CA 2019 - Final - Brazil vs Peru

Schedule

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Couldn't see a thread on this.

Anybody looking for to it this summer? 14th June to 7th July and live on Premier Sports in the UK.

Argentina 40 man preliminary squad is so weak bar a few top players. The overall squad quality has been overrated for years now. Can't see them winning it in fact could struggle in the group stages. Brazil clear faves.

Full schedule (UK time)

Group stage
Saturday, June 15
Brazil vs Bolivia (1:30am)
Venezuela vs Peru (8pm)
Argentina vs Colombia (11pm)

Sunday, June 16
Paraguay vs Qatar (8pm)
Uruguay vs Ecuador (11pm)

Tuesday, June 18
Japan vs Chile (midnight)
Bolivia vs Peru (10:30pm)

Wednesday, June 19
Brazil vs Venezuela (1:30am)
Colombia vs Qatar (10:30pm)

Thursday, June 20
Argentina vs Paraguay (1:30am)

Friday, June 21
Uruguay vs Japan (midnight)

Saturday, June 22
Ecuador vs Chile (midnight)
Peru vs Brazil (8pm)
Bolivia vs Venezuela (8pm)

Sunday, June 23
Qatar vs Argentina (8pm)
Colombia vs Paraguay (8pm)

Tuesday, 25 June
Chile vs Uruguay (midnight)
Ecuador vs Japan (midnight)

Quarter-finals
Friday, June 28
QF1: Brazil vs Paraguay (1:30am)
QF2: Venezuela vs Argentina (8pm)

Saturday, June 29
QF3: Colombia vs Chile (midnight)
QF4: Uruguay vs Peru (8pm)

Semi-finals
Wednesday, July 3
SF1: Brazil vs Argentina (1:30am)

Thursday, July 4
SF2: Chile vs Peru (1:30am)

Third-place play-off
Saturday, July 6
Argentina vs Chile (8pm)

Final
Sunday, July 7
Brazil vs Peru (8pm)

Last edited:

stubie

Really looking forward to this I reckon Brazil will win it

Always remember the beast of a squad they had at the 1999 Copa America

izec

Will tune in if some games are not too late. Argentina wont win it, they are still a mess. Scaloni is out of his depth, some players have no business being there. There are more talented guys, but he picks his faves that will never be good enough

Last edited:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Excited for this. I'll be in Rio visiting family so will be attending a couple matches including the final. Hopefully Brasil go all the way.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Hard to see past Brazil really.

Qatar could cause an upset, they're an incredibly well drilled side now and are excellent on the counter.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Jesus Christ that defence is poor.

Midfield is OK and attack is great as always, but the defence is just so poor.

Armani
Saravia - Foyth - Otamendi - Tagliafico
Lo Celso - Paredes - Palacios
Messi - Aguero - Di Maria​

Is probably the starting eleven (based on recent friendlies).

BiggusCrickus

How is Icardi not in the squad. They will never win anything untill the start bringing thru there young players . Messi and Aguero are done at International Level

NYAS

Felipe Anderson and Lucas Moura with the season of their lives. Vinicius with a fantastic break-out season.

Tite: “Let me throw in this guy called Everton instead”

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why on earth are they in it? :lol:
10 national teams in CONMEBOL but three groups of four, so two teams are always invited. No idea why they went with Qatar and Japan though. Usually the invitees are North American sides, but I'd imagine the Gold Cup taking place this summer made that difficult.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Couldn't see a thread on this.

Anybody looking for to it this summer? 14th June to 7th July and live on Premier Sports in the UK.

Argentina 40 man preliminary squad is so weak bar a few top players. The overall squad quality has been overrated for years now. Can't see them winning it in fact could struggle in the group stages. Brazil clear faves.
I fecking love Copa America, mate. It's my favourite tournament. The perfect marriage of Thunderdome and football.

Fenomeno9

Felipe Anderson and Lucas Moura with the season of their lives. Vinicius with a fantastic break-out season.

Everton has no business on the team but the wide forward/winger position is the Brazil most stack position someone will be left out.

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
Hard to see past Brazil really.

Qatar could cause an upset, they're an incredibly well drilled side now and are excellent on the counter.
Great post about Qater. They are extremely well drilled almost machine like and they are very young. Incredibly swift on the counter attack and deadly with corners. Their inexperience will probably kill them but this reminds me of Ajax in this year's CL. Will not be shocked if Qater goes on a deep run.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Fabinho’s omission is staggering as well.

Ekeke

Think it was a mistake for Argentina to leave out Lisandro Martinez and Banega from the squad. Claudio Bravo (LB) should have had a chance by now as well, although Tagliefico is pretty good too so they're still sorted in his position. Glad to see De Paul in there at least, very versatile attacking player

NYAS

Everton has no business on the team but the wide forward/winger position is the Brazil most stack position someone will be left out.
Of course I don’t expect them to take 10 wingers but my point is that all of those I mentioned + Douglas Costa are better and more deserving of a place than Everton. This isn’t an experimental friendly tournament, or a money-spinning tour, and nor do any of the above-mentioned wingers have any known history of being bad influences on squad harmony so it’s just plain weird. You basically have 3 newcomers (Everton, Neres, Richarlison) + Neymar. The latter two deserve to be in but he should have balanced it with a 4th winger with some experience of being in the squad and playing these sorts of tournaments. I thought most people agreed by now that one of Brazil’s main problems in recent years is that they rely too much on Neymar. These wing selections just confirm that. They’ve learnt nothing from their mistakes.

Fabinho’s omission is staggering as well.
And Danilo left out for Fagner. Granted Fagner is a little more established but I didn’t mention Fabinho because his competition was Casemiro and Fernandinho. I think staggering is a strong word. I guess you could argue he could have been in for Paqueta but Paqueta is the secondary attacking midfield option behind Coutinho so I could understand if Tite thought that between Casemiro, Fernandinho and Allan there was enough defensive solidity in there. Who would you have put him in for?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
And Danilo left out for Fagner. Granted Fagner is a little more established but I didn’t mention Fabinho because his competition was Casemiro and Fernandinho. I think staggering is a strong word. I guess you could argue he could have been in for Paqueta but Paqueta is the secondary attacking midfield option behind Coutinho so I could understand if Tite thought that between Casemiro, Fernandinho and Allan there was enough defensive solidity in there. Who would you have put him in for?
Allan or Paqueta were my initial thoughts. I have to admit I've seen little of either one of them so fair enough if they had better seasons than Fabinho's, but second half of the season was quite spectacular for one of the strongest teams in the world. He could be covering RB as well but I guess they are stacked there as ewll with Alves and Militão.

Alisson
Alves Silva Miranda Sandro
CDM Arthur
Coutinho
Neres Jesus Neymar
Is what I'd like to see them play (actually Firmino instead of Jesus but don't think that'll happen anyway). Or are they really going to start with Casemiro and Fernandinho as two defensive midfielders? I have to concede that you don't really need Fernandinho, Casemiro and Fabinho if you're only playing with one of them anyway, yeah.

Fenomeno9

I would of taken Fabinho over Fernandinho. Fernandinho has not been very good for the national team overall. In addition, Fernandinho isn’t well like after the World Cup. I think Tite took simply took him for experience but he had enough of that anyway. Fabinho can play two positions and the Right Back position is our weakest position.

NYAS

Allan or Paqueta were my initial thoughts. I have to admit I've seen little of either one of them so fair enough if they had better seasons than Fabinho's, but second half of the season was quite spectacular for one of the strongest teams in the world. He could be covering RB as well but I guess they are stacked there as ewll with Alves and Militão.

Alisson
Alves Silva Miranda Sandro
CDM Arthur
Coutinho
Neres Jesus Neymar
Is what I'd like to see them play (actually Firmino instead of Jesus but don't think that'll happen anyway). Or are they really going to start with Casemiro and Fernandinho as two defensive midfielders? I have to concede that you don't really need Fernandinho, Casemiro and Fabinho if you're only playing with one of them anyway, yeah.
Going back to the qualifiers they used to put Coutinho in the front 3 not in the midfield (along with Jesus and Neymar) so if he’s planning to do the same thing I guess there’s room for another DM.

For what it’s worth I would have taken Fabinho, there’s definitely a place for him in there as he can cover two positions.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Going for Uruguay
Doubt it, may even crash out in the group stage.

Worst thing that can happen to us is the "easiest" game coming first, we always invariably lose in that scenario.

Stylewise Japan is the kind of team we struggle the most against.

And then we will get to Chile needing a win with players completely knackered. We are usually game raisers and win those through sheer force of will, but Chile are a bit like that too. Would rather have got Chile first and Ecuador last.

Conversely, Brazil have a piss easy group and the winners of Group B and C have to knock each other out for a chance of meeting Brazil in the final.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Last chance for NT redemption for Messi and Agüero (and Di Maria). If Messi plays like his 2019 Barça version and Agüero scores his chances, I fancy them. Glad to see that fraud Higuaín is out of the picture.

Brazil looks very strong on paper but Neymar is unreliable and Coutinho comes from a mediocre club season.

Uruguay and Chile seem past-it.

Pocho

Argentina has zero chances, Brazil confortably will make it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Was really surprised likes of Moura and particularly Vinicius weren't called.

Tite is really under pressure to win and think that's reflected in his squad. Likes of Fernandinho, Thiago Silva, Felipe Luis, Miranda and Dani Silva all called up, all way over 30 now and none will play in 2022 WC.

Yeah Uruguay are probably best to provide a challenge but not sure if Luis Suarez will make it and they haven't named their squad yet so guess they're waiting to see if he can recover.

Colombia and Paraguay are always tricky to beat in KO rounds. Quieroz now managers Colombia.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Last chance for NT redemption for Messi and Agüero (and Di Maria). If Messi plays like his 2019 Barça version and Agüero scores his chances, I fancy them. Glad to see that fraud Higuaín is out of the picture.

Brazil looks very strong on paper but Neymar is unreliable and Coutinho comes from a mediocre club season.

Uruguay and Chile seem past-it.
It's not quite Messi last chance, there's another Copa next summer and Argentina are co hosting with Colombia so that will likely be his last serious chance to win major competition (I imagine he'll play in 2022 WC but dread to think what state the Argie squad will be by then).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I would of taken Fabinho over Fernandinho. Fernandinho has not been very good for the national team overall. In addition, Fernandinho isn’t well like after the World Cup. I think Tite took simply took him for experience but he had enough of that anyway. Fabinho can play two positions and the Right Back position is our weakest position.
Fernandinho was very poor against Belgium in the WC, wasn't he?

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
I get flabbergasted to realize this thread has too few posts at this stage even taking into account it isn't a South-American forum. After all, Copa América is the second strongest continental tournament, and it may be even more entertaining than a EURO Cup. Comparing Copa América Centenário 2016 with EURO Cup 2016, the former provided better matches overall.

Everton has been playing well and it's not illogical to call him up. Fernandinho's return displeases me much more despite his success and performance for his club. Fabinho should be there instead.

Tite is really under pressure to win and think that's reflected in his squad. Likes of Fernandinho, Thiago Silva, Felipe Luis, Miranda and Dani Silva all called up, all way over 30 now and none will play in 2022 WC.
The only ones I'd allow to return would be Thiago Silva and Daniel Alves... and I'm well-aware the latter doesn't have enough stamina anymore to act as a proper right-back. He still retains great skills, though, and his PSG partnership might be useful anyway. But, of course, I agree we should take advantage of this competition in order to help grease the wheels of acquiring international experience for some younger players.

Actually that's the first real chance for Messi to lead his NT squad to the victory, since it's been the first time for a long time that (finally) Higuain doesn't take part in the squad.

RochaRoja

How is Icardi not in the squad. They will never win anything untill the start bringing thru there young players . Messi and Aguero are done at International Level
Icardi is 26 and a total dickhead.

Messi and Agüero have both had far better seasons than Icardi at a higher level so your last sentence makes no sense.

SharpshooterTom

Actually that's the first real chance for Messi to lead his NT squad to the victory, since it's been the first time for a long time that (finally) Higuain doesn't take part in the squad.
Messi and Aguero both started and they still couldn't beat Iceland. Higuian or no Higuian Argentina have still struggled.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Icardi is 26 and a total dickhead.

Messi and Agüero have both had far better seasons than Icardi at a higher level so your last sentence makes no sense.
Right? Ridiculous. Agüero the key CF of Pep's City, and Messi 2019 in Ballon d'Or mode. It's their last clear chance of NT glory.

Fenomeno9

Manchester City Aguero and Argentina Aguero are two different players.