Bye bye top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
What a negative thread….relax…..

Robbie Boy

We have dropped so many stupid points this season that I think it's going to be very hard to get top 4. A point today wasn't that bad at all but it's against the likes of Burnley and Leicester, that we have dropped stupid points. The way we are playing doesn't fill me with any confidence, though. We have a very very hard task on our hands and missing out again will be seriously depressing.

Ringo 07

We don't have a style of play because we don't have enough pace and power in our attack to have a style of play. Only in the summer can we get the players we need to have a style of play again. On current form all of our rivals for 3rd and 4th place are playing way way better than we are because they all have the required pace and power in attack and are much nicer to watch than we are right now. I can't see us finishing in the top 4 because we are just not creating enough chances up front because the likes of Falcao, Mata, Herrera, Januzaj etc are al not currently good enough

Sylar

We have a fantastic chance for a top 4 finish.

Thats more to do with the opposition around us rather than ourselves though which is the worrying thing.

The_Midfielder

We don't have a style of play because we don't have enough pace and power in our attack to have a sty ale of play. Only in the summer can we get the players we need to have a style of play again. On current form all of our rivals for 3rd and 4th place are playing way way better than we are because they all have the required pace and power in attack and are much nicer to watch than we are right now. I can't see us finishing in the top 4 because we are just not creating enough chances up front because the likes of Falcao, Mata, Herrera, Januzaj etc are al not currently good enough
We havent lost much at home.. and even away.. Most of the games at home we are winning.. that is the hope i have of securing 4th.. Tough but possible..

Mister Ed

I'd certainly not put money on it. We're lucky to be where we are, and at the moment I see us finishing sixth. Unfortunately I don't feel like we are able to improve, we've played the same way all season.
We are not lucky to be where we are...

People forget that horrible start to the season. We lost to Swansea, Leicester and drawed against Sunderland and Burnley that is 2/12 against teams that I have no doubt in the second round we'll easily get 10 or 12 points against. That start to the season has been the difference for us between being 4th now or actually being second and 3 points ahead of city.

Not to mention the games versus Stoke and Villa where we clearly didnt get what we deserved.

Our attacking play isnt good enough but LVG has managed to make is very difficult to beat. No team scores easy againt us partly because of the brilliance from DDG but also because we dominate possession and have control over most games and our organization works from a defensive point of view. The thing is if we manage to score a goal or two we usually end up winning most games or atleast drawing. That makes us a consistent team in terms of racking up points and will see us in the top 4 no doubt about it. In fact I think we are nailed on to be third and if City keep on dropping points the way they are doing now they beter be carefull we dont end up thrumping them to second place.

It is not pretty and it is not exciting we get the job done atm. In fact the only horrible period we have had has been the sart, we had such an easy start and due to a myriad of reasons we only got like 2/12. If you forget about that false start we have actually raked up enough points over the rest of the season to be competing for the title. It is those 8 points that is having us on 4th place atm. I dont see any reason why we wouldn't be able to do what we did in the first half of the season and improve on it.

buckooo1978

I don't think we're going to get top 4 on current form

The team selection and tactics are mystifying at times and its hard to see us finishing ahead of Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool unless we improve drastically - we have a tough run in so days like today are crucial - instead today we barely created a chance against their makeshift defence until the last 30 mins

We are relying on two of Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal dropping off and it will be tough - all 3 look far more settled and cohesive than us

The op has gotten a bit of grief but people are in denial if they think we can continue like this and still finish top 4

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I suppose the one benefit of when you're competing for a top 4 spot is that you don't have to be on form all season as you generally have to do when you're challenging for the title. If you're challenging for the title, not winning a game equates to a drop in form. Arsenal have proven many times that when you look set to be written off for a top 4 spot that you can still make it with a consistent run towards the end.

The main problem is we're not going to get there with the way Van Gaal currently has us playing.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Top 4? Definitely. I think Chelsea, City and United in that order. 4th could be any between Arsenal, Spurs.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Making this thread in February isn't knee-jerk at all.

Ixion

We can beat Burnley and Sunderland at home and a win at Swansea isn't that unlikely. We could be looking at 5 wins out of 6 with the one being a draw away to West Ham, that would not be a bad run of results. Just typical overreaction on here.

itso 7

The issue with us is that our manager jumps from one blunder to another, if it's not a shit formation then it's a silly line up or both. I can't believe that someone was crazy enough to think that a midfield of Rooney, Di Maria, Januzaj and Blind actually had a fighting chance away at West Ham. These mistakes have already cost us a large number of points. Next game watch him over compensate for this error by going to another extreme in the same way that his 5-3-2 gave way to this one man midfield madness.

Name Changed

weso26
Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs look a lot more organised and a hell of a lot more dangerous than we do at the moment. If I was putting money on it now, I would not back us to come in the top 4. Major improvement is needed. We have been lucky so far with other clubs not playing well. Liverpool in particular have been excellent recently. They will catch us if we don't improve.

Enigma_87

You know who
Making this thread in February isn't knee-jerk at all.
Especially since we're currently 4th with 2 points above our main rival for that place and 3rd is a Soton side that will fade away with a perenial bottlers at 5th.

This thread is ban worthy for at least a week.

anchan1989

Genuine question: how deep is Southampton in the view of the PL fans here.
They keep staying around. Could they really make the top4, top 3 even?

WyoManU

We are still in it, but if I was betting I wouldn't put money on us to make it. I just don't think we have what it takes and the LVG myth just isn't bearing any fruit.

Dunk

Body language expert
Liverpool and West Ham aren't really in the challenge, IMO. It's all about us, Spurs, Arse and Southampton and Southampton and Spurs don't have the experience sorry to say. Top four should be achievable. If we don't get top four, it's bye bye Van Gaal.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
We better sort out our away form/performances soon. Next five away games:

Swansea
Newcastle
Liverpool
Chelsea
Everton

No easy wins there, but somehow we need to gather a good amount of points from these games, plus two difficult home games against Spurs and City.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
We won't get top 4 this season, there are far better organised teams around us, teams with a game plan and style of play. Any half decent organised team will take points off us this season.
We should pack it in for the season then and start again in august?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't think we will get top 4. Our run between March and May is dreadful to look at even though we could possibly gain ground on some teams in direct clashes. Spurs have been in great form, Southampton are holding on, Liverpool are playing much better than us and Arsenal are a better team. It will go down the wire but I don't have particularly high expectations now.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Swansea
Newcastle
Liverpool
Chelsea
Everton

No easy wins there, but somehow we need to gather a good amount of points from these games, plus two difficult home games against Spurs and City.
The last three there are pretty awful despite Everton's form, they'll be right up for that. Id expect us to win the first two but we'll have to get lucky going off our recent away form. We HAVE to start playing better away from home and quickly, it's an absolute necessity.

Sam

The fact that Liverpool have City and Soton next (I believe?) is the only thing giving me any hope.

Loublaze

ATLien

Swansea
Newcastle
Liverpool
Chelsea
Everton

Its looking rough

Woodenlung

Spurs losing is probably the best result. Win tomorrow and we go 4 and 5 point ahead of Spurs and Pool respectively. Liverpool and Southampton play each other soon too so hopefully we can open a gap on either team.

That is, of course, predicated on United not playing like absolute shithouses. Unfortunately there's no guarantee of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.