Bring back Ruud

Mainoldo

Honestly do his 3 transfer requests not mean anything to you? His image is tarnished for me after the manager revealed the extent to which he wanted to leave. Funny how people seem to bury facts like this under their fanboiism
150 goals!!! Have a nap.... and stop hating!!

WeasteDevil

It's clear some people are asking for Ruud to be signed for sentimental reasons, or because he was a great player in his prime. How many have seen him play over the last year, and what are you basing your judgements on?

I'm surprised our expectations are so low these days that we are asking for another veteran striker not in his prime to be our saviour.
I think that you are taking it on too simple a level. The injuries are a concern, but they were the first time around, but don't necessarily take it that people are that simple to want this for sentimental reasons. It's known that he's going to be on the market, will be cheap, and that he's a player that can work in both the classic 10 and 9 roles. He's a goal scorer, he can hold it up, he can play with his back towards and away from the goal, we have a serious problem scoring goals. Why the hell not? This is a player that broke records for us, and being a veteran doesn't necessarily have any impact upon the situation. Sheringham was a right mistake wasn't he?

We need another centre forward, so unless we are going to sign David Villa or something of that ilk, a player like Ruud would be the best short term option.

EricaNo7

I think that you are taking it on too simple a level. The injuries are a concern, but they were the first time around, but don't necessarily take it that people are that simple to want this for sentimental reasons. It's known that he's going to be on the market, will be cheap, and that he's a player that can work in both the classic 10 and 9 roles. He's a goal scorer, he can hold it up, he can play with his back towards and away from the goal, we have a serious problem scoring goals. Why the hell not? This is a player that broke records for us, and being a veteran doesn't necessarily have any impact upon the situation. Sheringham was a right mistake wasn't he?

We need another centre forward, so unless we are going to sign David Villa or something of that ilk, a player like Ruud would be the best short term option.
but shouldn't we be hoping owen can do the same thing? surely it's time to give him a prolonged run in the team?

WeasteDevil

but shouldn't we be hoping owen can do the same thing? surely it's time to give him a prolonged run in the team?
He's just a different type of player. Rooney and Berbatov end up in midfield half of the time, and Owen is an out and out number 9 that even he has come looking for the ball in midfield. There is nobody to hold it up. Owen is too frail, too small to fulfil that role, it's not what he's about. We need a player like Ruud in the middle right now, because this is the worst set of wing players that we've had in a very long time.

WeasteDevil

Ronaldo masked a lot of deficiencies that we now find ourselves staring in the face at. The midfield is poor my the standards set over the past 10 years, we have no out and out striker, there is very little trickery on the wings, and all of our defenders are crocked.

The fact that we can still hold ourselves up to second and maybe even first is a show at the general quality of the squad, but there is not much special within it, there is no Cantona, there is no Ronaldo type of player, Giggs and Scholes don't cut it match in match out anymore. I'm actually looking forward to the next 5 years, and I'm not joking by that.

EricaNo7

He's just a different type of player. Rooney and Berbatov end up in midfield half of the time, and Owen is an out and out number 9 that even he has come looking for the ball in midfield. There is nobody to hold it up. Owen is too frail, too small to fulfil that role, it's not what he's about. We need a player like Ruud in the middle right now, because this is the worst set of wing players that we've had in a very long time.
yes that's it.
one thing united have always had are excellent wingers - until now it seems

WeasteDevil

yes that's it.
one thing united have always had are excellent wingers - until now it seems
Width has always been the United trademark, fast, skilful, fullback crossovers, wonderful crosses coming in all the time, peppering the opposition. It's not there anymore. Valencia most of the time hits the defender with the ball and wins a corner at best, Giggs hardly plays on the wing any more, Obertan is, well, Obertan - he's still a kid. Nani you never see.

Godfather

Ronaldo masked a lot of deficiencies that we now find ourselves staring in the face at. The midfield is poor my the standards set over the past 10 years, we have no out and out striker, there is very little trickery on the wings, and all of our defenders are crocked.

The fact that we can still hold ourselves up to second and maybe even first is a show at the general quality of the squad, but there is not much special within it, there is no Cantona, there is no Ronaldo type of player, Giggs and Scholes don't cut it match in match out anymore. I'm actually looking forward to the next 5 years, and I'm not joking by that.
That's a very good post Weaste

Godfather

Width has always been the United trademark, fast, skilful, fullback crossovers, wonderful crosses coming in all the time, peppering the opposition. It's not there anymore. Valencia most of the time hits the defender with the ball and wins a corner at best, Giggs hardly plays on the wing any more, Obertan is, well, Obertan - he's still a kid. Nani you never see.
Well your style of play has pretty much changed since then (compared to how we played when the likes of Ruud where here)

But still I see your point, thing is, even with players who were able to produce great crosses consistenlty form the flanks, I don't see who would be able to get on the end of it.

Ruud_boy_10

It's clear some people are asking for Ruud to be signed for sentimental reasons, or because he was a great player in his prime. How many have seen him play over the last year, and what are you basing your judgements on?

I'm surprised our expectations are so low these days that we are asking for another veteran striker not in his prime to be our saviour.
True, but at the same time I still think he could do a job for us on a short term deal.

IMHO he's still better than Owen and Berbatov and I cant think of a better option in the short term.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Spot on Weaste.

Mainoldo

:rolleyes:

so the transfer requests didnt bother you? The Club comes before any player, no matter how many goals he scored for us. Read the thread and explain where "im hating" ?
No. He stayed didn't he.... I don't see Liverpool fans hating on Gerrard. At the end of the day we decided when it was time for him to leave not Ruud. I just don't see why you would continue to judge a player because he was ready to leave, at the end of the day he handed in a transfer request and after it got denied still went on to score 20 league goals... Maybe Berbatov should hand in one too.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
No. He stayed didn't he.... I don't see Liverpool fans hating on Gerrard. At the end of the day we decided when it was time for him to leave not Ruud. I just don't see why you would continue to judge a player because he was ready to leave, at the end of the day he handed in a transfer request and after it got denied still went on to score 20 league goals... Maybe Berbatov should hand in one too.
:lol::lol:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
No. He stayed didn't he.... I don't see Liverpool fans hating on Gerrard.
Gerrard is still at the club. Van Nistelrooy left after a year and arguablly only stayed because of Ferguson's stubborness.

Anyway transfer requests don't bother me as much as acting like a dick, sulking like a bitch and causing rifts in the dressing room just to get your way.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Yes, let's ignore the 3 transfer requests and get him back here ASAP. 2005 truly was a glory year for the club.

Decotron

so because he didnt leave we should just forget about his numerous reqests?
and Liverpool fans did turn on Gerard at the time so again I dont see your point? or what your trying to defend. Im not judging anyone they are just the facts like it or not.

The Gerard situation was a different one completely.

Mainoldo

so because he didnt leave we should just forget about his numerous reqests?
and Liverpool fans did turn on Gerard at the time so again I dont see your point? or what your trying to defend. Im not judging anyone they are just the facts like it or not.

The Gerard situation was a different one completely.
What I'm trying to get at is I couldn't give a flying shit how many transfer requests he put in.. Tell me you don't want him because his old or he's past it but to bring up an arguement about not wanting him because he put in a couple unproven transfers requests is just a bag a shit!!! Man people have too much time if they hold grudges over facts they aren't even 100 % sure about. All I wanted to know is why do you care?

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
I wouldnt say anything about him but to be honest I wouldnt have him back
That's fair enough. But I've noticed some hatred or bitterness on this and on the other Ruud thread that makes you question some supporters, especially the older more mature ones.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
I don't understand your fanboyism. It's been nearly four years since he left.
The word 'fanboy' is way overused. So obviously anybody who treats a legend with due respect has to be a fanboy?

I accept that people don't want him back because obviously he's not at his best anymore. But it's pathetic when people play down his importance and Nistelrooy has put it rightly, it's really embarrassing. He carried our club for many years and for this alone he deserves some respect and it's not like he's pulled a Tevez by bad-mouthing United.

pete_8

All I would say is that we need a quality striker..Someone who can do it for us..He has the pedigree..Get him on loan for the rest of the season..Or buy a world class striker..(But who is available)?

Franq

although im a big fan of ruud, i am sure he wont even consider coming back because he wants first team football (as good as guaranteed) and is - like SAF - a very proud, and maybe even stubborn, guy. He left United because of his detoriated relation with SAF (which had its effect on the pitch as well), so unless SAF comes begging (imagine the chance of that going to happen), he wont be coming back...

Decotron

What I'm trying to get at is I couldn't give a flying shit how many transfer requests he put in.. Tell me you don't want him because his old or he's past it but to bring up an arguement about not wanting him because he put in a couple unproven transfers requests is just a bag a shit!!! Man people have too much time if they hold grudges over facts they aren't even 100 % sure about. All I wanted to know is why do you care?
What a childish post

So by your logic when one of our senior players puts in numerous transfer requests it doesnt matter? No effect on squad morale? Good example to our younger players?

As a player RVN was a hero for us. Not once in this thread have I said anything different. But his behavior was cnutish. Simple as. These are facts not presumptions.

Rio met Kenyon over dinner and was crucified but Ruud should be forgiven for putting in 100% confirmed transfer requests?

Not sure which it is out of Double standards or Fanboiism...

I don't understand the hate towards a guy who carried the club for 5 years.
I dont know where people are getting this shit from? No one in this thread said anything along those lines. Ruud was a hero for us thats also a confirmed fact Doesnt mean Im going to stick my head in the sand and ignore the things he did against the clubs interests

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'd have taken him ahead of Owen, and I'd take him back to replace Owen at the end of the season if Sir Alex still thinks some players are going to cost too much or he wants to give the younger players more time to mature.

He's definitely still a better player than Owen I think, and I agree with Weaste that we could do with someone who holds the ball up as well as finishes.

Never going to happen though so I don't see why people keep bringing it up. Sure it'd be nice for some people but so would signing Messi, but I'm not going to start a thread on the idea because neither are going to happen.

Mainoldo

What a childish post

So by your logic when one of our senior players puts in numerous transfer requests it doesnt matter? No effect on squad morale? Good example to our younger players?

As a player RVN was a hero for us. Not once in this thread have I said anything different. But his behavior was cnutish. Simple as. These are facts not presumptions.

Rio met Kenyon over dinner and was crucified but Ruud should be forgiven for putting in 100% confirmed transfer requests?

Not sure which it is out of Double standards or Fanboiism...

I dont know where people are getting this shit from? No one in this thread said anything along those lines. Ruud was a hero for us thats also a confirmed fact Doesnt mean Im going to stick my head in the sand and ignore the things he did against the clubs interests
Your just boring me now.. So we will just have to agree to disagree!!

Northstand

That's fair enough. But I've noticed some hatred or bitterness on this and on the other Ruud thread that makes you question some supporters, especially the older more mature ones.
As an older, more mature one, I'd like to echo Crerand Legend and say I certainly don't dislike Ruud, but I'm not sure I'd want him back either. More to the point, there's no way on earth Fergie would have him back.

Devilton

no fecking way...

When horses get old, they're either sent to the stud farm, or to the glue factory. Manchester United is neither. I appreciate what RVN has done for the club so i'm going to suggest he go to a stud farm. With that being said. AC Milan is down the road and to the left...