Brianna Ghey Murder

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just reading some beeb updates now. The lass sounds like she has some severe psychological issues.

FireballXL5

Hope that pair of hateful twats enjoy their wasted lives in prison.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Such a tragic case.

The killers have just been named and are currently being sentenced.

They look AI alternate versions of the same face.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Hope that pair of hateful twats enjoy their wasted lives in prison.
As tragic as it is I'd rather they get the treatment they need. If the amount of money we spend on the prison system were spent on early years support and mental health services, the size of the prison estate could be reduced drastically.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
As tragic as it is I'd rather they get the treatment they need. If the amount of money we spend on the prison system were spent on early years support and mental health services, the size of the prison estate could be reduced drastically.
Yep. Crime is always going to happen regardless but it would be lessened if there was more of an emphasis on treating the socio-economic factors that often lead to it, instead of just pure punishments.

fergies coat

If they did that to my daughter I'd want them to suffer a slow painful death, feck the treatment they need, the evil little c#nts. Everybody has control over thier own actions.

hobbers

No amount of 'treatment' will fix Jenkinson.

Pair of them should just be left to fend for themselves in adult prisons.

buchansleftleg

More? Like what?
BBC has just revealed Scarlet Jenkinson spiked another pupil at previous school with cannabis but other school not made aware of this - separate investigation launched by Warrington Council into why new school not informed.

Like many "problem" kids I suspect she was just "disappeared" from a schools register rather than going through a proper disciplinary process.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Is there a reason their names and faces have been released? They’re both under 18, so it shouldn’t happen…? @TheReligion any idea?

The Corinthian

Because the crime is so serious the Judge decided they shouldn't have anonymity, I think. Like with Thompson and Venables.
Thompson and Venables pictures were never released and both were given new identities. This isn’t the same as that.

Edit: although you may be right - it could be due to the nature of the crime. But I’d consider any crime where a teenager / child is murdered by under 18 year olds is as grave as this.

BeltUp

Supports
United
If they did that to my daughter I'd want them to suffer a slow painful death, feck the treatment they need, the evil little c#nts. Everybody has control over thier own actions.
They 100% deserve punishment but if you even do a little bit of reading around free will or determinism, you will find that not everybody has control over their own actions.

Vitro

It’s tricky with children as young as 16 with crimes such as this. They are a product of their nature and nurture, neither of which they have had much say in by that age.

That'sHernandez

Thompson and Venables pictures were never released and both were given new identities. This isn’t the same as that.

Edit: although you may be right - it could be due to the nature of the crime. But I’d consider any crime where a teenager / child is murdered by under 18 year olds is as grave as this.
The Thompson and Venables mugshots are infamous, everyone has seen them.

The Corinthian

The Thompson and Venables mugshots are infamous, everyone has seen them.
Yes you’re right - I misremembered. There’s no way you’d be able to recognise them though as they were young and prepubescent.

decorativeed

Was Brianna killed because she was a transgender? Or were they out to kill people anyway?
Apparently not, she was just vulnerable enough to make it easier for them to kill her first rather than the other kids on their list. The killers seemed to treat it all as a game or TV show - something totally divorced from reality, according to the articles I read. Tragically, she seemed to become their victim simply from believing they were actually her friends.

buchansleftleg

Was Brianna killed because she was a transgender? Or were they out to kill people anyway?
Hard to be sure but doesn't seem to have been the prime motive. Scarlett Jenkinson seems to have had a morbid fascination with serial killers and drew up "Kill-lists" of various people she new at the school. She went out of her way to try and befriend Brianna in order to get her to trust her enough to lure her into a trap. She's subsequently created other "kill-lists" of staff at her detention centre and seems to be trying to create some mythology about herself.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Jenkinson drugged another girl at a previous school before being moved to this school. Sounds like a lot of people on different levels failed to keep Brianna safe by ignoring how dangerous Jenkinson could be and not getting her the care she needed to get better. Was she receiving any form of psychiatric care? She needed serious help. Did her parents do anything to help her? They must have known something is seriously wrong with their child.

ZupZup

Jenkinson had drawn up a kill list which did have others on it who weren’t trans. What I will say though, is whilst it wasn’t related to their motives… message transcripts show that Jenkinson did have a weird obsession with Brianna, which she likely wouldn’t have had were she not trans.

I suspect if Brianna hadn’t been trans, it’s unlikely Jenkinson would have befriended her and she probably wouldn’t have ended up as their primary target. For that reason, I think it’s unfair to make out like her being trans isn’t relevant.

buchansleftleg

Jenkinson had drawn up a kill list which did have others on it who weren’t trans. What I will say though, is whilst it wasn’t related to their motives… message transcripts show that Jenkinson did have a weird obsession with Brianna, which she likely wouldn’t have had were she not trans.

I suspect if Brianna hadn’t been trans, it’s unlikely Jenkinson would have befriended her and she probably wouldn’t have ended up as their primary target. For that reason, I think it’s unfair to make out like her being trans isn’t relevant.
Judges summing up just mentioned they plotted to kill another boy first, then tried to murder Brianna on 28th January but she couldn't visit them. Sadly she was free when they killed her 2 weeks later in February.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yep. Crime is always going to happen regardless but it would be lessened if there was more of an emphasis on treating the socio-economic factors that often lead to it, instead of just pure punishments.
What are the socio-economic factors in this case?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What are the socio-economic factors in this case?
It was more of a sweeping statement about crime in general really. I don't know enough about the people in this case particularly but I know a lot of crime stems from poorer communities that aren't given the same chances as others. Some people are just messed up regardless of circumstance though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It was more of a sweeping statement about crime in general really. I don't know enough about the people in this case particularly but I know a lot of crime stems from poorer communities that aren't given the same chances as others. Some people are just messed up regardless of circumstance though.
Fair. Cheers.

That'sHernandez

They are, but there's also not the services to deal with those people in a way that reduces the risk to the rest of us because the money is funnelled into things that deal with the symptoms as opposed to the cause.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They are, but there's also not the services to deal with those people in a way that reduces the risk to the rest of us because the money is funnelled into things that deal with the symptoms as opposed to the cause.
Yeah 100% agree. Look at the Nottingham attacks as a recent example. Quite a clear pattern of unpredictable and escalating behaviour and nothing was done.

TheLiverBird

Life with minimum 22 years for Scarlet

life with minimum 20 years for Eddie

Let’s hope they never be released and they suffer significantly whilst rotting behind those bars

Oranges038

Gary Plauché had the right idea. He got his revenge on live television and all.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This is the key thing really. Fundamentally anyone who commits a serious crime like this is a function of their childhood - whether that’s nurture (the environment they grow up in) or nature (the mental considerations there born with). Both of these can be managed if identified and funded. The issue is money is, as you say, funnelled to punishing those who commit the crime than the services which would stop it ever happening. I don’t know how the economics of both compare, although obviously it isn’t and shouldn’t just be an economic question.

Obviously though, if and when people do go on to commit such crimes, they should feel the wrath of punishment.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This is the key thing really. Fundamentally anyone who commits a serious crime like this is a function of their childhood - whether that’s nurture (the environment they grow up in) or nature (the mental considerations there born with). Both of these can be managed if identified and funded. The issue is money is, as you say, funnelled to punishing those who commit the crime than the services which would stop it ever happening. I don’t know how the economics of both compare, although obviously it isn’t and shouldn’t just be an economic question.

Obviously though, if and when people do go on to commit such crimes, they should feel the wrath of punishment.
Sometimes they are just evil, money doesn't solve everything, for every example of this kind of crime there are millions of other examples where it doesn't happen even with similar or worse circumstances