g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FA Premier League

Burnley 0:0 Manchester United

Turf Moor

Kick-off
Sat, 30 August 2014 @ 12:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 17 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MadeOfStone

Think we should concede this season. Drop all this rubbish , play di Maria, blind, shaw, de gea, mata and the reserves. James Wilson would have scored three goals today.

_DK

Well that was utter rubbish again. We just don't create proper chances anymore. We had what one decent chance when Di Maria put over that long ball to RVP and that is it. Fletcher again hasn't been good enough, Anderson came on and did more than he has managed in three games.

We simply are not good enough right now, in current form we are going to struggle to mid table, let alone get a top four position. We really need to sort out our midfield and defence. Put something behind our attackers that can actually get the ball moving quickly, instead of waiting until the opposition has everyone back before moving forward.
    Actually 3 chances all created by Di Maria when passed Burnley defenders twice, but our forwards are shit today.

I just wonder if Rooney is worth his salary and captain badge by now.

msvn

Our Strike to slow, and can't create space themselves, so Mata and Di Maria can't pass to them. I think Welbeck should be taken position replace for RVP or Rooney.

Last edited:

Butty19

If we don't sign a decent defensive minded midfielder who is quick, can pass forward and is composed on the ball we won't do anything this season. All the money we have spent and we still haven't solved the most obvious problem, absolute joke.

Tompo

My small pea-like brain just can't process just how dire we are.

The long balls, the slow passing, the lack of technical ability, the lack of urgency... it goes on and on.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    We need to go 4-3-3 with Januzaj and Di Maria as wingers. Rooney or RVP need to be dropped, can't play together...neither of them are pacey so it doesn't work.

r0663664

Worships Man City
    LVG has no idea to win a English football game. His resume shows alot but I don't understand his philosophy. 3 games against team fighting at the bottom of the table at the end of the season with 2 points to show. I think Giggs can do better. Let me give you a few ideas:

1) Drop Mata and use Kawaga
    2) Drop Young and put Di Maria as LWB
    3) Use Welback until RVP is fit
    4) We don't have anyone in CM? Why is Fletcher playing every game
    5) When is Rafael back? Valencia can't cross. I think since we are at it, buy a RWB. Rafael is always injure.

Dinghy

After 3 games?

Christ I know it is not all good but let's see how they perform after his 3 month deadline and when we have our first team players back eh?

352 could and should work with the right players but when you have the ineffective fletcher and young etc in there any formation will fail.
    Everyone can see that it's not working with the current bunch of players so why not try something different until we get those players ready who can play this system. At this rate we will be out of the CL-race before it's even begun...

partickrock

I think I read that LVG persisted with a 4-1-2-1-2 at Munich to fit in all his expensive players (they had just spent a lot of money on Gomez). It didn't work so he changed the system.

I think if the players in a 3-5-2 don't start to improve, he'll change the system and drop one of RVP, Rooney or Mata.

Regardless the only way is up.

Juansar_07

Louis van Gaal.... here is my bank account.. please send me money for my destroyed mouse and laptop display :(
    Don't...at least you won't see these crap players and their bullshit performance anymore mate.

Rafabio

We are still too slow. Granted Burnley "got men behind the ball" but we're too casual in playing it out of defense. Evans had a shocker. Not sure about him now.

GRon

LVG has no idea to win a English football game. His resume shows alot but I don't understand his philosophy. 3 games against team fighting at the bottom of the table at the end of the season with 2 points to show. I think Giggs can do better. Let me give you a few ideas:

5) When is Rafael back? Valencia can't cross. I think since we are at it, buy a RWB. Rafael is always injure.

Kagawa is off BTW.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
    Don't shoot me for this but maybe a new striker would actually shake things up a bit for us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Jones need a top class defender next to him. Blackett is showing is inexperience, Evans is awful. Hope Rojo can get his work permit. If not it will have to be Smalling.

Patchbeard

The new MOTM voting feature is nice.

Just wish we actually had a player worthy of MOTM in one of our games so far. :(

Offside

Kagawa has never done anything, time for him to leave.

Di Maria as LWB is a bad idea, we need to change the formation.

How is RVP going to get match fit when Welbeck is playing instead of him?

Fletcher is playing every game because of injuries in midfield.

You're right about Rafael. He just never, ever plays. The manager never says where he is either.

Esquire

3-5-2 uses the diagonal balls over the top to the forwards (a la RVP's goal at the WC). Young and Valencia cannot do those. If Blind does not improve that aspect then the 352 needs to go. Time for Mata to be dropped to fit ADM and AJ11 on the wing. RVP needs to be dropped too.

broccoli

Supports
    FCPorto
    We can't blame it all on the players when the wingman has no passing options for the full fecking 90 minutes. There's the forward dropping to offer passing outlet but then It's him with no space to pass the ball.

This system is not a system for Manchester United. It worked for a weak Holland team because they sit back and played counter against all teams. Even against fecking Costa Rica!

hbgreg

People do realize our probable starting wingbacks are injured? That our best and most creative CM is injured? RvP isn't fit, there are so many players who aren't playing, or who aren't playing to their ability. It's no time to panic, LvG said this in his last presser ffs. "Why is nobody writing that I have ten players injured." He obviously knows the injuries are hurting the squad, do you think he planned to be subbing on Anderson in his third game? He was surprised at how many players were injured for him, he said something like "Bayern Munich? 0. Barcelona? 0. Manchester United, 10. Why? That is the question."

Everyone just relax, allow everyone to get fit, give everyone some time to get used to and accumulated to the system. Hopefully we're not done in the transfer window. Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria, Rojo, Blind, Rafael, have all not yet played a full ninety minutes for us. There's a lot of time left and when LvG starts getting the players to play like the system dictates we'll make up the points.

He said we'll struggle in the first three months, and that's before he knew 10 players would be injured, including his best players at positions he needs them in.

NJM78

Dismal. Long term van Gaal will have the players to play his philosophy but right now he does not due to unavailabilty or just players not good enough. He needs to win v Qpr otherwise we can kiss top four goodbye. No pace in our play, teams find it easy to defend, he has to swallow pride and play to our strengths until he can fully implement his own ideas. Only comfort is we are playing very average teams. Top teams will run riot.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    We can't blame it all on the players when the wingman has no passing options for the full fecking 90 minutes. There's the forward dropping to offer passing outlet but then It's him with no space to pass the ball.

This system is not a system for Manchester United. It worked for a weak Holland team because they sit back and played counter against all teams. Even against fecking Costa Rica!
    I think if the fullbacks weren't injured we wouldn't be playing that system. He only played it for Holland because Strootman was injured.

Offside

We should never have sold Evra or Vidic. We got rid of 2 leaders and kept shite like Young and Anderson? Now we are reduced to playing Young at LB and youth players at CB just because of a few injuries there.

Micha

So... how many points guarantee safety from relegation?

I thought in the last 30 minutes there was some promising play from Valencia, although he actually created little. Then there is Di Maria's moments in the first half, and that was it. Everyone else was just not playing football today.
    Burnley actually defended pretty well, we had injuries to deal with, but that is not an excuse. Mata, Rooney, van Persie, Di Maria - creating little, scoring zero against a newly promoted side.

Same old.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 69% of 739 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.