Bruno Fernandes Out?

Bruno is by far the best player we've got. His assists and his workrate is top notch. However I do wonder how much mileage he's still got playing that sort of football and whether he can adapt to a more energy saving style. There's also an issue on whether he wants to be part of a rebuild were he's probably not going to bear fruits off and if it makes sense to give him a huge salary/contract at this stage of his career.

Sorry for the late reply, was held up on work.

Romufc, I think we are going round in circles.

Bruno Fernandes is the epitome of Current Man United team. He's the captain. He plays the most matches, he takes penalties, he's the 'most creative player', probably you dont want to accept it but HOW WE PLAY IS BREAD AND BUTTER, Bruno Fernandes. First you need to accept this. From there everything else will fall into place why some things happen. This current football is what has brought immeasurable pain and anguish to us fans.

About People above..

Ed Woodward left in Feb 2022. Technically. It was announced that time. Since 2022, we've had ETH as a manager yet we have scored 115 goals in a season. City scored 90+ goals this season.
So Ed Woodward can't be blamed on our current problems for sure.

Richard Arnold already left, United have gone to a 60 point a season

We are in 2024. 2 years apart. Yet we have struggled in goals and leaking goals. Our GD in 2 years is - 1 and 0 :D

Yep, ETH has endured a - 1 GD in his 2 seasons as United manager, cumulatively.

Glazers have given out football control, same season we have lost record number of games.

I tell you, in all humbleness, even if we buy a new stadium tomorrow and play the same way we play we will not achieve even 70 points.

Our problem is we don't have a sustainable playing style. It's very easy to see and identify.

ETH has been unable to achieve it. Partly because of playing transition football.

Ineos are not foolish people, the indecisiveness regarding ETH future is absolutely warranted and genuine. If ETH was backed and believed in, why talk about his future yet it's the status quo. It means even the higher powers can see how unsustainable our club is.

I said it in June 2023, go to ETH thread. And I quote it again

"in 18 months (from that time) either ETH or Bruno leaves but both won't be here" not because I am a prophet or future reader but because it's extremely easy to see how we play is not sustainable in the long run. And it was even before Ratcliffe was confirmed as Co-owner.

Again I say it I know people will call me names, but I am 100% I will be vindicated

ETH or Bruno won't be here in the next 6 months, and if they will be here by end of January 2025, our pain and anguish as fans will be double of what we've endured in the last 12 months.

I understand what you are saying but I suggest you watch Portugal and tell me Bruno can only play one style of play.

I am shocked that you dont think the structure has anything to do with this, even you are not that naive to think that the sale happened in December, so the change is instant.. This is not football manager.

In reality, change takes time.

Now, you keep saying with / without Bruno.. do you think City are a worse team with Haaland? they got less points, less goals scored with Haaland in the team. You probably think he is rubbish because their points and goals tally went down?

Bruno is by far the best player we've got. His assists and his workrate is top notch. However I do wonder how much mileage he's still got playing that sort of football and whether he can adapt to a more energy saving style. There's also an issue on whether he wants to be part of a rebuild were he's probably not going to bear fruits off and if it makes sense to give him a huge salary/contract at this stage of his career.
Offering players a new 5-year bumper deal, who are aged 30 and have 3 years left on their contract is exactly what we should be avoiding. No matter how good they are.

For Arsenal I'm pretty sure the midfield would be Rice, Ødegaard, Bruno.

For City it's hard to say because Pep rotates a lot and De Bruyne is the better player, but Pep also likes players who can play in multiple positions. Seeing as Bruno has tried everything except fullback and goalkeeper (as far as I know), he would for sure find a role for Bruno.

For Arsenal I'm pretty sure the midfield would be Rice, Ødegaard, Bruno.

For City it's hard to say because Pep rotates a lot and De Bruyne is the better player, but Pep also likes players who can play in multiple positions. Seeing as Bruno has tried everything except fullback and goalkeeper (as far as I know), he would for sure find a role for Bruno.
That is a very open Arsenal midfield.

That is a very open Arsenal midfield.

It ain't. Rice is a DM and Ødegaard is a pure CM in my opinion. He also works well as an AM because he's so versatile, but I think his primary position is CM in the modern game. And the good thing with Bruno is that he has excellent defensive stats and workrate for an AM, so him and Ødegaard could switch roles quickly in the attacking phase or on the counter.

It ain't. Rice is a DM and Ødegaard is a pure CM in my opinion. He also works well as an AM because he's so versatile, but I think his primary position is CM. And the good thing with Bruno is that he has excellent defensive stats and workrate, so he and Ødegaard could switch roles quickly in the attacking phase or on the counter.

It is. Arteta literally tried this with Havertz Rice and Odegard. Realised it doesnt work, reverted to having 2 in midfield, Jorginho or Partey.

It is. Arteta literally tried this with Havertz Rice and Odegard. Realised it doesnt work, reverted to having 2 in midfield, Jorginho or Partey.

Bruno is better than Havertz though. I think it would work well, but it's all speculation.

Bruno is better than Havertz though. I think it would work well, but it's all speculation.

That's what Pep did, with 2 8's and inverting full backs. I am not saying it cant work, Ten Hag looked like he wants to play that too, if you recall with Mount and Bruno.

Out of all the problems the club need to slowly work through, this shouldn't be one of them.

He's been one of our most consistent players in the last few years and our club captain.

Just give him a new contract and move on.

We have people like Sancho, Maguire, Cas etc on 300k and above ffs. This is one player we don't have to worry too much about turning up.

Offering players a new 5-year bumper deal, who are aged 30 and have 3 years left on their contract is exactly what we should be avoiding. No matter how good they are.

There are three things that needs to be taken in consideration

a- the player's style of football. No one defeats father time however some styles tend to prolong players career as opposed to others. Carrick, Ibra and Teddy for example allowed their football brain to make most of the work which in turn allowed them more time at top flight as opposed to the likes of Park, Keane and Rooney. Bruno is more of the latter then of the former. He certainly has the skills to adapt to a different style of game but I do doubt whether he's got the mental discipline not to chase after every ball or to stay deep and let others do the heavy lifting.

b- Bruno might be asking for a big pay rise. Surely he wants that his last big contract is worth its while. The trouble with that is that contracts are extremely complicated these days and we haven't been wise in negotiating them. Players might have clauses in their contract that ensure that they are among the highest earners in the club which means that if Bruno gets a pay rise then someone like Rashford might automatically get a pay rise. Then there's of course the psychological aspect of it all. If by age 32 Bruno becomes a squad player then many first team players would expect to be paid at least at par to him. That what happened with the Sanchez drama. Players were knocking at the manager's office asking for their salary to reflect their effort as opposed to that of Alexis.

c- Players of Bruno's age are impatient. They would want to keep winning and have little tolerance towards rebuilds. Its not just about the emotional side but also in terms of finances. More success means more bonuses and at age 28-32 these bonuses might be their last. Its no wonder why some of SAF's fiercest clashes with players came when they hit that age (RVN, Keane, Rooney).

Bayern are already well-stocked in the no.10 position and there is no way Barca can part with anything like the £100m required with their financial issues.

The only serious concern would be from Saudi, but I highly doubt Bruno is ready to quit United and Europe just yet.

All just noise from his agent seeking a better contract. We hold all the cards here and shouldn't be pressured into offering better terms.

I love Bruno's attitude and think he is a really good player, but, I'd actually cash in on him.

Shy away from these last big contracts, but also, I think we really need to solidify our midfield. Go for the best defensive midfielder we can, as thats what we need more than anything in this side, but then we need to a partner next to Mainoo who can also hold onto the ball.

With the ball at his feet, Mainoo looks a class above the rest of our side. Getting out of tight situations etc.
We need to break the press and I don't think Bruno is the player we need

Bayern are already well-stocked in the no.10 position and there is no way Barca can part with anything like the £100m required with their financial issues.

The only serious concern would be from Saudi, but I highly doubt Bruno is ready to quit United and Europe just yet.

All just noise from his agent seeking a better contract. We hold all the cards here and shouldn't be pressured into offering better terms.
They have Musiala and Müller. The latter is in the twilight of his career and Kompany might fancy playing Musiala more on the left - think Ribéry. We simply don't know Kompany's plan, yet.

They might sell Gnabry and Coman and have Davies plaing on the wing. Who knows.

PS: Please Kompany, get Bernardo to Bayern. Thank you.

Some of the things you hear about our financial situation would nearly make you wonder if INEOS looked at our latest set of financial statements before they bought the club.

Hopefully its mostly just them trying to change the narrative about us, always being taken to the cleaners and whatnot. I find it a bit worrying.

We are not going to get £130m for Bruno.
We couldn't force Maguire and McTominay to go to West Ham. What makes you believe we can make Bruno go to Saudi Arabia if he doesn't want to go?

His agent is talking to big European clubs. They may well make a move but they won't be offering anything close to the kind of numbers you're reading from Caught Offside. If we're lucky we my get half.

So then you're asking if it's worth £65m to sell our main creative player. More or less a one in, one out with Mason Mount. To me that's laughable. But hey opinions and all that.

The entire discussion was around whether we should sell him IF Saudi offered that number. It was a hypothetical based on a rumor. Which is why I thought acting like "selling Bruno for 130m is a terrible decision" was a bit dramatic.

Some of the things you hear about our financial situation would nearly make you wonder if INEOS looked at our latest set of financial statements before they bought the club.

Hopefully its mostly just them trying to change the narrative about us, always being taken to the cleaners and whatnot. I find it a bit worrying.
It's a combination of trying to keep the wage bill down to cut costs due to the previous management burning through cash and INEOS not wanting to waste money on average players which we've done with the likes of Antony and Sancho. Berrada is the perfect chief executive for what INEOS are trying to do, he was a master negotiator at City and managed their wage bill really well. I think the days of United going out in the market and offering massive wages to average or older players are over.

2:33 Berrada and Txiki discussing contract renewals and salaries

Last edited:
If we are able to move casemiro and sancho, on top of varane and martial leaving, Bruno should definitely be our top earner.

Just you know, be smart and make it a contract for 3-4 years max.
Whether he's our best player not he might not fit with the new managers style and the others that decide that. It'd be silly to make any decisions until then.
That's assuming that's the plan which I'm sceptical of

Funny as I take it all as it signals they knew prior to the takeover the state of our finances and decided to do what any corporation does in a takeover, cut cost and restructure overall expenditure.

That's what Pep did, with 2 8's and inverting full backs. I am not saying it cant work, Ten Hag looked like he wants to play that too, if you recall with Mount and Bruno.

Thing is you need those 8’s to both be effective quickly taking the ball on the turn in tight spaces and either running with it or distributing quickly, and it’s a pretty disciplined positional role. Seems like a waste of what Bruno does well (floating and finding his own spaces, making runs in beyond the forward line, playing “freely”) while potentially exposing his main weaknesses (he’s not great with the ball in tight spaces and can be somewhat ill disciplined in his positional play).

If we are able to move casemiro and sancho, on top of varane and martial leaving, Bruno should definitely be our top earner.

Just you know, be smart and make it a contract for 3-4 years max.

Doesn’t he already have 3 years left? Extending into his mid 30’s would be fecking stupid considering that’s EXACTLY what we are trying to move away from after doing it for a decade.

Doesn’t he already have 3 years left? Extending into his mid 30’s would be fecking stupid considering that’s EXACTLY what we are trying to move away from after doing it for a decade.
This - there is zero reason to extend. Club has all the leverage here. Some of our fans never learn.

Didn't expect so much media noise and bs around Bruno this summer...but why not! it will fill the Cafe for a few weeks at least.

But it's a bit of an odd angle to try and get parity with Sancho, Casemiro and Rashford when all 3 of those could be leaving (2 out of 3 very much with one foot out the door)

With Varane gone, DDG gone last summer, once Casemiro/Sancho it booted out then he will be close to top of the list wage wise.

This - there is zero reason to extend. Club has all the leverage here. Some of our fans never learn.

He just wants more money, shorter / same duration will be fine by him I assume. 3 yr + 1yr club option at 300-350k p/w and he'll be happy to stay. Arguable if he deserves that. If you don't give him that he'll be unhappy and might want to leave.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/rankings/player/_/year/2024/sort/cash_base

Has the list of the highest paid EPL players. Players with less talent than him are getting paid more.

Seeing as Bruno has tried everything except fullback and goalkeeper (as far as I know), he would for sure find a role for Bruno.

Uh, he can literally only play one position - the 10. He can’t play in midfield and he’s not that great on the wing. Pep wouldn’t even go for him, he’s too one dimensional.

It's a combination of trying to keep the wage bill down to cut costs due to the previous management burning through cash and INEOS not wanting to waste money on average players which we've done with the likes of Antony and Sancho. Berrada is the perfect chief executive for what INEOS are trying to do, he was a master negotiator at City and managed their wage bill really well. I think the days of United going out in the market and offering massive wages to average or older players are over.

2:33 Berrada and Txiki discussing contract renewals and salaries

This is kind of laughable considering what city have been accused of.

Maybe Bruno knows the manager is more than likely going to be replaced, so he wants reassurances he is still going to be numero uno in the squad. A bumper payrise or extension puts any doubts to bed.

I think part of the reason his team are angling for a higher and wage parity is the reported 25% reduction in wages next season due to missing out on CL. On balance, he does deserve to be atleast on the same wages as Marcus/ Casemiro, so can’t really fault him for trying.

Angling for a new contract at the very beginning of a new leadership and direction for the club seems all wrong to me.

We all know Rashford and Casemiro should never be on the type of wages they are > I just cant see any logical reason why we'd give a 30yr old with 3 years left a bumper pay rise when FFP is so strict in the PL at the moment.

Not to mention, whether he is our best player or not he's been part of a Man UTD squad for the last 3 or 4 years that have repeatedly under achieved and failed in they're objectives. Our captain, our leader. He isn't worth a new contract. Being best of a rotten bunch doesn't make you the best

100% agree. He wants more money for the last big contract of his career. Barring a move to saudi in his mid thirties.