Brian Kidd

stevoc

I think Kidd is one of several people that Fergie has stabbed in the back to sell his autobiographies. No need to say controversial unkind things about a former colleague.
Or maybe thats just how he felt about the man and was being honest. I'm pretty sure Fergusons autobiography would have still sold as much without the few paragraphs that were dedicated to Brian Kidd.

Kidd's no angel either, if it was true he was trying to undermine Ferguson towards the end of his time at United then he was fair game for some criticism in my opinion.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Kidd's no angel either, if it was true he was trying to undermine Ferguson towards the end of his time at United then he was fair game for some criticism in my opinion.
Was he? I never heard of that

stevoc

Was he? I never heard of that
Yeah well according to Ferguson anyway in his book. The gist of it was Ferguson phoned Edwards while on holiday to ask how the deal for Yorke was going, he got the feeling Edwards was dragging his feet. He pushed for more info and Edwards said there were other people who weren't sure about signing Yorke, Edwards went on to admit that it was Brian Kidd who had been in his ear questioning Fergusons judgement.

When Ferguson asked Edwards who Kidd thought they should sign instead Edwards said John Hartson had been mentioned. After that i think we can imagine Fergie wasn't exactly happy with the situation.

devilish

Yeah well according to Ferguson anyway in his book. The gist of it was Ferguson phoned Edwards while on holiday to ask how the deal for Yorke was going, he got the feeling Edwards was dragging his feet. He pushed for more info and Edwards said there were other people who weren't sure about signing Yorke, Edwards went on to admit that it was Brian Kidd who had been in his ear questioning Fergusons judgement.

When Ferguson asked Edwards who Kidd thought they should sign instead Edwards said John Hartson had been mentioned. After that i think we can imagine Fergie wasn't exactly happy with the situation.
That's bad. However SAF's actions were equally bad. The correct course of action would have been to sack his assistant on the spot or at least demote him to scout. That's what usually happens under such circumstances.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
That's bad. However SAF's actions were equally bad. The correct course of action would have been to sack his assistant on the spot or at least demote him to scout. That's what usually happens under such circumstances.

The correct course would have been not to wash dirty linen in public it isn't classy. Look at the undignified book for book row Fergie had with Keano as well. What goes on in the dressing room stays in the dressing room etc...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The Sun are reporting that Mourinho wants him to join him in his backroon staff.

Obviously a United legend but having spent a few years at City now would you welcome him back?
Yes. He was a United man long before he moved to City. He seems very good at roles below the level of manager

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Kidd might have got above his station a little during his time here if that extract is to be believed, but I still think he's a quality coach and is proven at this club and other clubs. A guy with his experience is not to be ignored.

devilish

The correct course would have been not to wash dirty linen in public it isn't classy. Look at the undignified book for book row Fergie had with Keano as well. What goes on in the dressing room stays in the dressing room etc...
Look, I am not the type to shy away from criticising SAF and I can understand why Kidd didn't want Yorke at OT. Having said that an assistant manager should NEVER go behind his manager's back. I've said that when rumours of Giggs leaking information was being made and I repeat the same thing with Kidd. The assistant manager should voice his concerns with the manager and if the manager doesn't listen then he can suck it up or resign. Under such circumstances the manager should have sacked him or demoted him.

Having said that SAF should have never taken his revenge by mentioning Kidd in his book or criticizing him prior to his appointment at Blackburn. As said there are other ways to 'punish' a dissenting staff

stevoc

Well mate maybe yeah he should have but we don't know if he had that much power back then to sack a guy with Kidds history at the club. There could have been behind the scenes politics preventing him from doing it. Back then ferguson and Edwards from all accounts didn't have a great working relationship either.

This was Ferguson pre Treble lets remember not the all powerful Ferguson of the last 10-15 years of his career. As i said earlier just a year later Bosnich was signed against his wishes by Edwards. Can you imagine that happening in the second half of Fergusons United career?

devilish

Well mate maybe yeah he should have but we don't know if he had that much power back then to sack a guy with Kidds history at the club. There could have been behind the scenes politics preventing him from doing it. Back then ferguson and Edwards from all accounts didn't have a great working relationship either.

This was Ferguson pre Treble lets remember not the all powerful Ferguson of the last 10-15 years of his career. As i said earlier just a year later Bosnich was signed against his wishes by Edwards. Can you imagine that happening in the second half of Fergusons United career?
Every manager has the right to sack or at least demote his people to an insignificant role which keeps them out of sight. Else he's no manager at all.

stubie

Will never forget Brian Kidd wanting Fergie to sign John Hartson in 1998 where as Fergie wanted Kluivert and/or Yorke

stevoc

Every manager has the right to sack or at least demote his people to an insignificant role which keeps them out of sight. Else he's no manager at all.
Thats all well and good but in reality there must have been some reason he didn't sack him that summer. Ferguson was hardly a shrinking violet who would keep someone around who was questioning his authority. And yet when the season started Kidd was still his assistant.

So i think its reasonable to assume that club politics probably prevented him from sacking him, their relationship probably soured and that could be why Kidd took the Blackburn job just a few months later.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The City olayers past and present always speak well of him.
Mancini said he had given up on the 2011/12 season after defeat to Arsenal was going to say as much in the post match conference. Kidd told him hat was bollocks.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

He's a mancunian through and through.

Surely his recruitment would be considered a step back though.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A step back from what?
to re-recruit Brian Kidd after he left the club on such uncertain terms due to a fall out with Fergie, would be a step back in my opinion. Not to mention that since then he took the assistant managers job at our bitter rivals.

I just think it's time to look forwards in our approach to the future.

devilish

Will never forget Brian Kidd wanting Fergie to sign John Hartson in 1998 where as Fergie wanted Kluivert and/or Yorke
SAF signed Bebe, Djemba and wanted Stan Collymore.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
Just in case it's not been said as far as I'm aware it's been confirmed multiple times, by Khaldoon & again yesterday that Kidd is staying at City. Although he does seem to enjoy crossing the divide.

stevoc

SAF signed Bebe, Djemba and wanted Stan Collymore.
Whats wrong with wanting to sign Collymore?

He's a knob and he wasted his talent but at Forest in the mid 90's he had the potential to be one of the worlds best strikers.

stevoc

Just in case it's not been said as far as I'm aware it's been confirmed multiple times, by Khaldoon & again yesterday that Kidd is staying at City. Although he does seem to enjoy crossing the divide.
Good i don't hold working for City against Kidd but i don't really want him at United either.

SalfordRed1960

Couldn't care less he's been with City. Kiddo has history with both Manchester clubs and is sound. Would love to see him back if Jose wants him on board.
He still came to see United. I met him a few times in the executive suites. He is a down to earth guy. Just works where he has to. He is not bitter, and probably will not say a bad word against City either.

Spoony

The People's President
Whats wrong with wanting to sign Collymore?

He's a knob and he wasted his talent but at Forest in the mid 90's he had the potential to be one of the worlds best strikers.

He's probably too young to know that Collymore was fantastic at Forest. Seemed to have the lot.

Last edited:

stevoc

He'd probably too young to know that Collymore was fantastic at Forest. Seemed to have the lot.
Yeah definitely looked like he could go on to be one of the best around. And then he went to Liverpool it all went tits up from there.

stevoc

Complete waster. I wonder how he'd have developed at United.
Don't know mate, if he had got his head right i think he could have did great things. I imagine he would have played up top at first and then maybe dropped a bit deeper when Eric retired. His long range shooting was brilliant so playing in and around the box might have suited him better than having his back to goal. I think he would have played similar to how Yorkie did for us.

In hindsight Liverpool was a terrible career move they were a bunch of flash wankers when he went there and it was hardly the best environment for him to develop. But with the work ethic at United i could have seen that maybe rubbing off on him. But who knows how it would have actually went.

I was a big fan of him at Forest, shame how his career went considering his talent.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
Don't know mate, if he had got his head right i think he could have did great things. I imagine he would have played up top at first and then maybe dropped a bit deeper when Eric retired. His long range shooting was brilliant so playing in and around the box might have suited him better than having his back to goal. I think he would have played similar to how Yorkie did for us.

In hindsight Liverpool was a terrible career move they were a bunch of flash wankers when he went there and it was hardly the best environment for him to develop. But with the work ethic at United i could have seen that maybe rubbing off on him. But who knows how it would have actually went.

I was a big fan of him at Forest, shame how his career went considering his talent.
I think it's a shame we don't have United legends like Kidd on our bench - I'm not saying hire an unqualified Ryan Giggs but the teams that have the most success tend to have that presence there. On another note about Collymore, Fergie tried to sign him from Forest but when he couldn't get Frank Clark the Forest manager he decided to make a cheeky bid that day for Andy Cole and the rest is history.

Klopp_De_Klown

If he can do the job... Then why not.

He'll celebrate with us just the same as he did with SAF after Brucies goals against Sheffield Wed. For the kids, yep the other guy on the pitch on his knees is none other than Bryan Kidd.

Dont forget your history.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
from a City POV pleased this didn't happen, he's been great with the City managers and they all appear to have appreciated what he's done

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Been pushed into the background under baldy. Few rumours circulating that all has not been handled well.