Bruno Fernandes signs a new contract until 2026+1

jackal&hyde

Very good. Hopefully there was a bit of talk about future plans for the club and things sounded good.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
One of the very few professionals left in the squad who actually did something for this club in last couple of years.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Imagine having a stellar midfield name at the club who tries every week and actually wants to be here.......

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Happy about this, just need someone who is good at converting all the chances this lad creates and we will be going places.

Volksie316

Just hope we see more of the Fernandes who scored a brace for Portugal, than the one who has played awful all season for his club.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Going to be a fair bit of "first 11" number swapping I think with all of 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11 potentially being available. 3, 6 and 8 should be with questions over the other four. Varane would probably get the #4 shirt, Bruno definitely the #8 and Sancho the #11/#7 depending on what goes on with Greenwood and Ronaldo.
I'd like to see Sancho get the 11 jersey.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Has he been offered silly money or has he just gone nuts? He's too good for this team.

Obviously happy about it and hope we can improve but surprised he hasn't waited to see what happens in the summer before committing.

Castia

Brilliant and well deserved

Top class player who set the standards so high there’s not a number 10 on the world producing Bruno’s numbers even this season when he’s not been at his best his numbers speak for themselves.

stu_1992

Delighted with this news. I can't understand anyone who isn't. I must admit I'm a bit surprised he has signed this deal before seeing what direction the club will take with the next manager. Presumably he wants trophies in his career, and right now there's no clear pathway back to success for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great news. He's an excellent player, incredibly productive, really hard worker, loves being here, looks like a very good guy to have around in the dressing room and doesn't cause any controversies ever.

We really need a holding midfielder who can sit and control behind him though. Fred i think is actually a very good partner as the 8, but we really need that sitting guy this summer. Get someone to sit and dictate tempo with passing range from deep and that's an excellent midfield.

Good news and one of the few who deserves it. Think where we would be without him.

Zlatattack

Definitely deserves it, but needs to keep producing the form of the last couple of years. He's not had a good year this year.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The hatred towards him is a bit silly when you think the same people also defended Pogba and Maguire. Those two haven't had an impact as much as Bruno overall. If we can just stop being a goldfish for a minute and think of a player contributions overall and not only the past 6 months before judging a player/contract it'd be nice.

Well deserved. However many passes he has misplaced recently, he's still our most impactful player since joining. Also the one who saved Ole and our arse by getting us top 4. I don't think he's at his peak. He can still improve with a proper manager.

RedDevil@84

What is the rumoured salary? I was shocked when Romano said yesterday about being top 3 in squad

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Has he been offered silly money or has he just gone nuts? He's too good for this team.

Obviously happy about it and hope we can improve but surprised he hasn't waited to see what happens in the summer before committing.
There were a few (probably planted) rumours that he would move on and wasn’t happy. Surprise surprise he signs a new contract.

someday I’d love a player to say “I love it here. I’d sign for life if they want me”

tomaldinho1

He has his flaws but this is good news. We’ve got so many wages freeing up now from Cavani, Pogba, Mata, maybe Ronaldo, Matic, Donny etc. I’ve no issues giving him a fat contract.

Irwin99

Agree with the sentiment that he's the one player that actually does deserve a contract extension/increase. Single-handedly got us 3rd place in his first half season and terrific goals/assist numbers ever since.

Well done Bruno :devil:

RedDevil@84

Who do you think deserves it more?
It is not about who deserves it more. A 240-250k contract is one thing. A 350- 375k contract is a completely different thing. Our top 3 are Ronaldo (470k or more), DDG (375k) and as per rumours Sancho (350k) or Varane (340k).
Surely we don't want to add more people into that bucket.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The hatred towards him is a bit silly when you think the same people also defended Pogba and Maguire. Those two haven't had an impact as much as Bruno overall. If we can just stop being a goldfish for a minute and think of a player contributions overall and not only the past 6 months before judging a player/contract it'd be nice.

Well deserved. However many passes he has misplaced recently, he's still our most impactful player since joining. Also the one who saved Ole and our arse by getting us top 4. I don't think he's at his peak. He can still improve with a proper manager.
Why would you expect Maguire and Pogba to post Bruno stats, if that’s indeed what you mean by impact. They are in no way similar players nor do they play as high up the pitch as Bruno. They register different stats that have impacted the team positively at times.

If you aren’t talking about stats but impact…what is the impact that Bruno has had? What is different now in terms of where we are as a team? Or is it just taking the individual glory and ignoring the possibility that one player hogging chance creation and possession losses can impact the team negatively also?

I’m happy he’s signed, although underwhelmed given he had four years on a contract anyway….hopefully his actual performances and consistency improve. I’m not bothered too much about stats….We don’t create great chances and we don’t create lots of chances, we barely create actual chances so I’d like to see a compilation of the chances Bruno has created this season in comparison to other players.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Why would you expect Maguire and Pogba to post Bruno stats, if that’s indeed what you mean by impact. They are in no way similar players nor do they play as high up the pitch as Bruno. They register different stats that have impacted the team positively at times.

If you aren’t talking about stats but impact…what is the impact that Bruno has had? What is different now in terms of where we are as a team? Or is it just taking the individual glory and ignoring the possibility that one player hogging chance creation and possession losses can impact the team negatively also?

I’m happy he’s signed, although underwhelmed given he had four years on a contract anyway….hopefully his actual performances and consistency improve. I’m not bothered too much about stats….We don’t create great chances and we don’t create lots of chances, we barely create actual chances so I’d like to see a compilation of the chances Bruno has created this season in comparison to other players.
The answer was in my post. Hepled us getting top 4 from his goals and assists and helped Ole from getting sacked, that was when the team struggled, he lifted the teams spirit up. Those arent statistics, they dont even contain numbers, those are facts. No other Utd player made such a huge difference to the club since Fergie left I would say.

Pogba can certainly do it, an on form Pogba is an asset to any team. Maguire can certainly make a big impact if he is a reliable defender and can go back to playing confidently. But they havent been as impactful as Bruno overall. Can is not the same as actually doing it. Its not always goals and assists. I can remember games where the old De Gea saved or won us points.

Last edited:
We don’t create great chances and we don’t create lots of chances, we barely create actual chances so I’d like to see a compilation of the chances Bruno has created this season in comparison to other players.
FBRef says he's third in the league in expected assists, behind only Salah and Alexander-Arnold. Controlling for minutes played, he's 5th after Trent, Salah, Reece James and De Bruyne. Second after De Bruyne in key passes per 90, and third after Trent/Cancelo in completed passes into the box

So clearly very good at creating chances relative to the rest of the league, and on another planet within our squad (his expected assists number for the season is 7.9, and our next best is Sancho with 3.8).

This is incredible news, he and Sancho are the two players in this squad in the keep-at-all-costs category.

Last edited:

VidaMata

It is not about who deserves it more. A 240-250k contract is one thing. A 350- 375k contract is a completely different thing. Our top 3 are Ronaldo (470k or more), DDG (375k) and as per rumours Sancho (350k) or Varane (340k).
Surely we don't want to add more people into that bucket.
He is our future captain and most valuable player. He definitely deserves more than Sancho or Varane, so you can't ask him to accept 30% less. It's not his mistake that our executives behave like they print money.