Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Interesting counter narrative to the themes prominent on Redcafe

Really interesting, only recently discovered Matthew Goodwin but like his analysis a lot. Thanks for sharing.
"They were asking for two entirely reasonable and legitimate things: for decisions that affect their country to be taken in their country, and for their government to have greater control over who comes in and out of the country. "

Someone probably should've explained to them that they already have those two things.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
"They were asking for two entirely reasonable and legitimate things: for decisions that affect their country to be taken in their country, and for their government to have greater control over who comes in and out of the country. "

Someone probably should've explained to them that they already have those two things.
The discussion has been done to death but David Cameron explains really well in his book why we didn't have control over who came in and out of the country.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I mean, we don't really. I am and was an ardent remainer, have an affinity for the EU and Europe in general and am very sad today. But we don't. We have more control than mainland Europe does but...we still don't.

Any one of hundreds of millions of Europeans can choose to move to the UK without applying for a visa and work here without any issues. I personally like that but I can see why some wouldn't. And it isn't accurate to say we have total control over who comes in with that system.

Of course, if you were to say they're being hypocritical when some of them dont want anyone to come in but they still want the same perks as they had previously and want to go to live/work in Spain without issue, then yes, they're idiots.

Classical Mechanic

Did you read the rest of it or did you stop there?

Both are not true though, freedom of movement is a real thing, yes we could kick out people that didn't get jobs if we made massive changes to the NI system but we did not have complete control immigration.

We can't circumvent the common agricultural policy, regulations on AI and countless other things for your other point.

Massive Spanner

Did you read the rest of it or did you stop there?

Both are not true though, freedom of movement is a real thing, yes we could kick out people that didn't get jobs if we made massive changes to the NI system but we did not have complete control immigration.

We can't circumvent the common agricultural policy, regulations on AI and countless other things for your other point.
Freedom of movement is a real thing but what does it even matter if immigration numbers won't drop, which they won't. You'll just get more non-EU immigrants instead of EU immigrants, which I'm sure is what those who voted leave wanted, right?

There are rules set by the EU that the UK must follow, sure, but you're still a self governed country. I imagine those leavers who "knew what they were doing" will be delighted when they realize that things will be much worse when left up to the Tories and not the EU.

Trying to paint Brexit as anything other than a travesty is what got your country into this silly mess in the first place. I feel sorry for anyone who did know what they were doing and voted to remain.

Fiskey

Freedom of movement is a real thing but what does it even matter if immigration numbers won't drop, which they won't. You'll just get more non-EU immigrants instead of EU immigrants, which I'm sure is what those who voted leave wanted, right?

There are rules set by the EU that the UK must follow, sure, but you're still a self governed country. I imagine those leavers who "knew what they were doing" will be delighted when they realize that things will be much worse when left up to the Tories and not the EU.

Trying to paint Brexit as anything other than a travesty is what got your country into this silly mess in the first place. I feel sorry for anyone who did know what they were doing and voted to remain.
If you ask British people "would you like a free movement of people zone between Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA and the UK" you get high 70% approval. The type of immigration does definitely matter to people.

Whether you think that's racist or not, it is a factor in play.

bleedred

I mean, its not really brexit today, is it?. Things continue the same till the end of the year, right?

Massive Spanner

If you ask British people "would you like a free movement of people zone between Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA and the UK" you get high 70% approval. The type of immigration does definitely matter to people.

You realize that since the referendum numbers from the EU have dropped and predominantly been replaced by people from India, Nigeria, and other developing countries, yes, not the ones you list above?

Like I said, I'm sure leavers will be absolutely delighted that German, Italian, Polish immigrants are replaced by Asians and Africans.

Fingeredmouse

I don't find it particularly to be a counter argument. I think that the conflation of societal issues in the UK with EU membership is precisely at the heart of the issue many remainers have with the Leave vote. I think people have long understood that Brexit votes wanted decisions made in their own country and to control immigration. The sovereignty and xenophobia angle would surely be the stock position of the caricatured remainers discussed within this article. When people say that they didn't know what they were voting for this is not what is meant and it seems a deliberately shallow reading to suggest otherwise. The extent to which we could control our immigration and make our own laws was generally not understood (few people on either side fully understand this) and the expectation that leaving the EU will address the concerns of people wishing for change is generally the position that remainers have attacked.

The argument that remain lost due to remainers being sneery and myopic and insulting is as shallow, unhelpfully divisive and vague an argument as that remain lost because leave voters are all easily manipulated racist idiots. It is, however, the current prevalent narrative and I look forward to years of commentators coming up with new angles to undermine and subvert the hot takes of previous articles for years to come.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You realize that since the referendum numbers from the EU have dropped and predominantly been replaced by people from India, Nigeria, and other developing countries, yes, not the ones you list above?

Like I said, I'm sure leavers will be absolutely delighted that German, Italian, Polish immigrants are replaced by Asians and Africans.
I think (with all due respect) that the problem with this view is that it creates a caricature out of millions of people and shoe-horns them into one viewpoint.

As I've said, I am incredibly saddened by this whole thing. Racism definitely played a part. But I feel you did not really read the article above and a lot of it actually does correspond with my own experience as well.

I know quite a lot of Asian Brits and Afro-caribbean Brits who voted to leave. I also obviously know some white British people who did likewise. They're not all frothing at the mouth racists and they don't mind immigration at all, as long as it benefits the country they live in.

So if the country needs an engineer or doctor or scientist or fruit picker or whatever. Then they can issue visas appropriately for that, across the world, not just to Europeans. That is the system these people have wanted when I've asked them about it.

Whether that is realistic (I think it patently is and find it difficult to see how anyone can argue otherwise) or racist (another argument for another thread) is another matter. But they're not all knuckle draggers who want to see only white faces. An argument that doesnt really make much sense anyway considering most of EU immigration is white.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't find it particularly to be a counter argument. I think that the conflation of societal issues in the UK with EU membership is precisely at the heart of the issue many remainers have with the Leave vote. I think people have long understood that Brexit votes wanted decisions made in their own country and to control immigration. The sovereignty and xenophobia angle would surely be the stock position of the caricatured remainers discussed within this article. When people say that they didn't know what they were voting for this is not what is meant and it seems a deliberately shallow reading to suggest otherwise. The extent to which we could control our immigration and make our own laws was generally not understood (few people on either side fully understand this) and the expectation that leaving the EU will address the concerns of people wishing for change is generally the position that remainers have attacked.

The argument that remain lost due to remainers being sneery and myopic and insulting is as shallow, unhelpfully divisive and vague an argument as that remain lost because leave voters are all easily manipulated racist idiots. It is, however, the current prevalent narrative and I look forward to years of commentators coming up with new angles to undermine and subvert the hot takes of previous articles for years to come.
I don't think that is necessarily why remain lost but I do find it a generally accurate representation. I say that as one of those sneery remainers who've spent the last 3 years dumbfounded at what people in this country have done and starting off by having a general air of superiority over these buffoons. This is an attitude very much consistent within my circles and very much on this board too.

The difference is that I've moved away from that, have tried to see the reasons why (beyond childishly simple analysis like 'Brits bad racists, Europeans and EU good guys), am not quite as ridiculously fatalistic as some are on here and am trying to look forward and hope for a better future for this country. I can do all this while still feeling sad about today, still thinking the vote was a bit silly and still wishing we were going to stay in the EU.

ManUArfa

One key industry that confounded Brexit gloom was the tech and AI industry which is going from strength to strength since the referendum.

https://sifted.eu/articles/uk-tech-startups-growth-asia/

https://www.itproportal.com/news/uk-smbs-plan-tech-spending-spree-after-brexit/

The feeling is that being free from the regulatory tentacles of the EU that the industry can build on its status as a world leader. Obviously this is a key industry for the future.

Agriculture is another industry that many feel has been hamstrung by the EU Common Agricultural policy. The new policies will be at the core of the UK's drive to become carbon neutral.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51128709

In a more general sense the IMF recently forecast the UK to have better growth than the EU average in the next few years if it avoids a no deal exit

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-20/brexit-international-monetary-fund-forecast-imf-britain-growth/

A survey by PWC among CEOs of global companies recently voted the UK as the world's 4th most important market in the near future.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...rexit-uncertainty-with-backing-of-global-ceos
Positive predictions not allowed. What about the sky falling in? Me, I predicted that there would be snowflakes...

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I mean, its not really brexit today, is it?. Things continue the same till the end of the year, right?
Ironically the Brexiters are getting what they claimed the EU was, abiding by EU rules, still paying into the pot and having no say whatsoever for the coming eleven months (at least) , and even more funny they're celebrating it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I actually feel pretty positive about today

I still think brexit is a monumental own goal but from tomorrow onwards the brexiteers have to own that

It might take 15 years but the rejoin movement starts tomorrow and we will still be able to rejoin long before we can get a high speed train from Leeds to London.

As people see their rights eroded yet beurorcay continue, and as they realise that immigration is falling because there are less opportunities and they themselves are stuck there will be a dawning reality that perhaps being in the EU wasn't so bad

Demigraphics, economic forecasts and the trend of globalisation makes it in my mind a matter of when not if we join the single market (if not the EU)... Perhaps 2 elections perhaps 3... I just hope farrage is around to see us rejoin

ManUArfa

More to do with those countries being English speaking and historically close you our own culture and values.

There are many other countries where English is spoken well, that we are (were) disadvantaged by being unable to make trade deals - various commonwealth and far east countries. I have no objections to skilled immigrants coming from these countries where gaps are identified.

I look forward to our new global trading outlook and look backwards at being a member of a protectionist bloc that did us very little favours, unless you count relieving us of our cash and our natural resources as a favour....

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I still think brexit is a monumental own goal but from tomorrow onwards the brexiteers have to own that
Do they? Or will they be able to keep doing what they've always done and blame the EU for their own failings? I mean it's not like the UK's media or opposition are actually going to hold them to account. How long before "the EU are to blame for the way they've treated us post-Brexit" becomes the new narrative?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Do they? Or will they be able to keep doing what they've always done and blame the EU for their own failings? I mean it's not like the UK's media or opposition are actually going to hold them to account. How long before "the EU are to blame for the way they've treated us post-Brexit" becomes the new narrative?
Perhaps for 3 to5 years or so... But then when the USA feck us on a deal... And china lines up to give us a raping after the penny will finally drop I think...

I think we are back before HS2 is built

Siorac

That article is basically a more eloquent way of saying "it was because of the immigrants". Some choice excerpts of it were particularly egregious, and somewhat ironic in an article railing against supposed lies.

Our leaving is the result of a collective decision, taken by a majority of its people, about the destiny of their national community — or what most consider to be their home.
Right away, this is not, strictly speaking, true: it wasn't a majority of the "national community" but a majority of those who turned up to vote that day. Not quite the same thing. But it's a minor quibble compared to some things to follow.

They were asking for two entirely reasonable and legitimate things: for decisions that affect their country to be taken in their country
See, this is the kind of thing that gets you labelled stupid. Because, frankly, a whole lot of decisions that affect a country will be taken outside the country. That's just how the world works now. The point of the EU is to make sure that those nations that MUST co-exist will not screw over each other with their decisions. That Germany cannot simply introduce a tariff that destroys, I don't know, Slovenia's export of tiny plastic cocks.

The idea of their home being governed by people whose attachments appeared to lie elsewhere — in distant and insufficiently democratic institutions — seemed alien to the very things Leavers associate with the nation.
The UK is not governed by the EU. That is simply a lie. Nothing more, nothing less. So that "idea" he's talking about here is simply fiction.

those who put their cross next to Leave shared a clear and coherent outlook.
Right, right, I'm sure. Does anyone really actually believe this? Unless that outlook really was just about "let's have fewer immigrants".

Remain asked people who had been priced out of their local housing markets, and who had been the most heavily exposed to economic shocks from globalisation, to walk to their local polling station and vote to stay in this dreary existence.
But this, this right here! This one is simply disgusting. There's really no other word for it. It subtly implies that all the above is the EU's fault and the only way to solve these problems, to end this "dreary existence" is to leave the EU. This is the crux of it: the UK's problems are someone else's fault! (This part also happens to contradict one of the first sentences of the article: "And this decision, contrary to the liberal view of citizens as autonomous individuals who are mainly driven by self-interest, was never rooted in transactional considerations about money." - apparently, it was after all.)

They wanted to regain their national independence
Again, they never lost it. Will the UK exit every single international agreement that puts any obligations on its participants? Or what does national independence mean then?

Leavers favour returning to an era when there was more economic equality and more working-class MPs.
I'm sure voting for the Conservative Party en masse will make that happen.

... one-in-three of Britain’s black and ethnic minority voters backed Brexit (...) many ethnic minority Leavers share the exact same grievances as their white counterparts. They felt that Britain was controlled by the EU, they worried about the EU overriding UK law, they felt anxious about immigration and believed that minority rights are better protected in Britain than in EU member states.
Again, a clever bit of fibbing. One in three sounds good - but it also means that two-thirds of black and ethnic minority voters backed Remain - apparently, the vast majority did not actually believe that minority rights are under threat if Britain remains in the EU. And then there's this bit from HIS OWN LINK: "White British were the most pro-Leave, followed by those of Indian background who were almost twice as likely to support Leave as other minority groups. There were much higher levels of support for Remain amongst Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Black Caribbean and Black African groups – on average a quarter being more pro-Leave than Remain."

None of this will stop the cultivation of further myths of course. Brexit, we are now told, is unleashing a wave of racism, even forcing members of the Royal Family to flee abroad. Yet prejudice in Britain continues to decline.
You just know that the link will point to a 2014 study (that is to say, it's pre-referendum) that begins with this:

The British, it seems, are becoming meaner and more inward looking: less willing to help the poor, more suspicious of immigrants and narrow in their interpretation of who counts as “truly British”.

All the study says is that racial prejudice declined compared to the 80s, based on measuring "social distance". Which has very little to do with Brexit potentially unleashing a new wave of racism but hey, who cares?

And, since voting for Brexit, the British people have, overall, become less concerned about immigration
Well, no fecking wonder: they are dreaming about sending home those dirty Poles, Romanians, Hungarians and so on. Some of them are probably dreaming about sending home the Pakistanis and such but of course those people will be disappointed, since that is not an EU issue.

In all, this article was very typical of the whole Brexit process.

Stactix

That article is basically a more eloquent way of saying "it was because of the immigrants". Some choice excerpts of it were particularly egregious, and somewhat ironic in an article railing against supposed lies.

Right away, this is not, strictly speaking, true: it wasn't a majority of the "national community" but a majority of those who turned up to vote that day. Not quite the same thing. But it's a minor quibble compared to some things to follow.

See, this is the kind of thing that gets you labelled stupid. Because, frankly, a whole lot of decisions that affect a country will be taken outside the country. That's just how the world works now. The point of the EU is to make sure that those nations that MUST co-exist will not screw over each other with their decisions. That Germany cannot simply introduce a tariff that destroys, I don't know, Slovenia's export of tiny plastic cocks.

The UK is not governed by the EU. That is simply a lie. Nothing more, nothing less. So that "idea" he's talking about here is simply fiction.

Right, right, I'm sure. Does anyone really actually believe this? Unless that outlook really was just about "let's have fewer immigrants".

But this, this right here! This one is simply disgusting. There's really no other word for it. It subtly implies that all the above is the EU's fault and the only way to solve these problems, to end this "dreary existence" is to leave the EU. This is the crux of it: the UK's problems are someone else's fault! (This part also happens to contradict one of the first sentences of the article: "And this decision, contrary to the liberal view of citizens as autonomous individuals who are mainly driven by self-interest, was never rooted in transactional considerations about money." - apparently, it was after all.)

Again, they never lost it. Will the UK exit every single international agreement that puts any obligations on its participants? Or what does national independence mean then?

Again, a clever bit of fibbing. One in three sounds good - but it also means that two-thirds of black and ethnic minority voters backed Remain - apparently, the vast majority did not actually believe that minority rights are under threat if Britain remains in the EU. And then there's this bit from HIS OWN LINK: "White British were the most pro-Leave, followed by those of Indian background who were almost twice as likely to support Leave as other minority groups. There were much higher levels of support for Remain amongst Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Black Caribbean and Black African groups – on average a quarter being more pro-Leave than Remain."

You just know that the link will point to a 2014 study (that is to say, it's pre-referendum) that begins with this:

The British, it seems, are becoming meaner and more inward looking: less willing to help the poor, more suspicious of immigrants and narrow in their interpretation of who counts as “truly British”.

All the study says is that racial prejudice declined compared to the 80s, based on measuring "social distance". Which has very little to do with Brexit potentially unleashing a new wave of racism but hey, who cares?

Well, no fecking wonder: they are dreaming about sending home those dirty Poles, Romanians, Hungarians and so on. Some of them are probably dreaming about sending home the Pakistanis and such but of course those people will be disappointed, since that is not an EU issue.

Thanks for breaking it down, needed doing. What a crock of shite that article was.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Demigraphics, economic forecasts and the trend of globalisation makes it in my mind a matter of when not if we join the single market (if not the EU)... Perhaps 2 elections perhaps 3... I just hope farrage is around to see us rejoin
Problem is, if we want to join again it won't be on the terms we've enjoyed for many years.

Classical Mechanic

Admittedly the survey on the decline of racial prejudice in the UK is a little old to satisfy but studies on racism by country continuely find that the UK is one of the least racist countries in Europe, including this one from the EU itself.

As an overall point, the likes of Matt Goodwin and Eric Kaufman make no bones about the fact that it's about globalisation and immigration, both Brexit and the national populism movement across the world. The key difference is that they perceive the specific issue to be about the pace of demographic change which causes social and cultural insecurity among the majority, rather than the base accusations of racism and so on that generally come from the left. Specific to the UK, this was compounded by the failure of pro-globalisation governments through Blair and Cameron to pay heed to the warnings of growing discontentment and do anything about it. The actual referendum was a bit of political happenstance with Cameron making a terrible judgement call and misreading the mood entirely.

Contrary to the common perception after the referendum, the biggest indicator that a constituency would vote leave was if it had experienced a higher level of demographic change in a short space of time. They refer to this as 'cultural displacement'. Working class communities tend to be the areas that receive the highest amount of immigrants and when the number is larger the immigrant groups tend towards their own homogeneous groups which creates 'parallel lives'. The indigenous community then feels fractured and 'displaced'. Tending towards homogeneous groups is quite natural. Eric Kaufman claims that research shows that even people who identify as socially liberal also tend towards racially homogeneous areas for living in and racially homogeneous relationships. In homogeneous communities people feel safe and reinforced, the cultural similarities make social intercourse easy. They argue that these dynamics have to be understood and managed; and that the left approach of moral grandstanding and/or 'kill it with fire' is entirely self defeating and divisive.

I do feel that your second and third points are shallow and disingenuous, are there any other supernational political or economic unions on this earth that involve ceding as many powers as members of the EU have to?

I think you are overreacting to the his point about what remainers were trying to sell, the remain campaign was asking people to vote for the status quo. It was an undeniably alienating to those feeling disenfranchised.

I'm not sure how he can frame his point about the 1 in 3 minority voters that voted Leave? I think his broader point that their voices went completely unheard in the narrative is a solid one.

Admittedly the study showing the decline of racial prejudice in the UK is too old to satisfy. There are countless other more recent studies that show the UK to be one of the least racially prejudice countries in Europe, including this one from the EU itself.

https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2018-being-black-in-the-eu_en.pdf

I think that they're both worth listening to as they have been predicting events like Trump, Brexit and Election 2019 for a long time. Their opinion is that the left in the UK just doesn't understand the dynamic it nor doesn't have the tools required to cope with it and as a result won't get into power anytime soon

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I actually feel pretty positive about today

It might take 15 years but the rejoin movement starts tomorrow and we will still be able to rejoin long before we can get a high speed train from Leeds to London.

As people see their rights eroded yet beurorcay continue, and as they realise that immigration is falling because there are less opportunities and they themselves are stuck there will be a dawning reality that perhaps being in the EU wasn't so bad

I really cannot see that happening.
By the time we realise that leaving has been a monumental own goal, assuming people are open minded enough to accept that, the EU will be different to that of today.

If Trump is voted in again, there is an increasing likelihood of increased trade wars with whoever he decides to pick on.

That could result in tariffs and barriers to international trade.
And against that background, having taken an isolationist position, it could take decades for our leaving to play out.

MoskvaRed

So 3 hours to go until the UK reorientates itself from big EU decision maker to supplicant at the court of King Donald and King Xi. Freedom indeed...

Fiskey

Yup... I can see (whatever is left of) the uk joining the single market (paying as much for access as we Do now only without a say ) in 10-15 years
I think it will go the other way. In five years time rejoin will only poll 20-25% and be a minority not much talked about position outside the lib Dems.

Fingeredmouse

fecking Bravo. Bravo.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Possibly an exercise in futility, but, for anyone out there who has a firm grasp of economics, trade policy, international relations, etc, can anyone explain what the potential upsides are to all this?

I think it's been fairly established by rather well informed individuals on what we have to lose because of Brexit, but does anyone have any thoughts on what could improve because of it? I'd like to think that there's at least a possibility that in the complexity of the situation that there's some things which conceivably could change for the better?
There was some random woman in the street who was happy we left because now we can be an island again. So that's nice.

Sweet Square

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/sajid-javid-abandons-pledge-end-21389005

Sajid Javid has been accused of abandoning his pre-election pledge to end austerity after he ordered ministers to identify savage cuts for departmental budgets. The Chancellor promised just months ago that no department would have to shrink their budgets in 2020. But today he wrote to cabinet ministers, asking them to draw up cuts of up to 5% of their spending plans.They’ve been told to go through their budgets “line by line” and be ready to justify any spending plans and projects they want to keep.In the note, Mr Javid wrote: “We have been elected with a clear fiscal mandate to keep control of day to day spending. “This means there will need to be savings made across government to free up money to invest in our priorities.”

But in Mr Javid’s spending round speech, just three months before the election, the Chancellor declared he had “turned the page on austerity.” Mr Javid said: "No department will be cut next year. Every single department has had its budget for day to day spending increased at least in line with inflation. "That's what I mean by the end of austerity."

Also quick tip, having an northern accent doesn't make you working class.