Bruno Fernandes | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibi Dreams

I don't think we'll sign him just because he doesn't fit our team. Sure he fits better than Lingard, but I doubt he is a target we're willing to put a lot of money on the table for and I don't disagree, it would be dumb. His long rage shots might stop going in which is likely, the same way Pogba stopped and even a player like Neves too I believe scores less of those in the PL.
I think Pogba's long range shooting was probably always overrated, he scored a few beauties but never scored them as consistently has Fernandes has.

Withnail

They said exactly the same thing in the summer, when they faced them in the cup final. I thought we were getting him in the summer but I don't believe it now.

My thinking is, why wouldn't we have just bought him in the summer? We're briefing that we won't spend for the sake of it but Bruno doesn't feel like he'd be or first choice so, by that logic, I don't believe we'll panic buy him now. It just doesn't make sense, unless we were lying about not panic buying.
I hear you but it just feels like there's a lot now smoke this time around and our have is definitely behind forced by injuries.

Withnail

I've watched that video twice now, in an effort find out what the hell you're talking about. No dice. No keeper in the world is saving any of those shots, bar one or two.
I agree he might be closed down quicker in the PL but your comment about his goals being down to poor goalkeeping are, quite frankly, ridiculous. I mean the evidence is literally in the video.
The vast majority of those shots are rocketed into the top or bottom corners.
Around half of them are rocketed into the corners as you say.

However, the other half quite literally either go through the keepers hands or the keeper is in the wrong position or they are from so far out without much pace on the ball that a PL keeper is not being beaten. One or two of the free kicks go in via the centre of the goal.

I'd compare it to the Delay situation. He was banging in goals for fun too but I had the same concerns watching his highlight reel.

No one is expected him to score 22 goals from midfield anyway and most observers would agree his output will obviously decrease in the PL.

In saying that, if he's able to score 7 or 8 with a decent number of assists he'll be a decent addition.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I previously thought things were sounding a bit more real than last summer’s bullshit. I reckon if it’s not done by tomorrow night then it’s not happening. There’s more than enough time since it broke to have wrapped this up given the time we’ve supposedly been after him.

It’s beginning to look again like this is all coming from Sporting’s end and we are not interested in doing business anywhere near where they want to.
There's a Lisbon derby tomorrow. There was always 0 chance of this happening before that game. I'd say it's highly unlikely it happens before the Braga game too.

It's true that there have been negotiations, all journalists are saying the same regarding that here. No news yet that a deal has been agreed from anyone credible though

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He has a proper shot, his shooting technique is insane at times. Except for Pogba, we have no player in the squad with half the long shot ability.
True. How i miss seeing those proper long shots.

He's at the right age as well. Hopefully he won't turned into Mkhytarian(?). But like Bernardo Silva, we just have to take a chance.

Withnail

True. How i miss seeing those proper long shots.

He's at the right age as well. Hopefully he won't turned into Mkhytarian(?). But like Bernardo Silva, we just have to take a chance.
You think City took a chance on Bernardo Silva?

He was arguably the highest rated young midfielder that summer after that brilliant young Monaco team had beaten City on route to the CL semi.

Andy_Cole

You think City took a chance on Bernardo Silva?

He was arguably the highest rated young midfielder that summer after that brilliant young Monaco team had beaten City on route to the CL semi.
Yes just like any young player Bernado was a risk.

Cédric Sophie

Can we just wait till the transfer is confirmed and just give the boy a chance to prove himself. Seeing too many negativity around here.

theklr

Many of those are too close to the keeper or don't have enough pace to trouble a PL keeper.

I'd say at least half of those are saved in the PL but I'd take half his current numbers.

In saying that he'd be closed down a lot more so he wouldn't get off as many shots either so it'd likely be lower than that again.
Thing is though, when he has a reputation for scoring from shots - defenders will often close him down, and then he should be good or aware enough to pass the ball further, thereby creating an unbalance in the defence.

If not he can take the shot and possibly create a rebound or corner.

As it is today, the only player the opposition really need to watch in that regards is Rashford, and he isnt really a pass through guy.

NoPace

Who would you say is a good fit?
It's hard to say since we don't know who the manager will be.

Also if Pogba leaves as expected, the midfield should probably be Fred + 2 new signings with McTominay as the first man filling in, and we don't even really know the front 3 though if we don't buy big it'll likely be Rashford-Martial-James with Greenwood getting a lot of playing time.

So, if we buy a pure 10 then we need someone to play alongside Fred behind him, whereas if we buy a box to box player we might play 4-3-3, hard to say. Could even be a new manager who wants to play 4-4-2 to get Rashford up top with Martial/Greenwood and let James play his best position of left wing, in which case we'd need someone who can start on the right and a #8 or holding mid to start with Fred or McTominay and Bruno wouldn't fit at all.

RyRy11

Also if Pogba leaves as expected, the midfield should probably be Fred + 2 new signings with McTominay as the first man filling in, and we don't even really know the front 3 though if we don't buy big it'll likely be Rashford-Martial-James with Greenwood getting a lot of playing time.

So, if we buy a pure 10 then we need someone to play alongside Fred behind him, whereas if we buy a box to box player we might play 4-3-3, hard to say. Could even be a new manager who wants to play 4-4-2 to get Rashford up top with Martial/Greenwood and let James play his best position of left wing, in which case we'd need someone who can start on the right and a #8 or holding mid to start with Fred or McTominay and Bruno wouldn't fit at all.
Ole will get another year here minimum

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

You’re not wrong at all. We do need at least one deeper lying CM, maybe 2, especially if Pogba leaves but for the life of me I can’t see why we shouldn’t make a move and get this guy in as a 10.

We’ve been struggling for 2 full seasons, maybe more simply because we don’t have that creative attacking midfielder. This guy has all the skills we currently lack in that position.

So yes, we still need at least one other CM but why should that mean Bruno doesn’t fit? It just means we still have a hole that needs filling.

romufc

Looks like the club are taking their time, so they need to wait for him to finish the game against Benfica, but what is stopping them working out personal terms?

vanderpants

Bit slow in here over the past 24hrs, hopefully if the speculation is true we will see more movement after tomorrow evening

theklr

As I see it, Ole will get another year, unless he resigns.
He would never resign unless the players turn on him. He is an uncurable eternal optimist. Which is probably why he was such a good poacher.

theklr

Looks like the club are taking their time, so they need to wait for him to finish the game against Benfica, but what is stopping them working out personal terms?
Lots of sources say they are already are in place, I think so too.
Personal terms is usually not a big issue to solve, and especially not when you come from a smaller league/team.

JoaquinJoaquin

The skeptic in me read too much from Ole's post game interview yesterday when he said ''we have no..'' and I felt like he was going to finish that with ''Plans to bring anyone in'' :D

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Anyone said it’s 48 hours away yet today?

romufc

Lots of sources say they are already are in place, I think so too.
Personal terms is usually not a big issue to solve, and especially not when you come from a smaller league/team.
Fair enough, I just hope this gets done. The longer it drags the less confident I am.

I guess we will see some movement on this over the weekend.

Suv666

No way is the transfer being postponed because of the Benfica game, that makes no sense, neither Utd nor Sporting would risk such a massive transfer over one game.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Scholesque. How do people not want him? It's just insane.
Having a good long shots benefit in many ways. Its not just about goals. It forces opponent defensive midfielders to close channels to the person who often makes long shots. This will pull them off their usual formation and puts their central defenders to cover ground. You pair him with strikers with good movements and they will be under heavy pressure to close down or stand off. It causes panic and mayhem, not to mention the fear factor that such shooters from distance can change their entire defensive game plan with a single moment of lapse in concentration. We need players like that. Pogba already doing too many things at once.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No way is the transfer being postponed because of the Benfica game, that makes no sense, neither Utd nor Sporting would risk such a massive transfer over one game.
It's risky, but that's the info we've been given so we have to believe that for now. I don't see why people would make that up? if nothing happens after that game then we can be worried.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That rivalry is taken very seriously. Wining the derby is almost like wining a competition. Also, bare in mind that Sporting squad is bang average this season. Without Bruno they have almost nothing (literally)

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can't attach a tweet or anything as I'm in work but I have just had an alert on my phone from the Bleacher Report app, citing A Bola amongst other Portuguese reports that Bruno will be attending the game at Anfield on Sunday.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Clearly been planned in for early next week. That way if we get a tonking this Sunday it's a pick me up for the fans. And if by some minor miracle we get a pt or even win on Sunday then it will only add to the happiness of the fans when he's announced.

I actually don't think we'd planned to buy him at all this window though. I think injuries have forced our hand somewhat.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That would require planning which we seem incapable of doing.
Surely comments like this are getting boring now?

Did you notice a slew of deals all over Europe being announced on January 1st? A team can’t have it our own way in a market, you don’t just pick and choose when you take other team’s best players.

theklr

If anyone still doubts this transfer now, i'd say they should bet on him staying because the odds must surely be quite good now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.