Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smores

Take that you grease piglet.

The only reason they wanted this today was to cancel the extension request. Now onto tomorrow....

RedPed

Whatabouter.
does he have to retire? Is it a personal choice, or do you have to leave after x years
They change after a general election I believe or they can retire. They still have to be elected by the House though. I don't know how he does it but he's been awesome in that role.

finneh

Jesus, what?

The EU already has trade agreements with a lot of those "poor black people's" countries and is negotiating with others. What's Britain going to do outside of the EU that's better than that exactly?

Funny how you're looking out for the poor black people there despite in an earlier post stating that one of the reasons you voted Brexit is for tighter immigration rules.
The vast majority of deals that are in force are with wealthy first world nations with majority white (and South East Asian) populace. Onerous regulations are also designed to exclude poor countries who do not have the infrastructure to compete with countries inside the EU. Take a quick look at the Common Agricultural Policy if you're in doubt.

I didn't vote for Brexit for immigration purposes but believe free movement but only within a white country only block is again racist. Although as a democrat if the party in government had this in their manifesto and were voted in on this platform then I'd have to respect that.
That's a very novel and laudable argument.

Considering a large portion of leavers are xenophobic racists, that might actually convince them to change their vote to remain.
I find support for the EU and equality of races to be a fundamentally inconsistent position.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The vast majority of deals that are in force are with wealthy first world nations with majority white (and South East Asian) populace. Onerous regulations are also designed to exclude poor countries who do not have the infrastructure to compete with countries inside the EU.

I didn't vote for Brexit for immigration purposes but believe free movement but only within a white country only block is again racist. Although as a democrat if the party in government had this in their manifesto and were voted in on this platform then I'd have to respect that.

I find support for the EU and equality of races to be a fundamentally inconsistent position.
Finneh I would love to know what you think Britain is going to do differently to combat these issues when they're outside the EU and going it alone. You think they'll prioritise these African countries over the richer nations? You think they'll increase immigration from these countries as opposed to countries where far more skilled workers would come from?

This is a country who largely voted to leave because of xenophobic reasons, and you think that by leaving, you are going to do better than the EU did at helping out the poorer nations? What sort of logic is that?

Don't get me wrong, it's an incredible twist, calling the EU racist and using that as your excuse for leaving. Bravo.

Smores

I love the post Bercow ruling points of order and he so eloquently slaps them down every time.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Some of these anti-Bercow MPs make Klopp seem like the world's most sporting loser.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I've not argued it won't be a disaster because I don't know for sure but I do believe we are a big enough economy and a smart enough country to cope with whatever we do.

Last time: I voted remain because I work for a part of one of the biggest scientific companies in the world. The sector I work in (Agricultural research) conducts trials all over the world. I work very closely with colleagues in France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Romania, Poland, Greece, Italy and so on. I was concerned about what impact it would have on the UK branch of this company and still am. So far it has had no impact and there seems to be no mad panic at managment level but IF there was a second referendum, I would vote the same way.

So far it hasn't undermined client confidence but I do worry, of course I do.
Cheers mate.

finneh

Finneh I would love to know what you think Britain is going to do differently to combat these issues when they're outside the EU and going it alone. You think they'll prioritise these African countries over the richer nations? You think they'll increase immigration from these countries as opposed to countries where far more skilled workers would come from?

This is a country who largely voted to leave because of xenophobic reasons, and you think that by leaving, you are going to do better than the EU did at helping out the poorer nations? What sort of logic is that?
I would hope to abolish all agricultural subsidies and have worldwide tariff free trade. Irrespective of the colour of your skin you should have the opportunity to sell your goods into the UK without prejudice. I don't believe Europeans have the right to enrich themselves at the expense of poorer people; however this viewpoint is naturally incompatible with EU membership.

Any political party that wanted to unilaterally extend freedom of trade, particularly with poor countries who're currently starved and impoverished by EU trade policy, would have my vote. I also never said I think this would be achieved by leaving the EU. However leaving the EU is a necessary first step.

As an aside I'd point to the UK 0.7% of GDP being guaranteed to foreign aid as an example that our country tends to be at the forefront (50% more than Germany, double France, triple Italy, quadruple Portugal etc)

Massive Spanner

I would hope to abolish all agricultural subsidies and have worldwide tariff free trade. Irrespective of the colour of your skin you should have the opportunity to sell your goods into the UK without prejudice. I don't believe Europeans have the right to enrich themselves at the expense of poorer people; however this viewpoint is naturally incompatible with EU membership.

Any political party that wanted to unilaterally extend freedom of trade, particularly with poor countries who're currently starved and impoverished by EU trade policy, would have my vote. I also never said I think this would be achieved by leaving the EU. However leaving the EU is a necessary first step.
Yeah that's a nice dream, but none of it will happen, and the UK won't be the ones doing it.

I'm still failing to see what the EU have done to these African nations, can you clarify? A few articles or something maybe? I'm not dismissing your opinion here and I don't disagree that European nations have a loooong history of fecking up African nations but I've genuinely never seen anything regarding the EU being discriminatory towards them so more info would be nice.

Honest John

What is your point?

Leaving, to any sane and sensible person, is an idiotic idea which has a significant negative effect on the economy of the country for years to come. It's not surprising that people are reacting against it.

They are still yet to sell any benefits whatsoever to leaving the EU, only the will of the people which keeps being repeated, ad nauseum.
My argument is democratic not economic. I agree there are no economic benefits to leaving. I'm saying we should suck it up and do it, then change it when we don't like it. We don't re-run or overturn GE's because the wrong party won do we? For example I see total economic disaster if the current Labour party are given the chance to implement their policies. A lot of analysts including the City feel the same. So there is analytical evidence that a Labour government will lead to an economic hit on the country. If Labour won the election, the notion of the losers trying to overturn that vote on the basis of said economic analysis would be preposterous. The way would be to vote them out in 5 years, or earlier if those economic forecast were seen to be coming true. Why is that not the right way now?

finneh

Yeah that's a nice dream, but none of it will happen, and the UK won't be the ones doing it.

I'm still failing to see what the EU have done to these African nations, can you clarify? A few articles or something maybe? I'm not dismissing your opinion here and I don't disagree that European nations have a loooong history of fecking up African nations but I've genuinely never seen anything regarding the EU being discriminatory towards them so more info would be nice.
Again I'm not saying it'll happen, but it's a necessary step to get closer to that ideal. If you're a communist then voting for Corbyn isn't going to achieve your ideal, but it would be a step towards it.

Not the best article (especially as I'm anti trade union) but I'm leaving work now so don't have hours to post better articles http://www.tuaeu.co.uk/how-the-eu-starves-africa/

It's not difficult to find information regarding EU protectionism and the effect it has on the third world. A good start is the Common Agriculture Policy.

Smores

My argument is democratic not economic. I agree there are no economic benefits to leaving. I'm saying we should suck it up and do it, then change it when we don't like it. We don't re-run or overturn GE's because the wrong party won do we? For example I see total economic disaster if the current Labour party are given the chance to implement their policies. A lot of analysts including the City feel the same. So there is analytical evidence that a Labour government will lead to an economic hit on the country. If Labour won the election, the notion of the losers trying to overturn that vote on the basis of said economic analysis would be preposterous. The way would be to vote them out in 5 years, or earlier if those economic forecast were seen to be coming true. Why is that not the right way now?
It's been 3 years not 3 weeks. The determination of whether something has been given a chance isn't just whether it's been committed to or not but surely also whether it has been given due consideration?

The City favours Corbyn over Boris at least as reported by the FT.

Fingeredmouse

We literally do overturn the results of GE if the wrong party has been elected by holding another election as you rightly point out.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Again I'm not saying it'll happen, but it's a necessary step to get closer to that ideal. If you're a communist then voting for Corbyn isn't going to achieve your ideal, but it would be a step towards it.

Not the best article (especially as I'm anti trade union) but I'm leaving work now so don't have hours to post better articles http://www.tuaeu.co.uk/how-the-eu-starves-africa/

It's not difficult to find information regarding EU protectionism and the effect it has on the third world. A good start is the Common Agriculture Policy.
I have spent over 30 years of my life trading with African countries importing and exporting to and from the EU and the rest of the world. You argue for tariff free trade and then quote an article which without knowing it actually argues the opposite.

Jacko21

Nearly five years on since Hague's ill-fated attempt to unseat Bercow at the eleventh hour and the speaker remains a thorn in the side the Conservatives.

mancan92

Yes you are correct that Europe has a long history of taking from poor countries without giving back. The problem though is that Europe has also shown far more willingness than the UK to give back to former colonies.

Brexit isn't going to cause the Britian to reach out if you thought it would you would be very wrong. Xenophobia is literally the main reason this happened.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

:lol:

Rafaeldagold

Right now there are massive efforts to either overturn this result or have a 2nd referendum.

Every possible weapon in the parliamentary book is being deployed including recourse to the supreme court.

There were a million people marching in London on Saturday.

Would we be seeing anything like this if it had been 52-48 the other way? I don't thinks so.

Even if there was dissent over the result it would have been put soundly to bed with remainers crying losers consent from every quarter?

How long, in that situation, would Leavers have had to wait to have got another bite of the cherry?
Honestly I’m sick that my future will be worse off because of a slim majority of people voting for an idiotic decision.

However if the government had been sensible & thought ‘ hmm ok so it was a very close vote, so let’s implement a soft brexit’ Such as a Norway model etc I’m sure that would have gone easily through Parliament & even I begrudgingly would have accepted it.

But I don’t accept some far right hard brexit wet dream for their own benefit which will make this country & it’s people (including 48% of those who voted totally against this & just get ignored when they say ‘Will of the people’ ) much worse off in every possible way.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Honestly I’m sick that my future will be worse off because of a slim majority of people voting for an idiotic decision.

However if the government had been sensible & thought ‘ hmm ok so it was a very close vote, so let’s implement a soft brexit’ Such as a Norway model etc I’m sure that would have gone easily through Parliament & even I begrudgingly would have accepted it.

But I don’t accept some far right hard brexit wet dream for their own benefit which will make this country & it’s people (including 48% of those who voted totally against this & just get ignored when they say ‘Will of the people’ ) much worse off in every possible way.
Actually although logically it should have - i dont actually think it would have
the opposition would have opposed because its a conservative deal
to get the ERG onside they would have had to make the deal more brexity...

logically it would seem the best solution though

Honest John

Probably not. Any idea why that might be?
You can't have a referendum and say the winners haven't won. If they cheated you need to prove that to be so. If you can't then that is it. Or we just tear up the democratic rule book.

What if remain had won and the Government had said 'ahh it's only an indicative vote, remain told lies about an economical crash, its not legally binding so we think we'll leave anyway'?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
You can't have a referendum and say the winners haven't won. If they cheated you need to prove that to be so. If you can't then that is it. Or we just tear up the democratic rule book.

What if remain had won and the Government had said 'ahh it's only an indicative vote, remain told lies about an economical crash, its not legally binding so we think we'll leave anyway'?
Doesn’t answer my question but yeah good to know you have a low opinion of Remain people and think of a referendum that has a massive impact on people’s lives as a case of winners and losers.

Red_toad

That isn't possible as noboby who voted leave had the faintest idea what leave involved or meant, as it was never articulated. Part of the reason we are still deadlocked all this time and effort later.
Nobody knew what it meant? I did and I don’t even live in the uk anymore. Of course some people knew. It’s all in deadlock as the government never thought people would vote yes. Had Cameron and co wanted it, it would have happened a long time ago.

NinjaFletch

Nobody knew what it meant? I did and I don’t even live in the uk anymore. Of course some people knew. It’s all in deadlock as the government never thought people would vote yes. Had Cameron and co wanted it, it would have happened a long time ago.
What did it mean?

Rooney24

Enlighten us, what did it mean then ?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Right now there are massive efforts to either overturn this result or have a 2nd referendum.

Every possible weapon in the parliamentary book is being deployed including recourse to the supreme court.

There were a million people marching in London on Saturday.

Would we be seeing anything like this if it had been 52-48 the other way? I don't thinks so.

Even if there was dissent over the result it would have been put soundly to bed with remainers crying losers consent from every quarter?

How long, in that situation, would Leavers have had to wait to have got another bite of the cherry?
Tbf farage did say that he’d keep going until he got the result he wanted. It’s the biggest political decision of many people’s lives so it’s not unexpected that people will change their minds especially as they find out the full implications and lies away from the catchy sound bites

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Tbf farage did say that he’d keep going until he got the result he wanted. It’s the biggest political decision of many people’s lives so it’s not unexpected that people will change their minds especially as they find out the full implications and lies away from the catchy sound bites
I think farrage actually said if its 52%-48% then its not over by a long way ... so yeah I don't think they would have stopped

Honest John

Doesn’t answer my question but yeah good to know you have a low opinion of Remain people and think of a referendum that has a massive impact on people’s lives as a case of winners and losers.
Look I hate it as much as you and I too have skin in the game as far as my Company and it's staff are concerned. I wrote to my local MP detailing those concerns. However this has gone way too far. The precedents now being set (courts getting involved etc.) will have a lasting effect for your generation and beyond. I don't have a low opinion of Remain voters (I was one of them ffs). However, if you deploy the blunt instrument which is direct democracy then you have to implement the result if you ever envisage using that method to decide things again. In this case the softer the better but it has to be implemented in my view.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
As opposed to a snapshot or an average of snapshots (poll of polls), I meant the underlying trend the weeks leading up to the vote indicated growth in leave share.

Also, a difference of 4% between a poll and actual isn't a 'swing'; it is well within the margin of error.
Well, again, that is completely not true.

A poll of 1,000 people has a margin of error of +/- 3%, a poll of 2,000 people a margin of error of +/- 2%
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2011/11/21/understanding-margin-error

The "WhatTheUKThinks" poll of polls seems to have been made up of

a YouGov Poll - 3,766 people
an IpsosMori poll - 1,592 people
A populous poll - 4,700 people

etc

A 10k person poll would give us a margin of error of around 1%

What happened here is NON RANDOM ERROR. This is systemic error within the polls. This is why reports were published after the failure to predict the 2015 result even with exit polls, and better models were created.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But the wrong party were at least allowed to take office and given a chance to make their policies work.
But isn’t it something like 10+ years before the UK could reapply again (and maybe not get accepted after the way they’ve behaved). Also you’d have to pay out a shit load more money to get in

Massive Spanner

:lol: for feck sake man, all you can find me is an article from a pro-leave website?

Honest John

I think farrage actually said if its 52%-48% then its not over by a long way ... so yeah I don't think they would have stopped
They would have been seriously set back and there would not have been shed loads of MP's trawling parliamentary procedure to overturn it or a million marching in London. The result would have been largely accepted and Cameron would have succeeded in putting both the Scottish and EU questions to bed for a generation. Another referendum would have been a million miles away.