Bruno Fernandes performances 2019/20

Alabaster Codify7

Ole turned down this signing in favour of Mata,Lingard and Pereira.

Ask yourself, us this the man you want in charge of 'rebuilding this club'?

He is building a bottom half of the table club. And he is happy with that. If you are too, you deserve everything coming to you.

fergosaurus

If we had bought him instead of Maguire and kept Smalling we'd be a much better team with £15m to spare.

SambaBoy

Crazy that we didn't go for him at the rumoured price. His quality is evident and even if he isn't quite as special as people make out, he's a massive upgrade on the likes of Pereira, Mata and Lingard who all operate in similar positions.

Hopefully we will reignite our interest in him and get him in January.

Godfather

Not enough good passing % apparently. So fecking absurd whichever way you look at it.
Meanwhile we are playing Pereira in CM that misplaces 14 passes in a single half. We simply didn't have (get) the funds that's what it was. Don't buy this pass percentage crap at all.

Classical Mechanic

If we had bought him instead of Maguire and kept Smalling we'd be a much better team with £15m to spare.
You don't know that, there's plenty of players that can boss it in leagues like the Portuguese and Dutch that completely flop when they make the step up. Look at Jahanbakhsh at Brighton for a recent example.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/133390/History/Alireza-Jahanbakhsh

33 games 21 goals and 12 assists won him a transfer to the PL where he could barely get a game.

Not that I'm against signing Fernandes but he'd still be a gamble.

Alabaster Codify7

Is that a fact? Where's the proof?

Well, nobody can say if anything is pure fact but leaks came out when the window closed that sounded exactly like United-esque leaks, justifying the poor summer in terms of fixing midfield and attack. The party line being "Ole had concerns about his passing ability and the number of risks he takes in doing so". You can find the stories in the papers if you can be arsed to look, don't care either way mate.

Judas

Open to offers
Well, nobody can say if anything is pure fact but leaks came out when the window closed that sounded exactly like United-esque leaks, justifying the poor summer in terms of fixing midfield and attack. The party line being "Ole had concerns about his passing ability and the number of risks he takes in doing so". You can find the stories in the papers if you can be arsed to look, don't care either way mate.
To me it looked like us, Spurs and maybe others bulked at in the insane fee, which was fair enough. Or we were never interested and it was all their end making noise, which again wouldn't surprise me.

ROFLUTION

Class penalty yesterday. Looks to the left, toe-pokes it to the right.

I think Id rather want him than Maddison. Can do a bit of everything like De Bruyne

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Ask yourself, us this the man you want in charge of 'rebuilding this club'?

He is building a bottom half of the table club. And he is happy with that. If you are too, you deserve everything coming to you.
Pile of bollocks.

He didn’t want Bruno and I’m sure he knows those lot aren’t up to scratch. But you can’t overhaul the whole squad in one window.

We should be aiming higher than Bruno.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Pile of bollocks.

He didn’t want Bruno and I’m sure he knows those lot aren’t up to scratch. But you can’t overhaul the whole squad in one window.

We should be aiming higher than Bruno.
All the players you don't sign because you should be aiming higher.

Meanwhile, lingard and mata are still around.

It's a vicious cycle that I for one applaud.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
The penalty :drool:

Edit: meh the link stopped working, so changed it to Europa's League player of the week video

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You don't know that, there's plenty of players that can boss it in leagues like the Portuguese and Dutch that completely flop when they make the step up. Look at Jahanbakhsh at Brighton for a recent example.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/133390/History/Alireza-Jahanbakhsh

33 games 21 goals and 12 assists won him a transfer to the PL where he could barely get a game.

Not that I'm against signing Fernandes but he'd still be a gamble.
The Dutch league is a very weak defensive league though. The Portuguese league is a defense heavy league.

Not to say that your wrong though but with certain players you can just see they can play at the top level and Bruno is one of them IMO.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
PS: I'd prefer Ruben Neves but If Nuno is Arsenal bound, bet Neves goes with him

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
None of the reputable sources ever linked us with Bruno last summer, it was just Portuguese press pushing this transfer. By all accounts, the only mid we were seriously interested in signing last season was Sean Longstaff. And he plays in a different position to Bruno.

Now we're looking at buying a new #10, James Maddison has emerged as top target. So, I don't think Bruno will end up here.

SAFMUTD

We should fire the scout that told that he wasn’t good enough for missplaced pases etc.

This is his third season excelling, we should get him right away, he’s a hard working talented player, gots lots of goals and assists and has leadership which we are desesperate for.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
None of the reputable sources ever linked us with Bruno last summer, it was just Portuguese press pushing this transfer. By all accounts, the only mid we were seriously interested in signing last season was Sean Longstaff. And he plays in a different position to Bruno.

Now we're looking at buying a new #10, James Maddison has emerged as top target. So, I don't think Bruno will end up here.
In fairness, even Longstaff seemed to be a lot of chat from the press more than anything.
I think the only two we were seriously linked with that was legit was Dybala and Eriksen.

Classical Mechanic

The Dutch league is a very weak defensive league though. The Portuguese league is a defense heavy league.

Not to say that your wrong though but with certain players you can just see they can play at the top level and Bruno is one of them IMO.
I'm not saying he isn't. I'd like to see us sign him but the idea that he'd guarantee us success is based only on unproven ideas. I do agree that the Portuguese style is more defence orientated too.

The only thing about Bruno, from what I've seen, is that he dies have a low bottom level. He perhaps reminds me of Depay in that regard and I think once those type of players get in bad form they can get stuck in a rut and annoy the fans.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
In fairness, even Longstaff seemed to be a lot of chat from the press more than anything.
I think the only two we were seriously linked with that was legit was Dybala and Eriksen.
Longstaff was linked to us by Tier 1 reporters from Utd as well as Newcastle throughout the summer. Right from April/May through August. Like it happened with James, AWB and Maguire, who were all mentioned as targets since April.

Dybala was legit but he wasn't a target for us (same with Mandzukic), he was a present gift wrapped to us by Juventus. One where Dybala himself had zero interest in. Eriksen was a half-arsed attempt by us on deadline day to convince the fans that we're still trying, but that was nothing more than a PR show. We had whole of summer to find out if Eriksen was interested in signing in the first place (he wasn't). No matter what club and Ole say, we had 4 targets last summer, and in the end we secured 3 with us being priced out on Sean Longstaff.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Remembering:

Luis Fabiano couldn't shoot on target even if his life depended on it and yet he stepped up later at La Liga.
Diego misplaced easy passes every game and could barely run, just to a couple of years later to win the Bundesliga at Werder Bremen and to play at Juventus and Atlético.
Boly didn't even sat on the bench on his Porto days and wasn't a top choice at Braga either.
Jota played for a relegation fodder team and was subpar at Porto, to the point that Porto didn't even show interest in activating the buying clause.
Jiménez was a very limited striker at Benfica and suddenly he can potentially become a future Wolves record fee sale.
Capdevilla won the WC with Spain and was considered one of La Liga best left backs and only made few games for Benfica as a starter, but it were such sub-standard games that he barely played ever again.
Rúben Neves was 3rd choice at Porto's midfield on his position.

Yes, our league is very unbalanced, and basically there are 6 teams (including the top 3) that tend to be more coherent, and the rest are defensive teams that can actually make you run for the money during a great part of the match and some cannon fodders.

But things are never that simple.

Sterling Archer

To me it looked like us, Spurs and maybe others bulked at in the insane fee, which was fair enough. Or we were never interested and it was all their end making noise, which again wouldn't surprise me.
My biggest quarrel with the matter at hand is that we then came out with a public statement that the player's passing wasn't good enough. It was a rather unprompted and odd thing to come out and say. Because now in the context it's rather embarrassing. If we had just said, United won't be held to ransom over transfer fees it would have been much more effective.

zenith

My biggest quarrel with the matter at hand is that we then came out with a public statement that the player's passing wasn't good enough. It was a rather unprompted and odd thing to come out and say. Because now in the context it's rather embarrassing. If we had just said, United won't be held to ransom over transfer fees it would have been much more effective.
I think this was more of a popular rumor than an actual statement, not least a public one. Don't believe in everything you hear. It's far more likely that the funds were never sanctioned for such a signing or they were not made available or even that ole was simply not interested in this given that we have pogba.

Hawks2008

Foolish not to have signed him, he would not have cost the world and is clearly a dangerous and quality player. Someone like Maddison will cost double what Bruno would and I refuse to believe that he is twice the player.

SportingCP96

Supports
Foolish not to have signed him, he would not have cost the world and is clearly a dangerous and quality player. Someone like Maddison will cost double what Bruno would and I refuse to believe that he is twice the player.
He isn't but he plays in the EPL and is English so:rolleyes:

Bruno will be gone this summer, The question is where.

fallengt

Doesn't matter. He would turn into crap with coaching team we got here at United.

SportingCP96

Supports
Doesn't matter. He would turn into crap with coaching team we got here at United.
Kind of Hoping he goes to Spurs. I truly think he will be brilliant under Mourinho as he is the type of player Jose loves.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Then what on earth are you on about?

luke511

A scholes like assist from Bruno for Wendell to equalise.. It's absolute madness that this transfer was vetoed in the summer because of a pass completion stat.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
A scholes like assist from Bruno for Wendell to equalise.. It's absolute madness that this transfer was vetoed in the summer because of a pass completion stat.
You really believe that was the decisive factor?

spiriticon

Much as Mata, Pereira and Lingard are utterly hopeless, I don't think this guy is the answer to all our problems either. The Portuguese league is not really a reliable benchmark to gamble £70 million on.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Been watching the guy...impressed by his movement, passing and, especially shooting ability. A lot of first touch shots. Powerful shots, weighted shots, curled shots, set pieces, whatever...Most of the goals come from just outside or just into the box, 20 m. We often get touches in that area but rarely score. Looks like he’s worth of the reported 60M gamble.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The only reason for the 70M€ ludicrous value was because the major rivals sold a young starlet by 120M€. If Félix transfer didn't happened, Bruno would had been sold by 50-55M € tops.

ThinkTank@Cafe

The only reason for the 70M€ ludicrous value was because the major rivals sold a young starlet by 120M€. If Félix transfer didn't happened, Bruno would had been sold by 50-55M € tops.
Good point. Seems, intraleague fan judgement is lot more valuable. In my view, he’s worth a gamble at said 50-55.