Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

Fans leaving the stadium with 7 minutes to go will be more common in next few months. I think there will be more fans staying away.

Evans999

If this isn't completed I think we can say safely Ole won't be in charge next year. Can see the logic. No point buying a player a manager wants who wont be in charge next year

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The funny thing is we are in more of a desperate state, and as a buyer, we are in no position to be haggling over price.

This should have been a case of identifying him before the window opened, then agreeing the price to get him in on the first day (and paying what was required) unless we had other targets available where we could step away and just go for the alternative.

We dont, Lisbon know that and everybody else knows that. Top4 is on the line, and despite having only won 9 games all season, we are only 6 away from that spot ((had we got him in for Jan, who knows we could possibly have won yesterday, or drawn vs Liverpool, or not lost to Arsenal).
I haven't looked at the PL table for a couple of months now, so I knew our form was poor but I didn't know it was that poor.
Holy..sh*t.:lol:

el3mel

Difference here is the amount of key outgoing players. We did not replace them, we reduced the squad to skin and bones and we are suffering for it now. You may ague that Ole allowed those players to leave, but it has been well documented that the likes of Lukaku wanted to leave. Sanchez has been a no show from the time he entered the doors.
Ole had a choice, which is ludicrous given the stature of the club, fix something, defense, midfield or attack. Why should any manager have a choice at this club? He should be able to fix the squad! Ole chose defense...gamble yes.
No manager will refuse to replace players in their squad, nobody can convince me that the manager didn't want replacements.
The problem here is the people in charge of transfers/purse strings, not the manager (whoever that may be in the future).

You can argue about the managers ability, but player transfers is not something that's all in his control. He's not SAF, he doesn't have full control...nobody will ever again.
Sorry for the delayed replay.

I have replied on this "wanted to leave" part so many times. Pogba wanted to leave too, did he? We have the choice not the player as long as they are under contract. We can cancel the deal and force him to stay and he will have nothing to do except to play. Considering we let him go in the last 2 days of the market after failing to sign a replacement means Ole still wanted him to leave and wasn't concerned with having only Rashford and Martial as striker options. Otherwise why didn't he keep him after failing to get a replacement? Lukaku wasn't sold early in the window.

Of course no manager gets a free chequebook in a market. Each manager has to prioritize positions over others and prefer to sign players over others. Especially if he's doing a rebuild job. The problem isn't just he priotized the wrong position, but that his signings have been nothing special so far, and didn't improve the defense that much, we are leaking goals every game and barely get any clean sheet in the league. So the last window has been a total waste imo.

Well he said himself the final decision in each transfer is down to him. Either this is true, which means yes he's control in transfers, or he's covering for Woodward and acting like a yes man to keep his job after seeing what happened to Mourinho, both don't really warrant a defense for him regarding that matter to be honest.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
How long before the match going fans actually direct their anger towards Woodward and the board rather the team.

Surely this drag of an approach has lasted long enough
They've been chanting anti-Glazer/ Woodward songs over the past few games. If you'd been watching, you would've heard.

And, Fellaini aside, they hardly ever criticise the players.

mu4c_20le

I haven't looked at the PL table for a couple of months now, so I knew our form was poor but I didn't know it was that poor.
Holy..sh*t.:lol:
Wanna know something even funnier? We are level with Spurs now, and some want us to hire the guy that put them there....:lol:

DBT85

If this isn't completed I think we can say safely Ole won't be in charge next year. Can see the logic. No point buying a player a manager wants who wont be in charge next year
I really can't understand this logic.

The club should be buying players for the club, that fit the clubs vision (whatever the feck that might be) and appointing managers that also fit that vision.

Sure thats not how we HAVE done things, but its how we should be.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Wanna know something even funnier? We are level with Spurs now, and some want us to hire the guy that put them there....:lol:
I'd be totally honest with you, if/when Ole is relieved of his duties, I wouldn't know who to replace him with.

redmanc

I dont actually care if we sign him anymore, the whole club needs fixing, we've already seen multiple players join the team and look shite so wouldn't expect anything less from Bruno if we signed him. The club right now is spiralling out of control and the glazers themselves will soon start to feel this once revenues drop.. think only then we might get some attention to the bigger issues.

DamoK

But the thing is we will need a massive rebuild in the summer and this board have proven time and time again that they aren't willing to spend enough to fix our squad. They can't seem to negotiate more than three deals in a window and our net spend the last two to three years has been atrocious for a club this size. I'm sure whatever manager comes in would rather have Fernandes than Lingard and Periera

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I dont actually care if we sign him anymore, the whole club needs fixing, we've already seen multiple players join the team and look shite so wouldn't expect anything less from Bruno if we signed him. The club right now is spiralling out of control and the glazers themselves will soon start to feel this once revenues drop.. think only then we might get some attention to the bigger issues.
Exactly how I feel.

Di Maria, Falcao, Miki, Martial, Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Zlatan......list goes on and on and on. We're no better than we were 7 years ago and most of these big investments are no longer here anyway.

Bruno Fernandes is not changing anything for us. As if one player is going to stop this rot. Glazers and Woodward out is far more important than signing Bruno. Far more.

MS4

We lack of players and we don't buy players. At this point any available good player, especially midfielder is crucial. Otherwise the next manager is screwed as well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Agree, unfortunately.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If the club wanted some control over its destiny then it should have either secured some new midfielders during the summer or else they should have kept Herrera, Lukaku and possibly Fellaini at the club. Instead we allowed players to go, we didn't replaced them and we started the season with a ridiculously thin squad. That + Ole/coaches inexperience lead to us using our small pool of players to exhaustion which means that at this stage the only things we're picking after matches are injuries. No club in the world would believe that we're not desperate for players, we barely have any fit players left.

Its ridiculous how even now we keep on losing more players then we are actually buying. Young has left while Chong has been discussing terms with Inter. Its ridiculous how on one hand we keep saying that we're building for the future while we are concurrently letting the likes of Chong & Gomes leave for free.

So how should we proceed? Well its simple really. We should buy Bruno no questions asked. If money is an issue then we should also get Piatek, Bernardeschi and Can/Rabiot on loan with right to buy. Hopefully that would allow us to rest some players.

Sylar

Bruno Fernandes is not changing anything for us. As if one player is going to stop this rot. Glazers and Woodward out is far more important than signing Bruno. Far more.
And this is correct. We should be adding 2 or 3 to share responsibility, not just one and expecting him to change everything. Its such a mess. If we do get Bruno, the expectations from fans (and media) will very high and it will be unfair.

Bestietom

If the club wanted some control over its destiny then it should have either secured some new midfielders during the summer or else they should have kept Herrera, Lukaku and possibly Fellaini at the club. Instead we allowed players to go, we didn't replaced them and we started the season with a ridiculously thin squad. That + Ole/coaches inexperience lead to us using our small pool of players to exhaustion which means that at this stage the only things we're picking after matches are injuries. No club in the world would believe that we're not desperate for players, we barely have any fit players left.

Its ridiculous how even now we keep on losing more players then we are actually buying. Young has left while Chong has been discussing terms with Inter. Its ridiculous how on one hand we keep saying that we're building for the future while we are concurrently letting the likes of Chong & Gomes leave for free.

So how should we proceed? Well its simple really. We should buy Bruno no questions asked. If money is an issue then we should also get Piatek, Bernardeschi and Can/Rabiot on loan with right to buy. Hopefully that would allow us to rest some players.
Your smack on there. It really looks to me like maybe the Glazers are preparing for sale. What do you think.

Seb burrow

Loan bid rejected for Vecino. Screams desperation from the club to try and bring someone in. I mean who the f even is he?!

makes me feel like Bruno won’t happen.

Alabaster Codify7

I really can't understand this logic.

The club should be buying players for the club, that fit the clubs vision (whatever the feck that might be) and appointing managers that also fit that vision.

Sure thats not how we HAVE done things, but its how we should be.

Yeah, that's how it should work. It shouldn't matter whether or not this manager is still here in August, because his replacement should also be a true fit for what we want as a club and therefore, will enjoy the players at his disposal.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
And this is correct. We should be adding 2 or 3 to share responsibility, not just one and expecting him to change everything. Its such a mess. If we do get Bruno, the expectations from fans (and media) will very high and it will be unfair.
Especially as seems most likely that Bruno would be a direct replacement for Pogba.
Solskjaer is doing a grand job in clearing the deadwood, but he hits a brickwall because the board are simply not backing him and delivering the new players that he needs, therefore Solskjaer has absolutely no other choice than to play Matic, Mata, Jones, Lingard etc...he is on a hiding to nothing.

devilish

Your smack on there. It really looks to me like maybe the Glazers are preparing for sale. What do you think.
There's a lot of hints hinting that

a- lack of investment in terms of transfers
b- lack of investment in terms of infrastructure
c- cost cutting in terms of coaches, manager and player's salary

Basically the club is keeping the costs down and they are refusing to take long term commitment in terms of infrastructure or expensive staff. That's spanks of owners wanting out.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Loan bid rejected for Vecino. Screams desperation from the club to try and bring someone in. I mean who the f even is he?!

makes me feel like Bruno won’t happen.
I remember someone likening Vecino to Lampard a couple of seasons back,when he was breaking through at Inter.
Statically that comparison just looks laughable now.

Bestietom

There's a lot of hints hinting that

a- lack of investment in terms of transfers
b- lack of investment in terms of infrastructure
c- cost cutting in terms of coaches, manager and player's salary

Basically the club is keeping the costs down and they are refusing to take long term commitment in terms of infrastructure or expensive staff. That's spanks of owners wanting out.
Yes, I feel it might not be too long before we hear something again.

Jinn

Sorry for the delayed replay.

I have replied on this "wanted to leave" part so many times. Pogba wanted to leave too, did he? We have the choice not the player as long as they are under contract. We can cancel the deal and force him to stay and he will have nothing to do except to play. Considering we let him go in the last 2 days of the market after failing to sign a replacement means Ole still wanted him to leave and wasn't concerned with having only Rashford and Martial as striker options. Otherwise why didn't he keep him after failing to get a replacement? Lukaku wasn't sold early in the window.

Of course no manager gets a free chequebook in a market. Each manager has to prioritize positions over others and prefer to sign players over others. Especially if he's doing a rebuild job. The problem isn't just he prioritized the wrong position, but that his signings have been nothing special so far, and didn't improve the defense that much, we are leaking goals every game and barely get any clean sheet in the league. So the last window has been a total waste imo.

Well he said himself the final decision in each transfer is down to him. Either this is true, which means yes he's control in transfers, or he's covering for Woodward and acting like a yes man to keep his job after seeing what happened to Mourinho, both don't really warrant a defense for him regarding that matter to be honest.
That's an assumption. I don't believe that for a second. The Lukaku deal dragged on for the better part of the transfer window. We knew he was leaving. Why didn't the club go in for another striker before Lukaku left? Same reason we only managed to secure the Maguire so late on. Budget?
Hindsight is 20/20. I argue that our defense is suffering due to the lack of quality in our midfield.
He could hardly say that the decisions would be based upon how much the club is willing to spend now, could he? That would have created a bigger circus than the Pogba/Mourinho saga.

Seems to me that Ole is trying to appease everybody. While that may be a noble gesture on his part, it is harming him. You bang on about his motives - keeping his job etc. I don't believe that's the case at all. I would like to think that Ole is a man of integrity and until i'm proven wrong(ala Mourihno waiting to get fired instead of quitting), i will continue to believe that.

I get it, you don't like Ole, that's fine, but lets not make up stuff about the man...he will be gone soon enough and then you can lynch the next manager who has the same or similar results.
The problem is not the Manager, it's the owners and more importantly that dumb American who refuses to admit he is out of his depth - Ed.

Bestietom

That's an assumption. I don't believe that for a second. The Lukaku deal dragged on for the better part of the transfer window. We knew he was leaving. Why didn't the club go in for another striker before Lukaku left? Same reason we only managed to secure the Maguire so late on. Budget?
Hindsight is 20/20. I argue that our defense is suffering due to the lack of quality in our midfield.
He could hardly say that the decisions would be based upon how much the club is willing to spend now, could he? That would have created a bigger circus than the Pogba/Mourinho saga.

Seems to me that Ole is trying to appease everybody. While that may be a noble gesture on his part, it is harming him. You bang on about his motives - keeping his job etc. I don't believe that's the case at all. I would like to think that Ole is a man of integrity and until i'm proven wrong(ala Mourihno waiting to get fired instead of quitting), i will continue to believe that.

I get it, you don't like Ole, that's fine, but lets not make up stuff about the man...he will be gone soon enough and then you can lynch the next manager who has the same or similar results.
The problem is not the Manager, it's the owners and more importantly that dumb American who refuses to admit he is out of his depth - Ed.
I hope that if/when the Glazers go, we get owners and a CEO that loves football.

joedirt87

Pochettino wanted him, so if we lined him up to take over for Ole it makes sense.

Ikon

Pochettino wanted him, so if we lined him up to take over for Ole it makes sense.
From rumours I've heard, Poch has said he won't take the job if Woodward is still in charge of recruitment, so who knows..?

devilish

Yes, I feel it might not be too long before we hear something again.
The squad needs a 300-400m cash injection on the transfer market. Meanwhile the stadium is leaking water, the coaching and managerial department needs some serious revamping and staff at board level needs to clear their desk. That's occurring in a rather hostile environment were the world might be heading to a global recession again, were fans, sponsors and pundits (aka former players/legends) are losing their patience + its rumoured that at least one of the Glazers wants out. What United needs is a serious rebuild which would impact United on all levels including board level, managerial level, coaching level, fitness and medical level, infrastructure level and squad's level. That's a rebuild that neither Sir Matt or Sir Alex had ever seen before

I don't think that the Glazer's have the money and the expertise to do that. They will play hard ball but I think that the club will be sold.

el3mel

When did I make stuff up? All I was saying is Lukaku was sold in last 2 days of the market. In the last 2 days he was still a United player, and he was still under contract, and we failed to secure any replacement for him during the summer. Why did we let him go then in the dying minutes of the market knowing fully well he wouldn't be replaced as there was no more time to search for a replacement. We could have always forced him to stay for 1 more season and he would have to play, no more options for him. Cancel the deal and sell him next summer, much better than entering the season with such options. Not all players get their wish of leaving instantly. Pogba wanted to leave the last 2 summers and he's still here. Hazard had wanted to leave Chelsea for years and only got his wish last summer. The club is in full control as long as players are under contract so saying "but he wanted to leave" as an excuse for letting him go without replacement doesn't make sense for me. We know he wouldn't get replaced and still let him go anyway.

Beside have we really been in the market for any top striker? Only striker we were interested in was Mandzukic, 34 years old, who wasn't going to be anything here more than a backup. All evidences point to the fact that Ole was content with Rashford and Martial as options, and wanted to sell Lukaku and get short term backup option. When he failed to get him he still had no problems agreeing on Lukaku sale in the dying minutes of the market. Otherwise why did not we keep him? Since when the club chooses the options for transfers and not the managers at United? Ed always leaves the targets and choices for the manager. He sucks in negotiating deals but he doesn't put the list of players chosen himself.

Yes it's hindsight, but for us, however it's the duty of the manager to analyze every possible outcome and has a better and longer sight vision than some fans on internet. He should have analyzed which would have been better, spending another season with Smalling while reinforcing the attack and midfield or spending 130m on defense alone while leaving the attack and defense to dry. If he isn't the one to do such analysis then who would? And if he did then he took the wrong choice, obviously. He has to live and die with his choices.

I like Ole as a person, he's a decent block and a lovely guy, but he has been unfortunately a terrible manager here from every single perspective. His management of injuries, his organization of transfer window and targets, his tactics and boring football, his quotes and pressers. Even the young players thing he only plays 2 of them regularly (Greenwood and Williams) while preferring the likes of Lingard ahead of Gomes, at least LvG was playing shite ton of youngsters while having an injury crisis. Nothing in his short reign will be worth noting few years from now on. He hasn't put a base for anything and the next manager will find a team that has no football style or identity and needs ton of money to compete after what we had done in the full summer Ole got.

Yes we have other different problems in the club and yes the next manager might fail but doesn't change anything from the fact that Ole is another big problem. Both aren't related.

The real question to be asked is if we miraculously get a better board and get a top class squad over the night will anyone trust Ole then to lead them to glory? I guess the answer on such question is gonna be obvious for most here. He wasn't even on the list of anyone to replace the previous manager before he got the interim job.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Especially as seems most likely that Bruno would be a direct replacement for Pogba.
Solskjaer is doing a grand job in clearing the deadwood, but he hits a brickwall because the board are simply not backing him and delivering the new players that he needs, therefore Solskjaer has absolutely no other choice than to play Matic, Mata, Jones, Lingard etc...he is on a hiding to nothing.
OGS is doing a grand job at lowering the costs for owners whose main objective is to take money out of the club. It's obvious what's happening. It's an accounting game and some people are worshiping at the "clearing of deadwood" alter. Clearing out Fellaini, Lukaku, Hererra, Sanchez and not replacing them is blasphemous. I'm not congratulating a manager for being bamboozled or simply acquiescing and then selling the BS in his press conferences. They'd rather extend Jones, give ridiculous wages to DDG than be tasked with trying to replace them. You think this is what a promising rebuild looks like at a top club?

SteveW

This doesn't make sense. Andreas has a huge role in the team right now. So much of attacking play goes through him and he messes it up every time.

Putting real quality in that role would make a huge difference. It's literally a necessity for Ole's system to work tbh

Ikon

OGS is doing a grand job at lowering the costs for owners whose main objective is to take money out of the club. It's obvious what's happening. It's an accounting game and some people are worshiping at the "clearing of deadwood" alter. Clearing out Fellaini, Lukaku, Hererra, Sanchez and not replacing them is blasphemous. I'm not congratulating a manager for being bamboozled or simply acquiescing and then selling the BS in his press conferences. They'd rather extend Jones, give ridiculous wages to DDG than be tasked with trying to replace them. You think this is what a promising rebuild looks like at a top club?
Lets be honest about it, all of us have been calling for this squad of mediocre underachievers to be culled, and we all want to see that continue, and Solskjaer is absolutely doing that, but he is not responsible for the utter failure of the club to sign quality replacements.
Solskjaer's fault is his timidity and not creating a rumpus when the club are failing to deliver.

Heinzesight

Lets be honest about it, all of us have been calling for this squad of mediocre underachievers to be culled, and we all want to see that continue, and Solskjaer is absolutely doing that, but he is not responsible for the utter failure of the club to sign quality replacements.
Solskjaer's fault is his timidity and not creating a rumpus when the club are failing to deliver.
Well said

ArjenIsM3

Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.