Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Now all I can imagine is Sporting President and Ed Woodward in some sort of surreal, Monty Python-like negotiation, where both guys are haggling worse deals for themselves.
Very possible. We have "sold" 4 players this transfer window for AIR pretty much as we have received nothing. He is an absolute clown but I would bet a healthy sum he wont be president for long but that is a topic for another day.

SportingCP96

Supports
:lol: If we sign Bruno, you can do what the hell you like! :D
I think United will get this over the line. As much as I would hate to see him leave Sporting I would love to see him succeed at United and scoring bangers at Old Trafford.

SportingCP96

Supports
If it does, United should just give Sporting a 50m bonus, for services rendered!
I actually kind of wish both clubs would participate in more friendly games. I wish they established a partnership that would benefit both clubs.

Allas8

Are you actually comparing these two? I don’t know if you are trolling or not but I don’t think you have got a clue about the Portuguese league at all.

We are talking about a player who won league MVP 2 season in a row with amazing numbers. He carried Sporting this season and without him we would have been 5th place most likely. Chiquinho can’t light a candle to Bruno.

Don’t know what your hate for him or Portuguese league players are but look at most top Teams in the world and you have players who have played in our league.
Never claimed I watch Portuguese football. So Bruno Fernades got 14 goals and 14 assist in the Portuguese league last season if you exclude peneltys, where Chiquinho got 8 goals and 7 assist, for a worse team. So if you are downplaying Chiquinho accomplishments, it shows that the Portuguese league aint all that. Don't get blinded by amazing numbers, Ryan Sessegnon got 15 goals and 6 assist the season he played in the Championship, but could not replicate it in Premier League. There is lots of really good Portuguese players, no doubt about that, but when you are 24 years old I expect you to have already been able to move away from the Portuguese league, atleast if you want a move to the big clubs like Manchester United.

SportingCP96

Supports
Never claimed I watch Portuguese football. So Bruno Fernades got 14 goals and 14 assist in the Portuguese league last season if you exclude peneltys, where Chiquinho got 8 goals and 7 assist, for a worse team. So if you are downplaying Chiquinho accomplishments, it shows that the Portuguese league aint all that. Don't get blinded by amazing numbers, Ryan Sessegnon got 15 goals and 6 assist the season he played in the Championship, but could not replicate it in Premier League. There is lots of really good Portuguese players, no doubt about that, but when you are 24 years old I expect you to have already been able to move away from the Portuguese league, atleast if you want a move to the big clubs like Manchester United.
Modric moved to spurs at 23 years old from a very bad league (Croatian league).

Drogba became a pro at 21 moved to Chelsea at 24.

Many more examples of this. Bruno Fernandes is head and shoulders above any player in the Portuguese league.

EDIT: Moutinho was in his late 20s when he left Porto and he could start in any team in the EPL bar maybe city. Many players have no problem staying in big clubs like Benfica, Porto, Sporting. Clubs who regularly go far in Europe and clubs who give them great exposure.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

We've been about to bid 'this week' for the whole window now. I reckon we've moved on if there was any genuine interest from us.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This is the player we need right now and we can have a better team - get him.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This one is next on Woody's to do list after Maguire is sorted I reckon. Hopefully the transfer window hasn't slammed shut by then.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So is that Nicolo Schira guy worth believing then?
Hard to say, a few years ago he was completely full of shit. Recently he’s got a couple before the curve. I think he was the first with Haller to West Ham and some other. I did some research on his claims the other day, but couldn’t find anything this window that proved to be bullshit.

Steve Bruce

This one is next on Woody's to do list after Maguire is sorted I reckon. Hopefully the transfer window hasn't slammed shut by then.
I think the Maguire signing is dead in the water. LCFC want far too much, IMO we've already offered far too much and it was turned down.

I think we'll be lucky to sign one more player for the first team before the window shuts.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Thought at the start of the window we’d get him and I’ve not changed my mind. Far too much smoke around this and we seem to have no competition for him.

ManchesterYoda

Statistically, last season he had the highest average rating in Portugal's league.
Position breakdown - 11 games AMC: 7.47 (6 goals and assists). 22 games MC: 7.88 (23 goals and assists).
Strengths
Very strong: Crossing, key passes, long shots, taking set-pieces
Strong: Direct free-kicks, dribbling, finishing, passing, through-balls, defensive contribution.
Emboldened what I consider most important, the other strengths are nice bonuses to have in your locker. Example providing set piece deliveries to Maguire :p

The Bloody-Nine

Thought at the start of the window we’d get him and I’ve not changed my mind. Far too much smoke around this and we seem to have no competition for him.
There was an incredible amount of smoke around Garay and Gaitan, too. Turned out to be just that. Smoke and nothing more.

We even 'signed' Garay.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/386200/Manchester-United-sign-Benfica-s-Ezequiel-Garay

We also agreed to sign Gaitan.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...-for-20m-plus-Fabio-and-Federico-Macheda.html

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There was an incredible amount of smoke around Garay and Gaitan, too. Turned out to be just that. Smoke and nothing more.

We even 'signed' Garay.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/386200/Manchester-United-sign-Benfica-s-Ezequiel-Garay

We also agreed to sign Gaitan.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...-for-20m-plus-Fabio-and-Federico-Macheda.html
True, but the scouting trips and the fact this lad has actually done something worth buying AND in position we need. I really don’t think this is the same, personally.

Crustanoid

So Woody is considering thinking about planning to make preparations to consider a bid? Woody in the transfer window reminds me of Rimmer’s timetable. Any red dwarf fans familiar with this?

In fact, it was now possible for Rimmer to revise solidly for three months and not learn anything at all.

The first week of study, he would always devote to the construction of a revision timetable. Weeks of patient effort would be spent planning, designing and creating a revision schedule which, when finished, were minor works of art.

Every hour of every day was subdivided into different study periods, each labelled in his lovely, tiny copperplate hand; then painted over in watercolours, a different colour for each subject, the colours gradually becoming bolder and more urgent shades as the exam time approached. The effect was as if a myriad tiny rainbows had splintered and sprinkled across the poster-sized sheet of creamwove card.

The only problem was this: because the timetables often took seven or eight weeks, and sometimes more, to complete, by the time Rimmer had finished them the exam was almost on him. He'd then have to cram three months of astronavigation revision into a single week. Gripped by an almost deranging panic, he'd then decide to sacrifice the first two days of that final week to the making of another timetable. This time for someone who had to pack three months of revision into five days.

Because five days now had to accommodate three months' work, the first thing that had to go was sleep. To prepare for an unrelenting twenty-four hours a day sleep-free schedule, Rimmer would spend the whole of the first remaining day in bed - to be extra, ultra fresh, so he would be able to squeeze three whole months of revision into four short days.

Within an hour of getting up the next morning, he would feel inexplicably exhausted, and start early on his supply of Go-Double-Plus caffeine tablets. By lunchtime he'd overdose, and have to make the journey down to the ship's medical unit for a sedative to help him calm down. The sedative usually sent him off to sleep, and he'd wake up the following morning with only three days left, and an anxiety that was so crippling he could scarcely move. A month of revision to be crammed into each day.

At this point he would start smoking. A lifelong nonsmoker, he'd become a forty-a-day man. He'd spend the whole day pacing up and down his room, smoking three or four cigarettes at a time, stopping occasionally to stare at the titles in his bookcase, not knowing which one to read first, and popping twice the recommended dosage of dogworming tablets, which he erroneously believed to contain amphetamine.

Realising he was getting nowhere, he'd try to get rid of his soul-bending tension by treating himself to an evening in one of Red Dwarf's quieter bars. There he would sit, in the plastic oak-beamed 'Happy Astro' pub, nursing a small beer, grimly trying to be light-hearted and totally relaxed. Two small beers and three hours of stomach-knotting relaxation later, he would go back to his bunk and spend half the night awake, praying to a God he didn't believe in for a miracle that couldn't happen.

Two days to go, and ravaged by the combination of anxiety, nicotine, caffeine tablets, alcohol he wasn't used to, dog-worming pills, and overall exhaustion, he would sleep in till mid-afternoon.

After a long scream, he would rationalize that the day was a total write-off, and the rest of the afternoon would be spent shopping for the three best alarm clocks money could buy. This would often take five or six hours, and he would arrive back at his sleeping quarters exhausted, but knowing he was fully prepared for the final day's revision before his exam.

Waking at four-thirty in the morning, after exercising, showering and breakfasting, he would sit down to prepare a final, final revision timetable, which would condense three months of revision into twelve short hours. This done, he would give up and go back to bed. Maybe he didn't know a single thing about astronavigation, but at least he'd be fresh for the exam the next day.

Which is why Rimmer failed exams.

Which is why he'd received nine 'F's for fail and two 'X's for unclassified. The first 'X' he'd achieved when he'd actually managed to get hold of some real amphetamines, gone into spasm and collapsed two minutes into the exam; and the second when anxiety got so much the better of him his subconscious forced him to deny his own existence, and he had written 'I am a fish' five hundred times on every single answer sheet. He'd even gone out for extra paper. What was more shocking than anything was that he'd thought he'd done quite well.

Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (abridged)

Eric's Seagull

So Woody is considering thinking about planning to make preparations to consider a bid? Woody in the transfer window reminds me of Rimmer’s timetable. Any red dwarf fans familiar with this?

In fact, it was now possible for Rimmer to revise solidly for three months and not learn anything at all.

The first week of study, he would always devote to the construction of a revision timetable. Weeks of patient effort would be spent planning, designing and creating a revision schedule which, when finished, were minor works of art.

Every hour of every day was subdivided into different study periods, each labelled in his lovely, tiny copperplate hand; then painted over in watercolours, a different colour for each subject, the colours gradually becoming bolder and more urgent shades as the exam time approached. The effect was as if a myriad tiny rainbows had splintered and sprinkled across the poster-sized sheet of creamwove card.

The only problem was this: because the timetables often took seven or eight weeks, and sometimes more, to complete, by the time Rimmer had finished them the exam was almost on him. He'd then have to cram three months of astronavigation revision into a single week. Gripped by an almost deranging panic, he'd then decide to sacrifice the first two days of that final week to the making of another timetable. This time for someone who had to pack three months of revision into five days.

Because five days now had to accommodate three months' work, the first thing that had to go was sleep. To prepare for an unrelenting twenty-four hours a day sleep-free schedule, Rimmer would spend the whole of the first remaining day in bed - to be extra, ultra fresh, so he would be able to squeeze three whole months of revision into four short days.

Within an hour of getting up the next morning, he would feel inexplicably exhausted, and start early on his supply of Go-Double-Plus caffeine tablets. By lunchtime he'd overdose, and have to make the journey down to the ship's medical unit for a sedative to help him calm down. The sedative usually sent him off to sleep, and he'd wake up the following morning with only three days left, and an anxiety that was so crippling he could scarcely move. A month of revision to be crammed into each day.

At this point he would start smoking. A lifelong nonsmoker, he'd become a forty-a-day man. He'd spend the whole day pacing up and down his room, smoking three or four cigarettes at a time, stopping occasionally to stare at the titles in his bookcase, not knowing which one to read first, and popping twice the recommended dosage of dogworming tablets, which he erroneously believed to contain amphetamine.

Realising he was getting nowhere, he'd try to get rid of his soul-bending tension by treating himself to an evening in one of Red Dwarf's quieter bars. There he would sit, in the plastic oak-beamed 'Happy Astro' pub, nursing a small beer, grimly trying to be light-hearted and totally relaxed. Two small beers and three hours of stomach-knotting relaxation later, he would go back to his bunk and spend half the night awake, praying to a God he didn't believe in for a miracle that couldn't happen.

Two days to go, and ravaged by the combination of anxiety, nicotine, caffeine tablets, alcohol he wasn't used to, dog-worming pills, and overall exhaustion, he would sleep in till mid-afternoon.

After a long scream, he would rationalize that the day was a total write-off, and the rest of the afternoon would be spent shopping for the three best alarm clocks money could buy. This would often take five or six hours, and he would arrive back at his sleeping quarters exhausted, but knowing he was fully prepared for the final day's revision before his exam.

Waking at four-thirty in the morning, after exercising, showering and breakfasting, he would sit down to prepare a final, final revision timetable, which would condense three months of revision into twelve short hours. This done, he would give up and go back to bed. Maybe he didn't know a single thing about astronavigation, but at least he'd be fresh for the exam the next day.

Which is why Rimmer failed exams.

Which is why he'd received nine 'F's for fail and two 'X's for unclassified. The first 'X' he'd achieved when he'd actually managed to get hold of some real amphetamines, gone into spasm and collapsed two minutes into the exam; and the second when anxiety got so much the better of him his subconscious forced him to deny his own existence, and he had written 'I am a fish' five hundred times on every single answer sheet. He'd even gone out for extra paper. What was more shocking than anything was that he'd thought he'd done quite well.

Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (abridged)
Not sure if there is much in the story but PSG are supposedly interested. Do you think this may have made Woody consider a bid?

w1thout

If we are indeed after that profile of player, why not go for Fekir instead for half the price ?
I just don't think there's something in the rumors.

kirk buttercup

Maguire in the next few days Bruno the following week business concluded. I have no evidence or facts here just my feeling

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we are indeed after that profile of player, why not go for Fekir instead for half the price ?
I just don't think there's something in the rumors.
Because his knees are about to explode.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I guess ‘Manchester United will this week make a bid to Sporting Lisbon for Bruno Fernandes’.

In the words of Young Adz ‘this is the last time, but not the last time like before’.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Interested to see how he gets on v Liverpool on 24th July.
I will be there but why the game in New York beats me because Im on vacation probably will take me more than 3 hours to get there and another 3 hours to get back, the traffic is horrendous there with no game and will be terrible after the game...

Eric's Seagull

Maguire in the next few days Bruno the following week business concluded. I have no evidence or facts here just my feeling
I reallly hope you are right on this and Woody pulls off something decent and starts making some signings soon. I just hope he doesn't leave it very late in the transfer market if these signings don't get done as we will have to even higher fees in an already crazy market as clubs will know are desperate for player who may or may bot be as good as out original targets and also there is a chance he could leave it so long we no time to negotiate alternatives which I dread. I don't leaving transfers towards the end of the window :nervous:

MrKazek

He's a left-footed RW, lacks top end pace (not slow but not fast enough to be a proper star) but otherwise very good overall attacking winger. I think he'd walk into our team at RW and it would be James and Martial fighting for the left-sided spot with Rashford of course up top.

I continue to remain completely confused and upset that the club hasn't brought in him, Neres, Ziyech or even some less proven young winger they like that I haven't seen enough to feel strongly about like Brais Mendez or Skov even a previously elite prospect/young player who has remade his career and should be hitting their prime right about now like Deulofeu or Berardi (who was expected to be great but stagnated and has since rebuilt his career and is 24, seems like the kind of guy who would be excited to come here and not an insane fee, though I don't watch enough to have a strong opinion).

It just seems bizarre to me that the club hasn't found a RW available for 20 or 30M in the entire world that they think can sign for us and improve. Especially since the Prem's inflated fees mean we could basically bankroll it with a sale of Lingard and Rojo, who I don't think anyone expects to be manifestly better than their competition from the younger ranks like Pereira/Gomez for Lingard or Tuanzebe for Rojo.
Haha I know the player you're talking about but his name is not Malcolm! It is Malcom :drool:

I don't think so he would be an option for us. He would be another Depay in PL or even worse. He's not top class player at all

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I just have trouble believing in the Bruno speculation, I just think the deal would have been concluded ages ago if there was any genuine substance.
Unless the transfer budget of £100m is true, and we can't afford Bruno until we know for sure how much a CB will cost.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I just have trouble believing in the Bruno speculation, I just think the deal would have been concluded ages ago if there was any genuine substance.
Unless the transfer budget of £100m is true, and we can't afford Bruno until we know for sure how much a CB will cost.
I think it's more like we can afford to negotiate harder on Bruno as we have no competition for him. Focus will be on structuring a deal for Maguire and also getting rid of Lukaku for the right price.

kirk buttercup

If we sign Maguire for even 60 + add ons we have already blown that 100m myth as we signed James and AWB too .

Status
Not open for further replies.