Bye bye Van Gaal | Really enjoying managerial retirement

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Luke Shaw was a beast in the beginning of Van Gaal's second season. I would argue that his broken leg was the main reason that led to Van Gaal's downfall.
Herrera was a part of the midfield that had a brilliant 6 game run including the win vs Liverpool. He assisted Martial to bring us to the FA cup final too.
One of the most commonly forgotten things about LVGs second season is that Luke Shaw was basically 20/21 Luke Shaw in that season until the leg break and was clearly going to continue in that vein.

In Rainbows

He's completely wrong though. I didn't notice anything dodgy in the calls. The only thing these type point to is occurrence, which by itself isn't evidence for anything.

marktan

Tbf Argentina did get a lot of dubious penalty calls in that world cup.

It is what it is, I think England would've beaten Argentina in the final if Southgate had balls and actually played an attacking team for once against France.. but it is what it is. Argentina won, the end.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He's completely wrong though. I didn't notice anything dodgy in the calls. The only thing these type point to is occurrence, which by itself isn't evidence for anything.

This wasn't a yellow for instance. Which would've resulted in a red card(not sure if his actual yellow was before or after this moment).

Another Argentina player booted the ball into the Dutch dugout while already having a yellow and not getting a second one.

tomaldinho1

There were some very dubious calls, Messi would have been sent off if he was any other normal player and I still have no idea how Paredes wasn't sent off, he got a yellow for the tackle and then leathered the ball straight into the bench to start a fight.

Stadjer

While i dont think the World Cup was set up for Messi to win it, there were quite a few dodgy calls during the game.

Yeah, that's why the refs. deliberately took the game to the ever-guaranteed penalty shoot-outs. Makes perfect sense!
To be fair, Martinez on goal during penalties against us, with our penalty taking record, it is almost guaranteed. :lol:

Last edited:

izec

There were some very dubious calls, Messi would have been sent off if he was any other normal player and I still have no idea how Paredes wasn't sent off, he got a yellow for the tackle and then leathered the ball straight into the bench to start a fight.
you rarely get two yellows if the first is not shown first. If he shot the ball to the bench 5 minutes later on a yellow, he would see red.

Sylar

While i dont think the World Cup was set up for Messi to win it, there were quite a few dodgy calls during the game.

To be fair, Romero on goal during penalties against us, with our penalty taking record, it is almost guaranteed. :lol:
Romero returned :eek:

tomaldinho1

you rarely get two yellows if the first is not shown first. If he shot the ball to the bench 5 minutes later on a yellow, he would see red.
It's more it's very rare to have two separate actions as it's such a stupid thing to do, Paredes is textbook two yellows (foul + off the ball incident) that you can't really argue against because it is 2 clearly separate incidents that are yellow card offences. Martinelli got 2 yellows in the same play last season from memory in the PL.

elPibeDeOro

Supports
Aston Villa & Argentina NT
This wasn't a yellow for instance. Which would've resulted in a red card(not sure if his actual yellow was before or after this moment).
Messi actual yellow was after this.

Another Argentina player booted the ball into the Dutch dugout while already having a yellow and not getting a second one.
Paredes wasn't already on a yellow. But you can of course make a case for him getting two yellows in the sequence; on for the foul and one for booting the ball. Which IMO is the only controversial decision in Argentina's favour in the whole game. Penalty is crystal clear; awful by Dumfries and Acuña goes down easily, which 99% of footballers does in those situations.
Van Gaal talked shit about Messi before the game and is obviously still bitter after getting knocked out twice by Argentina on pens. But I guess those also were premeditated and his players were in on the act :lol:

Sylar

Oops... Martinez obviously. Guess the Manchester United forum combined with a goalkeeper from Argentina made me think of Romero instead. :lol:
Haha I gotch. But yeah, Holland and penalties eh?

I do think lvg is a madman saying that.

el3mel

Don't get how anyone can like the guy. He's a sore loser and so full of himself despite being underwhelming for the majority of his career. Ever since he left Barca in 1999/2000, he has been mostly terrible bar one year at Bayern and two years or so in Eredivisie. Yet he acts like he's one of the best coaches ever and spouts a lot of nonsense against actual winners like this.

He was so sore at being sacked from United that he kept taking hits at the club at any chance despite failing miserably here. None of the other managers post SAF talked about United as badly as him and just kept it in their chest because that's what any decent or even semi decent, professional person will do.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Don't get how anyone can like the guy. He's a sore loser and so full of himself despite being underwhelming for the majority of his career. Ever since he left Barca in 1999/2000, he has been mostly terrible bar one year at Bayern and two years or so in Eredivisie. Yet he acts like he's one of the best coaches ever and spouts a lot of nonsense against actual winners like this.

He was so sore at being sacked from United that he kept taking hits at the club at any chance despite failing miserably here. None of the other managers post SAF talked about United as badly as him and just kept it in their chest because that's what any decent or even semi decent, professional person will do.
He won the league with AZ before that, btw.

tomaldinho1

Can't revision history, he's a great manager. Sure his latter years were a bit more scattered and his personality became an issue but his achievements dwarf most managers in terms of what he actually buitl/achieved. The Bayern stint is always referenced by people I meet who support them as genuinely revolutionary for them, it's just a shame his time here ended so sourly and I still find it odd some fans don't have some empathy for him, finding out from his wife he was sacked just after winning a trophy because Woodward was such a coward.

el3mel

He won the league with AZ before that, btw.
That's the two years at Eredivisie I mentioned. I'm not talking about his early Ajax days, I'm talking about post Barcelona first stint.

Can't revision history, he's a great manager. Sure his latter years were a bit more scattered and his personality became an issue but his achievements dwarf most managers in terms of what he actually buitl/achieved. The Bayern stint is always referenced by people I meet who support them as genuinely revolutionary for them, it's just a shame his time here ended so sourly and I still find it odd some fans don't have some empathy for him, finding out from his wife he was sacked just after winning a trophy because Woodward was such a coward.
The Bayern stint is overrated. The first year of course was great, but second year they completely collapsed and were about to miss on CL qualification to the point they sacked him before the season ended.

Away from that, he started his career at the top with Ajax followed by Barca's first stint, then he missed on World Cup qualification with Netherlands, and since then his career has been mostly very mediocre. He had to return to Eredivisie at one point to re-discover himself and after that had one good year at Bayern. That's it, these are about 3 or so good years since leaving Barcelona in 2000 up till him leaving United in 2016.

This isn't revising his history. This is actually his career. He started as an elite then went downhill very, very quickly. The Ajax period was his peak and that was at the start of his career. Since then he has been mostly a mediocre manager but extremely overrated by himself more than any fan. He won 20 trophies in his career, 15 of them came during the 1991-1999 period at Ajax and Barcelona. After that he only managed to win 5 trophies since his club retirement in 2016. That indicates a huge and fast decline that came way too early too.

I have zero empathy for someone who actually forced me at one point to stop watching United out of boredom and just follow results for 2-3 months at the end of his tenure. He ruined the club more than it was actually ruined anyway.

Last edited:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

I love that bastard.
What's even his point here?

One of Argentina's goals was a result of an unbelievable pass from Messi. Beautiful football.

Their equaliser was from a set piece over the allotted time in added time and the amount added on was very favourable for them in the first place.

It was all rigged for Argentina which is why the referee added 10 minutes on at the end of a game they were winning 2-1. Makes perfect sense.

Grande

That's the two years at Eredivisie I mentioned. I'm not talking about his early Ajax days, I'm talking about post Barcelona first stint.

The Bayern stint is overrated. The first year of course was great, but second year they completely collapsed and were about to miss on CL qualification to the point they sacked him before the season ended.

Away from that, he started his career at the top with Ajax followed by Barca's first stint, then he missed on World Cup qualification with Netherlands, and since then his career has been mostly very mediocre. He had to return to Eredivisie at one point to re-discover himself and after that had one good year at Bayern. That's it, these are about 3 or so good years since leaving Barcelona in 2000 up till him leaving United in 2016.

This isn't revising his history. This is actually his career. He started as an elite then went downhill very, very quickly. The Ajax period was his peak and that was at the start of his career. Since then he has been mostly a mediocre manager but extremely overrated by himself more than any fan. He won 20 trophies in his career, 15 of them came during the 1991-1999 period at Ajax and Barcelona. After that he only managed to win 5 trophies since his club retirement in 2016. That indicates a huge and fast decline that came way too early too.

I have zero empathy for someone who actually forced me at one point to stop watching United out of boredom and just follow results for 2-3 months at the end of his tenure. He ruined the club more than it was actually ruined anyway.
I don’t care if you like or empathize with Van Gaal, that’s personal stuff.

When you write about a ‘underwhelming majority’ of his carreer, of course you are talking about the Ajax years and Barca years implicitly, both since they make up the so called minority that makes the majority a majority, and since your label of underwhelming is based on comparing him to himself. If he’d done his carreer backwards with exactly the same results, you’d probably be forced to accept his carreer as majorly overwhelming. That’s really more a drama assesment than a footballing assesment, though.

Truth is, you won’t find many managers with a better and longer list of coaching achievements.

Clubs exceptional:

- Winning CL with Ajax when it was no longer feasible really. Reaching CL final next year. Won UEFA Cup. Three league titles and two cups. UEFA Super Cup and World club cup.
- Breaking up the big three in The Netherlands, winning with AZ Alkmaar. Almost impossible. Add to that a secand and a third place and a cup final. Rinus Michels best coach award twice.

Clubs - top class:
- Winning the Double with Bayern, taking them to the CL final. Voted German coach of the Year.
- Barcelona first stint: Two leagues, one cup, one UEFA Super cup in three seasons.

Clubs - not so good:
- Man Utd: FA Cup, 3rd, 5th (par for the course last ten years).

Clubs - bad:
- Barca, second spell. Sacked after six months. Mid table. Ten out of ten wins in CL though.

National Teams:

Excellent:
The Netherlands, second stint: World cup bronze medal in impressive fashion. Penalty shoot out away from final. Dutch Sports Coach of the year.

Very good:
The Netherlands, third stint: A penalty shoot-out against the winners from a SF. 70% win rate, unbeaten.

Bad:
The Netherlands, first stint. Behind Ireland and Portugal in qualification and went out.

Maybe most importantly: His thoughts about football had been the most important and influential among coaches between Johann Cruyff and Pep Guardiola.

The only real down Van Gaal has had, is the period from 2001-2004, where his arrogance tipped over the edge leading to conflicts.

Labelling his carreer since 2005 as ‘terrible’, and ‘mediocre’ is not only revisionism, it’s pretty ludicrous.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
What's even his point here?

One of Argentina's goals was a result of an unbelievable pass from Messi. Beautiful football.

Their equaliser was from a set piece over the allotted time in added time and the amount added on was very favourable for them in the first place.

It was all rigged for Argentina which is why the referee added 10 minutes on at the end of a game they were winning 2-1. Makes perfect sense.
A bit like Bruno was saying it was all rigged for Argentina when he complained about the Argentina ref after the Morocco game who had Morocco down to 10 men i think before HT.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah no.

Anyway Ronaldo fanboys will love his comments.
I dislike Ronaldo but i am 100% with LVG about this. And yeah, LVG is our best post Fergie manager.
If he had full control over transfers (like Ole and Erik had), it would have been different story. Guy is top top manager.

Real Name

I dislike Ronaldo but i am 100% with LVG about this. And yeah, LVG is our best post Fergie manager.
If he had full control over transfers (like Ole and Erik had), it would have been different story. Guy is top top manager.
That kind of stuff you read on twitter or facebook in comment section (cesspool) or hear from a football experts at a local bar. Oh oh they made everything so Messi can win it. Bollocks.

No, he isnt our best post Fergie.
Why do you think he didnt have a control over transfers? Cause he or someone else said so?
He was a top manager, but he was all in all shit for us, loaded us with deadwood and we played most boring football ever.