2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lex talionis

Bruno has moments of greatness, but it is frustrating to watch him make so many poor decisions.

The first goal Bournemouth scored on us started with a ridiculous ball by Bruno to McTominay they got easily intercepted in our final third. One could argue that McTominay is shit and that is hard to deny, but Bruno has to know by now that McTominay is incapable of handling a pass like under pressure. Bournemouth were pressing us and Bruno made the wrong choice.

We can back this up and blame ETH for playing McTominay in the first place, and we can blame the club and think rightly so for poor squad development — Martial, Sancho, Antony, McTominay and others are stealing a living — but here we are and Bruno, who is an outstanding footballer, puts in these brain dead decisions too often, which leads to chaos in terms of effective counters by our opponents.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

This is just… horseshit… in a thread full of horseshit.
When they hate their own player so much that they totally disregard the importance of work rate. "Overrated attribute. Should be marathon runner instead" :lol:
This thread is such horse shit. Bruno getting dragged because the team he plays in is garbage with garbage coaching, despite him being the main point of anything good that comes out of us in the past 5 years. But because he can't magically make us consistent title challengers, it's all on him? Oh and then for people to question his work rate or intentions is laughable too.
This.

zaafi

This thread is such horse shit. Bruno getting dragged because the team he plays in is garbage with garbage coaching, despite him being the main point of anything good that comes out of us in the past 5 years. But because he can't magically make us consistent title challengers, it's all on him? Oh and then for people to question his work rate or intentions is laughable too.
It's funny how this only applies to Bruno, but when it comes to other players, it's their own fault and their weaknesses that come to light. Same can be said for work rate, he is the only one that gets praised for it, but if Mount were to press intensely, he'd be called a headless chicken who does nothing but run around.
Don't get me wrong, Bruno should absolutely be praised for his work rate and stamina, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticised for all of his other weaknesses, especially when it results in counter attacks, chances for the opposition or even goals like when Bournemouth scored their first goal. And when a player splits the fanbase as much as Bruno does, surely, this thread isn't "horse shit" when there are so many people that can see he really isn't that good of a player some people seem to think he is. He is excellent at creating chances, good vision and great passing, although it is very inconsistent. He works hard, but ultimately it is very ineffective as he is extremely easy to dribble past, and he is weak as shit. I don't understand how he is so highly rated with so many clear deficiencies. Being one of the few players in our team that is able to contribute offensively isn't saying much, and if that's how we're going to set the standards, then we're in trouble for the foreseeable future.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's funny how this only applies to Bruno, but when it comes to other players, it's their own fault and their weaknesses that come to light. Same can be said for work rate, he is the only one that gets praised for it, but if Mount were to press intensely, he'd be called a headless chicken who does nothing but run around.
Don't get me wrong, Bruno should absolutely be praised for his work rate and stamina, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticised for all of his other weaknesses, especially when it results in counter attacks, chances for the opposition or even goals like when Bournemouth scored their first goal. And when a player splits the fanbase as much as Bruno does, surely, this thread isn't "horse shit" when there are so many people that can see he really isn't that good of a player some people seem to think he is. He is excellent at creating chances, good vision and great passing, although it is very inconsistent. He works hard, but ultimately it is very ineffective as he is extremely easy to dribble past, and he is weak as shit. I don't understand how he is so highly rated with so many clear deficiencies. Being one of the few players in our team that is able to contribute offensively isn't saying much, and if that's how we're going to set the standards, then we're in trouble for the foreseeable future.
Anyone calling Mount a headless chicken is dumb. His problem is clearly fitness, and being in the same position as Bruno. But he's an excellent presser and a good player.

I'm just not going to go in on Bruno too hard even if he has the odd stinker because year after year since he's joined, he has been our best player with a clear and noticeable drop whenever he's not in the pitch. So I want the rest of the team to get up to his standards of work rate, availability, output, quality that he can reach. I want the coaching minimize the weaknesses from everyone's games and highlight their strengths. And generally, I'm not going to pinpoint our best player as the rest why we are shit. Bruno isn't the reason our rest defence is horrendous, Bruno isn't the reason we don't have a coordinated press, Bruno isn't the reason why we significantly underperform our xG or why strikers don't make the right runs often enough. Bruno occasionally will have bad decision making in the final third as will everyone, and sure criticize him for that. Criticize the games he loses his cool and starts spamming long balls. But he's been one of the few players we have over the last few years who absolutely is good enough to be apart of a top team, has produced, and has stayed fit to the required level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Following the recent thread theme of stats for people with agendas to ignore it’s interesting to compare Bruno and Odegaard from this season, seeing as this is the first time Odegaard has had to play with only one midfielder behind him. Albeit someone who shits on every central midfielder at United from a great height.

Summary (all per 90, Bruno on left).

G+A = 0.38 vs 0.47
G+A (-PK) = 0.32 vs 0.32

Bruno’s ratio of goals:assists is higher. No shit, Sherlock. Have you seen who he’s creating for?!

Not on FBRef but worth a mention.

Big chance creation = 9 vs 5 (total, not per 90)

Pass completion % = 72% vs 84%
But, progressive distance = 302m vs 183m
And, Bruno takes 2.5x as many dead balls plus attempts 3x as many long balls. All of which would reduce the pass completion for anyone.

Touches = 76 vs 62

Tackles = 2.2 vs 1.6
Bruno also wins a higher % of tackles he attempts = 40% vs 29% (wasn’t someone moaning about him being weak in the tackle? Go figure)

Interceptions = 0.7 vs 0.3

None of this quite fits with the narrative being propagated on here about Bruno not being fit to wash Odegaard’s boots, right? Or that he’s having a catastrophic season and one of the main factors in our demise?

And I surely don’t need to remind anyone with half a brain that these stats should be seen in the context of having the luxury of playing behind the likes of Martinelli, Jesus and Saka (vs Rashford, Hojlund/Martial and Antony) or ahead of Arsenal’s back four, with Rice mopping up behind you. I mean, come on*…

Anyhoo. I think it’s interesting stuff. I fully expect the usual suspects to do their “the only stats that matter are those that support my opinion” and/or “this is why stats are so misleading” routine. So fill yer boots, lads.

*Oh and McTominay… just… McTominay…

Last edited:

zaafi

Well, I'm very excited to see Pogue's next stats presentation so we can see how many tackles Bruno makes per 90 min. That will sure show us that Bruno did, in fact, have a wonderful performance against Bayern!

Lyng

Woeful. Terrible passes and to quote Stig Tøfting: Didn't create a single actual chance. Him slowly jogging back omsider in the end summed it up.

the_cliff

Following the recent thread theme of stats for people with agendas to ignore it’s interesting to compare Bruno and Odegaard from this season, seeing as this is the first time Odegaard has had to play with only one midfielder behind him. Albeit someone who shits on every central midfielder at United from a great height.

G+A = 0.38 vs 0.47
G+A (-PK) = 0.32 vs 0.32

Bruno’s ratio of goals:assists is higher. No shit, Sherlock. Have you seen who he’s creating for?!

And, Bruno takes 2.5x as many dead balls plus attempts 3x as many long balls. All of which would reduce the pass completion for anyone.

Touches = 76 vs 62

Tackles = 2.2 vs 1.6
Bruno also wins a higher % of tackles he attempts = 40% vs 29% (wasn’t someone moaning about him being weak in the tackle? Go figure)

None of this quite fits with the narrative being propagated on here about Bruno not being fit to wash Odegaard’s boots, right? Or that he’s having a catastrophic season and one of the main factors in our demise?

And I surely don’t need to remind anyone with half a brain that these stats should be seen in the context of having the luxury of playing behind the likes of Martinelli, Jesus and Saka (vs Rashford, Hojlund/Martial and Antony) or ahead of Arsenal’s back four, with Rice mopping up behind you. I mean, come on*…

Anyhoo. I think it’s interesting stuff. I fully expect the usual suspects to do their “the only stats that matter are those that support my opinion” and/or “this is why stats are so misleading” routine. So fill yer boots, lads.

Emmm...

Did you watch Arsenal last season ?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

G+A = 0.38 vs 0.47
G+A (-PK) = 0.32 vs 0.32

Touches = 76 vs 62

Tackles = 2.2 vs 1.6

Take your stats and shove them. He's trash and we will go nowhere with this fraud as captain.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I cant see any future successful United side having him in a prominent role. He's just far too erratic and can be a tactical hinderance.

NZT-One

He plays way too deep for my liking. He was alright today, nothing great, nothing too awful. Glad he kept his cool a little better today. I think, it is pointless to expect him to play a "full" midfield position. He should be a 10 that falls back into midfield if situation requires it. As a full midfielder he just isn't capable enough defensively. But not his fault he is put in this position I guess

sirAlexsglasses

I genuinely believe he got booked so that he would miss the Liverpool game, he knows we are up for a hiding and wants no part of it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Where’s the big game performances? You’d love one good game in five from him…but you’d be dreaming or going off stats.

zaafi

Nah, last season Xhaka and Partey both did a ton of defensive work. Very different to their set up this season.
You just spout out whatever you want, don't you?

Xhaka was playing more offensively and he was one of the worst midfielders defensively. He absolutely did not do a "ton" of defensive work.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The day he leaves will be a good one, we'll be on our way to actually building a football team again.

Sick of the poster boy for Moments FC.

the_cliff

Nah, last season Xhaka and Partey both did a ton of defensive work. Very different to their set up this season.
Disagree. Xhaka and Odegaard were both 8s. Both in front of Partey. I find your comparison and defence of Bruno baffling. You're saying Bruno played behind a single midfielder when the majority of last season he played behind 2 Casemiro/Eriksen. Eriksen despite not being a traditional 6 played deeper for us than Xhaka ever was for Arsenal last season.

You can ask any Arsenal fan on this forum and they'll agree with me.

You're taking players positions at face value thinking because Xhaka is a more defensive player than Eriksen he was playing deeper when that isn't true at all. Last season Eriksen was a 6 and Xhaka was an 8. Bruno payed in front of a 2 man base and Odegaard payed in front of a one man base.

acid_fuji

He plays way too deep for my liking. He was alright today, nothing great, nothing too awful. Glad he kept his cool a little better today. I think, it is pointless to expect him to play a "full" midfield position. He should be a 10 that falls back into midfield if situation requires it. As a full midfielder he just isn't capable enough defensively. But not his fault he is put in this position I guess
well we have much better threat upfront in form of Mctominay

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Disagree. Xhaka and Odegaard were both 8s. Both in front of Partey. I find your comparison and defence of Bruno baffling. You're saying Bruno played behind a single midfielder when the majority of last season he played behind 2 Casemiro/Eriksen. Eriksen despite not being a traditional 6 played deeper for us than Xhaka ever was for Arsenal last season.

You can ask any Arsenal fan on this forum and they'll agree with me.

You're taking players positions at face value thinking because Xhaka is a more defensive player than Eriksen he was playing deeper when that isn't true at all. Last season Eriksen was a 6 and Xhaka was an 8. Bruno payed in front of a 2 man base and Odegaard payed in front of a one man base.
Eh? Please re-read my post. I’m comparing stats from this season when Bruno and Odegaard have both been playing a formation with only one central midfielder screening the defence.

If you think Odegaard also did that last season, then fine. I’m actually using this change in approach from Arsenal this season in his defence!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's probably been one of my fav players post SAF but he's got a fair few major shortcoming when it comes to actually having him be the main midfield figure for a successful side, let alone being the leader.

I get a sense after tonight that this is the beginning of the end for a fair few players now with the new sporting project coming in. I mean, it has to be.

A whole reset should be coming in the next few transfer windows.

the_cliff

Eh? Please re-read my post. I’m comparing stats from this season when Bruno and Odegaard have both been playing a formation with only one central midfielder screening the defence. If you think Odegaard also did that last season, then fine. I’m actually using this change in approach from Arsenal this season in his defence!
Yes but you're still comparing a midfielder that plays in front of 1 holding to one that has played the majority of the season playing in front of 2 (Bruno). Also claiming Bruno plays in front of one to somehow make his stats more impressive.

Cabin Clown

Bruno needs to do better with the dead ball. He did nothing with the free's.

Hard to be too critical of him (and the team) when we played with 10 men (Scott).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yes but you're still comparing a midfielder that plays in front of 1 holding to one that has played the majority of the season playing in front of 2 (Bruno). Also claiming Bruno plays in front of one to somehow make his stats more impressive.
The feck are you on about now? Bruno’s been playing the majority of THIS SEASON in front of two holding midfielders? Have you been drinking?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I agree with you. However, Ten Hag has clearly does not like Bruno in that position much.

I say that because, even last season, there were a tonne of games where he preferred to play Bruno on the right rather than at #10. This season, since McTominay started scoring, Bruno's been expected to be the one doing more defensive work.

I agree with you, he was alright today. As, for the most part, he has been lately. However, Bruno is the creative hub of our team. If he's just alright then the team looks flat. I think we're losing too much making him play like a poundshop Modric. I also question whether Mainoo wouldn't be better at that role, given Mainoo's temperament and outlook on the game.

Bruno, to me, looks visibly like he's second guessing himself and almost trying to persuade himself to play the simple ball. I think it leads to a lot of the dilly dallying on the ball we've seen from him lately.

If this is the best Bruno we're going to get under this system, just drop him. Bruno OR McTominay. Not Bruno and McTominay.

lost7

I know he scored that belter against Galatasaray, but his finishing is so horrifically bad.

The Oracle

Asking him for a captain's performance tonight knowing that he won't be available for the weekend... and he shits the bed.

In a game of very few chances for us, blazes a fantastic chance over the bar and into row z (48:17 - he was found by Wan-Bissaka on the edge of the box in acres of space, and he showed zero composure and just blasted it skywards, and didn't even test the keeper).

Fast forward to 53:55 and he wins the ball on the edge of the box, and lashes a shot wide (again showing no composure), when there was Højlund running into the box and Garnacho to his left in the box, in much better positions to shoot; but Bruno ignored them.

When does he ever turn up in a big game?

We are going nowhere with Bruno Fernandes.

Robaldo

What happened to him being a threat from distance? Used to hit them so much better...

Really like Bruno but he's been terrible lately and Mount/Eriksen should both have come in for him if they were fit.

KeanoMagicHat

What happened to him being a threat from distance? Used to hit them so much better...

Really like Bruno but he's been terrible lately and Mount/Eriksen should both have come in for him if they were fit.
The previous CL game he scored a cracker from distance and hit the post with another.

He hasn’t been terrible lately, he’s been one of United’s better players, low standard but he should be first name to start.

Robaldo

The previous CL game he scored a cracker from distance and hit the post with another.

He hasn’t been terrible lately, he’s been one of United’s better players, low standard but he should be first name to start.
I get that but Muslera probably should have saved it and he's just been so wasteful with the ball in that position this season.

Amazing goal against Burnley to be fair, but he does try the spectacular an awful lot.

KeanoMagicHat

I get that but Muslera probably should have saved it and he's just been so wasteful with the ball in that position this season.

Amazing goal against Burnley to be fair, but he does try the spectacular an awful lot.
Part of the problem is I think he’s not in the areas he used to be in as much because McTominay has become the second striker so maybe he thinks he has to force it. Anyway he’s not without his problems but at least he still offers some genuine quality unlike many others in the squad