CA 2019 - Final - Brazil vs Peru

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Peru have played stupid football since the red card, Brazil deserve the trophy. They're nothing special but they're better than everyone else

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Game over. Congrats Brazil. Champions of South America. 12 years wait is over, that's a hell of a long time. Has gotta be the most nailed on win since the draw was made.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Everton was still running towards to try to get the ball and Peru defender just charges to him to block him. It's a penalty.
Yeah, the replays showed that Zambrano wasn't really going towards the ball and more so looking to barge off Everton.

Anyways, that's game over for Peru. They tried a more pragmatic approach this tournament, which took them to the final. The Farfan injury definitely set them back as they weren't able to be as potent as they were with him in the 11. Carrillo was terrible, and Guerrero was way too isolated to really be effective. Ruidiaz should have started instead of Carrillo or come on earlier.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Quality of South American sides has fallen off a cliff recently.

Brazil are clearly the best side but even they aren't what they once were. Argentina nowhere near and even the likes of Chile/Uruguay/Colombia seem to have dropped off.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Stupid foul by the Peru defender on Everton. All he has to do to make it good is step in front of him and screen him off the ball until his keeper gets it. Instead he goes for the shoulder to shoulder, which you can't do in that situation. Everton has to have the ball at his feet in order for that to be allowed. And what a horrible call to send Jesus off. And worst of all, 5 minutes later a Peru player makes the same challenge for a header on Silva and doesn't get booked? Very inconsistent from the ref. Mind you, for those complaining about Peru's penalty, that's how handball is called now and according to the new rules, it was a penalty. Put it this way...imagine that was Silva sliding across the goal line to block a shot in the exact same fashion and he stops a goal and the ref doesn't call it. People would lose it...

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Zambrano was stupid. The goalkeeper would have the ball safe and he gave the ref the opportunity to give the pen.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
But the weren't looking at each other. He was looking for a reason to give the penalty.
Nah....the defender knew exactly what he was doing. Stupid play. He was arguiing for "shoulder to shoulder". True enough, but Everton has to have the ball in order for him to be allowed to shoulder him. You can't just go around body checking players who don't have the ball. My only question is, why was it a penalty (now that I think about it). It was definitely a foul, but most would call that obstruction (or impeding according to the laws of the game) and impeding is "indirect" no matter where the foul occurs...

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Nah....the defender knew exactly what he was doing. Stupid play. He was arguiing for "shoulder to shoulder". True enough, but Everton has to have the ball in order for him to be allowed to shoulder him. You can't just go around body checking players who don't have the ball. My only question is, why was it a penalty (now that I think about it). It was definitely a foul, but most would call that obstruction (or impeding according to the laws of the game) and impeding is "indirect" no matter where the foul occurs...
I'll give you that. But it was no way a penalty.

If it happened in the other box. Play on.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'll give you that. But it was no way a penalty.

If it happened in the other box. Play on.
It's the kind of play where if someone did that to me, I would be pissed if the ref didn't call it. I've seen it let go, but it was really stupid. For me, penalty was the right call. No attempt to play the ball and Everton doesn't have the ball for him to give a shoulder barge. You can't just go around shoulder barging players who don't have the ball. He could have stepped in front of Everton and screened him from the ball, but that's it. Either way it was really dumb because the keeper was getting there anyways, and his stupidity gave the ref a chance to make a call which he was never going to go back on even when he saw VAR...

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Brazil is back. The Uruguay-Chile hegemony is over.

Funny that Neymar could have been a Copa America winner, but isn't.

I consider Brazil and current champions France as main favorites for the WC 2022.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Brazil is back. The Uruguay-Chile hegemony is over.

Funny that Neymar could have been a Copa America winner, but isn't.

I consider Brazil and current champions France as main favorites for the WC 2022.
Brazil has always been one of the strongest national team since Tite took over. It’s a mystery how they failed to win the 2018 World Cup. I always believe that if they didn’t concede first against Belgium, they would have gone on to win. They were the only team who could have beaten France in the World Cup. 3 years is a very long time in football. A lot of things can change and let’s not forget the World Cup winner “curse”.

I hope Brazil win the 2022 World Cup if Germany don’t. A South American team is long overdue and I always sympathize with them after the 7-1.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arthur had a good game, nice win back and run for the second goal.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
The backbone of Alisson, Marquinhos-Silva, Casemiro-Arthur + Ney/G.Jesus is more than enough to reach a WC final.

2022 favorites for real.
Thiago Silva will be 38 come the 2022 World Cup so I am not sure if he would still able to last till then but other than their aging center-backs apart from Marquinhos, this Brazil team looks very promising.

izec

Quality of South American sides has fallen off a cliff recently.

Brazil are clearly the best side but even they aren't what they once were. Argentina nowhere near and even the likes of Chile/Uruguay/Colombia seem to have dropped off.
I agree on South American football.

Brazil are a good 'European' side, besides Neymar, they almost completely lack flair. Their strong points today are their GKs, defenders and defensive midfielders. Their attackers arent bad, but nothing compared to the previous sides in the past. They are just an efficient team nowadays and will always have some terrific players, but i dont think they are better than the top European sides.

They will have problems breaking down good European defenses and once they concede, they will be done, like against Belgium.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Woah, he's 35 already???
34 officially but yeah he turns 35 in September. Feels like he is still in his mid 20s. I guess that’s the biggest benefit of playing in the French league. You don’t over exert yourself and you look mentally and physically younger. :lol: But in all seriousness Silva strikes me as a model professional, he stays out of trouble and doesn’t party so he probably can go on for a couple more years.

I’ve always said that this Brazil team should have won the World Cup last year. Once Silva retires, they will miss his leadership. Dani Alves, Marcelo, Casemiro, Neymar all these are serial winners of La Liga and CL.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I agree on South American football.

Brazil are a good 'European' side, besides Neymar, they almost completely lack flair. Their strong points today are their GKs, defenders and defensive midfielders. Their attackers arent bad, but nothing compared to the previous sides in the past. They are just an efficient team nowadays and will always have some terrific players, but i dont think they are better than the top European sides.

They will have problems breaking down good European defenses and once they concede, they will be done, like against Belgium.
Name me a European team that is better than them on paper. Their starting 11 is as strong as the top European team.

izec

Name me a European team that is better than them on paper. Their starting 11 is as strong as the top European team.
Thats the issue. They have a strong team on paper. Watch them and tell me they are great. They arent. They have some outstanding players as usual, but a great side they arent. Their strong points have gone to organisation and defensive structure, but as i said, i would back any top European side to knock them out, because they are better teams and showed more at the recent World Cups than Brazil. When i watch Brazil under Tite, they just dont strike fear into me going forward, They are hard to beat due to their defensive individual and collective quality. Winning the Copa America is not really the standard these days. Dont know how their team will look like in 2022, but if next year was a WC, i woudlnt bet on them going past the semis.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
34 officially but yeah he turns 35 in September. Feels like he is still in his mid 20s. I guess that’s the biggest benefit of playing in the French league. You don’t over exert yourself and you look mentally and physically younger. :lol: But in all seriousness Silva strikes me as a model professional, he stays out of trouble and doesn’t party so he probably can go on for a couple more years.

I’ve always said that this Brazil team should have won the World Cup last year. Once Silva retires, they will miss his leadership. Dani Alves, Marcelo, Casemiro, Neymar all these are serial winners of La Liga and CL.
Eh, no. France 2018 was nearly as good as 98-00. Yes, that good.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Thats the issue. They have a strong team on paper. Watch them and tell me they are great.
Which European teams are actually great? Other than France? They went out to Belgium thanks to an own goal, by Casemiro's replacement, in a game they dominated and still only really lost due to bad luck, poor finishing, and a wondergoal by De Bruyne. Oh and Neymar was half-fit

Fun fact, Tite's brazil have yet to lose a game when Casemiro played

izec

Which European teams are actually great? Other than France? They went out to Belgium thanks to an own goal, by Casemiro's replacement, in a game they dominated and still only really lost due to bad luck, poor finishing, and a wondergoal by De Bruyne. Oh and Neymar was half-fit

Wait til the WC 2022 then :D if Tite is still managing them.

At the moment, not many. But France and Germany will knock them out.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wait til the WC 2022 then :D if Tite is still managing them.

At the moment, not many. But France and Germany will knock them out.
Their 1982 side lost to us. Nobody in Italy, including the great manager and the players on that team, believed we were the better team. Them not winning in Qatar proves nothing unless they get properly embarassed

And germany? They're in the process of rebuilding. Let's see how they fare at the euros next year before crowning them as the best NT next to France...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thiago Silva will be 38 come the 2022 World Cup so I am not sure if he would still able to last till then but other than their aging center-backs apart from Marquinhos, this Brazil team looks very promising.
Full backs aren't the youngest either, surely Dani Alves won't make 2022 although he just keeps going and going....Felipe Luis played most of these games and he's 34 in August. Did see former Cafe favourite Alex Sandro was in for the final although his stock seems to have gone down last 18 months so don't know how good his level is currently.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Isn't that true for loads of different players? They've only lost one game since Tite came in.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They were unlucky they were in the loaded half of the draw last year. In England/Croatia half I'm fairly sure they'd have reached the final.

Belgium didn't really outplay them at all. Just two quickfire goals on the break in first half and all Brazil second half when Courtois made some good saves (they arguably should've also had a penalty but didn't go to VAR). Casemiro suspension was huge as Fernandinho had a really poor game v Belgium.

Difficult to say if they'd have beaten France as they were very strong defensively and have been a bogey team for Brazil in last 20 years.

SambaBoy

Militao will likely replace Thiago Silva in the NT for the next WC? Providing he does well at Real. Their attack could be improved by Vinicius Jr and Rodrygo if they carry on their development. Midfield is young enough to carry on till 2022.

NYAS

They have a serious problem at right-back for 2022 (Danilo the only one worth mentioning) but the rest of their squad is fine.