Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Vandelay

But if they reject a bid over £35m they have to pay Fernandes £5m, is that correct?
Yeah that's the clause. A release clause means they have to accept the offer, this clause means they just have to give him £5m. They probably didn't anticipate him putting up those numbers and the market going as mental as it has when they put that clause in. They probably thought £35m would be a very reasonable offer that they would have accepted. Now the market is very different though and he's worth more than they anticipated so it all looks a bit weird.

Allas8

Poor guy. Scores a shed load and no one wants him :lol:
Half of them is peneltys, and he already failed at Sampdoria. Ryan Sessegnon also scored a lot of goal in a better league then the Portuguese league, but was not able to replicate it in the Premiership. Joao Felix was sold for future potential, after performing well in the Europa League as a example.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Interested to see how he gets on v Liverpool on 24th July.
We will get rinsed by Liverpool but will be nice to see him vs a high level opposiiton.

Sportng have been abysmal but Fernandes has 3 foals and 1 assist in 3 pre season games so far so he is continuing where he left off last season.

SportingCP96

Supports
Half of them is peneltys, and he already failed at Sampdoria. Ryan Sessegnon also scored a lot of goal in a better league then the Portuguese league, but was not able to replicate it in the Premiership. Joao Felix was sold for future potential, after performing well in the Europa League as a example.
Wrong wrong and just wrong. He has over 100 games in serie A by the age of 21 and was a starter at Udinese for a few seasons alongside Di Natale. Sampdoria fans also rated him highly and thought the coach was the problem.

He then went to the Portuguese league and has been by far the best player in the league both seasons he was here. Also unlike Felix he has played and performed well in the CL and EL.

Felix played 2 EL games. Felix is not better than Bruno atm.(though he could be in the future).

Also half of his goals are not penalties that is another lie. 33 goals and 18 assists last season.

The big 3 in Portugal would steam roll the championship. A little more respect for leagues that are not the english league please.

Sessengon failed because he was never that good to begin with.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Wrong wrong and just wrong. He has over 100 games in serie A by the age of 21 and was a starter at Udinese for a few seasons alongside Di Natale. Sampdoria fans also rated him highly and thought the coach was the problem.

He then went to the Portuguese league and has been by far the best player in the league both seasons he was here. Also unlike Felix he has played and performed well in the CL and EL.

Felix played 2 EL games. Felix is not better than Bruno atm.(though he could be in the future).

Also half of his goals are not penalties that is another lie. 33 goals and 18 assists last season.

The big 3 in Portugal would steam roll the championship. A little more respect for leagues that are not the english league please.

Whilst I agree with all of this, Sessegnon is 18, don't call him a failure, that's daft.

SportingCP96

Supports
Whilst I agree with all of this, Sessegnon is 18, don't call him a failure, that's daft.
He is still young obviously and can turn it around but what I was saying was he was massively hyped for someone who had only played championship level football. I said he failed but I did not call him a failure. He is still young as you said.

Allas8

I might be wrong, but that is what clubs are going to see when they try to sign him, someone moving from the Italian league to the Portuguese league, clearly a step down career wise, and someone scoring a lot of goals from the 11 meter mark. By next season he will be 25 years old, you already expect him to be performing well, one thing is if he is 20 and pulling these numbers, but he is not. Going to take a season to adjust to English football, and by that time there is going to be some new hot CAM prospect breaking through.

SportingCP96

Supports
I might be wrong, but that is what clubs are going to see when they try to sign him, someone moving from the Italian league to the Portuguese league, clearly a step down career wise, and someone scoring a lot of goals from the 11 meter mark. By next season he will be 25 years old, you already expect him to be performing well, one thing is if he is 20 and pulling these numbers, but he is not. Going to take a season to adjust to English football, and by that time there is going to be some new hot CAM prospect breaking through.
If you are good enough you will adjust fine. He is not a system player and has the qualities to succeed. He took a step down in league maybe but he went to a club that gave him a lot more exposure especially in European competitions. It was probably the best move he could have done. Most of his goals are not from the penalty spot Either like I said. Since when is 25 old? 25 is young it is not even someones prime. Many players join the EPL and perform well the first season. That whole theory of "ohh its the EPL" never made any sense to me. If you are good enough you can play in any league.

dasty

You're daft af if you think Championship is a better league than the Portuguese league. There is a reason why Wolves steamrolled the Championship without breaking a sweat after getting a few players from the Portuguese League. Benfica, Porto or even Sporting would completely crush the Championship and break all points records if they play there.

SportingCP96

Supports
Joao Moutinho, Bernado Silva, Diogo Jota, Raul Jimenez, Neves, all players who did just fine in there first season in the EPL. Moutinho even came to the EPL past his prime and still was the best player at Wolves. Diogo Jota could not start at Porto but was a star in Wolves. Patricio as well in Wolves etc. Jimenez was not a starter at Benfica either. Javier Hernandez joined United as well from Mexico a even worse league and did just fine in the EPL his first season. @Allas8

Allas8

Joao Moutinho, Bernado Silva, Diogo Jota, Raul Jimenez, Neves, all players who did just fine in there first season in the EPL. Moutinho even came to the EPL past his prime and still was the best player at Wolves. Diogo Jota could not start at Porto but was a star in Wolves. Patricio as well in Wolves etc. Jimenez was not a starter at Benfica either. Javier Hernandez joined United as well from Mexico a even worse league and did just fine in the EPL his first season. @Allas8
These are all Porto and Benfica players? Also should not the fact that they where willing to sign for a Championship side while playing for the top Portuguese teams be a indicator that its a step up for them? Is Bruno Fernandes any better then Joao Moutinho? And 25 year is consider a old signing ever since we sacked Mourinho.

No one is questioning the fact that Porto and Benfica are good teams, just like Celtic and Rangers are good teams, does not make the Scottish league better then Championship.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
These are all Porto and Benfica players? Also should not the fact that they where willing to sign for a Championship side while playing for the top Portuguese teams be a indicator that its a step up for them? Is Bruno Fernandes any better then Joao Moutinho? And 25 year is consider a old signing ever since we sacked Mourinho.

No one is questioning the fact that Porto and Benfica are good teams, just like Celtic and Rangers are good teams, does not make the Scottish league better then Championship.
Yes he's better than Moutinho. Very different players though.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Dont think iv ever seen so much misinformed rubbish in so few words.

SportingCP96

Supports

*And Sporting.

So you asked weren't they all Benfica and Porto players? well first off Moutinho was a Sporting player and second off if you want to go by the metric that Benfica and Porto are better then that makes Bruno Fernandes even better because he scored 33 goals and had 18 assist in a much worse team. Imagine if he was in those teams then...?

Sporting, Benfica, and Porto would walk over every single championship club.

I think you are saying a lot of things though misinformation.

Allas8

*And Sporting.

So you asked weren't they all Benfica and Porto players? well first off Moutinho was a Sporting player and second off if you want to go by the metric that Benfica and Porto are better then that makes Bruno Fernandes even better because he scored 33 goals and had 18 assist in a much worse team. Imagine if he was in those teams then...?

Sporting, Benfica, and Porto would walk over every single championship club.

I think you are saying a lot of things though misinformation.
How much better is Bruno Fernandes then Chiquinho (24 year old AM), who had 7 assist and 8 goals in the league for a even worse team?

Last edited:

dasty

Porto and Benfica are not even in the same ball park as Celtic and Rangers. They are way better than those two and their results in Europe shows that. Clearly. Benfica alone had sold Jimenez, Felix, Jovic, Ederson, Semedo, Lindelof, Guedes, Cancelo, Oblak and B.Silva in the past 5 years. These are all players that would be by far the best player in Championship if they ever played there, with no one even close to them in terms of ability.

Bruno is voted as the best player in the Portuguese League two years in a row, and not even fans of their bitter rivals in Porto or Benfica would argue against that decision. That's how good he is - at the moment clearly better than players from Porto or Benfica, teams that will easily crush your beloved Champhionship teams.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is probably a fine player, especially so for a team that have a vacant position and that suits him and can afford to take a risk on a potential big money flop. In my opinion we're simply not in a situation where we can afford much more bad transfers, and we've made a few ill advised buys.
It is a huge step up for any player coming from that league and to the PL, and you would be buying him on the basis of a terrific goalscoring record last season, yet he isn't a striker. What if he stops scoring or assisting in a new and tougher league, then you're ultimately left with another player not fit for purpose. We haven't been lucky with offensive midfielders like Mata, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez and this screams to me like it would be that type of a signing where we get too exited and prioritise an area that is not of immediate concern to us. If we're looking for creativity, shouldn't we rather get a dangerous player that can cause problems on the right so we're not so one sided and we can rather let Pogba unfold his creativity with more space centrally.

mad1max954

I think this guy could be a vital piece in the rebuild. I don’t think we can go into the new season relying predominantly on the kid James, gomes, Greenwood, Chong (who isn’t ready) and to an extent rashford, even if it will be exciting to see how they get on. We need this guy to settle it all down with a bit more experience alongside pogba.

I’d rather get him then Maguire as I
Personally feel that with the athletic attacking player we have and the pressure we can put on teams, it could well alleviate our defensive woes significantly

Sell lukaku - he won’t work with how we want to play. Even if it’s at a small loss providing we can put the money towards this guy.

If we get both I think we will get top 4 comfortably

Artorias

Porto and Benfica are not even in the same ball park as Celtic and Rangers. They are way better than those two and their results in Europe shows that. Clearly. Benfica alone had sold Jimenez, Felix, Jovic, Ederson, Semedo, Lindelof, Guedes, Cancelo, Oblak and B.Silva in the past 5 years. These are all players that would be by far the best player in Championship if they ever played there, with no one even close to them in terms of ability.

Bruno is voted as the best player in the Portuguese League two years in a row, and not even fans of their bitter rivals in Porto or Benfica would argue against that decision. That's how good he is - at the moment clearly better than players from Porto or Benfica, teams that will easily crush your beloved Champhionship teams.
People give too much importance to this "not a EPL player, then is bad" thing. Just sell Lukaku and get SMS or this guy.

SportingCP96

Supports
How much better is Bruno Fernandes then Chiquinho (24 year old AM), who had 7 assist and 8 goals in the league for a even worse team?
Are you actually comparing these two? I don’t know if you are trolling or not but I don’t think you have got a clue about the Portuguese league at all.

We are talking about a player who won league MVP 2 season in a row with amazing numbers. He carried Sporting this season and without him we would have been 5th place most likely. Chiquinho can’t light a candle to Bruno.

Don’t know what your hate for him or Portuguese league players are but look at most top Teams in the world and you have players who have played in our league.

SportingCP96

Supports

He is either trolling or misinformed about the league. They have been downplayed tremendously in this thread.

Jezpeza

He is either trolling or misinformed about the league. They have been downplayed tremendously in this thread.
Theres a few trolling him. Someone one here was banging on about all his goals being penalties and tap ins. I watched his highlights reel and wow some of the finishing, long shots and free kicks are brilliant. Not sure about the rest of his play but the goalscoring is there

SportingCP96

Supports
Theres a few trolling him. Someone one here was banging on about all his goals being penalties and tap ins. I watched his highlights reel and wow some of the finishing, long shots and free kicks are brilliant. Not sure about the rest of his play but the goalscoring is there
Much more than just goals. People have not seen him live. The best compliment I can give him is he is our best player in 15 years and for me personally he is the best player I have ever seen play in Sporting in my lifetime (I am 23). If he was to flop I would be the first to show face on here but I know the qualities he has. As I said before he has a Christian Eriksen ceiling(IMO).

SportingCP96

Supports
This is him in Udinese:

This is in Sampdoria:

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Obviously we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes in transfer dealings, or whoever our real targets actually are but if we aren't in for this guy, we should be. No matter who else comes or goes. I can't help but think we are in for him but will manage to feck it up, either by waiting too long or haggling too much over the price.
This guy looks like the real deal. If he brings his current form to United, then he's more than worth 70m. But I think we're trying to be too clever and exploit that weird clause in his contract.

All the signs point towards this being an easy transfer to do. The price is pretty much set. They player seems willing to come, the club are willing to sell. He'd be a brilliant signing for us. Weird that it so protracted.

Le Red

What a load of shit. "Half of them is peneltys". Go look the stats before sowing misinformation. Your post is as good as your spelling.

SportingCP96

Supports
Obviously we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes in transfer dealings, or whoever our real targets actually are but if we aren't in for this guy, we should be. No matter who else comes or goes. I can't help but think we are in for him but will manage to feck it up, either by waiting too long or haggling too much over the price.
This guy looks like the real deal. If he brings his current form to United, then he's more than worth 70m. But I think we're trying to be too clever and exploit that weird clause in his contract.

All the signs point towards this being an easy transfer to do. The price is pretty much set. They player seems willing to come, the club are willing to sell. He'd be a brilliant signing for us. Weird that it so protracted.
I think United keep trying to get the lowest price possible but I think that will play against them. Sporting's president is not the best negotiator AT ALL so IF United offered 55M plus add ons or 60M plus add ons I would be surprised if he would not make that deal.

I think there is too much smoke for United not to be in for him I think it is quite obvious they have identified him as a prime target and want him but don't want to break the bank.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I think United keep trying to get the lowest price possible but I think that will play against them. Sporting's president is not the best negotiator AT ALL so IF United offered 55M plus add ons or 60M plus add ons I would be surprised if he would not make that deal.

I think there is too much smoke for United not to be in for him I think it is quite obvious they have identified him as a prime target and want him but don't want to break the bank.
Neither is braindead Woodward.

SportingCP96

Supports

Apparently United have now offered 62M.

I truly believe he will be a United player by August 8th.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman

Neither is braindead Woodward.
Now all I can imagine is Sporting President and Ed Woodward in some sort of surreal, Monty Python-like negotiation, where both guys are haggling worse deals for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.