g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

CA 2019 - Final - Brazil vs Peru

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
almost as big a non event as the Numpties (I mean Nations) League or whatever it's called this month

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Willian replaces the injured Neymar. Another disappointing call-up by Tite. He really loves his (ex-)Corinthians players.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So who are the favorites? There really are no standout teams. I think Argentina and Brazil both have the strongest chance. The overall quality seems poor in the competition.
Brazil's group and route to the final is a joke, that's why.

antohan

Official CA2019 fan song released (well, not that there's any body that makes it "official", it just stuck)

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Copa America marketing is pretty much terrible. Even brazilians I work with are not that interested on it.

antohan

Copa America marketing is pretty much terrible. Even brazilians I work with are not that interested on it.
I switched off the moment the groups were drawn. Will get into it once we kick off our first game, I think.

The only remotely interesting thing is Brazil will be waiting in the final at the Maracaná for their battered and bruised contender. Fancy us if it gets to that.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I switched off the moment the groups were drawn. Will get into it once we kick off our first game, I think.
Is there some reason for the lack of enthusiasm? Afterall this is the equivalent of the Euro for South American + some random nations. Winning this also earns you a spot at Confed Cup, which is a nice title to fight for.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sucks that most of them games are probably overnight down here, because I love watching the South American teams.

antohan

Is there some reason for the lack of enthusiasm? Afterall this is the equivalent of the Euro for South American + some random nations. Winning this also earns you a spot at Confed Cup, which is a nice title to fight for.
1. The two invited teams are a turn off
2. Brazil has a piss easy group
3. Brazil then plays a 3rd placed team
4. Brazil then plays whoever wins the battle of 2nd placed teams
5. Final: Brazil with massive momentum vs AN Other

It doesn't help that it gets scattered across Brazil. When you play in a smaller country it is cheaper to travel and the fans getting together make a great atmosphere. World Cup in Brazil worked but CA doesn't in my opinion.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Do brazilians care about this less than the rest of South America?

Got a few Brazilian friends who are football fans and they’re not bothered at all.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
1. The two invited teams are a turn off
2. Brazil has a piss easy group
3. Brazil then plays a 3rd placed team
4. Brazil then plays whoever wins the battle of 2nd placed teams
5. Final: Brazil with massive momentum vs AN Other

It doesn't help that it gets scattered across Brazil. When you play in a smaller country it is cheaper to travel and the fans getting together make a great atmosphere. World Cup in Brazil worked but CA doesn't in my opinion.
Forgot the part where Brazil is a huge country. Sure for future editions FIFA / UEFA / CONMEBOL / etc should surely estabilish a maximum area permitted. The WC in Brazil teams who were place at Amazonas were completely fecked because not only that place is very far away, but also the climate over there is so different that the players will suffer when changing to another area.

Same happened in Russia, but for different reasons. Commutes in Russia were a nightmare for fans.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Got a few Brazilian friends who are football fans and they’re not bothered at all.
I do think brazilians have more clubitis than we think. As the season is rolling they see Copa America more as a nuisance for their teams to perform in the league than anything else.

antohan

Yes. Similar to how they ignored the Libertadores for years at one point. They like playing in bigger stages, not with a bunch of noisy neighbours frothing at the mouth.

I can see their point, there's no upside in beating Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela. For the latter it's a big game with massive upside potential, for Brazilians it's a bloody nuisance.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Colombia vs Argentina will be a nice one to follow.

SER19

Am I missing something? I’ve lived my whole life assuming the copa America is a really important tournament in South America, certainly have great memories watching it

antohan

Am I missing something? I’ve lived my whole life assuming the copa America is a really important tournament in South America, certainly have great memories watching it
It is for everyone else in South America (Spanish colonies). Brazilians (Portuguese colony) have no major beef with anyone other than the Argies though so the whole knife between the teeth dick swinging element that applies to us is lost on them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It is for everyone else in South America (Spanish colonies). Brazilians (Portuguese colony) have no major beef with anyone other than the Argies though so the whole knife between the teeth dick swinging element that applies to us is lost on them.
That is one great metaphor for football rivalries :D

antohan

That is one great metaphor for football rivalries :D
Dangerous as it is to hold a knife between your teeth while swinging your dick.

It is precisely that though, which also explains why nobody is much bothered when Brazil wins it. It's the default preferred alternative except for the Argies, so everyone else is happy.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Dangerous as it is to hold a knife between your teeth while swinging your dick.

It is precisely that though, which also explains why nobody is much bothered when Brazil wins it. It's the default preferred alternative except for the Argies, so everyone else is happy.
Argentina is the most hated football country in South America isn’t it?

antohan

That's the turnoff with this setup in a nutshell. We are all going to war with the prospect of arriving all bloody, battered and bruised to meet Brazil playing as hosts in the final. Sounds like a trap. Worse, those of us in other groups get our token WTF moment having to play some random country which isn't part-taking in the whole manhood assessment exercise but comes to actually play football. Will be hard to get into second gear.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I guess this edition Gold Cup winner probably gets a spot at Next Confederations Cup.
Confederations Cup is a thing of the past. It's been abolished.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
My bad, I'm terribly outdated. All to accommodate Qatar. Confed Cup was actually fun. It was like watching the WC preview trailer.
Agreed - I was a big fan. Good atmosphere, lots of goals, and fairly competitive matches with more intensity than international friendlies.

Schneckerl

I think Brazilians don't care that much about it, because how used they are to competing/getting results at the WC and it's a given for them to be the best country in South America. Historically they used to send B squads quite frequently.
Argentina has the trophy drought since 1993 and lost 5 finals in a row, for all other teams it's pretty much the biggest trophy they could realistically win.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
The post-WC Copa America always seems the least important. The teams are all really in the process of assembling squads for the WC qualifiers.

I believe soon they will be settling on a Copa America every 4 years on the same schedule as the Euros, which will definitely increase the interest.

antohan

The post-WC Copa America always seems the least important. The teams are all really in the process of assembling squads for the WC qualifiers.

I believe soon they will be settling on a Copa America every 4 years on the same schedule as the Euros, which will definitely increase the interest.
It already is every four years and always the year after the World Cup because thereafter the long route to the World Cup starts. 2016 was an anomaly (Centennial edition).

Conmebol qualifiers start in March 2020.

antohan

Argentina is the most hated football country in South America isn’t it?
I wouldn't say hate is the right word. It's just the universal/common standard of team you want to beat.

Seeing them lose is always enjoyable, not because you hate them but because the meltdowns are glorious.

I'm not sure you guys grasp how cable TV works here. There's Brazil as a Portuguese speaking island and the rest of us are "Latam" with a significant emphasis on Argentina across South America (Mexico in Central America).

Imagine Sky was the standard for all of Europe, you all spoke English, and everyone across the continent was regularly exposed to British coverage/football discussion, regardless of country, with all the arrogance from ex-footballer pundits banging on about Kane and Rashford yadda yadda.

England would be the team to beat, no doubt about that. Argies in meltdown debating Messi and their completely fecked up setup and FA provide endless entertainment.

Last edited:

Big Ben Foster

Supports
It already is every four years and always the year after the World Cup because thereafter the long route to the World Cup starts. 2016 was an anomaly (Centennial edition).

Conmebol qualifiers start in March 2020.
It's changing though. There's another Copa America next year and from then on, it'll be the same year as the Euros.

antohan

It's changing though. There's another Copa America next year and from then on, it'll be the same year as the Euros.
Seriously? That's a giant feck up. Why am I surprised... clearly nothing changing as far as football governance is concerned. All about $$$

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Seriously? That's a giant feck up. Why am I surprised... clearly nothing changing as far as football governance is concerned. All about $$$
Yeah, I'm not happy about it either. Much prefer having the Copa and the Euros in different years - more football to watch during the off-season that way.

I'd imagine it has something to do with wanting to not coincide with the Gold Cup; that way they can invite more CONCACAF teams when the Copa America inevitably expands to a 16 team tournament.

antohan

Yeah, I'm not happy about it either. Much prefer having the Copa and the Euros in different years - more football to watch during the off-season that way.

I'd imagine it has something to do with wanting to not coincide with the Gold Cup; that way they can invite more CONCACAF teams when the Copa America inevitably expands to a 16 team tournament.
Well, they can switch their tin pot cup then (yeah, I know, the Gold Cup will end up being a Copa America qualifier of sorts so needs to be held at WC+1).

But agree it's stupid to clash with the Euros, surely that's more commercially damaging than whatever TV revenue some random CONCACAF teams have to offer? It's only really Mexico and USA that matter basically, just switch the Gold Cup and invite both.

antohan

I think Brazilians care mostly about

a) the World Cup
b) Brasileirao
c) Libertadores
d) Copa América

in that order.
Another way to illustrate how much of an island they are:

2002 WC QF, Brazil vs England. The Brazilian equivalent of Jimmy Hill spent the entire game referring to England's right midfielder as Beckman.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I think this is the most likely lineup for Argentina

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes. Similar to how they ignored the Libertadores for years at one point. They like playing in bigger stages, not with a bunch of noisy neighbours frothing at the mouth.

I can see their point, there's no upside in beating Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela. For the latter it's a big game with massive upside potential, for Brazilians it's a bloody nuisance.
Brazil needs a major title though, haven't won the Copa America since 2007 and world cup since 2002 so bit of a drought for them in both competitions. I do find it odd hardly anything is made of Neymar not winning a major title with Brazil whereas it always gets wheeled out for Messi.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Most shocking is Argentina not winning anything since 1993, other than the Gold in the '08 Olympics. Yes, I know, three finals lost in 2014, 15 and 16.

Last chance as favorites for Messi and Agüero.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Most shocking is Argentina not winning anything since 1993, other than the Gold in the '08 Olympics. Yes, I know, three finals lost in 2014, 15 and 16.

Last chance as favorites for Messi and Agüero.
If he fails this year, I imagine the pressure gonna be unbearable next year (Hosted in Argentina). Looking forward to it.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
If he fails this year, I imagine the pressure gonna be unbearable next year (Hosted in Argentina). Looking forward to it.
He should win it this year. "Facing a Golden generation" was the excuse in 2011 (Uruguay: Godín, Cavani, Forlán, Suárez, etc) and 2015-16 (Chile: Bravo, Vargas, Vidal, Sanchez, etc),. No outstanding NTs this year. Neymar is out, etc. No excuses.