Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
They haven't tried putting the salaries up and seeing what the response is, you're just guessing. Higher salaries is the reason my company is 90% full of non eu nationals
My point is that if you put the salaries up for one, you have to put them up for all. If the cleaner was earning £10/h and is now earning £20/h , the girl typing the invoices was on £15/h and therefore now wants £30/h and so on up the chain. I've no objection to people being paid better, just they are aware of the consequences.

This is what it's about, actions and consequences; that's what this thread is about.

finneh

But you or them could have done this before. And when the dust settles the cleaner is still going to earn less than the sales manager and the sales manager is still going to earn less than the director and so on and in the meantime the price of the goods has gone up so with inflation you're back to where you started.
We couldn't have done it before unless every single manufacturer of our product sat around a table and agreed to up their prices and pay staff more. Even if this did happen we would then have to trust that they'd actually increased their prices and not used said meeting as a tactic to continue charging the same price and undercut everyone else.

Fundamentally it's the market that decides what an unskilled labourer is worth. If there's far more jobs than labourers the wage increases, if the opposite is true wages decrease.

The market in the UK has changed from the latter scenario to the former. In terms of inflation cancelling out wage increases I don't think that's completely true. Of course prices will go up but wages will increase faster if there are more jobs than workers.

It also isn't happening across the board as skilled office worker salaries haven't changed as there aren't more jobs than people in this area (in my business anyway).

Paul the Wolf

We couldn't have done it before unless every single manufacturer of our product sat around a table and agreed to up their prices and pay staff more. Even if this did happen we would then have to trust that they'd actually increased their prices and not used said meeting as a tactic to continue charging the same price and undercut everyone else.

Fundamentally it's the market that decides what an unskilled labourer is worth. If there's far more jobs than labourers the wage increases, if the opposite is true wages decrease.

The market in the UK has changed from the latter scenario to the former. In terms of inflation cancelling out wage increases I don't think that's completely true. Of course prices will go up but wages will increase faster if there are more jobs than workers.

It also isn't happening across the board as skilled office worker salaries haven't changed as there aren't more jobs than people in this area (in my business anyway).
I don't disagree with most of what you say, but it's equally true here, there are shortages of workers but it hasn't come to the point where services are disrupted.

finneh

I don't disagree with most of what you say, but it's equally true here, there are shortages of workers but it hasn't come to the point where services are disrupted.
I'm guessing you're referring to lorry drivers? I'd be interested to know the backlog of driver tests in other countries. It seems in the UK they basically haven't been testing drivers for 18 months meaning there is a backlog of several dozen thousand (I was told the backlog of tests was 15 times greater than the volume of drivers that left the UK).

A simple solution would be to allow someone with a normal driver's licence to be able to drive 7.5 & 10T vehicles (as they used to be able to). Also ideally cancel the CPC requirement.

Drifter

American
The real problem is where were these young up and coming British workers that would fill these gaps, same goes for the construction industry.

Paul the Wolf

I'm guessing you're referring to lorry drivers? I'd be interested to know the backlog of driver tests in other countries. It seems in the UK they basically haven't been testing drivers for 18 months meaning there is a backlog of several dozen thousand (I was told the backlog of tests was 15 times greater than the volume of drivers that left the UK).

A simple solution would be to allow someone with a normal driver's licence to be able to drive 7.5 & 10T vehicles (as they used to be able to). Also ideally cancel the CPC requirement.
Not just the lorry drivers, from the start of the food process right through the chain.
Why would there be delays in the UK and not any other country.
Regardng lorries /licences the Uk can do what they like except those licences wouldn't be acceptable outside the UK.
Why did all these people leave the Uk? There are no problems with HGV deliveries or light van deliveries here despite having similar shortages to the UK pre-Brexit. You can see all EU nations' lorries on the roads except one ex-member who you used to see all the time, not now.

finneh

Not just the lorry drivers, from the start of the food process right through the chain.
Why would there be delays in the UK and not any other country.
Regardng lorries /licences the Uk can do what they like except those licences wouldn't be acceptable outside the UK.
Why did all these people leave the Uk? There are no problems with HGV deliveries or light van deliveries here despite having similar shortages to the UK pre-Brexit. You can see all EU nations' lorries on the roads except one ex-member who you used to see all the time, not now.
As I said I'm unsure what other countries have done from a testing point of view. If EU countries were smart and continued testing then I'd imagine they wouldn't have the same problem.

We have several staff who want to become lorry drivers (not surprising given the £6k salary bump they would get) but we simply can't get them tested.

I'm guessing a key reason people left the UK was they didn't want to be stuck in a foreign country unable to see loved ones due to various lockdowns and travel bans. As I said though I believe those that left only account for a tiny fraction compared with those waiting to be tested.

Paul the Wolf

As I said I'm unsure what other countries have done from a testing point of view. If EU countries were smart and continued testing then I'd imagine they wouldn't have the same problem.

We have several staff who want to become lorry drivers (not surprising given the £6k salary bump they would get) but we simply can't get them tested.

I'm guessing a key reason people left the UK was they didn't want to be stuck in a foreign country unable to see loved ones due to various lockdowns and travel bans. As I said though I believe those that left only account for a tiny fraction compared with those waiting to be tested.
But if they were international lorry drivers the trade hardly stopped and those who left are no doubt filling vacancies in the EU driving lorries all round the EU.
The people driving big artics, tankers or dangerous goods are not going to be people who have just passed their test either, nevermind getting insurance.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What? We're talking about the crap jobs , not highly qualified jobs but then you go on about speaking English which in the same sentence you admit they don't need to speak English.

I'm not in a huff, I'm so amazed and can't stop laughing at the mental contortions people do.
Yes why would EU workers return to Britain, before the pay and conditions were supposed to be crap , now they're wonderful and British people are so welcoming or perhaps they want an in depth conversation in English with a carrot they are picking whereas they couldn't understand what the french carrot was saying.
Yes we are talking about the crap jobs but I was talking about immigration as a whole for the English point. I didn't 'go on' about speaking English, I mentioned it in passing about general immigration to the UK. Clearly language doesn't matter if we're talking solely about truck drivers or fruit pickers.

You are in a huff. With respect, you have more than double the posts on this particular thread than anyone else and it accounts for about half your total posts. A significant portion of that seems to be spent arguing with people who voted remain but don't agree with every single little thing you say or getting into a huff again about how apparently everyone, including remainers, are constantly changing the parameters.

If it will make you feel better, yes brexit is clearly a cluster feck and yes it's clearly having a massive impact on trucking and haulage into the UK.

As classical mechanic said, it looks like the government will probably change the rules soon so we'll see. I agree with jprouve that many still won't want to take it up because of the faff in the whole process of crossing the border now.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I won't do it to myself because I'm sure it will boil my blood but would be interested to see what the opinions are like on the spurs forum I used to post on.

Full of Southern Tories, many of whom voted for brexit and were ideologically inclined towards it, rather than just a passing vote. I wonder what they're saying now. Probably somehow blaming Brussels for it all.

Paul the Wolf

Yes we are talking about the crap jobs but I was talking about immigration as a whole for the English point. I didn't 'go on' about speaking English, I mentioned it in passing about general immigration to the UK. Clearly language doesn't matter if we're talking solely about truck drivers or fruit pickers.

You are in a huff. With respect, you have more than double the posts on this particular thread than anyone else and it accounts for about half your total posts. A significant portion of that seems to be spent arguing with people who voted remain but don't agree with every single little thing you say or getting into a huff again about how apparently everyone, including remainers, are constantly changing the parameters.

If it will make you feel better, yes brexit is clearly a cluster feck and yes it's clearly having a massive impact on trucking and haulage into the UK.

As classical mechanic said, it looks like the government will probably change the rules soon so we'll see. I agree with jprouve that many still won't want to take it up because of the faff in the whole process of crossing the border now.
Am I upsetting you or something? No I'm not in a huff, I should be in camera with a big smile on my face. Do you determine which threads I post in, I post in threads where the subject interests me - why shouldn't I disagree with remainers, they can talk nonsense too. I can disagree with Labour and Tories as I don't support either. Labour thinking they can rejoin and pretending Corbyn and Starmer didn't want Brexit is also delusional.

At this particular time we are not talking about general immigration, and no-one mentioned speaking English apart from you.

finneh

But if they were international lorry drivers the trade hardly stopped and those who left are no doubt filling vacancies in the EU driving lorries all round the EU.
The people driving big artics, tankers or dangerous goods are not going to be people who have just passed their test either, nevermind getting insurance.
The people who have just passed tend to drive the 7.5 and 10T vehicles. Those drivers then get "promoted" into the 18T vehicles and those drivers move into the artics is how it tends to work from my experience. So if 70,000 drivers passed the test tomorrow you'd see 70,000 more experienced drivers currently in smaller vehicles moving into larger ones.

After what happened at Christmas where many lorry drivers didn't get back to their families due to the border restrictions I certainly wouldn't want to cross borders as a driver at the moment. Not when there are plenty of vacancies domestically across Europe.

In fairness this applies to British drivers as well. We are able to find HGV drivers for £13 per hour because they leave at 6am and return back at 2-3pm every day; they're delivering within England only and the loads are relatively simple with repeat customers who are happy to put the kettle on etc when they are being offloaded.

Compare this to drivers who go overseas, sleep in the cab and only get back to their families sporadically and the salary at the moment is near twice what we pay.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Cost higher fair enough, thats justifiable. Queuing for ages at the petrol pump will also raise prices, take public transport ffs. There is always a solution.
Interesting reading this thread, I don't tend to comment in them as it'd just a bickering competition.

But the bit in bold made chuckle, have you used public transport in the UK? It's not THAT bad if you live in a major city, but for instance last night, my girlfriend finished work in Cardiff (capital of Wales) and tried to get a train home to Bridgend at 11:30, they unexpectedly cancelled a train and she'd have to catch one at 12:50am.

Now, me being the boyfriend, not wanting her to stay on her own on a Friday night full of drunkards and god knows who/what else, decided to make an hour round trip to pick her up.

If the UK had any sort of reliable public transport I'm sure a lot more people would use it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yet another climb down by the government. Can't call it embarrassing because they are too thick to be embarrassed.
I really do hope that none of the 5,000 truck drivers that they are trying to entice take up the offer of a temporary visa to come here and work.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Interesting reading this thread, I don't tend to comment in them as it'd just a bickering competition.

But the bit in bold made chuckle, have you used public transport in the UK? It's not THAT bad if you live in a major city, but for instance last night, my girlfriend finished work in Cardiff (capital of Wales) and tried to get a train home to Bridgend at 11:30, they unexpectedly cancelled a train and she'd have to catch one at 12:50am.

Now, me being the boyfriend, not wanting her to stay on her own on a Friday night full of drunkards and god knows who/what else, decided to make an hour round trip to pick her up.

If the UK had any sort of reliable public transport I'm sure a lot more people would use it.
We get it, you have a girlfriend.:rolleyes:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

Good or bad it's still an alternative, what will you achieve by queueing for hours only to find out next week there is no petrol? The prblem with this thread is people are bringing problems without solutions, what also narks me is that ONLY the UK has shortages of personell. the article above about shortage of nurses, it's impossible to hire nurses in NL the pandemic has put an end to the attraction of becoming a nurse. It's not a UK only disease, there are shortages everywhere with all sorts of things.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
We get it, you have a girlfriend.:rolleyes:
:lol:

@Stanley Road I agree about people being idiots for panick buying, but public transport in the UK should improve vastly before we start saying that more people should use it, though I do agree that more people should use public transport in general, but the cost of it and the unreliability of it in the UK makes it necessary to have a car, and once you have a car, it's hard to go back to waiting hours for a train, having to adjust your schedule to fit an unreliable network of trains and busses.

Also, priced up a train ticket to London the other day - £65 for a return, again, I have a girlfriend @JPRouve so that's £130, instantly makes it cheaper and more convenient to drive.

Not sure on the point I'm trying to make to be honest, so you may go about your day without replying if you want. :lol:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
@Stanley Road I agree about people being idiots for panick buying, but public transport in the UK should improve vastly before we start saying that more people should use it, though I do agree that more people should use public transport in general, but the cost of it and the unreliability of it in the UK makes it necessary to have a car, and once you have a car, it's hard to go back to waiting hours for a train, having to adjust your schedule to fit an unreliable network of trains and busses
I agree public transport in the UK is shit and way overpriced, ours is amazing except for last week. All trains in Holland cancelled for tech reasons, tram and bus home. The benefit here is most or all companies pay for your travel. It was a scheme devised years ago by the government to get country bumkins back to work, most of the work is in the west of Holland.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There are supposedly a million vacancies in the UK for low paid unskilled jobs, you can see the hordes of unemployed Brits rushing for an interview.
The turkey supplier on the tv advertised for vacancies, one applicant turned up, one refused the job out of ten vacancies.

Put the minimum wage to £50/h , still no-one would turn up.

Amazing thing in the UK people still believe what the government tell them, despite a continuous stream of lies.
Not sure that people actually believe what the government says. Especially the younger generation.
It is more like people take little or no notice of what they say and just believe what they want to believe.
And that is either the media or social media, or what their friends say.

Boris does not have the influence some think. It is just that he is there as the PM.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You are a migrant worker

- There is a shortage on your position all across Europe
- Countries like Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Luxembourg have the same or higher wages than the UK
- Language is not a factor as is barely needed or even your mother tongue is closer to other countries (latin, germanic, nordic languages)
- You are a EU citizen:
*Your condition is more stable on this countries as you are free to work with whoever you want without depending on a special visa (probably temporarily and tied to a company)
*As a EU citizen you have an assured safety net in case of unemployment and health care if you don't have a work.
*More likely you will not get kicked out of the country if you remain more than 3 month unemployed (though it could happen)
* risk to get chucked out if you are not needed any more
* racism picker up during the brexit debate

Why the feck you would decide to go to the UK? it doesn't make any sense.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
For once, the new UK anglo-centric alliance with the United States and Australia is a step ahead for geopolitics clarity (the European Union really needs to integrate more as a block now, with a budget for common defense at least, and take care of its own security issues) and for a more coherent perspective with shared historical and present issues (trade, cold war, racism, etc.). On the other hand, too more clarity is also a step ahead towards more active confrontation among the blocks and the associated spheres of influence, so let’s fasten our belts…

Paul the Wolf

You are a migrant worker

- There is a shortage on your position all across Europe
- Countries like Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Luxembourg have the same or higher wages than the UK
- Language is not a factor as is barely needed or even your mother tongue is closer to other countries (latin, germanic, nordic languages)
- You are a EU citizen:
*Your condition is more stable on this countries as you are free to work with whoever you want without depending on a special visa (probably temporarily and tied to a company)
*As a EU citizen you have an assured safety net in case of unemployment and health care if you don't have a work.
*More likely you will not get kicked out of the country if you remain more than 3 month unemployed (though it could happen)
* risk to get chucked out if you are not needed any more
* racism picker up during the brexit debate

Why the feck you would decide to go to the UK? it doesn't make any sense.
Don't forget from the first of October they need a passport as well to enter the UK, another cost. Plus welcomed by Priti Patel. The only drivers who would go would be those who can't get a job in the EU, why couldn't they get a job, because they're not very good, possibly ?

Anyway Labour and Starmer have got the answer, maybe they can bring some unicorns with them.

• He suggested the government might have to grant visas to 100,000 foreign lorry drivers, not just the 5,000 planned by ministers. He said:
On the HGV situation we are going to have to bring in more drivers and more visas. I’m astonished the government, knowing the situation, is not acting today. The prime minister needs to say today what he is going to do.
Asked if he would bring in 100,000 foreign drivers, Starmer said:

We are going to have to do that. We have to issue enough visas to cover the number of drivers that we need.
There is no hope!

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Don't forget from the first of October they need a passport as well to enter the UK, another cost. Plus welcomed by Priti Patel. The only drivers who would go would be those who can't get a job in the EU, why couldn't they get a job, because they're not very good, possibly ?

Anyway Labour and Starmer have got the answer, maybe they can bring some unicorns with them.

• He suggested the government might have to grant visas to 100,000 foreign lorry drivers, not just the 5,000 planned by ministers. He said:

Asked if he would bring in 100,000 foreign drivers, Starmer said:

There is no hope!
Here Paul, here's a link to dozens of articles in Dutch saying we are thousands of drivers short, is that because of brexit?

https://www.google.com/search?q=vra...LjGYAQCgAQGgAQWwAQ8&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp

Paul the Wolf

Here Paul, here's a link to dozens of articles in Dutch saying we are thousands of drivers short, is that because of brexit?

https://www.google.com/search?q=vra...LjGYAQCgAQGgAQWwAQ8&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp
All countries are short of drivers and have been for many years. No-one is disputing this. But EU countries do not have the problems the UK has.
Not only does the UK have a shortage of drivers they can no longer do cabotage in Europe which is why you don't see any British lorries down where I live. The can do one delivery and go back;

EU drivers/lorries can tour round Europe picking up loads and dropping them off on the way. So if NL has a shortage of drivers and a Lithuanian lorry on its way through to Germany from France as an example can pick up a load in Breda drop it in Rotterdam, pick up a load, drop it in Amsterdam, pick up another load drop it in Hamburg and so on. The Lithuanian driver doesn't need a passport or a visa.
This is what happened pre-brexit in the UK, doesn't happen much now.

Maticmaker

In terms of how Brexit has affected me personally, I would have to say not so I'd notice.

Of course being retired means you are out of the main stream, although just recently I have been contacted by a number of people/companies I use to deal with over ten years ago, at that time I had my own business involved in Training Programming of various sorts, for various companies. They are all now seeking my help in providing training for new employees. The majority of these people haven't trained anybody for years (which help explains why they are still using my number as a contact for training!) and the single most common factor is that their pool of cheap skilled labour has dried up, mainly as people return home to countries in the EU. Some of this was of course affected by Covid related issues, but of those I've spoken to, most say it was beginning with Brexit.

It would appear they are now revisiting their payment levels/scales and broadly this amounts to having to up their wages/salary levels and offer free training; not just to new recruits, but for some companies also to all employees under the age of thirty five they are offering to support a 'continuous training' programme based on personal aspirations. Presumably to try and keep people they train.

Anything that gets companies reinvesting in their locally sources people/workforce and not having to rely on Government handouts, means a brighter future...viva Brexit!

Almost makes me want to return to the fray.... but on second thoughts with steel hips and a pacemaker in place better not!

Paul the Wolf

So you take your 1 massive job, dump it in NL and European drivers can distribute it
Yes but within the UK if there was delivery from somewhere in Europe to a city in the Uk, the driver could drive between different UK cities and then go out back again.
After Brexit the Uk is no longer in the EU, one thing he's going to get stuck at customs and have all this paperwork to get through customs for anything that crosses the border.
Some time next year, when the UK do decide to "take back control of their borders" they will be held up going in and going out. Why would they waste their time in the UK. There's plenty of work without complications in the EU.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Yes but within the UK if there was delivery from somewhere in Europe to a city in the Uk, the driver could drive between different UK cities and then go out back again.
After Brexit the Uk is no longer in the EU, one thing he's going to get stuck at customs and have all this paperwork to get through customs for anything that crosses the border.
Some time next year, when the UK do decide to "take back control of their borders" they will be held up going in and going out. Why would they waste their time in the UK. There's plenty of work without complications in the EU.
Introducing SOX into the workplace also causes inconveniences and security checks, it doesn't mean the company stops doing business, we just do it another way.

Paul the Wolf

Introducing SOX into the workplace also causes inconveniences and security checks, it doesn't mean the company stops doing business, we just do it another way.
Time is money. If SOX only applies to your company and its costs time and money then they'll avoid using your company and use a company that doesn't have to use SOX.

Paul the Wolf

All listed companies on the US stock exchange have to be compliant to trade
I know , what I mean is that the UK is now following different regulations than the EU, which is adding more expense, more bureaucracy, more delays etc which being in the EU avoided. GB is no longer in the customs union or the single market and one of the many consequences of voting for that is what is happening now. I must confess I thought the real problems would take a little longer to take such an effect, the problem is that they are going to get worse as more grace periods ending kick in.

Of course Lord dildo Frost could still break the NI protocol and start a trade war and make things ten times worse.