View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That would take massive balls for Ineos AND the Glazers to say no to that.

It's just I feel that Bruno can still play until he's 35 on a deeper role. And he's always fit also.
Tbh he quite possibly could, but who knows whether he would want to play HERE until he’s 35 anyway? He’s not from here, and we’ve not exactly delivered him much success. He may wish to go elsewhere in a couple of years, for a significantly lesser fee than we could get now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Some of you will never learn, how are people still falling for the Bruno trap.

A lot of this thread reads like last year's Rashford thread. "Take him out of the side and who will score all our goals" well we are scoring at a similarly poor rate to last season and that's with Rashford providing feck all.

The Bruno illusion is thinking you can't get better by relacing him because of his stats. He affects the game as a lone ranger, both on and off the ball. When he first joined, he was the connecting piece of the team, now he doesn't do that at all, he just has good moments of football that just seem to exist within the course of the game but there is no synergy with the team.

It's what the stats will never show you. Odegaard knits things together for Arsenal, without him Saka and Ben White would be nowhere near as effective. The only connection Bruno has is the ball into the channel to Rashford.

He's been the centrepiece of this team for the last four years. Why would you continue to build around something that has not worked. You can say we don't have to build around him but with his style and position, he will be central to a team's attack by default.

Sell now while we can get a good price and commit properly to a rebuild.
Every Bruno thread ever. They're all the same.

lex talionis

Anyone looking to overhaul the squad is not going to prioritise getting rid of the most creative player in the team.
It normally would be daft to get rid of your best player, which undeniably Bruno is at Old Trafford. But if we are going to overhaul the squad, we are talking about a 2-3 year process. Will Bruno, who will be 30 in September, want to be a part of a 2-3 year overhaul? Probably not. When that overhaul is complete, when he's either 32 or 33, he's not going to have the engine that he has now.

Bullsick

[/QUOTE]

Alls I'll say is I never taken a like to him as a person or player from the start. In his defence I think many foreign players react adversely to English conditions & he's probably tried his best to adapt but he simply doesn't belong here & he knows it. Also many are victims of our positive discrimination policy towards foreign players, for example the unprecedented abuse of Maguire, Ronaldo & Antony are accused of badly abusing women & while we all sit back in silence & wait for what the media trundle up next Greenwood's thrown under a bus. Drift my catch?? I can feel the Politically Correct Brigade breathing down my neck as I say this so you know, I reckon if we cultivated a more home-grown pool of talent there wouldn't be so much of this petulant nonsense (Salah) we've become accustomed to with the tourists, but we know it's here to stay & it's by design. One more thing, what really gets my goat is the abuse our own players get on the United fan-channels, especially Paddock, United View & Goldbridge....So Fernandes for me is just symptomatic of a larger problem & a player I happen to dislike. Btw I loved Captain Antonio Valencia & use Eric's name on all my passwords.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Alls I'll say is I never taken a like to him as a person or player from the start. In his defence I think many foreign players react adversely to English conditions & he's probably tried his best to adapt but he simply doesn't belong here & he knows it. Also many are victims of our positive discrimination policy towards foreign players, for example the unprecedented abuse of Maguire, Ronaldo & Antony are accused of badly abusing women & while we all sit back in silence & wait for what the media trundle up next Greenwood's thrown under a bus. Drift my catch?? I can feel the Politically Correct Brigade breathing down my neck as I say this so you know, I reckon if we cultivated a more home-grown pool of talent there wouldn't be so much of this petulant nonsense (Salah) we've become accustomed to with the tourists, but we know it's here to stay & it's by design. One more thing, what really gets my goat is the abuse our own players get on the United fan-channels, especially Paddock, United View & Goldbridge....So Fernandes for me is just symptomatic of a larger problem & a player I happen to dislike. Btw I loved Captain Antonio Valencia & use Eric's name on all my passwords.
eh?

Brightonian

It normally would be daft to get rid of your best player, which undeniably Bruno is at Old Trafford. But if we are going to overhaul the squad, we are talking about a 2-3 year process. Will Bruno, who will be 30 in September, want to be a part of a 2-3 year overhaul? Probably not. When that overhaul is complete, when he's either 32 or 33, he's not going to have the engine that he has now.
Yes, so you sign/promote players who you hope will force him out of the first-choice spot over that period. You don't sell and immediately have to replace your best player.

lex talionis

Yes, so you sign/promote players who you hope will force him out of the first-choice spot over that period. You don't sell and immediately have to replace your best player.
We've arguably done that already with the signing of Mount, who thrives in no other role than Bruno's.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Tbh he quite possibly could, but who knows whether he would want to play HERE until he’s 35 anyway? He’s not from here, and we’ve not exactly delivered him much success. He may wish to go elsewhere in a couple of years, for a significantly lesser fee than we could get now.
True. It would probably take a minimum of few years of flawless recruitments in manager and players for United to be back to the top. And if there's a hard to resist offer for us and irresistible wage for him, it's best for both sides.

Ideally we upgrade other dross of players first. But those other dross might not fetch that much.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That’s like the flat track bully nonsense. Playing for a poor team like United we’re almost always on our back foot in big games, so a player like Bruno - who needs a platform to perform - will always struggle. Besides, on the rare occasions we have performed well as a team in big games these last few years Bruno is always at the heart of all our best attacking football.
This season’s really just been the same as previous seasons. Some good games, one great game and a load of average to shit games. With the good/great games almost always against piss poor opposition.

You could make a case for him being one of our better performers but only because everyone else has been so crap/injured. And it keeps coming back to the fact that truly great players - the type of player Bruno is supposed to be - inspire and elevate the performance of everyone around them. Especially in the toughest fixtures. Which is laughably far removed from what’s been actually happening.

in a huge game, under immense pressure, against top opposition, by taking his personal performance up a notch. When did you last see that from Bruno?

Because if we go to the opposite extreme - big matches against top teams where he was either ineffectual or actively bad - well then it's an awful lot easier to start coming up with examples...

Big games, against top opposition, where Bruno stood up to be counted. Proper game changing performances. The sort of thing you'd expect from the best player at a top football club.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

There are players at other clubs who - in the here and now - are producing the big match performances we should be getting from Bruno on a much more regular basis.

Turns out taking 10 penalties (it is 10, right?) in a season is good for a player's goals tally. Who'd have thunk it?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We've arguably done that already with the signing of Mount, who thrives in no other role than Bruno's.
I also think for the next few years we should be using Mainoo at #10/in the advanced midfielder role. I see Mainoo as a Scholes regen, a player who'll thrive as a CM later in his career but will play further forward for now.. For the time being I would relieve him of the duty of running up and down the pitch like a box to box midfielder.

Last edited:

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
He needs to move on if he wants to win titles etc, old Father Time is ticking louder for Bruno. He can’t wait for this club to get its act together, if it ever does.

Cessna

Bruno's goals alone, and his commitment on the field, makes it hard to hate him.
This thread is a lot of "chicken or the egg", where on one side you'd think that a better distributor and captain might better the players around.
On the other side, so many players fall (extremely) short of their projected best, so starting a cleanout with Bruno is madness.

Cessna

He needs to move on if he wants to win titles etc, old Father Time is ticking louder for Bruno. He can’t wait for this club to get its act together, if it ever does.
Yes, Manchester United, the selling academy where everyone employed tries the best find the best moves for the individuals. Perhaps scrap scouting fully and just have agents.

yorkshire red

To be honest I agree with the sentiment our team isn’t good enough for creative players to shine given how we have played in moments over the last few years, fernandes record of going missing in them is definitely a myth though looking at his goal/assist record over the years, quite new still to this forum but slightly to surprised to see the odd comparison with pogba appear from time to time in this regard, from memory pogbas given away laughable penalty’s to arsenal and Liverpool, been sent off against arsenal and Liverpool, getting subbed early against spurs after an abject performance and arguing with Jose (not sure eithers relationship with each other ever recovered from that night) getting subbed after a few minutes away to Liverpool (which admittedly couldn’t be helped) and even in the derby where he scored twice which is constantly used as an example of turning up in a big game the first half performance from himself was laughable (as was the rest of the team tbf) whilst unlucky in this regard he also missed a few big games around the 17 18 season due to injury or suspension, throughout the post fergie years I would go as far to say Mata has probably played at the highest level consistently in the big games as a creative midfielder, always thought he was good for a goal against the top teams !

mikeyt

Bruno may be our most creative force currently, but in this side that means very little. He isn't and never has been top tier in his position and any manager that wants to play possession based football cannot have Bruno in the side. We need a total overhaul of our attacking focal point if we're going to become more threatening and ultimately score more goals.

Bruno still has a re-sale value, he's nearly 30 and for me is more of a hinderance than a help in our longer term plans. If we can generate a reasonable fee (£50million+) he should absolutely be sold this summer.

ROFLUTION

Imo he wont win anything by going to other clubs neither. Real Madrid will be stacked with good players next year, and I doubt they on top of their other signings will spend 50m+ on Bruno Fernandes as they have Jude Bellingham. There's nowhere in England he can go and win stuff neither I think. (Arsenal have Ødegaard).

Unless it's leagues that almost have monopoly on the title (Bayern / PSG).

Hughes35

I think in reality the answer is quite simple. You don't actively look to sell Bruno (Unlike a lot of the squad), but any offers of 80Million + need to be seriously seriously considered as part of a rebuild.

If no offers come in then you keep him and build the rest of the squad while keeping on eye on ensuring you promote or bring in a successor.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Imo he wont win anything by going to other clubs neither. Real Madrid will be stacked with good players next year, and I doubt they on top of their other signings will spend 50m+ on Bruno Fernandes as they have Jude Bellingham. There's nowhere in England he can go and win stuff neither I think. (Arsenal have Ødegaard).

Unless it's leagues that almost have monopoly on the title (Bayern / PSG).
Good point, although when you’re approaching 30 any silverware is a bonus I guess regardless of the league.

Sylar

Of course he's a doubt for palace, everybody else has been a doubt through the season and he's just found form