is minimal - working with Corbyn is surely the strongest chance she's got of going against a No Deal Brexit. Labour obviously aren't going to get rid of their own leader to placate a party with less than 15-20 MP's.
But which Tories are going to back Corbyn as PM? Need over ten I think.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
But which Tories are going to back Corbyn as PM? Need over ten I think.
I may not have the maths exactly here but isn't the current Tory working majority incredibly threadbare and basically only one or two MP's away from breaking down? And if that was the case, wouldn't that potentially be enough to at least bring down the government and force either a change of government or election?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I may not have the maths exactly here but isn't the current Tory working majority incredibly threadbare and basically only one or two MP's away from breaking down? And if that was the case, wouldn't that potentially be enough to at least bring down the government and force either a change of government or election?
But there are quite a number of MPs who are independent and with no intention of voting for Corbyn as PM. That's why there's a distinction between a no confidence motion in Boris (could well pass) and a confidence motion in Corbyn (won't). Corbyn's doing this for the politics, and to be fair it's pretty smart. As I said earlier though, I'm not sure why the Lib Dems don't back him, then when it fails ask why he's not stepping aside for others to try (answer being obvious).

Paul the Wolf

They obviously don't trust him, and with good reason. He's been crap on the EU for the most part and has an incredibly Eurosceptic history. But all the same he's the leader of the largest Remain party (generally speaking) and thus they have to work with him.

They've been arguing for him to be more solidly Remain from the start...but now he's actually adopting a position they like, that's not enough? Do they expect him to just stand down? If so they're being remarkably naive/cynical/both. Again, the Lib Dems command about 2% of Westminster MP's. They don't have any substantive power here.

There are plenty of Remain Tory MP's who have set out their EU credentials thus far. Certainly enough to bring down a hard Brexit-leaning government. If they aren't willing to back Corbyn here then (like Swinson) a no-deal Brexit clearly doesn't bother them as much as they're claiming it does.
Agree with most of what you say but looking from the outside, firstly Labour does not look like a Remain party and secondly his proposal looks like a cheap way of trying to get to no.10. If he wants to look like a remain party he should abandon his "we can negotiate a better deal" rubbish and actually go all out remain.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Grieve, Spelman, Letwin, Boles have confirmed they'll meet with Corbyn to discuss his proposal. Guto Bebb also said that he'd consider backing the proposal. The SNP, Green Party and Plaid Cymru have all displayed a willingness to discuss it. The idea that the government would have to be led by some backbench MP like Clarke or Harman is a Lib Dem fantasy derived from their overriding hostility to Corbyn.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Isn't it Ken Clarke who doesn't own a mobile phone and so Rory Stewart repeatedly had to send people looking for him to make sure he voted in the leadership ballots?

RedChip

Grieve, Spelman, Letwin, Boles have confirmed they'll meet with Corbyn to discuss his proposal. Guto Bebb also said that he'd consider backing the proposal. The SNP, Green Party and Plaid Cymru have all displayed a willingness to discuss it. The idea that the government would have to be led by some backbench MP like Clarke or Harman is a Lib Dem fantasy derived from their overriding hostility to Corbyn.
Think LibDems will back down, as they seem isolated in their stance. Even their new MP thinks it is the pragmatic thing to do.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Think LibDems will back down, as they seem isolated in their stance. Even their new MP thinks it is the pragmatic thing to do.
Yeah, it has not been a good day for the Lib Dems at all. Well done to the Labour leadership for once. Whether Swinson will actually yield on her unwillingness to countenance Corbyn as the leader of a temporary alliance remains to be seen though. My instinct is no but perhaps internal pressure as No Deal edges ever closer may force her hand.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Spelman has said there are no circumstance under which she’d vote for Corbyn as PM. The others have just said they’ll meet with him to discuss possible options, nothing more. Bebb is the only one who has sounded remotely like he might be a potential.

Even when you look at the other parties supposedly open to it, they’re including caveats. Plus the Change group have said no to the idea as have a number of individual independents.

Corbyn doesn’t have the numbers. He’s certainly going to lose some of his own more hardcore leave supporting MPs, so he’ll need all the progressive parties plus independents PLUS probably 6-7 moderate Tories to back his leadership. A guy who is monumentally unpopular in the country, widely disliked by the other party leaders, and whose name is used to frighten children in the Tory party.

To be fair if he pulls this off, then he deserves all the plaudits in the world, because it’ll make him a political genius.

Smores

Think its harsh lumping all Lib Dems in with this policy. It's a Swinson policy largely born out of her trying to sound tough in her leadership race, now she's stuck with it or will at least needs to put up a good show before overturning it.

If there's one party who can't afford to do further u-turns on election promises it's them.

Foxbatt

Isn't Corbyn saying that it is a temporary unity government with all the parties or people who doesn't want a no deal Brexit involved in the government? Anyway if Corbyn tries anything they do not like they can always bring down the government. It is also term limited and to extend the article 50 and then have a GE. What is wrong with that for the remainers? They get a chance at a second referendum, they get a GE to get rid of Corbyn and they get all they have been shouting about.
No they would rather have Brexit with no deal than Corbyn as PM even for a day. They are hypocrites.

MadMike

Isn't Corbyn saying that it is a temporary unity government with all the parties or people who doesn't want a no deal Brexit involved in the government? Anyway if Corbyn tries anything they do not like they can always bring down the government. It is also term limited and to extend the article 50 and then have a GE. What is wrong with that for the remainers? They get a chance at a second referendum, they get a GE to get rid of Corbyn and they get all they have been shouting about.
No they would rather have Brexit with no deal than Corbyn as PM even for a day. They are hypocrites.
A lot. First off Corbyn isn’t really offering a referendum. He is offering a GE which could go either way. The referendum comes a long way later if he wins the GE and if he gets the renegotiation he wants. There’s little to no chance of that happening based on how labour are polling. However a Tory win would see a no deal Brexit without any recourse.

Therefore his proposal is not removing the risk of no deal, merely reducing it and postponing it. Far from ideal for Remainers as you can imagine. It’s not a Remain alliance like people keep saying, since the biggest party in that alliance is Labour and they are officially a Brexit party.

I don’t mind Swinson displaying some brinksmanship to get a better result for Remain and for herself. And a better result would be either a pro Remain caretaker PM (i.e. not Corbyn) or a concession for a referendum before the GE, with no-deal off the ballot. She’s trying to turn Labour to a more Remain stance, using Corbyn’s unpopularity as leverage.

But like others have pointed out, if the play happens, the govt loses the no-confidence vote but Corbyn remains unyielding... then Swinson will have to back down and back Corbyn or be seen as complicit in allowing BoJo to run down the clock. Which I doubt would serve her or the Lib Dems well in the upcoming GE. Not that it would be good for Labour either mind you.

Last edited:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
It looks likely that if Corbyn stood aside then the Liberals and Tory rebels, who are also necessary for the proposal, might agree to it. As the interim government will supposedly not be there to implement Labour policy then there's no need for Corbyn to be it's leader as far as I can see. The pressure seems to be on Corbyn as much as the Liberals. Stand aside Corbyn, job's a good 'un.
It's not about labour policy or Corbyn, can you not see that?

RedChip

If there's one party who can't afford to do further u-turns on election promises it's them.
Well, I do not think they can afford not to u-turn, or at least Swinson can't. Their recent bounce in the polls will evaporate in no time if they are seen to be standing in the way of stopping no deal.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Well, I do not think they can afford not to u-turn, or at least Swinson can't. Their recent bounce in the polls will evaporate in no time if they are seen to be standing in the way of stopping no deal.
Dunno... If it's to let Corbyn in power whilst labours policy is still... Fight election and if they win pursue red brexit with unicorns then I think that hits the vote t least as hard

Remain or rejoin I think will be the libs mantra

And let's be honest Corbyn probably won't even carry all his own parties votes to be pm let alone all the libs SNP independents etc

Suspect Boris will steel the thunder and simply call a ge vote to shake up the remoaner parliament before a confidence motion is possible anyway as none of the brexiteers want a second referendum before. Ge (just like Corbyn)

redshaw

How is Jeremy offering the surest way to prevent a No Deal Brexit ?
- is he
a) going to sign the Withdrawal Agreement
or
b) Revoke A50

No, I thought not.
Exactly. He wants to re-negotiate.

What happens when he can't?

Underlying all that is Corbyn wants the reunification of Ireland. It's the main sticking point in Brexit.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Exactly. He wants to re-negotiate.

What happens when he can't?
No matter what deal he gets he will then have a referendum and I can't see any circumstances they would campaign against a deal they had negotiated... They are a fundamentally vote against the conservative party but they have leave leadership trying to con a remain membership

Ooooh Jeremy Corbyn indeed.

If Boris success in achieving a hard brexit I do wonder what labours next move will be

Libs will clearly be rejoin ... Might even rebrand as European democrats

Greens will be rejoin... SNP will be Scotland leaves UK and rejoins EU

Ireland will remain polarised around independence

Conservative will clearly not want to rejoin... What about labour?... More unicorns or split I think?...

Last edited:

RedChip

Dunno... If it's to let Corbyn in power whilst labours policy is still... Fight election and if they win pursue red brexit with unicorns then I think that hits the vote t least as hard

Remain or rejoin I think will be the libs mantra

And let's be honest Corbyn probably won't even carry all his own parties votes to be pm let alone all the libs SNP independents etc

Suspect Boris will steel the thunder and simply call a ge vote to shake up the remoaner parliament before a confidence motion is possible anyway as none of the brexiteers want a second referendum before. Ge (just like Corbyn)
It's the perception, I think, more than the reality that matters more. I don't like Corbyn and I quite agree with Swinson that he probably won't gather enough support anyhow. But we cannot get over the fact he is still leader of the official opposition and should be next in line to form a government should the current one lose a vonc. And, currently, an alliance of opposition parties and Tory rebels looks like the most viable path to stopping a no deal Brexit. For a minority remainer party, it is inconsistent to both refuse to sit down with Corbyn and vehemently oppose no deal.

Besides, it is a vicious circle: if Lib Dems are seen to be working closely with Corbyn, his chances of gaining other MPs' support increase. So Swinson saying that he won't get the required numbers without even trying to talk to him smells very much like party politics as usual.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's the perception, I think, more than the reality that matters more. I don't like Corbyn and I quite agree with Swinson that he probably won't gather enough support anyhow. But we cannot get over the fact he is still leader of the official opposition and should be next in line to form a government should the current one lose a vonc. And, currently, an alliance of opposition parties and Tory rebels looks like the most viable path to stopping a no deal Brexit. For a minority remainer party, it is inconsistent to both refuse to sit down with Corbyn and vehemently oppose no deal.

Besides, it is a vicious circle: if Lib Dems are seen to be working closely with Corbyn, his chances of gaining other MPs' support increase. So Swinson saying that he won't get the required numbers without even trying to talk to him smells very much like party politics as usual.
I don't think there is a commons majority for any particular type of brexit (hard, soft, none) but a majority against all three... Nor do I think there is a majority for a second referendum (before a ge) I suspect it's close if labour wouldn't whip against that.
A ge seems to be the only solution... Be that 2/3 vote for it (my gut feel is conservatives go this route) or after a no confidence motion and 14 days of messing about
I don't think any mp could command a majority at the moment and certainly not Corbyn as with A ge inevitable no other party will want to associate with a brand so toxic to voters

The horse trading to form a coalition after a ge that produced a hung parliament would be something to behold though

Smores

Nothing, there's plenty on here very opposed to Corbyn and this issue has clearly demonstrated those who just wish to moan regardless and those who take a fair view of each issue.

This whole argument of a Labour deal is a nonsense. Even if the EU entertain a renegotiation it's still only Labour providing a promised alternative to the public, that doesn't mean they back it over remain themselves. I'm not sure why that's hard to grasp for some.

Fluctuation0161

No matter what deal he gets he will then have a referendum and I can't see any circumstances they would campaign against a deal they had negotiated... They are a fundamentally vote against the conservative party but they have leave leadership trying to con a remain membership

Ooooh Jeremy Corbyn indeed.

If Boris success in achieving a hard brexit I do wonder what labours next move will be

Libs will clearly be rejoin ... Might even rebrand as European democrats

Greens will be rejoin... SNP will be Scotland leaves UK and rejoins EU

Ireland will remain polarised around independence

Conservative will clearly not want to rejoin... What about labour?... More unicorns or split I think?...
The leave vs remain vote is split down the middle regardless of party line (Labour or Conservative).

To describe Labour as leave leadership vs remain membership is overly simplistic (and incorrect) at best, its disingenuous and misleading of you at worst.

Paul the Wolf

Nothing, there's plenty on here very opposed to Corbyn and this issue has clearly demonstrated those who just wish to moan regardless and those who take a fair view of each issue.

This whole argument of a Labour deal is a nonsense. Even if the EU entertain a renegotiation it's still only Labour providing a promised alternative to the public, that doesn't mean they back it over remain themselves. I'm not sure why that's hard to grasp for some.
What seems hard to grasp by the Labour Corbyn supporters is that there is no alternative negotiation - there will be no change to citizens rights, there will be no change to the settlement and there will be no change to the backstop other than limiting it to NI instead of the whole of the UK. And no you cannot have the same benefits outside the EU as in it - ergo Corbyn and Labour are not offering a promised alternative to the public- it's garbage. If Tories or the LibDems had said it would have been laughed at by Labour but because it's Corbyn and Labour who have said it it's regarded as sensible. Jesus wept.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
All the parties are in a complete fecking mess. I don't see how there's much possibility of piecing together any sort of unity government.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
What seems hard to grasp by the Labour Corbyn supporters is that there is no alternative negotiation - there will be no change to citizens rights, there will be no change to the settlement and there will be no change to the backstop other than limiting it to NI instead of the whole of the UK. And no you cannot have the same benefits outside the EU as in it - ergo Corbyn and Labour are not offering a promised alternative to the public- it's garbage. If Tories or the LibDems had said it would have been laughed at by Labour but because it's Corbyn and Labour who have said it it's regarded as sensible. Jesus wept.
He's offering a ge where your mates can vote lib dems in and cancel brexit, but you dont really want that right?