Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I was never a big fan of Conte but when he was available for us I believe we should have gone for him.

He would have won a title for United in 2 years as he always tends to do in his contracts and this bit of success would make us a proper successful football club again than being a club that lived in the 90’s.

We would have got some quality players like Kulusevski or Bissouma - arguably even better players because we have more money than Spurs as well.

Right now we have no one in any of our weak spots.
No mate your team,board and fans were too much entitled. Coaches like him are rare. He is the only coach in this world who can improve your lot lot higher. He is the only coach who trained players to play according to his pattern. He almost like director of film. His teams just redo training ground methods on the pitch.

I said when Conte was appointed as spurs coach he will finish in top 4. They were in no position to catch up or players at his disposal not good as he had at chelsea. But he has the ability to make Moses like players integral to title winning team.

Just look the player named kulusevski. Flop at Juve and his confidence was gone. Enter Conte into his career now he is flying and now one of the best attacker in league. Kane wanted to move away from spurs and now he is enjoying to play for spurs and Conte.

It's tough to win title in pl of course but I won't be surprised if he do that or come close to it.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He kind of just does it by 2 seasons doesn’t he?

I don’t rate his knock out trophy football that much but he is absolutely insane when it comes to league football.
Once the ceiling is not so high anymore, he just fecks off… that’s why Spurs are on a all-in route: if he finishes 2nd, will he stay another year to fight for 1st or just land another comfort job?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He took the worst Juve ever (coming 7th and 7th) to the title in the following season; he took an absymal Italy (with Pelle, Zaza, Eder, etc.) to Euro 2016 QF and losing to penalties to Germany.
It's not how well he improves teams, he always does that. It's the fact that to win a title currently in England, he has 2 the overcome 2 of the best performing league teams ever, with 2 of the best managers in the world, who have already had a few years head start in him building up his team / squad.

That's without even throwing Chelsea and Tuchel into the mix who could spend £300M on players this window. Like i say if he does it, fair do's to him.

el3mel

They have a good team now but not to that degree. They won't challenge this season, but maybe in one or two more seasons with continuous investment and if he sticks around.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
His kind of football can't win the PL or any other top league IMO, the time that type of football won leagues has passed.
Problem is that his record in cup competitions isn't good either.

Ludens the Red

They won’t get close to the league unless he basically alters them into playing a 433 and getting more bodies in midfield to control the game more. Or even the 352 he played at Inter and Juve would be better. At the minute pretty much every game they play they get dominated for large periods and have get bossed for spells in midfield. And even when they counter they struggle to get bodies up to support the front three.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
A draw away at West Ham is not a bad result, they can even feel shortchanged tonight. On Conte’s part, accepting to lose a few games (-1 point) in order to try and win more (+2 points) could make Spurs’ run more exciting, in case.

Lee565

Honestly I think spurs under conte this season Is probably the best hope of the premier league not being a one horse race

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They've not played particularly well yet.
They haven't however that suggests there is another level or two that they can achieve when everything starts to click. Son has been in terrible form so far as an example. Not playing well but still winning is not a bad way to be. Will be a big test on Saturday.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They've not played particularly well yet.
I watched large parts of the game last night, and the bits I seen Marseille looked like the home team. Spurs were defending in a low block inside their half and Marseille were just passing round them.

Im not sure how sustainable that is over long term, its not like Marseille are a great outfit.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Spurs are the same as Arsenal. They can be scrapping wins against lesser teams that gives them a good chance of top 4, but you just know they will lose big games and if they get into any decent position, choke. Don’t trust them at all to challenge.

Skills

Snitch
I watched large parts of the game last night, and the bits I seen Marseille looked like the home team. Spurs were defending in a low block inside their half and Marseille were just passing round them.

Im not sure how sustainable that is over long term, its not like Marseille are a great outfit.
It works if you've got a match winner like Kane.

If Richarlison steps up and Son finds form as well they'll be fine. How many of other teams have got 2 forwards who've scored 20+ league goals in the same line up (who should still be at their best, and compliment each other really well).

If Son doesn't find form though, eventually they'll run out of steam.

Skills

Snitch
Spurs are the same as Arsenal. They can be scrapping wins against lesser teams that gives them a good chance of top 4, but you just know they will lose big games and if they get into any decent position, choke. Don’t trust them at all to challenge.
Spurs have been good in the big games under Conte.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Haven't seen anything to suggest they will. I went to the West Ham game last midweek, and even though they controlled the 1st half it never felt like they would kill it off, and allowed West Ham back in. Not the first time they have played like that

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They match up well v Man. City these days, knocking them out of CL in 2009 helped their mentality there so will be interesting duel this weekend although tougher for Spurs with it being away.

Are they playing Liverpool anytime soon as I could certainly see them turning them over a few times on counter attack with the state Liverpool are in.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I was at the game as I’m in London for a few days and got the same feeling. Marseille looked far more comfortable in the first half even if they did not create much and still looked fairly okay even when down to 10 men. I doubt Spurs would have won that game 11 v 11.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It works if you've got a match winner like Kane.

If Richarlison steps up and Son finds form as well they'll be fine. How many of other teams have got 2 forwards who've scored 20+ league goals in the same line up (who should still be at their best, and compliment each other really well).

If Son doesn't find form though, eventually they'll run out of steam.
True, the fact they are where they are in the table is down to having top class forwards.

Listen, I appreciate I am heavily biased but I do try and be fair and honest.

I just think unless they evolve their way of playing, relying in top class forwards every game to bail you out just isn't sustainable for long term success.

In a way, their general play reminds me of Wolves a couple of years back, ironically under Nuno. Play with a back 3/5, stay solid in midfield etc. Only difference is Spurs have greater quality at the top end of the pitch. But I just think that every instance of that way of playing eventually gets found out.

Listen, Conte might evolve it as time goes by, to be more proactive, more expansive etc. And before anyone says anything, I was saying the exact same thing about Arteta needing to evolve Arsenal's play as well, as that wasn't sustainable for success long term. Im hoping he's on his way of doing that.

Last edited:

Chief123

Having watched nearly every spurs game this season, it’s been dire to watch in most parts.

I just can not understand why anyone would want Conte at Utd. It’s horrible to watch regardless of what results he might get.

It’s one of the very few decisions the board have made which I’ve agreed with in not trying to bring him in.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Can he feck. Give him a proper club like United or Chelsea and he would.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Having watched nearly every spurs game this season, it’s been dire to watch in most parts.

I just can not understand why anyone would want Conte at Utd. It’s horrible to watch regardless of what results he might get.

It’s one of the very few decisions the board have made which I’ve agreed with in not trying to bring him in.
Everyone got too fixated on their signings but I don’t see how they’re much better than they were last year. They should have lost to us and we are pretty shite right now. It’s early but cannot see them earning a top 4 place, however they could still become “the best of the rest” if other candidates fail during the season.

Chief123

Everyone got too fixated on their signings but I don’t see how they’re much better than they were last year. They should have lost to us and we are pretty shite right now. It’s early but cannot see them earning a top 4 place, however they could still become “the best of the rest” if other candidates fail during the season.
I can see them still getting top 4 because of how they setup most games but it is absolutely dire to watch.

Everytime I watch spurs I thank God we never got him. It would have been a difficult period watching 5 at the back football.

Zippycup

I think his players are so afraid of making a mistake that they don't want to take a risk.

Time and time again against Arsenal they've gone for the easy option when a more risky pass may have resulted in a goal.

Chief123

I think his players are so afraid of making a mistake that they don't want to take a risk.

Time and time again against Arsenal they've gone for the easy option when a more risky pass may have resulted in a goal.
Ironically they’ve made 3 big mistakes which have cost them the game today.

Guy Incognito

They don't have runners in midfield or players who can retain the ball effectively.

The front three is great but if it's another season without silverware surely Kane and Son will look elsewhere?

Remember the geese

I don't think Conte is anywhere near what he's been cracked up to be. At a time where City and Pep are King, I don't believe you can win the title by playing the way he sets his team up to play. His brand of football may well win them a cup of some description and that may be enough for some to deem his time there as a success.

Spurs have been overrated this season in much the same way as Chelsea were a year ago. Although at least the latter had a Champions League win that proceeded last season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think Conte is anywhere near what he's been cracked up to be. At a time where City and Pep are King, I don't believe you can win the title by playing the way he sets his team up to play. His brand of football may well win them a cup of some description and that may be enough for some to deem his time there as a success.

Spurs have been overrated this season in much the same way as Chelsea were a year ago. Although at least the latter had a Champions League win that proceeded last season.
They were never going to win the title, not sure why some people started jumping at that for them. He's improved them massively but they're still quite a bit off the level City and Liverpool have shown is the standard. They can be a low 80's point team, not the mid to high 90's that is required to win the league against Pep IMO.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They were never going to win the title, not sure why some people started jumping at that for them. He's improved them massively but they're still quite a bit off the level City and Liverpool have shown is the standard. They can be a low 80's point team, not the mid to high 90's that is required to win the league against Pep IMO.
Yeah I agree with this, we still don't have the squad to really challenge. Another couple of windows needed before I'd feel anyway confident we have a shot.

Remember the geese

Even disregarding the title talk for a second, I've seen many speak of Spurs as if they are absolutely nailed on for a top 4 spot. Gary Neville being one of them. I have never been able to understand that at all. They have a reasonable chance of top 4, don't get me wrong, but it's equally as likely that they will finish 5th or 6th.

Lentwood

It was a classic Spurs-y window were they signed good players but players who don't improve them. The likes of Bissouma and Richarlison are fine for 10th-4th but they're not going to take you a deal further than that

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Even disregarding the title talk for a second, I've seen many speak of Spurs as if they are absolutely nailed on for a top 4 spot. Gary Neville being one of them. I have never been able to understand that at all. They have a reasonable chance of top 4, don't get me wrong, but it's equally as likely that they will finish 5th or 6th.
Yeah i think right now you've got a 5 way race for top 4, with City the only certs. Liverpool you assume will get their level back up but with the others looking good, a top 4 fight might just be where they're at right now. There's no reason to look at Spurs as more than any of the others IMO. Arsenal if anything with their start look most likely to keep this going.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It was a classic Spurs-y window were they signed good players but players who don't improve them. The likes of Bissouma and Richarlison are fine for 10th-4th but they're not going to take you a deal further than that
What nonsense. Bissouma one of the best midfielders in the league last season and Richarlison is Brazil's number 9 ahead of Jesus. Both improve our squad greatly. We just need more and are mid way through a total squad rebuild.

Remember the geese

What nonsense. Bissouma one of the best midfielders in the league last season and Richarlison is Brazil's number 9 ahead of Jesus. Both improve our squad greatly. We just need more and are mid way through a total squad rebuild.
They are decent players, but nothing more than that really.

Remember the geese

Yeah i think right now you've got a 5 way race for top 4, with City the only certs. Liverpool you assume will get their level back up but with the others looking good, a top 4 fight might just be where they're at right now. There's no reason to look at Spurs as more than any of the others IMO. Arsenal if anything with their start look most likely to keep this going.
Agree with all of this. It's early, but Arsenal really have put themselves in a great position. They are the darkest of horses, but I see them as one of only three teams that can compete for the title this season. Liverpool being the other, due to past history. Although realistically, you just struggle to see past City.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As I said on other thread, are you happy with Lloris still playing every week? Perhaps this was his first poor game in 12 months but I always feel he lets in soft goals in these type of games.

Surprised you haven't got a top young prospect ready to take over given it's Fraser Forster as your sub keeper this season.