Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexthelion

I can't understand why we'd break the bank for him while Eriksen is leaving for a much lower fee, presumably without our interference. Anyway, hope it goes through, we so sorely need that creative midfielder and I'm pleasantly surprised that it looks likely to happen.
Because, as has been said many, many times, Eriksen wants to move abroad.

Irwin99

Would love it to happen but I'm wondering why we didn't do this in the summer- Has the price been lowered since then?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I can't understand why we'd break the bank for him while Eriksen is leaving for a much lower fee, presumably without our interference. Anyway, hope it goes through, we so sorely need that creative midfielder and I'm pleasantly surprised that it looks likely to happen.
Due to his contract situation, he will get a substantial signing on fee or added to his salary over the length of his contract. I am sure Bruno will be better value financially. Bruno will also have a sell-on value due to his age if he gets transferred from United.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Looks Amazing but will he get this kinda space in PL to take those shots?? Just curious.
I think realistically you can expect his goal output to diminish to single digits because defences and keepers are better in the PL than they are in Portugal, from the little I've seen of the lad though I think he has other attributes that would still make him a better option than the likes of Andreas and Lingard

bondsname

Obviously a fantastic finisher, but there were many instances were a team mate was in a better position than him. Does he have vision to pick them out or does he always go for the shot?

Le Red

Looks Amazing but will he get this kinda space in PL to take those shots?? Just curious.
Fred had a huge number of similar chances so far but unfortunately his shooting has been outlandish.
Bruno will have chances to score in the PL, and he will take them.

Cliche Guevara

I previously thought things were sounding a bit more real than last summer’s bullshit. I reckon if it’s not done by tomorrow night then it’s not happening. There’s more than enough time since it broke to have wrapped this up given the time we’ve supposedly been after him.

It’s beginning to look again like this is all coming from Sporting’s end and we are not interested in doing business anywhere near where they want to.

theklr

I previously thought things were sounding a bit more real than last summer’s bullshit. I reckon if it’s not done by tomorrow night then it’s not happening. There’s more than enough time since it broke to have wrapped this up given the time we’ve supposedly been after him.

It’s beginning to look again like this is all coming from Sporting’s end and we are not interested in doing business anywhere near where they want to.
What happens tomorrow night? If nothing happens by Monday or Tuesday next week, THEN you can start getting concerned.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Obviously a fantastic finisher, but there were many instances were a team mate was in a better position than him. Does he have vision to pick them out or does he always go for the shot?
To be fair, when you are such insane finisher, normal rules for normal human beings don't apply. The definition of "better position" warps – would that team mate finish the way Bruno did? I would only blame the guy for not passing if he doesn't score, but if he does - why pass? Either way last season he had 32 goals and 18 assists in all competitions. Not bad at all.

Every time you watch him play, the only question is - why the feck are we not paying whatever they are asking and getting him in, as long as he wants to come? And everybody says he does want to come, so what the hell is our problem? Who cares if we pay 60M or 70M, he is worth it.

Cliche Guevara

What happens tomorrow night? If nothing happens by Monday or Tuesday next week, THEN you can start getting concerned.
Nah I don’t believe we got so close so quickly only to still be so far apart. We might have been largely focusing on tonight’s game so I think if it’s happening it could be wrapped up tomorrow.

If not them I’m very quickly becoming sceptical again. I could tell very early in the summer most of the reports were bollocks.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Call me cynical but not buying that Pogba is injured, if we signed Bruno today/tomorrow think you'd find Pogba would make a miraculous recovery and be starting for Real Madrid, Juventus or PSG by the end of the month.

Not sure what's happening with Matic, don't know if he's playing to get away, or it's a desperate attempt to prolong his time at United but he's been playing well of late, and whilst we've got the injuries long may it continue.

And Mata will probably stay, wouldn't be surprised if he gets offered a coaching job towards the end of next season as well.

We've been in dialogue with Sporting Club for well over a year now re. Bruno, and we know this because they keep leaking weekly updates, strangely enough it started when Pogba and his advisors took it in turns to say how much he fancied a new challenge.
no

Withnail

People say he won't be that good for English league standards but which PL keeper could stop most of these rockets ?

For January window this is a chance that doesn't come too often.
Many of those are too close to the keeper or don't have enough pace to trouble a PL keeper.

I'd say at least half of those are saved in the PL but I'd take half his current numbers.

In saying that he'd be closed down a lot more so he wouldn't get off as many shots either so it'd likely be lower than that again.

Withnail

Nah I don’t believe we got so close so quickly only to still be so far apart. We might have been largely focusing on tonight’s game so I think if it’s happening it could be wrapped up tomorrow.

If not them I’m very quickly becoming sceptical again. I could tell very early in the summer most of the reports were bollocks.
A lot of talk around Sporting delaying things til after the Lisbon derby so it might not get done till after the weekend.

Cliche Guevara

A lot of talk around Sporting delaying things til after the Lisbon derby so it might not get done till after the weekend.
Yeah, but I’m not sure we’d go for that. Worryingly in the summer it was the Super Cup, then the Euro thing which supposedly delayed things.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They said exactly the same thing in the summer, when they faced them in the cup final. I thought we were getting him in the summer but I don't believe it now.

My thinking is, why wouldn't we have just bought him in the summer? We're briefing that we won't spend for the sake of it but Bruno doesn't feel like he'd be or first choice so, by that logic, I don't believe we'll panic buy him now. It just doesn't make sense, unless we were lying about not panic buying.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Many of those are too close to the keeper or don't have enough pace to trouble a PL keeper.

I'd say at least half of those are saved in the PL but I'd take half his current numbers.

In saying that he'd be closed down a lot more so he wouldn't get off as many shots either so it'd likely be lower than that again.
I've watched that video twice now, in an effort find out what the hell you're talking about. No dice. No keeper in the world is saving any of those shots, bar one or two.
I agree he might be closed down quicker in the PL but your comment about his goals being down to poor goalkeeping are, quite frankly, ridiculous. I mean the evidence is literally in the video.
The vast majority of those shots are rocketed into the top or bottom corners.

luke511

This isn't going to happen!

we've offered an amount, sporting want more, we dont want to pay it.

Roll on 1st of Feb
What if Bruno has requested to stay on as a Sporting player until after the Benfica game out of respect? Sounds like something he'd do after showing his passion for loyalty in the past.

croadyman

What if Bruno has requested to stay on as a Sporting player until after the Benfica game out of respect? Sounds like something he'd do after showing his passion for loyalty in the past.
Yeah that could well be the case because he does seem like someone who is respectful and loyal. If we didn't have such a big game this weekend then wouldn't be so frustrated about the delay.

Would be great to get it announced before Friday so he could say a proper thank you and goodbye to Sporting but my gut says it won't be until next week.

I can also see the point of people who say it's maybe a good thing because throwing a new player into a crunch match isn't ideal.

Last edited:

Rish Sawhney

Has any player ever done this? Seems quite risky cos he might get injured and scupper the whole move.

Lee565

Whether we sign him or not, either way it will be annoying. If we sign him then was it really worth messing about with this transfer in summer only then do it January when we could have benefited from having him in our depleted midfield during the first half of the season, has the club not learned from when they delayed buying Maguire for a season?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Sure, add to that poor coaching and he'll score as much as Lingard.

Seriously...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't think we'll sign him just because he doesn't fit our team. Sure he fits better than Lingard, but I doubt he is a target we're willing to put a lot of money on the table for and I don't disagree, it would be dumb. His long rage shots might stop going in which is likely, the same way Pogba stopped and even a player like Neves too I believe scores less of those in the PL. His passing seems a bit dull and possibly sloppy in key moments, even if he is a bit creative. I'm also not sure if his centre of gravity and technique is tidy enough to cope with the physicality of PL, I think he lacks a little bit of pace and with his direct style I think he'll get outmuscled on the ball.

I just don't think he is a good fit, but sure for the right price it might be a good risk to take at this moment because we need to replace Lingard either way, worst case he can't be much worse than him or Mata even if he is a bad fit. Above 40m and I think we should stay away. I think he'll be similar to Mkhitaryan in that he'll have moments of brilliance but not contributing enough to our general play, which is why I don't think he is what we need.

RyRy11

I don't think we'll sign him just because he doesn't fit our team. Sure he fits better than Lingard, but I doubt he is a target we're willing to put a lot of money on the table for and I don't disagree, it would be dumb. His long rage shots might stop going in which is likely, the same way Pogba stopped and even a player like Neves too I believe scores less of those in the PL. His passing seems a bit dull and possibly sloppy in key moments, even if he is a bit creative. I'm also not sure if his centre of gravity and technique is tidy enough to cope with the physicality of PL, I think he lacks a little bit of pace and with his direct style I think he'll get outmuscled on the ball.

I just don't think he is a good fit, but sure for the right price it might be a good risk to take at this moment because we need to replace Lingard either way, worst case he can't be much worse than him or Mata even if he is a bad fit. Above 40m and I think we should stay away. I think he'll be similar to Mkhitaryan in that he'll have moments of brilliance but not contributing enough to our general play, which is why I don't think he is what we need.
Who would you say is a good fit?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Who would you say is a good fit?
Odegaard. Plays both on the right, as the 10 or in a midfield 3. Technically superb, good in small spaces and his speciality is in passing and chance creation rather than being a goalscorer himself. With our set of forwards I could see him get a shitload of assists over the years.

If not him, then someone that ticks those boxes, a key player should be exactly that. Someone that clearly offer qualities that our current players is in need of to function better.

Rish Sawhney

Odegaard. Plays both on the right, as the 10 or in a midfield 3. Technically superb, good in small spaces and his speciality is in passing and chance creation rather than being a goalscorer himself. With our set of forwards I could see him get a shitload of assists over the years.

If not him, then someone that ticks those boxes, a key player should be exactly that. Someone that clearly offer qualities that our current players is in need of to function better.

Might as well say Messi. This isn’t FIFA where you can just go and buy the highest rated player in the position.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I've watched that video twice now, in an effort find out what the hell you're talking about. No dice. No keeper in the world is saving any of those shots, bar one or two.
I agree he might be closed down quicker in the PL but your comment about his goals being down to poor goalkeeping are, quite frankly, ridiculous. I mean the evidence is literally in the video.
The vast majority of those shots are rocketed into the top or bottom corners.
Truth. And claiming that EPL's lower-tier teams (with whom we struggle all the time) have vastly better keepers or defenders than those in Portugal - is nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.