Can we talk about how bad Daniel Levy is for Spurs yet?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I know a Spurs fan who, for a while, has wanted to kill Levy and Joe Lewis (who owns more of Spurs than Levy) for their lack of spending.

Telsim

Ed Woodward is 100x worse than Levy, it's hilarious you are even suggesting otherwise.
I agree with this. Levy is fecking shit, but at the end of the day it's still just Tottenham. However, it takes something special to bring Manchester United to it's knees. I don't know or care what his intentions were, but Woodward's sheer incompetence is the stuff of legends. The Time of Myths stuff. The man managed to fail something deemed too big to fail. A club that won the title 6 times in 10 years to a club that won the title 0 times in 10 years. Not even close to challenging, actually. It takes special talent to do this.

Also, what do you guys reckon is the chance he would sell up? I think Qatar might go after them next in the following years.

acnumber9

As much as I think Woodward has been the main reason for our 'lost years' he did increase revenues by a few folds (or we would be in deeper shit) and we did win some silverware along the way.

You can't say the same with Levy.
Did he? Or did we just benefit from the increased TV deals that he played no part in negotiating?

acnumber9

Really isn't. Levy is horrendous for Tottenham, he got lucky with Pochettino, had a tiny bit of success with him. Still didn't win anything. He's held Tottenham back for over a decade.

He doesn't give one feck about Tottenhams footballing success, doesn't give a shit about the fans. He's awful. I pity any team that has to put up with a man like that. Imagine being a top 5/6 team in the PL and showing zero ambition. That's Tottenham, a joke of a club. A football meme.
Sounds pretty much exactly like Woodward then.

MegadrivePerson

The Spurs fans who grew up in the era of Alan Sugar will still see Levy as an upgrade. Not sure if that's a benchmark.
They have made massive progress off the pitch and some progress on it, compared to the 90's version of Spurs at least.

When I look at where they are on the pitch now though it's clear that they need a complete overhaul.

The one player (Kane) that you'd want to keep seems almost certain to be off in the next 12 months. Son and Kulusevski have dropped off a lot compared to last season and Richarlison has completely flopped. They need new goalkeepers and defenders and Bentancur is the only midfielder that I rate.

How are they going to be able to finance the sort of rebuild that they need?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Really isn't. Levy is horrendous for Tottenham, he got lucky with Pochettino, had a tiny bit of success with him. Still didn't win anything. He's held Tottenham back for over a decade.

He doesn't give one feck about Tottenhams footballing success, doesn't give a shit about the fans. He's awful. I pity any team that has to put up with a man like that. Imagine being a top 5/6 team in the PL and showing zero ambition. That's Tottenham, a joke of a club. A football meme.
And yet he's better than Woodward. He actually despite all his flaws took Spurs up a level.
Literally every thing you said above is true for Woodward too. Except Woodward relegated United a few levels down from what they were. Levy at least made astute appointments (his most astute probably being Paul Mitchell but you hanging your hat solely on Poch explains everything).

It's nuts to suggest Levy is worse than Woodward unless it's coming from a trolling rival fan

HarryP

I remember 20 years ago Spurs were fishing in the same pond as Everton, Blackburn and Villa.

They now have the best stadium in the UK, have regularly qualified for the CL despite vastly increased competition and can attract world class managers. Contrast all of this with the clubs they could have been compared with a couple of decades ago.

Levy has done an absolutely incredible job at that football club.

Gums

I remember 20 years ago Spurs were fishing in the same pond as Everton, Blackburn and Villa.

They now have the best stadium in the UK, have regularly qualified for the CL despite vastly increased competition and can attract world class managers. Contrast all of this with the clubs they could have been compared with a couple of decades ago.

I honestly do not remember Spurs ever fishing in the same pond as the teams you mentioned. In my memories they were always a top-4 challenger, even before the top-4 existed. Being a United fan with a soft spot for Ossie Ardiles and Glenn Hoddle, maybe I just didn’t pay enough attention. But I’m interested in other replies to your take.

HarryP

I honestly do not remember Spurs ever fishing in the same pond as the teams you mentioned. In my memories they were always a top-4 challenger, even before the top-4 existed. Being a United fan with a soft spot for Ossie Ardiles and Glenn Hoddle, maybe I just didn’t pay enough attention. But I’m interested in other replies to your take.

Where Tottenham finished in the league for the 5 years before Levy

96/97 - 10th
97/98 - 14th
98/99 - 11th
99/00 - 10th
00/01 - 12th

Levy takes over the club in 2001

01/02 - 9th
02/03 - 10th
03/04 - 14th
04/05 - 9th
05/06 - 5th
06/07 - 5th
07/08 - 11th
08/09 - 8th
09/10 - 4th
10/11 - 5th
11/12 - 4th
12/13 - 5th
13/14 - 6th
14/15 - 5th
15/16 - 3rd
16/17 - 2nd
17/18 - 3rd
18/19 - 4th

19/20 - 6th
20/21 - 7th
21/22 - 4th

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Another way of looking at it would be no trophies since 2008 and £1bn in debt. Lewis is trying to sell, but no takers ?

If it's a success depends on what your goal is. Clearly, in terms of winning anything it's total failure. Though they have at least been in the CL, 4th place trophy and increasing the "value" of the club, even though they lose money , like every football club pretty much, is a kind of success. If that's what you think a football club should be about.

For what it's worth, I see the new Chelsea being similar.

Glorio

Bets on Levy backing himself to do the business in the dugout this Thursday?

HarryP

Another way of looking at it would be no trophies since 2008 and £1bn in debt. Lewis is trying to sell, but no takers ?

If it's a success depends on what your goal is. Clearly, in terms of winning anything it's total failure. Though they have at least been in the CL, 4th place trophy and increasing the "value" of the club, even though they lose money , like every football club pretty much, is a kind of success. If that's what you think a football club should be about.

For what it's worth, I see the new Chelsea being similar.
Yeah but that's a pretty dumb way of looking at things.

Obviously the best route to trophies is to increase the stature of the club through revenue and having an attractive stadium and training facilities. This is obviously a very gradual and difficult process for what was a midtable club with no nation state backing. Spurs have done incredible to the point where people are saying being 5th and reaching the knockout stages of the CL is a crisis season. A club like Leicester, who have won the PL and FA cup in recent years, would bite your hands off for that type of 'crisis' now.

Managers like Naglesmann are speaking to Spurs and wouldn't even spit on Leicester.

Spark

They were major under achievers prior to Levy, consistently mid table as far as I remember. Was weird too because for some reason I thought Ginola and Klinsmann were world class (they probably weren't).

Levy has done well from stabilising the club and establishing Spurs as a force in England (to an extent), but the lack of silverware is criminal. His famed hard-balling tactics with transfers have likely stifled Spurs in the long run and arguably a lot of his later "success" was down to getting Poch in and giving him some control. Outside of Poch, Levy's reign is characterised with absolutely abysmal managerial situations (especially since).

I reckon the Glazers would have absolutely loved having someone like Levy running the show. Glad he was never at United.

cyberman

[/QUOTE]
Yeah but that's a pretty dumb way of looking at things.

Obviously the best route to trophies is to increase the stature of the club through revenue and having an attractive stadium and training facilities. This is obviously a very gradual and difficult process for what was a midtable club with no nation state backing. Spurs have done incredible to the point where people are saying being 5th and reaching the knockout stages of the CL is a crisis season. A club like Leicester, who have won the PL and FA cup in recent years, would bite your hands off for that type of 'crisis' now.

Managers like Naglesmann are speaking to Spurs and wouldn't even spit on Leicester.
Incredible is a ridiculous statement to make quite frankly. He has made his reputation on Pochetino and Kane coming though, it’s evened out now and they’re falling away like they were always going to.
Can’t find a manager to suit their means, hiring DOF that he knows would soon be on the receiving end of a global ban, looks like 2 Conference league campaigns in 3 seasons. The rot is setting in. Without Kane they aren’t any better than the likes of Brentford, even with Kane it’s highly debatable.
That’s what Levy has presided over. They aren’t falling away because of luck or mismanagement, they’re falling away because decisions from the top in an era when a top 4 side should be safer than they ever were.

HarryP

Incredible is a ridiculous statement to make quite frankly. He has made his reputation on Pochetino and Kane coming though, it’s evened out now and they’re falling away like they were always going to.
Can’t find a manager to suit their means, hiring DOF that he knows would soon be on the receiving end of a global ban, looks like 2 Conference league campaigns in 3 seasons. The rot is setting in. Without Kane they aren’t any better than the likes of Brentford, even with Kane it’s highly debatable.
That’s what Levy has presided over. They aren’t falling away because of luck or mismanagement, they’re falling away because decisions from the top in an era when a top 4 side should be safer than they ever were.
Very very poor post.

They didn't get top 4 success for much of the last 15 years because of one manager and one player. I know fans are typically fickle but that sort of juvenile reductionism takes things to a whole new level.

cyberman

Very very poor post.

They didn't get top 4 success for much of the last 15 years because of one manager and one player. I know fans are typically fickle but that sort of juvenile reductionism takes things to a whole new level.
Of course they have. How many non Pochettino CL campaigns have they had?
Seems to be 2 by the stats you’ve shared and one for Kane. Pretending their greatest ever goalscorer wasn’t a huge factor in pushing up the table is laughable quite frankly.
But argue away I suppose, Alan Sugar rand all that

Duncspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Can't link but:

twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1650779207750889472

Oranges038

Personally, I think he's doing a great job.

I think he should get both of the parachutes.

Djemba-Djemba

I'm sorry this is just a silly quote. One is CEO of Manchester United, the other one is running Tottenham fecking Hotspur. The appeal and monetary resources of one club vs another isn't even comparable before you look at how how the CEOs run their clubs but you've somehow managed to ignore all of that :lol:
Go read up the relative spends and then come back on who achieved better with their resources. Ed Woodward tried to constantly overspend his way out of trouble and landed an FA Cup and a Europa Cup in almost 10 years for the biggest club in England and top 3 in the world. feck me that is diabolical, more diabolical than anything Levy did. He can make 5x Conte mistakes and still not feck up to the level Woodward did.

Ed Woodward is 100x worse than Levy, it's hilarious you are even suggesting otherwise.
This is a fecking fact.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I can tell you one thing - if I were a PL player, I’d really try and avoid signing for Levy.

I think the way he clearly involves his ego when clinging onto players and trying to control who they do or don’t sign for is toxic and pretty pathetic.

Comes across like a jealous, controlling person in his business interactions.

crossy1686

career ending

They’re still in that pond except they have a new stadium now. No world class manager is going to touch Spurs.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like we've got the Levy PR people in the thread.

My guess is Spurs will struggle massively on the pitch once Kane leaves, declines or retires.

I doubt Spurs will make the CL, more so with the rise of Newcastle.

That stadium debt could be a massive, massive problem.

crossy1686

career ending

My guess is Spurs will struggle massively on the pitch once Kane leaves, declines or retires.

I think most sensible football fans realised they were in trouble when they chose to build a stadium instead of backing Pochettino with some players they definitely needed.

Levy chose to cash in on Spurs position instead of allow them to push for a trophy. They needed a rebuild under Poch, then they brought in Mourinho and Conte to try and postpone the rebuild, and now they’re still in need of a rebuild with no CL football and their best players about to leave.

They’ll go for Potter and use the Kane money to pay off some of the stadium. They’ll be in the wilderness for a while from here I think.

The Purley King

I think most sensible football fans realised they were in trouble when they chose to build a stadium instead of backing Pochettino with some players they definitely needed.

Levy chose to cash in on Spurs position instead of allow them to push for a trophy. They needed a rebuild under Poch, then they brought in Mourinho and Conte to try and postpone the rebuild, and now they’re still in need of a rebuild with no CL football and their best players about to leave.

They’ll go for Potter and use the Kane money to pay off some of the stadium. They’ll be in the wilderness for a while from here I think.
If Kane does leave you’d expect Richarlison to step up. I know he’s been poor thus far but he is a decent centre forward. Obviously not in the same class though.
Spurs would still be 7th or 8th best I would have thought but probably not challenging for CL places.

crossy1686

career ending
If Kane does leave you’d expect Richarlison to step up. I know he’s been poor thus far but he is a decent centre forward. Obviously not in the same class though.
Spurs would still be 7th or 8th best I would have thought but probably not challenging for CL places.
He hasn’t score a PL goal all season, he’s scored as many PL goals as I have this season, step up is an understatement.

People keep saying he’s a good player but I’ve never seen it. Occasional flashes of something good but never anything resembling a top 4 CF. He can hope to maybe be as good as Jesus one day and he’s just alright also.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Remember when he was being made a role model of how a club CEO should be? Poch was fairly successful. The signings worked, he managed to keep important players and ready to slap hefty price tags to scare away other clubs.
Turns out he is not the genius people made him to be. He was just lucky. Now he's getting exposed.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Now we have to endure Mason with that whiny voice of his for the rest of the season. :(

Guy Incognito

I don't know why much hasn't been made of this in the media. It has the potential to get really ugly in the next five years.

The TV money is huge these days and European football, Beyonce concerts, NFL games may offset some of the debt but it could get ugly if the football team isn't good enough to challenge for trophies.

It's not a criticism of Levy because he wants to 'manage' the debt in a safe way but unless they build a team with a manager and identity just having a shiny new stadium won't be good enough.

Amir

Of course they have. How many non Pochettino CL campaigns have they had?
Seems to be 2 by the stats you’ve shared and one for Kane. Pretending their greatest ever goalscorer wasn’t a huge factor in pushing up the table is laughable quite frankly.
But argue away I suppose, Alan Sugar rand all that
Kane has obviously made a big difference in recent years but their ascension to around 4th-5th began before him, with the likes of Keane, Berbatov, Bale, Jol, Redknapp, etc.

Daniel Levy has made a lot of good decisions over the years. It's inevitable that eventually some poor decisions will also be made and that the team will have poorer years. It happens to bigger, richer clubs. It's doesn't erase the good work done previously.

Ted Lasso

96/97 - 10th
97/98 - 14th
98/99 - 11th
99/00 - 10th
00/01 - 12th

01/02 - 9th
02/03 - 10th
03/04 - 14th
04/05 - 9th
05/06 - 5th
06/07 - 5th
07/08 - 11th
08/09 - 8th
09/10 - 4th
10/11 - 5th
11/12 - 4th
12/13 - 5th
13/14 - 6th
14/15 - 5th
15/16 - 3rd
16/17 - 2nd
17/18 - 3rd
18/19 - 4th

19/20 - 6th
20/21 - 7th
21/22 - 4th
Close thread.

Different topic worth discussing would be whether fresh ownership could then take them to the NEXT level

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

96/97 - 10th
97/98 - 14th
98/99 - 11th
99/00 - 10th
00/01 - 12th

01/02 - 9th
02/03 - 10th
03/04 - 14th
04/05 - 9th
05/06 - 5th
06/07 - 5th
07/08 - 11th
08/09 - 8th
09/10 - 4th
10/11 - 5th
11/12 - 4th
12/13 - 5th
13/14 - 6th
14/15 - 5th
15/16 - 3rd
16/17 - 2nd
17/18 - 3rd
18/19 - 4th

19/20 - 6th
20/21 - 7th
21/22 - 4th
You skipped out a few.

81/82 4th
82/83 4th
83/84 8th
84/85 3rd
85/86 10th
86/87 3rd
87/88 13th
88/89 6th
89/90 3rd
90/91 10th
91/92 15th
92/93 8th
93/94 15th
95/96 7th

Levy achieved nothing with Spurs that they hadn’t already achieved before.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Currently driving Bavarian's insane. This shrewd negotiator's reputation did not precede him, apparently.

Funny to watch from the outside.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As long as its Bayern he fecks over Im completely fine with it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
You skipped out a few.

81/82 4th
82/83 4th
83/84 8th
84/85 3rd
85/86 10th
86/87 3rd
87/88 13th
88/89 6th
89/90 3rd
90/91 10th
91/92 15th
92/93 8th
93/94 15th
95/96 7th

Levy achieved nothing with Spurs that they hadn’t already achieved before.
During those years there were also FA Cups and UEFA Cups. Nothing of the sort since he took over.

CallyRed

I think he would turn down a deal even if Kane was in his last month

tomaldinho1

Currently driving Bavarian's insane. This shrewd negotiator's reputation did not proceed him, apparently.

Funny to watch from the outside.
Don't really see how this is seen as Levy being a shrewd negotiator unless Kane has agreed an extension. Turned down £100m last summer, £86m this summer and if he leaves on a free it seems a terrible move. They aren't in the CL and I don't think they'll make it back in this year, the thread title is spot on.