Can we stop blaming managers and start looking at the real problem?

Ollie Derbyshire

Why do we need to stick with Ole? Look, Woodward is the main problem but you need to also hire a capable manager. Ole simply isn’t capable, that’s very clear now.
Because if we change now who is to say they will do any better with this group of players? I don’t think we should change managers to only start the process of different ideas all over again. It’s got us no where over the last 6 yrs.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Everyone with half a brain knows it's the Glazers that are the root disease - everything else is just a symptom.

The question is can we do anything to cure the Glazers? And is treating the symptoms going to help or make things worse?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Everyone with half a brain knows it's the Glazers that are the root disease - everything else is just a symptom.

The question is can we do anything to cure the Glazers? And is treating the symptoms going to help or make things worse?
Hmm.
I have very little time for the owners but that is what they are; owners. They might not be that best but it is obvious that their main objective is growing their investment.
To my mind the primary problem lies with those who are actually running the club.
And that has to be the CEO.
As far as the owners are concerned he is in charge. He dictates policy and objectives.
Manchester United is a football club but is not being managed to deliver football excellence; rather financial excellence.

EvilChuck

Louis van Gaal was hamstrung by the board?
Seriously, the money he had spent on bang average players was absolutely inexcusable, he should’ve been sacked in Dec of 2015.

Mourinho was backed plenty too, up until his last window.

The Glazers fecked us over during the SAF era the most, we should’ve bought players like D.Silva and Aguero, instead of shite “value” signings.
I said this in another thread a few days ago. Sir Alex should have been given the funds to rebuild, and then had a team go into their prime when he retired.

Instead City fans have a song that literally says 'you signed Phil Jones and we signed Kun Aguero', and if that doesnt sum up Sir Alex's last few years perfectly.

The club wasted years with the GOAT manager, because they could. When that was the perfect time to spend big

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
There's always a tipping point moment where a manager has to be sacked because nothing they do will be able to turn the ship around with the fans. Moyes, LvG, and Jose all had it and got shown the door. Ole isn't remotely there yet, but his time will come sooner than the others since he has no significant experience or results to show for himself.
It would help if we had fan forums that moderated the knee jerkers a little more than they are.

Foxbatt

Saf didn't sign Hazard because he thought he won't make it in the pl. The same with Aguero.

But why Ole is my question. Why did the board and some fans think he can turn it around? In these kinds of issues past history has to be taken into account. There are much better managers than Ole around with better track records. So why him?
Apart from getting rid of 4 players and bringing in 3 what else has he done?
Yes you can say we are fitter and we press. Then what? We can't take a decent corner, we can't take a decent free kick and we can't take a decent penalty and we don't know how to pass or even take throw in. We don't know what to do if the other teams remain defensive and compact. We can't defend when the ball is in the air and we don't know how to use the substitute players. We can't even beat the Old Fox.

Last edited:

reddevilz007

The manager picked Pereira and Mata in his starting xi. Then subbed in Lingard. Gives Greenwood barely any time to get it going.

Yes, it’s the responsibility of the whole hierarchy itself, but on the pitch, the manager has to make it work with whatever he has at his disposal.

Bestofthebest

Because if we change now who is to say they will do any better with this group of players? I don’t think we should change managers to only start the process of different ideas all over again. It’s got us no where over the last 6 yrs.
Agree with this argument but would also add the following conundrum.

If we change manager again I presume Woody will be at the forefront of that decision making process so why on earth does anyone believe he will make a better job of it this time round. We can't keep changing managers and thus players, tactics etc ad infinitum until Woody strikes lucky. We could be playing 1st. division before we get it right with him in charge. And don't forget that as soon as a new manager loses a few games a lot on here will be calling for his head/blaming Woody or both.

Whilst I agree Ole was appointed in haste I cannot see the point of changing just for the sake of it. There are absolutely no guarantees of doing better with the next choice even if Woody is removed from the equation ( which he won't be ) A very difficult job of replacing Fergie has now be turned into a not very funny joke.

Denis79

Nope he didnt sign him because he didnt want to play the huge agent fee. The agent fee was £7M...he then spent that same £7M on Bebe. The man is the GOAT but he did make mistakes too.
Looking back now we know he had a net spend of 20M / season, he had to be frugal. He had no problems breaking transfer records prior to 2005. During the same 8 year period Chelsea outspent us by more than 500M pounds, net. But I agree it was a mistake not to push for Hazard and what a player we would have had.

stevoc

MrEarl

Ole is in an impossible situation. He has a team with only two reliable mobile central midfielders. After Pogba and McTominay Fred is the best bet and clearly Ole, desperate as he must be, doesn't rate him. I doubt that there is a team in the Championship much less the Premier League with only two mobile reliable central midfielders. That's why Ole plays Lingard. He needs his mobility and defensive tenacity to make up for the lack of central midfielders.

Last year when Herrera was injured for a period of time United's quality of play went down the tubes because there was no cover for Herrera. Still no cover this year but also no Herrera anymore. Folks rightly criticize playing Pogba in such a deep position but there's no cover for him to move into an attacking midfielder position.

My opinion is that Ole is a walking dead man. He's doing a decent job for a guy with an incomplete midfield in one of the toughest leagues in the world. But what will happen in the likely event that eventually Pogba and/or McTominay sustain a long-term injury? He doesn't have anybody mobile and reliable to take either of their places. Top six finish could be in jeopardy.
And who will take the blame? It won't be Mr. Ed. No problem after six years of failure. Why would 7 years make any difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

Denis79

That would be a start.
Half the stadium is full of tourists anyways, people who don't follow the club with a passion. I've had several ask me why I'm wearing a Norwich scarf at the games I've attended.

Mr PG

The manager picked Pereira and Mata in his starting xi. Then subbed in Lingard. Gives Greenwood barely any time to get it going.

Yes, it’s the responsibility of the whole hierarchy itself, but on the pitch, the manager has to make it work with whatever he has at his disposal.
True. Fred and Tuanzebe should be playing ahead of lindeleof and Perreira... Jesus even Stevie Wonder would see this.

Ole is clueless as far as game management

Mr PG

Our coaches were both working in Norway and Australia last season. We can clear the deadwood all we want but with such an average coach we will make the same recruitment errors.

LJJT

Our coaches were both working in Norway and Australia last season. We can clear the deadwood all we want but with such an average coach we will make the same recruitment errors.
One of which was fergies right hand man for years

Jericholyte2

I feel this is what Ole is trying to address. Yes, this season it’s going to result in a thread-bare squad but he’s looking at keeping players he can trust, then add as he needs to (or the board will allow).

simplyared

If the team aren't producing the football they should be and not getting the results they should be, sooner or later the manager will be questioned. So why should Ole be any different?

Roboc7

The manager isn’t only problem but it’s only one that is likely to change. Club still hasn’t learnt they need a structure behind the scenes and need people who can actually run a football club. To have not learnt that in over six years and despite wasting hundreds of millions tells you a lot.

We’ll change manager at some point this season, it’ll be same clueless people looking for a replacement and will have to be someone out of work. Then we’ll repeat same cycle in transfer windows and be back to square one in no time.

Unless Poch or someone else lands in our lap I don’t see how it when things will get better.

Raven96__

Supports
Real Madrid
The manager is a part of the problem right now, Ole is not the right man to lead.

dmode

The problem is simpler... this season's end will prove you all wrong... pathetic theory and all :houllier:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

You are right mate. The Glazers are everything that is wrong with the club.

What’s the point of sacking Woodward when they will just appoint appoint Woodward 2.0?

What’s the point of sacking managers when they are seemingly unwilling to truly back a new manager in the transfer market?

Nothing is going to change until we are sold.

Appointing such an inexperienced manager in Ole to lead the biggest rebuild job in 40 years is another sign of their utter incompetence. But of course, it was the cheapest option so why wouldn’t these parasites go with it.

Le Red

I am not defending each manager outright, but as a group. Moyes, van Gaal, Mourinho and now Ole have all been hamstrung by the owners and their lapdog. No manager, of any ability would succeed here, not any better than Jose did anyway because it's a case of one step forward, 3 steps back.

Sacking Ole just starts the process again. Nothing changes while they run the show.
In this last two paragraphs you summed up all my thoughts better than I could express them.
All the managers made their mistakes, but they were set up to take the lion's share of the blame that should befall the accursed owners of the club, and their executioner.

Le Red

Question for all the brilliant minds saying that "we have more than one problem" and "it's the manager's and the players' fault as well":

Who hired the fecking players and the fecking manager?

dove

Our board is of course inept because they just can't stop making stupid decisions with all our managerial appointments. All managers post SAF were simply the wrong choice, Ole one probably tops it all. We hired him purely because of the fact he is an ex player who smiles, unlike most of others who share their true opinion of what's happening at our club.

MrBrightside1989

There must be some problems with the scouting department, we have a huge team of scouts but never sign anyone who needs scouting. Everyone could see how well AWB was doing at Palace, maguire is the England centre back and James was a highly rated youngster in the championship. Other teams are pulling good players in from across the world who have proven themselves as elite premier league players- Jesus, Son, Bernardo, Richarlison etc.

What do our scouts do? They certainly never find us a first teamer at decent value...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
1. Owners invested a shit ton of money in the last few years, what the feck are you on about? That's their job, to approve investment of money.
Of course they won't spend more now. If you want to blame someone blame Woody, but the owners invested money, jesus.

2. It's the managers that we hired in the last 7 years. Without a DOF we let managers identify players that they thought would fit their plans, big mistake.
Out of a billion spent we only got Pogba and Ander to show for as half decent signings.

That is a very very grim statistic that shows:
- absolute lack of transfer knowledge
- manager's inability to embed and improve new players

I might be a bit of a prick here, but in the last 7 years, can you think of a specific manager that vastly improved one of our players?

3. No DOF

Our issues are beyond ownership, deep in the overall structure and the direction the club is going from a sporting perspective.
It will fail over and over and over again until we hire a person with proven success in running a club on the football end. Once we do, we'll be able to:
- identify the proper players
- identify the proper managers
- breed the whole youth structure based on our own football principle and direction

4. Very average football training staff, at all age levels:

I was watching Betis yesterday and noticed their crisp passing and ability to stop the ball. Without blinking I can name 4-5 of our starting 11 that can't hit a 20 meter crisp pass or can't stop a fecking ball.
Also, our tactical know-how is absolutely shit. Just look at yesterday's game. Even with one extra man, our attacking plan was to crowd the left corner of the field and somehow get a cross in from there. That's bad management and players that lack adaptation skills.

TLDR: In my humble opinion, the vast issues are: no DOF, shit managers, very average core of players, poor training methods, poor tactics, poor technical skills from the players part.

The only faults I see in the owners are:
- letting woody run the club
- not hiring a good DOF
- approving huge contracts to the likes of Rashford, Sanchez and so on. 21 year olds shouldn't be on 200 KPW, 31 years olds shouldn't be on 400 KPW. Players should prove their worth for the club 1st and then be on massive money, not the other way around.
Good post. Agree on all points.

Amerifan

It would help if we had fan forums that moderated the knee jerkers a little more than they are.
The Ignore button is your friend. I come here for fun. If I wanted to hear whining I’d turn on the TV news.

fastwalker

Don't think we'll be in a relegation battle but I also don't believe we'll make top 4, maybe not even top 6. Ole has been blindsided by the Americans and Woody, it's going to be a tough, tough battle this season.
I have said before on here that this side is good enough to get top four both in it's own right and by virtue of the fact that Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea will drop a lot of points. Some of the problems we have faced are down to poor chance conversion. If things had been just slightly different, we could easily have 10 points. The results have been very disappointing but the performances have not been ragged. That said we need to sort out how to breakdown defences that defend deep. This is the third time we have lost points against deep lying defences.

WensleyMU

There are many here simply not getting it.

It doesn't matter who the manager is, it could be Sir Klopp of Pep or Lady Pep of Klopp, it won't matter. It took a man greater than all the current managers and all those who went before to keep us at the top, and now he is gone.

We are being held back from the very top. People keep bringing money into this yet we make more than everyone in the league and most of the world, yet we aren't willing to spend what is really required. We will do half a job, then scrap it and start over.

We absolutely should have spent better, but having 4 separate managers try to do there thing means that it breaks down to around £180million per manager, which, when looking to rebuild simply isn't enough. A rebuild is going to cost upwards of £4-500million for us, and every year we fail to make the grade, it will cost us even more.

So no, this isn't a "blame the owners 100%" thread, but a "let's start at the top" thread.

We've blamed the managers and players (and every single one of us is guilty of one or both) for years, while they sit pretty, with the occasional murmur of discontent.

WensleyMU

Also, if anyone doubts the dangers of bad owners, just take a glance at the Bury and Bolton thread.

Or, for a more direct comparison... Liverpool a decade ago under Hicks and Gillette.