Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You've completely misunderstood what I've said, which I feel makes the sarcastic tone even more misplaced.

I'm saying that Australia and NZ have struck trade deals with a wide variety of countries, despite having significantly smaller economies and populations than most of those countries (I have in fact listed those countries with which Australia has a trade deal a couple of pages back, as an example of how they have clearly prioritised trade with 'local' countries, a very relative term for Australia).

Australia has the USA, Japan, Korea, China for instance. New Zealand HK, Malaysia, Thailand, China, Singapore, Chile. Amongst others, I've just plucked the deals for countries which have larger economies.
Fair enough I've misunderstood, but the way you worded it was pretty misleading and made it sound like you were discussing the deal between those two countries and not the deals those two countries had with other countries!

I also don't really agree. Australia is so different from the UK in terms of location, size, what it manufactures and trades, it's extremely difficult to try and make a reasoned comparison between the two. You can keep saying the UK is the 6th largest economy in the world all you want but the fact is we've no idea how much of that is based on their ties with the EU over the last 50 years. I don't think the UK will suddenly go from an economic powerhouse to nothingness but the effects will still be profound, trade deals with far away countries or not.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm not really sure I understand your point. What was on purpose or by omission?

My point is that because of stupid opinions put forward by those on the Brexit side, many of us on the other side have resorted to making at times similarly stupid arguments and becoming more entrenched in this never ending cycle of silliness where one side talks as if the UK is the promised land and everyone will be begging to get some marmite and cheddar and the other as if the UK is a backwater that's about to start firing up the coal mines, putting kids back in workhouses, destroying all worker's rights and flying around the world with a bowl begging for any and all trade deals available.

Of course, the reality, as sad as it still is for me, is not going to be either of these 2 extremes. And yes of course larger blocks have more power but that doesn't mean that smaller economies, especially ones which are still as large as the UK's, will be signing a lot of unfavourable trade deals.

And this has literally nothing to do with the UK. I'd be saying the same if it was France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Mexico, Canada or Israel.

I also appreciate that these hardened opinions come from the instrangience of many people who voted for Brexit.
The problem for me is that you are basically equating views that have been officially used by Ukip and Tory politicians with anecdotal points that may have been made on twitter or in a pub. That seems disingenuous.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Fair enough I've misunderstood, but the way you worded it was pretty misleading and made it sound like you were discussing the deal between those two countries and not the deals those two countries had with other countries!

I also don't really agree. Australia is so different from the UK in terms of location, size, what it manufactures and trades, it's extremely difficult to try and make a reasoned comparison between the two. You can keep saying the UK is the 6th largest economy in the world all you want but the fact is we've no idea how much of that is based on their ties with the EU over the last 50 years. I don't think the UK will suddenly go from an economic powerhouse to nothingness but the effects will still be profound, trade deals with far away countries or not.
Fair enough. It was worded slightly awkwardly, that's true.

I'm not trying to make a direct comparison and of course, countries adapt to their circumstances. Australia's economy is of course geared to take into account their distance from others and their vast mineral wealth etc as well, as well as being one of two English native language countries in the far East I guess. At some point, most likely in decades sadly, I imagine the UK economy will adapt to the shock of our decision too. My point is that it is possible to strike deals with larger blocs and countries without going as a beggar or selling off everything in the country. Canada managed it with the EU (as did Mexico). Israel managed it with Canada. NZ managed it with Japan. Australia managed it with USA. Etc etc.

I'm stating it because its a fact, not a dream I've told myself to make myself feel better. And the economy is so large that even if you start knocking off large chunks of GDP, it doesn't actually immediately make a huge difference to that ranking. Take off 10%, 7th. 20%, 7th. 30%, 8th. Even if you suddenly wiped off half of the UK's GDP overnight, it would still be the 14th largest economy in the world. [Yes I know that's not how economics work but you get my point].

It by no means that countries will be desperate to deal. It doesn't mean that it wasn't much better to stay in the EU (especially as I believe the EU will continue to sign many excellent trade deals as time goes on). But it does mean that the UK is still a country of 65 million people, with a very large economy.

I totally agree that the effects will be profound regardless of what deals we strike, especially in the short-medium term. Enough to make me consider returning to Australia for life.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The problem for me is that you are basically equating views that have been officially used by Ukip and Tory politicians with anecdotal points that may have been made on twitter or in a pub. That seems disingenuous.
How am I equating the two? I literally said that they are arguments made by people I know/ by some people on here. Just as I have said on here in the past some of the ridiculous arguments Brexiteers have said to me as well.

I never claimed that they were opinions put forward by prominent politicians or figures or that the views have similar impacts on the public discourse in the UK.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And the main point continues to be missed ad finitum - it's not signing deals with far distant countries that is going to help the UK or removing themselves from the customs union with the countries on their doorstep which they do 50% of their trade. Jesus wept!
Has anyone on this thread in the last few pages really missed this point?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
And the main point continues to be missed ad infinitum - it's not signing deals with far distant countries that is going to help the UK or removing themselves from the customs union with the countries on their doorstep which they do 50% of their trade. Jesus wept!
The Tory Trade Machine is gathering pace. They’re framing it as cold hard cash. Deals! Savings! Power! Sovereignty! Control!

There’s a reason why.

They don’t want anyone to focus on trading standards. That’s what will take a bigger hit. We may get lots of cheaper things. We may pay about the same.

But if anyone is brave enough to suggest that this craven mess of Tories is going to get the UK a better standard of products, flying solo... They’re monumentally stupid.

Post Brexit, environmental, animal welfare, consumer protections... they’re all going to be rolled back. The enrichment program will continue at pace.

They don’t give a Fcuk about people, because they make enough money to buy a better quality product. Working Class Britons simply won’t be able to.

Edit : Obviously the unstated point is that the EU protects people far better than the Tories will.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes because without having a free trade deal with the EU and not being in the CU with them basically means the UK is in deep trouble. A deal with Australia or Japan is going to make very little difference.
But nobody other than Maticmaker has been arguing about this particular point at all?

JPRouve

Scout
How am I equating the two? I literally said that they are arguments made by people I know/ by some people on here. Just as I have said on here in the past some of the ridiculous arguments Brexiteers have said to me as well.

I never claimed that they were opinions put forward by prominent politicians or figures or that the views have similar impacts on the public discourse in the UK.
You did in the bolded parts and it was also visible in your previous posts. When you take both positions that come from different contexts, one being official while the other is anecdotal, then in my opinion you are being disingenuous because you are blurring the lines. That's without even taking into account my previous point about deals where people rarely make the claim that the UK won't have any deals but argue agains the Brexit positions that claims that the UK will have far better deals and were handicapped by EU treaties, which was an official position for Brexit politicians.

My point is that because of stupid opinions put forward by those on the Brexit side, many of us on the other side have resorted to making at times similarly stupid arguments and becoming more entrenched in this never ending cycle of silliness where one side talks as if the UK is the promised land and everyone will be begging to get some marmite and cheddar and the other as if the UK is a backwater that's about to start firing up the coal mines, putting kids back in workhouses, destroying all worker's rights and flying around the world with a bowl begging for any and all trade deals available.

Of course, the reality, as sad as it still is for me, is not going to be either of these 2 extremes.
Edit: To be clear, on one side you have widely accepted brexit arguments and on the other side not widely accepted anti-brexit arguments.

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You did in the bolded parts and it was also visible in your previous posts. When you take both positions that come from different contexts, one being official while the other is anecdotal, then in my opinion you are being disingenuous because you are blurring the lines. That's without even taking into account my previous point about deals where people rarely make the claim that the UK won't have any deals but argue agains the Brexit positions that claims that the UK will have far better deals and were handicapped by EU treaties, which was an official position for Brexit politicians.
That isn't equating the two though, in a statement where equating the two is suggesting that random posters on this thread or Bob from work has as much impact as Farage. There are no blurred lines, I am responding solely to arguments made by people in my own life and on this thread, not Farage or JRM. That is a whole other matter and discussion.

And again, while people may not regularly claim the UK will not be able to make any deals at all, it is not a minority opinion that the UK will be getting screwed on any and all trade deals they're attempting to sign at the moment.

Which is the thing, I never once mentioned politicians in my posts. Perhaps my fault with clunky wording again. When I said brexiteers, I meant normal people, not politicians.

Of course the politician positions were despicable, especially as the EU signs more and more of these FTA itself.

Maticmaker

But nobody other than Maticmaker has been arguing about this particular point at all?
And even I haven't been arguing that!

PS. I think Paul could start an argument in an empty house, but he is consistent .... he sees things through the glass not only half empty, but completely empty viewpoint, he clear believes that the EU is so pi **ed off with the UK, it does not want to deal with the UK at all post Brexit, in fact until hell freezes over, if Paul had his way.

MoskvaRed

Similar arguments to the above have been said to me in real life (and I've read similar stuff on here, admittedly from the same 1 or 2 posters) over the years as well. As time has gone on, I've started to find them equally as annoying as the caricatured (but at times accurate) Brexit slogans of take back control or the world will be queueing up to deal with the UK on UK terms.

There are only 3 countries with economies which are hugely more significant than the UK's (and one bloc).

I think this is what I mean though. I don't think the UK will be in a better negotiating position than these other countries at all. But I also don't think that the UK produces nothing that these countries want/ all these other countries have such larger economies than the UK and therefore don't really think that the UK will be going, begging as some seem to think/want, to do trade deals with other countries. Not least because free movement, a big factor in what many Brexiteers were upset by (whether they acknowledge it or not) is not a factor in most FTAs signed around the world.

I look around at Australia and NZ for instance at their FTAs and who they've signed them with and certainly it seems these much smaller economies have managed to sign deals without their citizens worrying too much about the Malaysians or Japanese dominating them. Or Singapore for instance, which has managed it and with a very wide range of countries as well.

Of course, the question should be was leaving the EU worth it, even for these other potential deals? And I would always say absolutely not, for so so many reasons.

But then I feel like you've said I'm caricaturing what some say about the situation, only to then basically say exactly that (all deals will be with countries that either don't really want what the UK is offering or have significantly larger markets than in the UK).
That’s a balanced viewpoint but sadly you still end up (rightly) at the conclusion that the best case is essentially to minimise losses rather than improve on our former position as an EU member.

The two specific areas of concern I have are that: (1) the current UK government is already proven to be incompetent and is also simultaneously at war with the civil service and (2) many people in or associated with the current government have strong ideological ties to the US and might be only to willing to make concessions to bring us closer to the US model.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That’s a balanced viewpoint but sadly you still end up (rightly) at the conclusion that the best case is essentially to minimise losses rather than improve on our former position as an EU member.

The two specific areas of concern I have are that: (1) the current UK government is already proven to be incompetent and is also simultaneously at war with the civil service and (2) many people in or associated with the current government have strong ideological ties to the US and might be only to willing to make concessions to bring us closer to the US model.
Totally agree on all there. Any potential upsides to Brexit (and they are very very theoretical) could only be seen in literally decades from now imo. Until this potential hypothetical, we're just minimising the damage we've done from this ridiculous decision.

My main hope to your second point is that while some in the government may lean that way, the population at a whole is still a European one when it comes to general opinions towards leave, worker's rights and the environment etc. While we sadly lean more the American way than other European countries imo, I think it would probably be electoral suicide to start shifting us more in that direction.

Though perhaps they'd do it so slowly that people wouldn't notice/care, who knows? They've already done a lot of other terrible stuff.

Maticmaker

‘Covid makes Brexit make sense’ is such an insane viewpoint.
Its an insane world we live in...haven't you noticed?
Covid is a world wide 'event' and as one famous past UK PM remarked when asked what had shaped his policies " Events dear boy...Events'.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
And even I haven't been arguing that!

PS. I think Paul could start an argument in an empty house, but he is consistent .... he sees things through the glass not only half empty, but completely empty viewpoint, he clear believes that the EU is so pi **ed off with the UK, it does not want to deal with the UK at all post Brexit, in fact until hell freezes over, if Paul had his way.
We'll be alright because we're British and we've got the 5th biggest economy in the world, brave new world etc etc etc, we'll get deals with whoever, we've now got control etc etc etc.

It's nonsense, you've committed economic suicide and I don't see how you're going to get out of it. Not because I want the UK to suffer, I just don't see what the solution is

Would expect that the EU are happy in one way that the UK have left, but they would have preferred to continue the trade relationship in the same way.

But as I've said until next year I can't prove that I'm not exaggerating.

Paul the Wolf

The Tory Trade Machine is gathering pace. They’re framing it as cold hard cash. Deals! Savings! Power! Sovereignty! Control!

There’s a reason why.

They don’t want anyone to focus on trading standards. That’s what will take a bigger hit. We may get lots of cheaper things. We may pay about the same.

But if anyone is brave enough to suggest that this craven mess of Tories is going to get the UK a better standard of products, flying solo... They’re monumentally stupid.

Post Brexit, environmental, animal welfare, consumer protections... they’re all going to be rolled back. The enrichment program will continue at pace.

They don’t give a Fcuk about people, because they make enough money to buy a better quality product. Working Class Britons simply won’t be able to.

Edit : Obviously the unstated point is that the EU protects people far better than the Tories will.

There are so many things that are going to change, I've only touched on the trade aspect of it, and even then only scratched the surface, because I've spent most of my life dealing with international trade. It's scary how people just casually dismiss the problems the UK have brought upon themselves.

Maticmaker

We'll be alright because we're British and we've got the 5th biggest economy in the world, brave new world etc etc etc, we'll get deals with whoever, we've now got control etc etc etc.

It's nonsense, you've committed economic suicide and I don't see how you're going to get out of it. Not because I want the UK to suffer, I just don't see what the solution is

Would expect that the EU are happy in one way that the UK have left, but they would have preferred to continue the trade relationship in the same way.

But as I've said until next year I can't prove that I'm not exaggerating.
Having the 5th biggest economy counts for something, but its not the be all and end all; control over what and how we trade is however important, something we would never have achieved staying in a political union bent on establishing a United States of Europe. Had the UK joined the euro zone, well maybe things would have been different, but we will never know now!

One thing Paul you have always been right about is that the EU wont give us the same deal as we had as a member and hence anything we do get may well be worse, but in some areas it might be better (its OK I will go and wash my mouth out after that). However the EU wont get the same deal from us either, whilst on balance we may lose more than them, the risk is, and always has been, that we can make up for this, over time, with new trade deals struck elsewhere. Entering the old Common Market was also a gamble, so leaving it will be a gamble, but as I've said in an earlier post "the times they are a changing' and standing still, which is essentially what was happening to us and the EU is not an option.

With the reluctant UK gone, the EU will be able to move more quickly to its USE goal and we will have to forge new links, or revive old ones elsewhere. For both of us, the post Covid world, as well as the climate change implications will have major consequences for our respective economies. It may even be possible a new format of trading block might be established, without political interference, e.g. with Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales forming a new kind of UK block for trading purposes,; also the original eight EU countries reforming around the Treaty of Rome and the Southern European Countries forming a composite trading block based on tourism and specialist forms of Agriculture.

The honest truth is nobody knows, with Trump in the Whitehouse and China having its 50 year world trade domination plans rumbled, anything can happen and most likely will.

FireballXL5

Having the 5th biggest economy counts for something, but its not the be all and end all; control over what and how we trade is however important, something we would never have achieved staying in a political union bent on establishing a United States of Europe. Had the UK joined the euro zone, well maybe things would have been different, but we will never know now!

One thing Paul you have always been right about is that the EU wont give us the same deal as we had as a member and hence anything we do get may well be worse, but in some areas it might be better (its OK I will go and wash my mouth out after that). However the EU wont get the same deal from us either, whilst on balance we may lose more than them, the risk is, and always has been, that we can make up for this, over time, with new trade deals struck elsewhere. Entering the old Common Market was also a gamble, so leaving it will be a gamble, but as I've said in an earlier post "the times they are a changing' and standing still, which is essentially what was happening to us and the EU is not an option.

With the reluctant UK gone, the EU will be able to move more quickly to its USE goal and we will have to forge new links, or revive old ones elsewhere. For both of us, the post Covid world, as well as the climate change implications will have major consequences for our respective economies. It may even be possible a new format of trading block might be established, without political interference, e.g. with Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales forming a new kind of UK block for trading purposes,; also the original eight EU countries reforming around the Treaty of Rome and the Southern European Countries forming a composite trading block based on tourism and specialist forms of Agriculture.

The honest truth is nobody knows, with Trump in the Whitehouse and China having its 50 year world trade domination plans rumbled, anything can happen and most likely will.
Seriously? I take it you mean Northern Ireland, or are you planning on taking back control of the Republic? Delusional bollocks anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
If being the 5th biggest economy counted for anything brexiteers wouldn't complain about having to sit around a table with 27 other countries and find common grounds, after all the UK were the second biggest market in that group.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Seriously? I take it you mean Northern Ireland, or are you planning on taking back control of the Republic? Delusional bollocks anyway.
Well to be fair, Take Back Control actually makes more sense if it means trying to take back control of former Empire countries. It's probably what most Brexiteers want anyway.

MoskvaRed

Nothing new. It’s standard Brexiteer discourse to dream up fanciful future scenarios as the short to medium term reality looks so rocky. Even if you think the EU might break up in the future, why be the guinea pig and walk out on the other 27 in a time of such uncertainty? It’s like having kids and a mortgage and then telling your boss to eff off without having a new job lined up.

Paul the Wolf

The old Common market and now the EU with more members, which was the intention, is basically the same principle as it was back in the 50s 60s and 70s. FoM has always existed but the way the British media fool the people as if it's something new, the USE is a another scaremongering tactic, an EU army, anonymous EU bureaucrats telling everyone what to do. Dr Goebbels, I mean Dominic Cummings did a very good job, mention immigants, British sense of superiority and the British public are easy meat.
Worked for getting Johnson elected too. Remember we were told Brexit was supposed to be a protest vote against the government , they protested so much they gave the government an even bigger majority.

Entering the EC (EEC for the sake of Edward Heath) was a saviour for the UK, and they'd been desperately trying to join for years, you know that.

Another false impression given to the British public is trading with other nations, it's presented as if there is virtually no trade with other countries outside the EU . The UK 's biggest trading partner is already the USA, the UK will be struggling to sell as much as they did pre-Brexit, nevermind sell more .

It's highly unlikely the percentages of trade will vary that much from next year onwards. The Uk will still sell around 40-50% of its exports to the EU and will import around 60% of it's needs from the EU.
The only difference being, it will be more expensive, more difficult, more delays, more work and more hassle.

FTA's and CU's are to make trading more easy, remove barriers and reduce costs, the UK have torn them all up and are having to start again, eventually getting back to where they were in 'x' years time.
Every country's economy is based on their needs and adaptation to their geographical position.. The UK, whether they like it or not, are off the coast of continental Europe.

By the time the UK leave the transition period Trump may or not be in the White House, but which one is best for the UK? Trump or whoever is POTUS will be looking after the USA no-one else. China have been a thorn for many years and have a lot of experience dealing with them.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
@Maticmaker

Do you not think that impacting trade with by far our closest neighbour and biggest trading partner (as well as a bloc that is likely to remain one of the 3 biggest markets in the world for the foreseeable future, regardless of what else happens) for the only theoretical potential upsides of trade deals with countries which are far away and more difficult ultimately to import and export from, seems like a decision which is taking a huge risk for an only very theoretical (and long long term) gain?

Especially as, with time going on, the EU is itself in negotiations with more and more trade blocs itself anyway (ie Mercosur)?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Some Brexiteers talk as if the UK is a country all others will be lining up to do trade deals with under any circumstances and, on the flip side, some others, especially on here, talk as if the UK, with the world's 6th largest economy, is essentially Afghanistan.

The point for me is that I love the EU, what it represents and the opportunities it offers to so many people, including in the UK. But that doesn't mean that, as sad as I'll be to leave, the UK won't be able to sign other trade deals or will get shafted on every one. Lots of countries sign trade deals with countries and blocs far larger than them (Australia and NZ for instance) without handing over the keys to their countries or bending over non-stop.
I think what that point is kind of ignoring is that the pressure to strike a deal will be quite asymmetrical. Like usually (developed) countries have arrived at their status quo by a gradual development towards some equilibrium. New trade deals are somewhat optional: you'd rather have them, but if you don't like what's on the table you can always take a step back and just keep going on as before, countries take their sweet time and secrecy before they reach an agreement, even if it's built on an already existing relationships. I mean look at TTIP for example, something like that has been discussed for thirty years, at first glance one would assume to be an absolute no-brainer to get an agreement done, yet here we are in 2020 without it.
Now imagine post-Brexit UK entering the stage, trying to start from scratch, possibly with a recession on their backs and trade being a stick for Labour to beat the Tories with. Do you see them negotiating patiently?

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think what that point is kind of ignoring is that the pressure to strike a deal will be quite asymmetrical. Like usually (developed) countries have arrived at their status quo by a gradual development towards some equilibrium. New trade deals are somewhat optional: you'd rather have them, but if you don't like what's on the table you can always take a step back and just keep going on as before, countries take their sweet time and secrecy before they reach an agreement, even if it's built on an already existing relationships. I mean look at TTIP for example, something like that has been discussed for thirty years, at first glance one would assume to be an absolute no-brainer to get an agreement done, yet here we are in 2020 without it.
Now imagine post-Brexit UK entering the stage, trying to start from scratch, possibly with a recession on their backs and trade being a stick for Labour to beat the Tories with. Do you see them negotiating patiently?
Yes it will be an asymmetrical pressure but I don't see that this means the UK will just sign whatever it is offered. Nor is it unusual for trade talks to hit snags and be protracted, this is totally normal.

And yes, I agree that Brexit makes this a totally unique situation.

TTIP is not a no brainer at all. While they may appear roughly similar, the cultures in the EU and USA, work practices etc are vastly different. That is an incredibly difficult deal to pass and always has been imo, not just on the American side, when you get idiots like Trump popping up but also on the EU side, with 28 states and different aims and red lines in the negotiations.

The UK will almost certainly be in recession, with Covid and Brexit double hits. Of course, almost the entirety of the global economy will retract this year though so its not exactly a unique situation.

And to clarify, so you are saying the UK will end up getting shafted by all (or most) when negotiating its deals?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@africanspur

Because of the dynamic mentioned above I expect most countries to try and take their bite rather than offer the UK favourable terms. But I'm no expert in international trade, so I won't pretend to be certain or able to quantify how far the UK might be exploitable.

Maticmaker

@Maticmaker

Do you not think that impacting trade with by far our closest neighbour and biggest trading partner (as well as a bloc that is likely to remain one of the 3 biggest markets in the world for the foreseeable future, regardless of what else happens) for the only theoretical potential upsides of trade deals with countries which are far away and more difficult ultimately to import and export from, seems like a decision which is taking a huge risk for an only very theoretical (and long long term) gain?

Especially as, with time going on, the EU is itself in negotiations with more and more trade blocs itself anyway (ie Mercosur)?
I did originally, but now I don't.
I was never a 'full blown' Brexiteer, my objections to the EU was the political side not the trade issues. The final straw (so to speak) was when we didn't become part of the euro-zone, hence if and when the EU did move closer to a federal situation as United States of Europe, we would have been forced to ditch the £ and accept the Euro, under pressure, which is never a good place to be when changing your currency, or alternatively take a back seat in division 2 of the EU.

We have always been, in political terms, an 'awkward squad' member of the EU, whether this 'un-ease' within the EU stemmed from our colonial past, or as it now seems to be presented as 'white privilege' I don't know, or whether maybe playing second fiddle to Germany after two wars in the last century was a factor, I honestly don't know. As Paul (the Wolf) points out the UK was grateful to join the EEC, but it was always a 'bad fit'. Contrary to what many people (in the Caf) think, we in the UK don't think everybody loves us, just the opposite, we know at least half the of the world (practically) hates us as 'the British', and when it comes to hating Englishness, then within the UK a lot of Irish, Scots and Welsh people don't like us either.

As I've mentioned previously we will not enjoy the same status with EU as when we were a member and for that reason I always did believe we either stayed, or left immediately without a deal, because in truth as we have been told endlessly by the EU they could not negotiate with us whilst we were still a member. Theresa May made a complete hash of it, because in reality she didn't want to leave, but felt she had to follow the 'will of the people'. Her famous (or should it be infamous) statement about "No deal being better than a bad deal" just made it worse,.

I was always sceptical that we would not suffer in trade terms initially on leaving the EU, but optimistic it would come right in the end. What has change my view is that in the post Covid world and the growing importance (realisation) of the impact of climate change (ref recent Met Office report) means there has to be a new norm, and the EU moves far too slowly in such situations, its not built for speed or transient movements, only for steady state operations, it will flounder. We will be lighter and more flexible and can respond better on our own to many issues that directly affect us. Preventing climate change is not an option now, surviving it is now what matters, and as an island we have different needs to a large land mass.

Hence in my opinion Brexit was not done for the right reasons, but it may well turn out to be for the best!

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I did originally, but now I don't.
I was never a 'full blown' Brexiteer, my objections to the EU was the political side not the trade issues. The final straw (so to speak) was when we didn't become part of the euro-zone, hence if and when the EU did move closer to a federal situation as United States of Europe, we would have been forced to ditch the £ and accept the Euro, under pressure, which is never a good place to be when changing your currency, or alternatively take a back seat in division 2 of the EU.

We have always been, in political terms, an 'awkward squad' member of the EU, whether this 'un-ease' within the EU stemmed from our colonial past, or as it now seems to be presented as 'white privilege' I don't know, or whether maybe playing second fiddle to Germany after two wars in the last century was a factor, I honestly don't know. As Paul (the Wolf) points out the UK was grateful to join the EEC, but it was always a 'bad fit'. Contrary to what many people (in the Caf) think, we in the UK don't think everybody loves us, just the opposite, we know at least half the of the world (practically) hates us as 'the British', and when it comes to hating Englishness, then within the UK a lot of Irish, Scots and Welsh people don't like us either.

As I've mentioned previously we will not enjoy the same status with EU as when we were a member and for that reason I always did believe we either stayed, or left immediately without a deal, because in truth as we have been told endlessly by the EU they could not negotiate with us whilst we were still a member. Theresa May made a complete hash of it, because in reality she didn't want to leave, but felt she had to follow the 'will of the people'. Her famous (or should it be infamous) statement about "No deal being better than a bad deal" just made it worse,.

I was always sceptical that we would not suffer in trade terms initially on leaving the EU, but optimistic it would come right in the end. What has change my view is that in the post Covid world and the growing importance (realisation) of the impact of climate change (ref recent Met Office report) means there has to be a new norm, and the EU moves far too slowly in such situations, its not built for speed or transient movements, only for steady state operations, it will flounder. We will be lighter and more flexible and can respond better on our own to many issues that directly affect us. Preventing climate change is not an option now, surviving it is now what matters, and as an island we have different needs to a large land mass.

Hence in my opinion Brexit was not done for the right reasons, but it may well turn out to be for the best!
Flexibility in taking decision is probably a good reason for brexit, but flexibility on climate change? is not that Brittain has its own climate change and europe has its own climate change and US has its own climate change. Is not that whatever Brittain do will only affect Brittain and doesn't need to worry about what the EU will do in climate change. Isn't better to get a unified response as a global block the biggest possible the better? It wasn't better for Brittain to have voice and influence (and it had a lot) in a bigger party (and not only in climate change), than being subedited to what EU does anyway because of the so called Brussels Effect without that voice and influence being heard?

Maticmaker

Flexibility in taking decision is probably a good reason for brexit, but flexibility on climate change? is not that Brittain has its own climate change and europe has its own climate change and US has its own climate change. Is not that whatever Brittain do will only affect Brittain and doesn't need to worry about what the EU will do in climate change. Isn't better to get a unified response as a global block the biggest possible the better? It wasn't better for Brittain to have voice and influence (and it had a lot) in a bigger party (and not only in climate change), than being subedited to what EU does anyway because of the so called Brussels Effect without that voice and influence being heard?
I am referring to how we deal with the effects of climate change, not stopping it, its too late for that and as we've seen already the world is unable to respond in concert.

We will have to deal, on our own, as an island, with many specific aspects effecting the British Isles; flooding issues, run-off channels, protection from contamination, with soil erosion concerns, windspeed factors, crop failure, water conservation and distribution, tidal surges, peak-bog fires, use of existing waterways, reopen or build new ones, management of genetic crops, use of pesticides, building in natural fire breaks to protect valuable arable land, manage the water table changes in specific areas. Dredging waterways, creating dams were necessary to produce a national water grid (similar to the electrical power grid) and lots of other things we haven't yet thought about

There are numerous defensive/protective changes to be made, requiring life changing decisions to be made, those that can only be made by the people who inhabit these islands, not by a committee in Brussels.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

I am referring to to how we deal with the effects of climate change, not stopping it, its too late for that and as we've seen already the world is unable to respond in concert.

We will have to deal, on our own, as an island, with many specific aspects effecting the British Isles; flooding issues, run-off channels, protection from contamination, with soil erosion concerns, windspeed factors, crop failure, water conservation and distribution, tidal surges, peak-bog fires, use of existing waterways, reopen or build new ones, management of genetic crops, use of pesticides, building in natural fire breaks to protect valuable arable land, manage the water table changes in specific areas. Dredging waterways, creating dams were necessary to produce a national water grid (similar to the electrical power grid) and lots of other things we haven't yet thought about

There are numerous defensive/protective changes to be made, requiring life changing decisions to be made, those that can only be made by the people who inhabit these islands, not by a committee in Brussels.
Do you actually believe this?

I mean, sure, that sounds great in theory. But how can you honestly place your faith in the right wing goons who have cheerled Brexit to actually bring in better environmental protections and laws rather than use it as an excuse to have a bonfire of the laws they've spent the best part of a decade moaning about?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What's the general opinion on CANZUK? Is it doable? Trade wise it doesn't seem like it'd help the UK much but it'd benefit a lot of people in Canada, Australia, New Zealand & the UK with regards to freedom of movement.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Do you actually believe this?

I mean, sure, that sounds great in theory. But how can you honestly place your faith in the right wing goons who have cheerled Brexit to actually bring in better environmental protections and laws rather than use it as an excuse to have a bonfire of the laws they've spent the best part of a decade moaning about?
Aren’t most EU laws regarding these things floors rather than ceilings? Like the laws regarding cleaning beaches, etc. Or am I thinking of something different?

Don't Kill Bill

Australia and NZ is a pretty weird example too. I mean, they're right beside each other, and completely isolated from most other countries. Obviously they'll strike favourable trade deals. They're also probably one of the closest examples in the world to the Uk and Ireland relationship (minus the land border) and instead of trying to completely bollock that up in recent years, Australia have tried to integrate it even further (e.g. both countries closing borders except to each other during COVID-19).

It's almost as if... the best trade deals to make... are with the countries closest to you. How quaint.
The best trade deals to make are the ones you gain/ net most money from. Market scale is important but the west's trade with China shows that in the end what matters is net value of goods and services.

EU market accounts for 15% of UK GDP but we lose 65-70 billion on that trade. So we have a few billion to sweeten the pot with our new trade partners. After close to 50 years inside the EU it might be we have to leave to change that equation as I don't see anyway of changing it from within. Its a massive risk I wasn't willing to vote to take the chance but now its happened we have to make the best of it.

Isn't Ireland is fecked with no deal anyway?

NinjaFletch

Aren’t most EU laws regarding these things floors rather than ceilings? Like the laws regarding cleaning beaches, etc. Or am I thinking of something different?
Yes, but you have to ask yourself why you'd think a government hell bent on ripping out the floor would build a new ceiling

JPRouve

Scout
Do people actually believe the Ricardian theories about balance of trade? Disclaimer, it's a fallacy and to make it simple since countries have specialized their productions you will have a multitude of surplusses and deficits, you want the overall to be balanced but you will rarely have a balance of trades between each countries/markets.