Gaming Building a gaming PC

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Gratz! Are you going to use it for productivity? It is an absolute overkill for gaming (still glad you can afford it).

Well, people are still purchasing at the current prices and stock is scarce. There has been an insignificant price drop in the past 1-2 months. A 2060 i still 650 euro... All parties involved are milking this as much as possible.
I was referring to a (hopefully) future scenario where supply meets demand, in which cases prices will drop. That's just how it works.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Ewwww

Awesome build but curved screens are horrible (IMO)
Yeah, the build is insane. Probably cost $8k all in because of the stupid ram and GPU prices. But it’s going to last a good few years, and I really needed it.

I wasn’t in on curved monitors, but at 38”, it makes a difference. Now when I go back to a flat monitor, it just feels weird. I much prefer the curved on the larger sizes.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Gratz! Are you going to use it for productivity? It is an absolute overkill for gaming (still glad you can afford it).
Yes, mainly productivity, but some gaming. The most overpriced elements of it were the DDR5 ram and the GPU. I’ve got a bunch of AI and crypto stuff going on right now.

Rake

Yes, mainly productivity, but some gaming. The most overpriced elements of it were the DDR5 ram and the GPU. I’ve got a bunch of AI and crypto stuff going on right now.
Neat. It is a beat of a machine. Hope it serves you well for years to come :)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In need of some advice, if anyone would be willing:

I finally took the plunge and upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro and did it via microsoft's own upgrade page utility. It performed the migration admirably; told me what will and won't work on 10 and promptly omitted them from the process... what it didn't tell me - and I should've really thought of before upgrading - is that it will not facilitate third party disc partitions.

So maybe some of you remember there was a time when you had to use Disc Wizard's and big drive enablers for the older OS's to see the entirety of drives over, I think, 2TB. I performed this exercise so long ago that I'd completely forgotten about it, but what has meant is that I've gone from 18 partitions to 13, with 3rd party spliced drives being-now totally absent from this upgrade when I go into "This Computer".

Disc Management is stating the space where these drives were is unallocated (black), but it always did in Win 7, with the 3rd party software handling the drive/partitions.

My obvious question is: can I get these partitions and my data back, and if so, how?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
With the already overpriced 3050 units pretty much all being snapped up by bots and resold for twice the price on eBay, is there even any point getting a new GPU in the foreseeable future? My 670 has somehow lasted me almost ten years but I've been waiting for the market to calm down for ages now and even if supply returns to meet demand all of the fecking cnut faced scalpers will still be around.

Bosws87

I mentioned and some others this might be the normal prices for these things if they can keep selling them at it, but others disagreed.

I don't think they will drop in price dramatically any time in the short-medium term.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
With the already overpriced 3050 units pretty much all being snapped up by bots and resold for twice the price on eBay, is there even any point getting a new GPU in the foreseeable future? My 670 has somehow lasted me almost ten years but I've been waiting for the market to calm down for ages now and even if supply returns to meet demand all of the fecking cnut faced scalpers will still be around.
It's likely that if your current one lasted this long then so will your next one. If you imagine the cost split over ten years then it might be worth considering just taking the hit and getting one? If it's affordable of course.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's likely that if your current one lasted this long then so will your next one. If you imagine the cost split over ten years then it might be worth considering just taking the hit and getting one? If it's affordable of course.
Tbh I think this one has lasted so long because there was about a three year gap where my PC wasn't even turned on (work then baby then work).

I'm Scottish so there's absolutely no way I'd ever pay for something that's even a penny over the proper price. If I bought a GPU in this market I think my ancestors would drag me down to hell with them.

I mentioned and some others this might be the normal prices for these things if they can keep selling them at it, but others disagreed.

I don't think they will drop in price dramatically any time in the short-medium term.
I think you're right. It was the same when Apple and Samsung suddenly came out with £1000+ high end phones and that suddenly became the midrange a couple of years later.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Tbh I think this one has lasted so long because there was about a three year gap where my PC wasn't even turned on (work then baby then work).

I'm Scottish so there's absolutely no way I'd ever pay for something that's even a penny over the proper price. If I bought a GPU in this market I think my ancestors would drag me down to hell with them.
:lol: fair enough, just seems the risk of not buying one is stewing for a long time until you may realise or accept this is now the proper price, when you could be happily enjoying your new toy instead this whole time! Of course it could go the other way and they might get cheaper but it's only money as they say :D

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol: fair enough, just seems the risk of not buying one is stewing for a long time until you may realise or accept this is now the proper price, when you could be happily enjoying your new toy instead this whole time! Of course it could go the other way and they might get cheaper but it's only money as they say :D
It's annoying! I put it off two years ago, and again last year, expecting things to return to normal and, like you said, here we are :lol: .

Aw mate, I'm way past the point where I find any joy with new things. Mainly because I know that within five seconds one of my kids will either claim it's theirs or pour fecking juice over it.

I genuinely can't wait until I get really old so I can feck their weekends up when they get guilt tripped into visiting me in a care home all the time. And I'll be really sweet to my grandkids whilst pretending that I think my youngest son is my dad, so they're always worrying about my state of mind. That'll show them. Bunch of cnuts.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

I think you're right. It was the same when Apple and Samsung suddenly came out with £1000+ high end phones and that suddenly became the midrange a couple of years later.
:lol:

Your best bet would be to ask a friend/family member going on holidays to the US, to bring you one GPU back.

Or just buy a hole new rig directly from a manufacturer's uk site. Something like these:
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/deskto...towers/Lenovo-Legion-T5-26AMR5/p/99LE9500368#

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Figured this might be a good place to ask this. Looking for a nice monitor for home office use (regular office use and AutoCAD) that I'd connect both my MacBook Pro 13 2020 and HP laptop to (both have Thunderbolt/USB C). Big fan of screens that are pleasing to the eye.

Looking for the following:
Ultrawide, curved, up to 32inch. Preferably not super curved.
Very good resolution
Min 100hz would be nice
Thunderbolt 3 connection

Budget was £400-600, however found this one slightly over which doubles as a hub, which appeals a lot as I'd have to buy one otherwise and they're around £200 for what I need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC34J791WTRXXU-Curved-Ultra-Monitor/dp/B08WX16397/ref=sr_1_3?crid=21TJ3604D8Z1Y&keywords=SAMSUNG+J791&qid=1643550748&sprefix=samsung+j791,aps,118&sr=8-3&th=1

Like the look of it too. Small bezel, back looks smart. Would like the possibility to expand to another screen and don't know how possible that is looking at the connections? Would it just be a case using another one of those Thunderbolt connections?

Wondering if anyone has any better suggestions?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Could one of the regular nerds tag me if and when this comes to fruition or at least looking that way. I’ll be forever grateful.

A fellow nerd.

Paxi

Figured this might be a good place to ask this. Looking for a nice monitor for home office use (regular office use and AutoCAD) that I'd connect both my MacBook Pro 13 2020 and HP laptop to (both have Thunderbolt/USB C). Big fan of screens that are pleasing to the eye.

Looking for the following:
Ultrawide, curved, up to 32inch. Preferably not super curved.
Very good resolution
Min 100hz would be nice
Thunderbolt 3 connection

Budget was £400-600, however found this one slightly over which doubles as a hub, which appeals a lot as I'd have to buy one otherwise and they're around £200 for what I need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC34J791WTRXXU-Curved-Ultra-Monitor/dp/B08WX16397/ref=sr_1_3?crid=21TJ3604D8Z1Y&keywords=SAMSUNG+J791&qid=1643550748&sprefix=samsung+j791,aps,118&sr=8-3&th=1

Like the look of it too. Small bezel, back looks smart. Would like the possibility to expand to another screen and don't know how possible that is looking at the connections? Would it just be a case using another one of those Thunderbolt connections?

Wondering if anyone has any better suggestions?
Have you found what you were looking for. Rtings usually have easy to navigate, informative reviews of monitors etc.

If you want to absolutely treat yourself there’s a something Oled Samsung monitor coming out and and a 42 Oled lg tv which I’m totally getting - which you could use. I mean it’s going to totally fecking rock.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Have you found what you were looking for. Rtings usually have easy to navigate, informative reviews of monitors etc.

If you want to absolutely treat yourself there’s a something Oled Samsung monitor coming out and and a 42 Oled lg tv which I’m totally getting - which you could use. I mean it’s going to totally fecking rock.
The Samsung I linked is still winning. The built in Thunderbolt hub is ideal.

Is the 42 LG tv the C2? Because of I'm thinking of getting that eventually (to use as a tv though).

Paxi

The Samsung I linked is still winning. The built in Thunderbolt hub is ideal.

Is the 42 LG tv the C2? Because of I'm thinking of getting that eventually (to use as a tv though).
Fair enough. Still I’d check out that rtings - it’s a very good website and you might find something that have all the connections but also performs better.

Yes it is. It’s 1400 and is coming out in the next few weeks. Yeah it’s probably going to be a game changer for a lot of people. 42 inches is a size where people can really use the panel as monitor I think.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fair enough. Still I’d check out that rtings - it’s a very good website and you might find something that have all the connections but also performs better.

Yes it is. It’s 1400 and is coming out in the next few weeks. Yeah it’s probably going to be a game changer for a lot of people. 42 inches is a size where people can really use the panel as monitor I think.
Will check it out for sure, thanks.
LG would be too big for me as a monitor and overkill really too, but it's the perfect size tv for gaming on with the distance I'm away from it. Shame it's the same price as the 48.

Paxi

Will check it out for sure, thanks.
LG would be too big for me as a monitor and overkill really too, but it's the perfect size tv for gaming on with the distance I'm away from it. Shame it's the same price as the 48.
Yeah but it’s about how man panels they can cut out of one sheet so I think that’s why prices are similar. I could be slightly wrong though. Anyway I’m biting the bullet as it will be perfect for gaming in for the next 4-5 years.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah but it’s about how man panels they can cut out of one sheet so I think that’s why prices are similar. I could be slightly wrong though. Anyway I’m biting the bullet as it will be perfect for gaming in for the next 4-5 years.
Yeah, plus they probably just know that there's a strong demand for that size. I won't be playing games on my monitor so don't need to spend that much. I can justify it more for my console/netflix panel haha.

Paxi

Yeah, plus they probably just know that there's a strong demand for that size. I won't be playing games on my monitor so don't need to spend that much. I can justify it more for my console/netflix panel haha.
Oh yeah the demand would be big I think. I think the 48, when it first came out was the same price as the 55 inch panel so I guess it makes sense for Lg to price accordingly this time round as well. I have the C9 and it’s still and absolutely showstopper when watching HDR content.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Oh yeah the demand would be big I think. I think the 48, when it first came out was the same price as the 55 inch panel so I guess it makes sense for Lg to price accordingly this time round as well. I have the C9 and it’s still and absolutely showstopper when watching HDR content.
I'm going to try and hold out 6 months after release, as it'll surely come down. It'll also be really tempting to cop a cheaper C1 though.

Paxi

I'm going to try and hold out 6 months after release, as it'll surely come down. It'll also be really tempting to cop a cheaper C1 though.
C1’s are already as cheap as they’re going to be. I got my C9 that way. Have about 150 quid off. I mean you could shop around and find a relative bargain but I don’t think I can wait long before getting the 42 inch panel.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is that for real? I really want it to be real. :lol:

Fully Fledged

Okay those in the know before I proceed.
HP Omen 17
i7 1800H
3060 6GB
16 GB ram
1 TH SSD
17” Quad HD screan
£1299 is it worth it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm looking to upgrade bits on my PC, what would people recommend?

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Processor - AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I'd like to take it to 16GB RAM initially. Ideally nice affordable upgrades but would give good gaming performance boosts.

JPRouve

Scout
I hope that you meant 11800h? :lol:

Which version of the 3060 is it, 130w?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm looking to upgrade bits on my PC, what would people recommend?

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Processor - AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I'd like to take it to 16GB RAM initially. Ideally nice affordable upgrades but would give good gaming performance boosts.
More RAM would probably help but you'd still be limited by the CPU and Card.

If you don't already have an SSD, get one.

No real point in even recommending a GFX card right now given the prices, if you could get a 2nd hand one on the cheap then it'd be worth it, but it's really difficult, and you'd need to make sure your PSU wattage can handle it.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah I’m typing on my phone.
I think looking at a review it’s probably 85w

Edit: I’ve posted a link
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/h...intel-core-i7-rtx-3060-1-tb-ssd-10225990.html
If it's an 85w then you are pretty close to a 3050ti, you are essentially paying for the 1tb SSD. I almost bought the Omen 3070 for cheaper(1300€) last month but went with a Legion 5 3060 130w instead.

Check HP's website, they had better deals a couple of weeks ago, otherwise it's a good PC, I don't think that you will regret it at all.

Edit: It is noisy though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
More RAM would probably help but you'd still be limited by the CPU and Card.

If you don't already have an SSD, get one.

No real point in even recommending a GFX card right now given the prices, if you could get a 2nd hand one on the cheap then it'd be worth it, but it's really difficult, and you'd need to make sure your PSU wattage can handle it.
Cheers, I figured I wouldn't be able to upgrade much without spending big money but RAM seems the way to go right now. I'm not fussed if I'm only able to play new games on low/medium quality as with a few tweaks they can still look good.

Fully Fledged

If it's an 85w then you are pretty close to a 3050ti, you are essentially paying for the 1tb SSD. I almost bought the Omen 3070 for cheaper(1300€) last month but went with a Legion 5 3060 130w instead.

Check HP's website, they had better deals a couple of weeks ago, otherwise it's a good PC, I don't think that you will regret it at all.

Edit: It is noisy though.
I got this one instead as it was £330 cheaper

HP OMEN 16-c0500na 16.1" Gaming Laptop
Graphics card
- AMD Radeon RX 6600M - 8 GB GDDR6
RAM
16 GB DDR4 (3200 MHz)
Processor
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800H Processor - Octa-core - 3.0 GHz / 4.3 GHz - 16 MB cache
Storage
512 GB SSD
I've got a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 500GB I used with my old laptop as it only had a 256 GB SSD would it be a good idea to use that for my Steam Games so as not to overfill my main drive?
Thanks for the advice earlier.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I got this one instead as it was £330 cheaper

I've got a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 500GB I used with my old laptop as it only had a 256 GB SSD would it be a good idea to use that for my Steam Games so as not to overfill my main drive?
Thanks for the advice earlier.
For the price it's a pretty good deal, the RX 6660 is around the 3050ti. If you need space check WD recertified drives, I tried them and they are good.

https://www.westerndigital.com/en-gb/c/recertified

Dante

Average bang
Any tips on making my pc a bit better for gaming? Could I buy some memory or a better CPU for this motherboard?

CPU Intel Core I5 3.20GHz
RAM 8.00GB DDR3
Motherboard MSI H97 GAMING 3
GRAPHICS RADEON RX590 8192MB
GPU upgrade would have the biggest impact. Then RAM increase. Distant third would be CPU upgrade. Obviously, it also depends on the game. But I'm talking in general terms.

Given current GPU prices, though, I think buying more RAM would be the most cost effective way to boost your performance. The RX590 is still a serviceable card and you'd have to pay well over the odds to upgrade on it.