Can we get a result at Leipzig?

Siorac

Do you not think we were the better side from 25mins until the red card?
We were the better team until they started creating chances before the second goal. For some reason, this is getting overlooked. They hit the bar in the 64th minute, missed a big chance in the 68th minute and then they took the lead a minute later.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Yes we can but it shouldn't have been this tight.
If we do get through we better do something in the knockouts and not bollocks it up with the usual spineless displays there.

Ollie Derbyshire

Course we can, haven’t been impressed with Leipzig and don’t think we should be fearing them at all.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Nagelsman is a smart manager, so if Ole goes to Leipzig with the same tactics and formation then we'll get beat. Hopefully Shaw and Axel are fit, so that we could go with 3 at the back. This game may actually play to our strengths, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
[/QUOT]

Will you admit that Ole totally outsmarted Nageslman the first match? Why do you think the advantage is with him now?

croadyman

I feel Leipzig also is a bit up and down. And I don’t think PSG are guaranteed to win against Istanbul. Everybody was very disappointed we didn’t get one point vs Istanbul, but watching them yesterday against Leipzig, they’re not a bad team. Everything can happen in this group
We quite clearly took Istanbul likely and that arrogance got exactly what it deserved, fully expect PSG to show us how to give this a lot a bloody good hiding next week

SAFMUTD

Its all about mentality, it seems we perform better when we are the underdog. I feel way more confident on going to germany rather than receiving them at old trafford.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm more confident against RB than west ham. Teams in Champions League tend to leave us more space in behind. And we'll concede in both anyway.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Joking aren't you?

How many semi-finals did we bottle last season? 3?

Other teams we come up against in these close ties are always more streetwise than us. Leipzig themselves were much better vs. us than they were given credit for. They made us look like underdogs on our own pitch, struggling to put two passes together for large periods. They had us penned in our own half after we scored. Scoring 4 goals in the last 15 mins does not change that.

I question this team and coaching staff's mentality in the biggest matches.

I believe the trend will continue, and we will bottle the Leipzig game next week too.

Giggsy13

Will you admit that Ole totally outsmarted Nageslman the first match? Why do you think the advantage is with him now?
Ole did well the first time but good managers adjust. I recall last year we beat city at the ethiad 2-1 and it was a tactical masterclass by Ole. Cue the second game, which was the 1st leg of the semi-finals of the Carabao cup, Pep adjusted, and city handled us at OT 3-1. Nagelsman is a good manager and will adjust the second time around. The question is whether Ole will do the same to ensure we put out a strong second performance. I think 3-5-2 is the way to go and is a formation that's produced some pretty good results for us in big games.

MonkeysMagic

In a game where two results take you through but the third knocks you out, we will contrive to limp to the third! Thats been the trend over the last few years and I can only base my judgement on what's gone before.

GenZRed

If only we didn't lose in Istanbul. Then only a draw last night would have been enough for us to finish top of the group.

Withnail

We were the better team until they started creating chances before the second goal. For some reason, this is getting overlooked. They hit the bar in the 64th minute, missed a big chance in the 68th minute and then they took the lead a minute later.
Point taken re the timings but the point i was trying to make was the team played well for large periods of the game and really should have been in front at that stage.

vanrooney

The team is going in the right direction. With a bit of luck Cavani scores and martial should have burried his chances. We played two games against the cl finalist of last season and were more than a good match. It was naiv to not take Fred of but all in all I think ole does well and we will get through against rbl

The team is going in the right direction. With a bit of luck Cavani scores and martial should have burried his chances. We played two games against the cl finalist of last season and were more than a good match. It was naiv to not take Fred of but all in all I think ole does well and we will get through against rbl
This.

I would add that, despite Ole being wrong not taking Fred off, the player needs to take some responsibility because it is idiotic to make that type of challenge when on a yellow. Fred's not a kid, he's an experienced Champions League and international player. The manager must have felt he could trust the player not to be an idiot.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Ole and this crew always pull it out of the depths of the fire when it has turned into a diarrhoea mess :lol:

croadyman

If only we didn't lose in Istanbul. Then only a draw last night would have been enough for us to finish top of the group.
That result was an absolute fecking disgrace and makes me raging just thinking about it

mancave bear

Yes we can. But Leipzig is a good team, so we can play well and stil loose. Thats footbal.

One thing Ole has proved is that he can get a result against the odds. Granted, credit goes to having the players, but he also knows how to set up the team to play as underdogs and get the result.

croadyman

How on earth have we put ourselves in this position after those first two games

Foxbatt

How on earth have we put ourselves in this position after those first two games
Because we thought we were better than we actually are.
We tried to play football against PSG. We shouldn't. We should have had 4 midfielders and be compact and narrow. Jam the middle of the pitch. Don't attack unless it's our two forwards running behind their defense. Don't let AWB and Telles cross the centre line in open play.
The more it went on the more desperate PSG would have been. That forces them to attack and open more space at the back.
Bring on Martial for James who should have started. Manage the game depending on the situation.

croadyman

Because we thought we were better than we actually are.
We tried to play football against PSG. We shouldn't. We should have had 4 midfielders and be compact and narrow. Jam the middle of the pitch. Don't attack unless it's our two forwards running behind their defense. Don't let AWB and Telles cross the centre line in open play.
The more it went on the more desperate PSG would have been. That forces them to attack and open more space at the back.
Bring on Martial for James who should have started. Manage the game depending on the situation.
That performance in Istanbul still makes me sick to my stomach and has let off PSG & Leipzig massively

Foxbatt

That performance in Istanbul still makes me sick to my stomach and has let off PSG & Leipzig massively
Not only that game but last night we should have at least got a point. That frustrates me more. The moment I saw the team I knew that we COULD be in trouble. Long before they scored when I saw the way we were playing I thought that everyone has gone mad. It looked like we had to win the game to progress. We played right into their hands. People will talk about the Martial miss. Rightly so too but it should never had gone to that. We should have shut up shop from the kick off.
We could have attacked with the two strikers only. Neymar is always going to beat one player. We needed to deny him the space. That is why we needed that compact space. yes we went with two wide wingers and a CF. It was utter madness. AWB and Telles joining the attack at their box, over lapping etc. We should have let them come up against our compact defence. Any crosses would have been easily dealt by Maguire and Lindelof.

OT1214

Top of the group after 5 games. Could be out of CL after 6th. Crazy. Hope to get a positive result against Leipzig.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I can't call it at all. No idea which United is going to show up. Could see us looking classically uninterested, or guns blazing. Won't get my hopes up for the latter.

Greck

I can't call it at all. No idea which United is going to show up. Could see us looking classically uninterested, or guns blazing. Won't get my hopes up for the latter.
Same then I remember we have Bruno who can will us to victory by sheer determination alone even when we're playing bad

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Aaahhh there are still Solskjaer fans :lol::houllier:
Couldn’t be further from the truth as most of my posts state. Not the man to bring us titles IMO but I never wish is to lose and hope he can prove me wrong.

Just always find it odd anyone hoping we lose for whatever reason, doesn’t make sense.

Jeffthered

Course we can, haven’t been impressed with Leipzig and don’t think we should be fearing them at all.
Yep. They are not much at all, and I personally will be quite surprised and v v disappointed if we don't beat this side pretty comfortbaly. Plus we are playing away, which seems to suit OGS and how he sets up his players, both tactically and mentally, as we seem to play with more freedom when

a: we are away from home and / or
b: when people do not expect us to win / would not be surprised if we lost

I don't like it, but it seems the way we are.

Last edited: