Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Classical Mechanic

Of course, my question was how relevant a 4% drop in GDP over 15 years is to the debate though. Obviously if it were much worse then it would be, no question about that.
It’s relevant because a shrinking economy over a 15 year period is a big issue. You have to remember the natural economic cycle means that a countries GDP should grow over time. A 4% shrink doesn’t sound like a lot but when you think our GDP even now is growing at say 0.5-1% a year, we are saying it’s setting us back circa 15-20% over 15 years of all things carried on as they are now. Which is a big assumption but not an outrageous one when you look at economic growth over periods exclusive of significant events such as the financial crisis.
The wording is 1.9-5.5% lower growth than if we stayed in the EU under May’s deal or 3.5% - 9% lower with a hard Brexit. Correct me if I’m wrong but this means slower growth than if we stayed in the EU rather than overall GDP contraction from where we are now?

saivet

The wording is 1.9-5.5% lower growth than if we stayed in the EU under May’s deal or 3.5% - 9% lower with a hard Brexit. Correct me if I’m wrong but this means slower growth than if we stayed in the EU rather than overall GDP contraction from where we are now?
Did it state what growth is expected to be if we were to stay in the EU?

Classical Mechanic

Did it state what growth is expected to be if we were to stay in the EU?
Not as far as I can see although

To put a figure on it.

The estimates do not put a cash figure on the potential impact on the economy, but independent experts have said that 3.9% of GDP would equate to about £100bn a year by the 2030s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46366162

These predictions come with many caveats though as they 'could' happen and are not 'forecast' with the hard Brexit modelling based on a 'disorderly' Brexit, which I presume means without any ad-hoc arrangements being made with the EU to smooth the impact (which seems likely to happen in the event of a HB). The headlines are also 'the worst case scenario' for each model.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What are the Bank of England, who presumably have at least a few people who know a bit about economics, doing scaremongering about a possible recession? Isn’t that pretty much the last thing you’re supposed to do?
A recession in the event of no deal is inevitable whether the BoE scaremonger or not.

GloryHunter07

What are the Bank of England, who presumably have at least a few people who know a bit about economics, doing scaremongering about a possible recession? Isn’t that pretty much the last thing you’re supposed to do?
Would you prefer the Bank of England see a recession coming and warn nobody?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The interesting thing is that a FTA deal would be almost as bad as hard brexit according to the BoE. Under both scenarios unemployment rises to 6.5%+.

Smores

I don't know what you don't understand. The BoE historically has been careful with it's language to avoid a self-fulfilling recession, they certainly don't 'warn' people to prepare for recession that just creates further contraction.

In this case a no deal brexit is going to cause immediate contraction and panic anyway so they're free to be as much of a cassandra as they wan. Like Carney said they had no choice it was asked of them.

Smores

She keeps saying "no one thought we would get this deal", who exactly?

She's giving evidence to the brexit committee currently and answering absolutely nothing but giving her prepared slogans even when they don't make sense.

Classical Mechanic

I don't know what you don't understand. The BoE historically has been careful with it's language to avoid a self-fulfilling recession, they certainly don't 'warn' people to prepare for recession that just creates further contraction.

In this case a no deal brexit is going to cause immediate contraction and panic anyway so they're free to be as much of a cassandra as they wan. Like Carney said they had no choice it was asked of them.
I don't think this is true.

Lets face it, there's a faction of hysterical remainers that are 'spooked' but the majority of people in the UK are just getting on with their lives as normal. I think this is one of the reasons the economy has remained so resilient since the vote because consumer confidence has remained relatively buoyant. It was only in the past week that an article in The Guardian claimed that the British people were 'too relaxed' about the prospect of a hard Brexit.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
London will lose up to to €800bn (£700bn) in assets to rival financial hub Frankfurt by March 2019 as banks start to transfer business to the German city before Brexit day.

The lobby group Frankfurt Main Finance released the figure after it was confirmed that 30 banks and financial firms had chosen the city as the site of their new EU headquarters.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...00bn-to-frankfurt-as-banks-prepare-for-brexit

And so it begins. Ah well, guess we didn't want that business anyway..

GloryHunter07

I don't think this is true.

Lets face it, there's a faction of hysterical remainers that are 'spooked' but the majority of people in the UK are just getting on with their lives as normal. I think this is one of the reasons the economy has remained so resilient since the vote because consumer confidence has remained relatively buoyant. It was only in the past week that an article in The Guardian claimed that the British people were 'too relaxed' about the prospect of a hard Brexit.
One of the reasons thingns have been relatively stable is because the Bank of England stepped in and took action after the referendum result.

Abizzz

Watching May in front of the liaison committee and Bernard Jenkin MP calls the chancellor's forecast propaganda.

The chancellory is being led by his own party... Do these people have no shame whatsoever? These people are jokes that would make Trump proud.

MoskvaRed

Watching May in front of the liaison committee and Bernard Jenkin MP calls the chancellor's forecast propaganda.

The chancellory is being led by his own party... Do these people have no shame whatsoever? These people are jokes that would make Trump proud.
It highlights the fact that, if we do have a second referendum, the Remain side will have to do more than rely on economic arguments. Jenkin and his ilk will lie shamelessly again about Project Fear and claim they could get a better deal than the closet remainer “Treason May”.

Smores

The Labour amendment to block a no deal very much looks like a people's vote in the making.

EyeInTheSky

For those with capital.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...00bn-to-frankfurt-as-banks-prepare-for-brexit

And so it begins. Ah well, guess we didn't want that business anyway..
There goes "Project fear again"...

I can't believe there are people out there who think that 1/3 or 30% being wiped off of the value of UK families assets/homes is a good thing "Oh more people can afford houses then" :houllier: No you fecking morons it means that those people who have houses now and are struggling to keep them are going to lose them and when the interest rates have to go up it also means that an even larger proportion of people won't be able to afford to buy them.

Also, this "Project fear" BS excuse of an argument is so hypocritical as well. I take exception to the term being used for anyone but those campaiging for Brexit because it was the Brexiteers like UKIP that used complete fiction lies and FUD to influence their cretins and fanned the flames of ignorance with it.

It was not project fear it was Project FACT you fecks.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Because they have a direct impact over what happens. They control interest rates, they are responsible for keeping inflation on target and they have an arsenal of levers and buttons at their disposal in order to make that happen. In other words, whatever they say directly impacts the economy. I can’t remember the BoE warning about a possible recession before, but it’s normally a good way to get people to be more cautious with their spending which sets the wheels running even quicker.

MoskvaRed

Because they have a direct impact over what happens. They control interest rates, they are responsible for keeping inflation on target and they have an arsenal of levers and buttons at their disposal in order to make that happen. In other words, whatever they say directly impacts the economy. I can’t remember the BoE warning about a possible recession before, but it’s normally a good way to get people to be more cautious with their spending which sets the wheels running even quicker.
Under ordinary circumstances, I agree with you but this is far from ordinary - the first time a major advanced economy has tried to extricate itself from a single market trading bloc and reverse 45 years of convergence. The BoE is right to inform the population of the likely consequences of the choices before parliament. As for becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, business investment has already fallen sharply due to uncertainty and, as for consumers, Remainers feared the worst anyway while I imagine many Leavers will just dismiss it as propaganda.

And so it begins. Ah well, guess we didn't want that business anyway.
I was working on a project with one the major banks a few months ago to relocate thousands of their employees to Europe and route their trades, billions of dollars worth per day, to the new location. A number of others i know have leased offices in Europe as a just in case.

800bn sounds like a lot to the public buts its a drop in the ocean in that world. Brexit will hit hard but ultimately the English language will protect London.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Under ordinary circumstances, I agree with you but this is far from ordinary - the first time a major advanced economy has tried to extricate itself from a single market trading bloc and reverse 45 years of convergence. The BoE is right to inform the population of the likely consequences of the choices before parliament. As for becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, business investment has already fallen sharply due to uncertainty and, as for consumers, Remainers feared the worst anyway while I imagine many Leavers will just dismiss it as propaganda.
Oh I don’t doubt this.

It’s obviously going to be a bad thing to leave the EU and a huge shock to the economy, I just wouldn’t expect to see the BoE shouting it from the rooftops is all :lol:

RedChip

The Brexit modelling from the BoE are not facts and neither are the projections from a vested interest in the German banking industry.
Weird statement. Since when have economic forecasts been facts? What matters is whether or not the information helps people make better decisions.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Ok, not your subject. They're not saying GDP will be 4% lower in absolute terms after 15 years, they're saying it will be 4% less than it would otherwise have been. So something like an annual growth of 1.7% instead of 2.0%. Or as you reasonably put it, setting us back 4%, not 15-20%. Not welcome, but not huge either.
No need for the patronising “not your subject”.

Of course, my question was how relevant a 4% drop in GDP over 15 years is to the debate though. Obviously if it were much worse then it would be, no question about that.
Ignorantly I hadn’t read the article and went based on what you’d written. And your wording implied an actual drop of 4% per the way your post is worded. Or at least how I read it. And given some of the ther figures being branded around yesterday it seemed possible :lol:

Not to worry though, my error. Yeah in this context, it’s meaningless not because it’s not a lot of money (every decimal is huge when talking about GDP) but it’s so easy to spin it in a positive light to the public. Someone can just say hey look our economy grew by x% hence Brexit was a success. If someone says no it wasn’t cause if it hadn’t happened it might have been more, It’s easy to see who wold sway lesser informed people.

Classical Mechanic

Weird statement. Since when have economic forecasts been facts? What matters is whether or not the information helps people make better decisions.
It wasn't a forecast.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ning-recession-financial-crisis-a8656561.html

The Bank stressed that it was modelling the scenario to be sure that the UK banking sector was resilient enough to withstand such an economic crisis, rather than making a forecast of what was likely to happen.

What's making the headlines is the absolute worst case scenario modelling because its sexy stuff.