Brian Kidd, how does the Caf view him

Green_Red

European cup winner with United in one of the best teams we had.
Fergies right hand man for the first league win in 26 years.
Man City right hand man for a decade.

United legend, or not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kidd

I'm torn given what he achieved here

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Some nice accomplishments but can't really back someone that celebrates City goals like he does as our legend. They can have him, they are in dire need of some sort of icon.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's the best 'co-assistant manager' City have ever had.

Good servant to Utd, until he fell out with SAF.

galwayfa

Tarnished legend, money talks and they wanted him while we didn't.

Bojan11

He's the best 'co-assistant manager' City have ever had.

Good servant to Utd, until he fell out with SAF.
Did he fall out?

He just wanted to try management. It didn’t work and I don’t think he wanted to fall out with Fergie over it. Fergie just didn’t want to lose him and could be petty at times. I don’t blame Kidd for wanting to further his ambition and try out management especially at Blackburn during that time. It didn’t work out for him and he went back to being assistant manager. Again people saying he’s a traitor for going to City, maybe. But for me, I don’t blame him again. He was never going to come back at Man United during that time with SAF around. It was good job for him to a club who wanted to reach the top and he didn’t have to relocate. Giving him stick for joining City when Man Utd didn’t want him is unfair. Schmeichel and Andy Cole rarely get stick for making that move.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
People saying he is not a United legend because he went to City.

Is Denis Law not a legend then? He scored the goal for City that relegated United.

Sir Matt Busby was a player for both Liverpool and Man City. Is he not a legend?

Andy Cole, Peter Schmeichel both played for City also.

Verminator

Is Denis Law not a legend then? He scored the goal for City that relegated United.

Sir Matt Busby was a player for both Liverpool and Man City. Is he not a legend?

Your knowledge is not as good as you like to think.

Needham

He's just one of those rare players who represented both teams in a city divided by an intense derby rivalry who could get a fair reception at either. Maybe worth a thread, can't think of many (Beardsley played for Liverpool and Everton). Anyway, both sets of fans could find something good to say for him.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

We would have been relegated even if he didn't score.

Bocca9978

Disappointed.

Guys got to work I guess but shame it’s with them.

Revaulx

Incredibly frustrating player. Obviously talented, but just didn’t score enough for us.

The moment he left, he became a goal machine. Which he continued to be for the rest of his career.

Yeah I know we were a crap team towards the end of his time with us, but the Arsenal side he joined were in massive decline as well, yet he really stepped up for them.

He joined City as a player because he was desperately homesick and wanted to be back in Manchester. City wanted him; United didn’t.

I’ve always had a soft spot for him, and the City moves (both player and managerial) haven’t bothered me at all. I’m not sure about a legend though; his playing days at United certainly don’t qualify him as one.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think the chain of events that lead him to him distancing himself from United as sad.He is a United legend, who was possibly a bigger talent then half of the class of 92 and he proved himself in numerous clubs including Shitty. After his football career was over he worked hard to become SAF's no 2 which is a dream job for a local talent like him. Unfortunately he got into a typical SAF-Edwards spat when Edwards consulted him about whether United should buy Yorke or not behind the manager's back. Kidd gave his opinion, Edwards used it to try and pressure the manager to take a different route and because of it SAF never forgiven Kidd for that. The old man went hard on him when he took Kidd took the job at Blackburn and then once again in his autobiography.

I think he's a decent assistant though, possibly the best SAF had ever had. While his accolades are rotting with Australia's national team or managing Colombia, Kidd is actually winning real trophies at Shitty.

Cockney Phil

Kidd is just another Manchester man.

After 1968, the team should have been rebuilt around players like Kidd and Best. Kidd was a casualty in that process. He is largely forgotten or overlooked from those times for not being as good as Best but better than most players that came in. In seven years he played over 200 games (50 goals) for us and was 24/25 when he joined Arsenal in 1974 (70 goals), then 3 years at City and nearly 100 goals. It’s easy to blame his final years with us as failure but it was a torrid time as the ‘trio’ left and different managers struggled to impose change.

Kidd was a good choice for Fergie, a bit like Mike Phelan coming back - the fans liked and respected him. The players seemed to respond to him. Then the Blackburn job came along and Kidd had to try his hand. He was not managerial level but there was no coming back to us. He took the City job (after Leeds) but that was no Tevez type deal and should be seen in the context of his preference for all things Manchester.

Kidd is through and through a Manchester man, which was about the city and it’s culture. People not from the ‘old’ Manchester spirit cannot understand those social ties that still binds us even if most of it has now gone. Manchester was also a different place in the 1960s and 1970s. Players and fans swapped clubs and the rivalry between them was not as hostile as it has become. No one I knew felt Denis or Kidd were traitors for playing for them, it was all pretty irrelevant after their achievements for us.

Last edited:

stevoc

Kidd is just another Manchester man.

After 1968, the team should have been rebuilt around players like Kidd and Best. Kidd was a casualty in that process. He is largely forgotten or overlooked from those times for not being as good as Best but better than most players that came in. In seven years he scored over 200 goals for us and was 24/25 when he joined Arsenal in 1974 (70 goals), then 3 years at City and nearly 100 goals. It’s easy to blame his final years with us as failure but it was a torrid time as the ‘trio’ left and different managers struggled to impose change.

Kidd was a good choice for Fergie, a bit like Mike Phelan coming back - the fans liked and respected him. The players seemed to respond to him. Then the Blackburn job came along and Kidd had to try his hand. He was not managerial level but there was no coming back to us. He took the City job (after Leeds) but that was no Tevez type deal and should be seen in the context of his preference for all things Manchester.

Kidd is through and through a Manchester man, which was about the city and it’s culture. People not from the ‘old’ Manchester spirit cannot understand those social ties that still binds us even if most of it has now gone. Manchester was also a different place in the 1960s and 1970s. Players and fans swapped clubs and the rivalry between them was not as hostile as it has become. No one I knew felt Denis or Kidd were traitors for playing for them, it was all pretty irrelevant after their achievements for us.
Is this mostly youth and reserve goals?

superdry

touched by a genius
As a young lad Kiddo was my second favourite player after George. I remember us battering city at Old Trafford, it was a great game, he totally destroyed Tommy Booth and scored a couple of goals( I think I wanted to be him after that performance!) I can't stand him now!

Denis' cuff

Find it difficult to dislike the guy. Seems down to earth, modest etc. I understand there should be some degree of loyalty but they are professionals, not fans.

Surprised at the claim he became the prolific scorer at arse and Ciddy. Maybe there’s some context there? Dunno. The guy had huge boots to fill after the Lawman, even to the point of the Stret calling him King Brian. He never reached expectations but that was likely more to do with our appalling management, thanks to Busby and Edwards. Best game I ever saw him play was his debut vs Spurs in the Charity Shield. Led Mike England a dance.

I thought he left with Fergie’s blessing but it emerged later that he wanted that Welsh oaf from West Ham (forget his name) and went behind Fergie’s back to Edwards? Again, not sure of the sequence of events, now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Find it difficult to dislike the guy. Seems down to earth, modest etc. I understand there should be some degree of loyalty but they are professionals, not fans.

Surprised at the claim he became the prolific scorer at arse and Ciddy. Maybe there’s some context there? Dunno. The guy had huge boots to fill after the Lawman, even to the point of the Stret calling him King Brian. He never reached expectations but that was likely more to do with our appalling management, thanks to Busby and Edwards. Best game I ever saw him play was his debut vs Spurs in the Charity Shield. Led Mike England a dance.

I thought he left with Fergie’s blessing but it emerged later that he wanted that Welsh oaf from West Ham (forget his name) and went behind Fergie’s back to Edwards? Again, not sure of the sequence of events, now.
Not sure about the last part but he was shabbily treated by Fergie during his last few months at Utd then crticised for leaving to manage Blackburn.

What I do know is that Kidd has never had a bad thing to say about Utd. He's a Manchester lad and has always maintained how proud he is to have served the two clubs.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Nonsense, we were going down before he scored.

His sadness was that it was us he scored against no that the goal relegated us

Denis' cuff

Not sure about the last part but he was shabbily treated by Fergie during his last few months at Utd then crticised for leaving to manage Blackburn.

What I do know is that Kidd has never had a bad thing to say about Utd. He's a Manchester lad and has always maintained how proud he is to have served the two clubs.
?

Yep. Good to see him have a good career coaching as well as playing. Proper football man.

Al-T

Sir Alex wanted Dwight Yorke. When he discussed it with Martin Edwards, the latter expressed surprise. When Sir Alex pressed him, he said that Brian Kidd had recommended John Hartson.

Fergie went crackers and asked Edwards if he really saw Hartson as a Manchester United player. Edwards admitted that Kidd's suggestion had surprised him.

This was on the back of the 97/98 season where we blew a lead and lost the title to Arsenal. I think Sir Alex felt his authority was being undermined and Kidd had gone behind his back. He didn't much care for that sort of thing!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

The difference being Denis Law showed genuine remorse after scoring that goal and spent the rest of his life apologizing for it. Brian Kidd celebrated City's title win as if his life depended on it and then went on to make multiple comments in the press eluding to City's greatness.

One of them is a legend, the other is a disloyal money grubber.

Tarrou

Sir Alex wanted Dwight Yorke. When he discussed it with Martin Edwards, the latter expressed surprise. When Sir Alex pressed him, he said that Brian Kidd had recommended John Hartson.

Fergie went crackers and asked Edwards if he really saw Hartson as a Manchester United player. Edwards admitted that Kidd's suggestion had surprised him.

This was on the back of the 97/98 season where we blew a lead and lost the title to Arsenal. I think Sir Alex felt his authority was being undermined and Kidd had gone behind his back. He didn't much care for that sort of thing!
the guy who practically tried to decapitate Eyal Berkovic in training? :lol:

Denis' cuff

Yep - all fits into place now. 21 years ago :eek:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Didn't Fergie take a swipe at Kidd in his first autobiography too? I'm sure Kidd said a lot of it wasn't true.

Don't know how true it is, but I'm sure I read some time ago that Fergie didn't make contact with him when he was going through Prostate Cancer either.

simplyared

My brother used to write in the utd program every other week under the title "With the Reserves" back in the 60's. Told me about Brian Kidd long before he got into the 1st team. Manchester lad from Collyhurst and was certainly amongst those players I worshipped as a lad. KIDDO - a great player for us but legend status no!