Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdiglas78

If Utd end up paying close to the fee quoted in the summer, it will prove negotiating incompetence.

Factors supposedly in play:

1. Sporting are cash poor.
2. Sporting approached Utd.
3. Fernandes wants to leave.
4. Fernandes is not OGS top choice.
5. Fernandes’ contract has wound down a further 6 months.
6. Risk due to disparity between leagues.

Utd should be haggling over this out of sheer diligence. They need to correct the recent reputation of paying over the odds out of desperation (whether deserved or not). To be held over a barrel by a club desperate for money who are offering you their player would be incompetence.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It made a mistake which I corrected. It was meant to be RW not RB
So you meant to say we spent 130m on the “new Steve Bruceand a RW who can’t attack?
That doesn’t make any sense either

James only cost mid teens max so I think you were having a go at AWB.

If you’re going to hold these opinions, at least you should own them.

(btw Maguire nowhere nearly as good as Steve Bruce)

M Bison

Supports
York City
Nice one :lol:

They were haggling over the fee for Wan Bissaka and Maguire for months in the summer and knowing the owners and Ed it must be pennies mate!
I very much doubt you know the owners and/or Ed so you have no idea what stage the negotiation is up to!

pearl1337

No right back, I know you’re wumming but consider me wound up.

If you think our RB is a problem then you know nothing about football. He’s the best defensive RB in the league, by a mile. He’ll develop the attacking side of his game, some improvement is already evident this season.

Off topic I know but couldn’t be left unchallenged.
I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but imo AWB should be converted to a CB and we should buy a fullback that can provide both attacking and defensive strenght.

pacifictheme

He will be done just in time to make his debut at Anfield :)
I sort of hope hes not. We'll likely get played off thr park there even with him and then all the idiots on here will be falling over each other to say i told you he was shite etc.

EireRed_GS

Can you imagine if this doesnt happen AGAIN?!
Don't be surprised mate. The recent word is United are stalling on paying the €50m funds. It wouldn't surprise me if they are just towing the line with this all over again up until the deadline to make it look to the fans they are active

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So you meant to say we spent 130m on the “new Steve Bruceand a RW who can’t attack?

I don't want to derail this topic again. However let me tell you this. Spending 130m on 2 decent but hardly world class players is crazy especially if that meant leaving a huge crater in midfield and RW.

Dong Fangzhuo

It's pretty clear from his edit what he meant. We have no RW and we bought a RB who can't attack. Hardly the most controversial opinions are they?

cyberman

I suggest you do cause it changes you perspective. It surely did to me. The EPL had improved greatly since then. The times when some average player/flop/washed up player from the Serie A could come and beat the crap out of EPL defenders are long over. The likes of Bruce wouldn't make it at top level now
EPL is shit mate. Outside of Liverpool and City, and sometimes Leicester, our league is garbage.
Plus the quality of defenders has died a fecking death. City are playing Fernandinho there for feck sake.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
EPL is shit mate. Outside of Liverpool and City, and sometimes Leicester, our league is garbage.
Plus the quality of defenders has died a fecking death. City are playing Fernandinho there for feck sake.
I disagree. Its quite a decent league, one of the toughest in the world. You find decent players at nearly every club which makes every game difficult. In fact I think you can build a side outside the top 6 who can do extremely well at any league. Regarding defences, I think the EPL peaked during Rio, Terry and Vidic time. At that time the EPL had the best defenders in the world. However they are still better then the ones of the early 90s.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Don't be surprised mate. The recent word is United are stalling on paying the €50m funds. It wouldn't surprise me if they are just towing the line with this all over again up until the deadline to make it look to the fans they are active
I highly doubt a team as huge as man utd really give much of a f*ck about fans opinions of their transfer business. Even to go as far as wasting everyone’s time and money to appear to make a transfer they don’t actually want just to appease the fans.

Come on now, use some logic here please

Man Utd for all intensive purposes, don’t really give a f*ck what you think tbh. They won’t buckle to fan pressure and they sure as h*ll won’t go out their way to do anything for you either.

I don't want to derail this topic again. However let me tell you this. Spending 130m on 2 decent but hardly world class players is crazy especially if that meant leaving a huge crater in midfield and RW.
That’s the way the transfer market is these days, we’ll have to get used to it.

Plus there’s the United tax...

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
That's better than any youtube compilation. Looks like that Keano spirit. No idea what the context is there, but who cares. A guy who's willing to sparta kick a door works for me.
Seems he won't take nicely to any kicking from those cnuts Milner and Henderson ! :D

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I don't need to rewatch the games. I never said he was WC. There has never been a team in history with WC players at every position. He was a great player, who was an absolute leader. We miss someone like him these days.
Not necessarily related to the main point you were trying to make, but curious . how many players of this line-up do you think were not world-class?

Do you think current City (when nobody is injured) has the squad to put 11 world-class players on the field, or close to it?

RedChisel

Rest of Europe must be absolutely terrible then as the EPL had all 4 Champions League Semi Finalists and both Finalists in the Europa.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Not necessarily related to the main point you were trying to make, but curious . how many players of this line-up do you think were not world-class?

Do you think current City (when nobody is injured) has the squad to put 11 world-class players on the field, or close to it?
Sylvinho and Valdes were never world class in my opinion, and neither Henry or Toure were at this point. But it's probably the closest line up to everyone being world class you'll see.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Look how weak that midfield is. Acres of space to play in and that’s supposed to be the greatest midfield of all time?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Does anyone else just feel that the longer this saga drags on for, the worse the player will be when and if he does actually arrive here...??? :rolleyes:

SweetRightFoot

Rest of Europe must be absolutely terrible then as the EPL had all 4 Champions League Semi Finalists and both Finalists in the Europa.
Dumb post pointed out for being dumb. Well said @RedChisel

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I highly doubt a team as huge as man utd really give much of a f*ck about fans opinions of their transfer business. Even to go as far as wasting everyone’s time and money to appear to make a transfer they don’t actually want just to appease the fans.

Man Utd for all intensive purposes, don’t really give a f*ck what you think tbh. They won’t buckle to fan pressure and they sure as h*ll won’t go out their way to do anything for you either.

That’s the way the transfer market is these days, we’ll have to get used to it.

Plus there’s the United tax...
It's all "intents and purposes" to be completely correct.

Couldn't let that go.

cyberman

A Spurs miracle run and two English sides beating the might from the dog and duck and the moon.
Even if we pretend its not, is there any difference between the quality of the league now and when Bruce was playing?
Id say the talent was more spread out throughout the league back then.
Its all much of the same these days

EireRed_GS

Unfortunately you are probably right here. I think Ed and Judge are feeling the heat a little and feel they need to be seen to be presenting some sort of solution, whether thats signings or progressing Academy etc.

But the answer to all the time wasting and dragged out deals, is more than likely down to the two incompetent jobsworths tasked with them

Hebrew

I disagree. Its quite a decent league, one of the toughest in the world. You find decent players at nearly every club which makes every game difficult. In fact I think you can build a side outside the top 6 who can do extremely well at any league. Regarding defences, I think the EPL peaked during Rio, Terry and Vidic time. At that time the EPL had the best defenders in the world. However they are still better then the ones of the early 90s.
Most of the time its our players making games difficult against extremely beatable opposition, not theirs.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Rumours they’re trying to drag it out until after the Benfica game. Huge risk if so.
I'm getting a real sense of deja vu here. Wasn't it being said in the Summer that Sporting wanting to hold onto him so he could play a game against Benfica?

Ibi Dreams

Never seen the lad play but I am desperate to sign him :lol:

He literally can't be worse than some of the players we've put out in midfield this season

Bestietom

It's absolutely ridiculous the way we handle transfers. This should have been done and dusted on Friday last. Others should have been done with players ready to come in on 1st January. We need to get negotiating RIGHT and Woody and Judge are not the ones to do it.

Tiber

Some of the moaning in this thread is literally insane.

The guy absolutely smashed the Portuguese league.

He has a very good record in the Europa League - including this season.

And he is a full Portugal international.

He isn't a guaranteed success, no player is. But if this isn't the sort of player that we should be targeting, who the hell is?

patty123

Regarding defences, I think the EPL peaked during Rio, Terry and Vidic time. At that time the EPL had the best defenders in the world. However they are still better then the ones of the early 90s.
And ? As AF had to play MC there for a few games due to our 4 being out injured at the time, christ be lucky its not the 70's/80's when you had only a core of 15/16 player not the 25 man squads we do today.

And as both of you talk about defence, true but that all started around 05 with the new tackling rules and the advent of players dropping to the ground quicker than a wet paper hankie in order to cheat/win a free/peno, so you wanna blame someone for the loss art of defending, see you're messi's cr7's etc for that. And devilish you use rio, terry, vidic, well we can match them with Bruce, Pally and Adams, as to me our 90's back 5 as well as the Arsenals were more than a match for anything city or liverpool have, hell even better is what I would say given how fragile forwards are these days and how protected they are as opposed the 90's.

And last point is at cyberman, "Outside of Liverpool and City, and sometimes Leicester, our league is garbage" really, really ? As do you only take a said year into it, as LCFC did nothing of note since they won it till now and before that so why use them ? You want shite league, see Italy mate as that is pure garabge at its finest, as other than inter and the old hag who have won it or are the only ones capable, as juve has won the last eight and 5 of the 6 prior to that were Inter, christ even us, the mighty liverpool team of the late 70's/80s couldn't even match those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.