Bruno Guimarães | Newcastle United

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Never mind you guys sleeping on him, we've been linked multiple times to him since his days in Brazil, & every transfer window at Lyon, we just never pulled the trigger. We even got trolled in his unveiling video!

He'd be a perfect partner for Partey. Hope Edu watched that and cried a little.

Hackman2210

Are you kidding me? Joelinton was ridiculed for being a travesty of a striker, he is 25 years old and just got repositioned into being a very average midfielder instead. Newcastle have been bottom of the table all season and will finish 12th or something like that, let’s not pretend he is something he is not.
hes not the same player - since January he’s been unplayable. I’m telling you he’s top quality. If you want an average player - see Paul pogba.

TheRedHearted

hes not the same player - since January he’s been unplayable. I’m telling you he’s top quality. If you want an average player - see Paul pogba.
Pogba 21/22
20 matches
1 goal
9 assists

Joelinton
34 matched
4 goals
1 assists

Doesn’t seem like they play a similar role at all.

pogba -twice as many goal contributions with 14 less games.

Hackman2210

Pogba 21/22
20 matches
1 goal
9 assists

Joelinton
34 matched
4 goals
1 assists

Doesn’t seem like they play a similar role at all.

pogba -twice as many goal contributions with 14 less games.
Look with your eyes - watch the arsenal v Newcastle game. He posses all over smith Rowe, elnanny and zhaka.
He is a beast of a player.
I can’t believe people still think pogba is/was good! Depressing.

SAF is the GOAT

If not Tchouameni, Bruno G is my second choice for our DM but now it won't happen unfortunately.

Charles Miller

Look with your eyes - watch the arsenal v Newcastle game. He posses all over smith Rowe, elnanny and zhaka.
Pogba is a world class player who is not playing well for whatever reason. I dont think they are comparable. On the other hand, if Joelinton was signed as midfielder and had this same level we see now, the perception about him would be much more positive, because in football the first impression counts a lot. People make their minds about a player and struggle to change.

Pickle85

Are you seriously talking about joelinton here?

Hackman2210

Joelinton is one of only two players in the Premier League to have over 30 contributions in five separate defensive midfield statistics this season. Along with Declan Rice of West Ham, the Brazilianhas been measured to have made upwards of 30 in the following metrics: tackles made, interceptions made, clearances made, take-ons completed, and aerial duels won according to stat site Squawka

that’s my last post on the subject. I’d take him or guimares in our midfield anyway. They’d eat pogba alive.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
That is a midfield best suited for fighting relegation. Not really something to write home about.

TsuWave

This guy is so good. Newly rich Newcastle will never sell though

Blood Mage

Fantastic player. If the Newcastle revolution doesn't gather pace quickly a top club will snap this guy up soon.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Never mind you guys sleeping on him, we've been linked multiple times to him since his days in Brazil, & every transfer window at Lyon, we just never pulled the trigger. We even got trolled in his unveiling video!

He'd be a perfect partner for Partey. Hope Edu watched that and cried a little.
Don't understand why Edu didn't go for him in the end.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
First time I've seen this lad play and he does look good, combative and can pick a pass

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Stood out at Lyon for about a year at least (was getting hyped for a year), and was an obvious class signing. feck knows why we didn't go in for him. Arsenal was going in hard and really dropped the ball not getting him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Stood out at Lyon for about a year at least (was getting hyped for a year), and was an obvious class signing. feck knows why we didn't go in for him. Arsenal was going in hard and really dropped the ball not getting him.
Edu dropped the ball big time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I wrote a number of posts about how we should sign him when he was still playing in Brazil for Athletico Paranaense. There was a Arsenal supporter on here who asked me about Guimaraes at the time and I told him/her that Arsenal should sign him because of the players potential and a very reasonable buy out fee. Lyon took the opportunity and made a tidy profit a few years later.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Lots of revisionism here. He was more of a risk than Depay, Fekir, and so many others in that ‘Could be incredible’ bracket. Ziyech and van de Beek looked more certain. Transfers are hard

Newcastle are doing lots right. Had he been just ok, they could have recouped their costs I expect.

marktan

I wrote a number of posts about how we should sign him when he was still playing in Brazil for Athletico Paranaense. There was a Arsenal supporter on here who asked me about Guimaraes at the time and I told him/her that Arsenal should sign him because of the players potential and a very reasonable buy out fee. Lyon took the opportunity and made a tidy profit a few years later.
How did you become aware of him when he was playing in Brazil? Would be cool to be able to know more of up and coming players from lesser leagues.

Tbf I barely ever watch the French league either. I'm sure the better run clubs have a list of the best players in each position in each league, I know Monchi said this is how Sevilla scoot their players. Would be cool to have a caf version of this.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
How did you become aware of him when he was playing in Brazil? Would be cool to be able to know more of up and coming players from lesser leagues.

Tbf I barely ever watch the French league either. I'm sure the better run clubs have a list of the best players in each position in each league, I know Monchi said this is how Sevilla scoot their players. Would be cool to have a caf version of this.
It's simple really. You'd have to follow the league he plays in.

bosnian_red

Lots of revisionism here. He was more of a risk than Depay, Fekir, and so many others in that ‘Could be incredible’ bracket. Ziyech and van de Beek looked more certain. Transfers are hard

Newcastle are doing lots right. Had he been just ok, they could have recouped their costs I expect.
Nah not with Guimaraes. He was dominating the French league and standing out in Europe with both progressive passes from deep and with his defensive actions. He was clearly an excellent defensive midfielder along with clearly being very good on the ball. In terms of analytics scouting, he popped as a dead cert to look class wherever he goes. Of course you never know, but he was clearly one you just go for if you need a deep midfielder.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Nah not with Guimaraes. He was dominating the French league and standing out in Europe with both progressive passes from deep and with his defensive actions. He was clearly an excellent defensive midfielder along with clearly being very good on the ball. In terms of analytics scouting, he popped as a dead cert to look class wherever he goes. Of course you never know, but he was clearly one you just go for if you need a deep midfielder.
Fekir and Depay were dead certs in a way that he never was.

Unquestionably.

You might be right by stats. Which is fair.

izec

Nah, disagree with Van de Beek, he was crap. I was against it from the start. A system player, and Ole was relying on individual brilliance. It was clear from day one he wasnt as good as it looked and would fail here. Not even hindsight, it was just obvious.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've always watched Brazilian football since the emergence of many talents like Ronaldo (Cruzeiro) Ronaldinho (Gremio) and many others. It was more difficult to keep tabs on the game in Brazil when I was younger but it got easier in the last 5 years.

Bruno Guimaraes I stumbled across by chance when he was playing for Athletico Paranaense. And I carried on watching the player and I was convinced he was worth the gamble for his £15m release clause. No one took notice of my posts at the time because a Brazilian player coming straight from South America to the EPL was probably seen as too big of a step up. But once he got to Lyon I started seeing more and more posters mention his name as a potential new recruit for the midfield.

It's a little disheartening to see a number of players I've wanted at United over the years being snapped up by rival clubs.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Van de Beek is/was a player whose best traits were off the ball leaving the important stuff to the better players. I remember Bruno G being a stat nerds wet dream at Lyon.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Nah, disagree with Van de Beek, he was crap. I was against it from the start. A system player, and Ole was relying on individual brilliance. It was clear from day one he wasnt as good as it looked and would fail here. Not even hindsight, it was just obvious.
I get it. But ALL players need to be system players now. There’s only one system really. Control the ball when you have it. If you don’t, try to win it back fast. If you don’t win it back fast, reset shape quickly.

Van de Beek is a really good footballer.

bosnian_red

Fekir and Depay were dead certs in a way that he never was.

Unquestionably.

You might be right by stats. Which is fair.
Strongly disagree... At least with Memphis. With fekir didn't he fail a medical at Liverpool? Shit happens there. Memphis was a promising young player in the Dutch league, but he was very similar to Gakpo now.

Any standard scouting should have been able to highlight Guimaraes, especially when every analytics nerd was raving about him and every French league watcher was raving about him. Its fine if you just don't need the position, but for United and Arsenal there's no excuse IMO.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
People said the same about Ndombele :(

Oranges038

Looks quality.

Be interesting to see if he can keep it up when the winter sets in up north.

marktan

I've always watched Brazilian football since the emergence of many talents like Ronaldo (Cruzeiro) Ronaldinho (Gremio) and many others. It was more difficult to keep tabs on the game in Brazil when I was younger but it got easier in the last 5 years.

Bruno Guimaraes I stumbled across by chance when he was playing for Athletico Paranaense. And I carried on watching the player and I was convinced he was worth the gamble for his £15m release clause. No one took notice of my posts at the time because a Brazilian player coming straight from South America to the EPL was probably seen as too big of a step up. But once he got to Lyon I started seeing more and more posters mention his name as a potential new recruit for the midfield.

It's a little disheartening to see a number of players I've wanted at United over the years being snapped up by rival clubs.
What platform / channel do you use to watch? I used to watch ligue 1 highlights on youtube but the best they did was goal highlights which was a bit boring.

Trequarista10

Agreed, if not quite to the same extreme. He wasn't overly impressive at Ajax. I don't recall him being linked to any big moves and it was a bit out of the blue that we signed him. In contrast Guimaraes was on every big team's radar, seemed like he had a higher potential and the skills to be an immediate impact at a big side. VDB has become massively overrated because of how bad our midfield is, and fans projecting onto him the type of midfielder they want him to be, rather than the midfielder he actually is.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Been known to be a top talent for years, even before he moved to Lyon, we should have been trying to sign the guy esp in a position we desperately need more quality, but the way our recruitment works we are where we are.