Can we win the league?

red4ever 79

It might even be the season where things unravel faster and go tits up. Let's be honest. We were s*ite in defence last season, we were s*te up front. All the talk of a major rebuild and so far we have bought two youngsters who have potential but might not be ready yet. Other than that we are the same. I have a feeling Ole is going to put a lot of faith in Rashy, Linzy, Jones and we are going to bomb

matsdf

Of course we can. We are fecking Man United, don't ever forget that!

KennyBurner

If we remove city from the equation I actually believe we can. So really the answer is no.:(

LInkash

If van Dijk and Aguero get long term injuries, maybe a slight chance.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Possibly on the same odds that Leicester won the league with.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Yes.

But in the same way Sheffield United can win the league right now. Before a game has been played. Before we're mathematically not capabale of doing so.

Crustanoid

Hilarious thread. We’re further from winning the league than any time since mid-late 80s and even then processes were in place to change things.

AlexUTD

If we would buy a great leader and CB with a good RW and a good CM wich integrates into the team well. Why not? If $ity and Liverpool have a bad start or injuries you never know in football.

ash_86

Finishing top 4 comfortably should be our first option.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Not with Solskjaer in charge unfortunately.

U-N-I-T-E-D

Yeah we can, Leicester won it a few seasons back albeit unlikely.

I do though like the way Ole is bringing in young, hungry players. Much more likely way of achieving it than buying past it big names. Becoming more hopeful of top 4 and in a few years who knows. Pep and Klopp may move on to other ambitions and the dominance may swing in another direction.

<may well be speaking from a position of hope rather than reality but I can dream>

Castia

Nope

City are at such a level that even if we drastically improve and hit 90 odd points it probably won’t be enough.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Leicester won it.
But they had their style of play sorted from the end of the season and managed to continue their incredible momentum from then.

We need to sort out how we're gonna play, and make a couple of influential signings still. At the moment, at best it's an AWB improvement on last year, and that isn't taking us 1st from 6th.

PoTMS

Definitely no. We are miles behind City and Liverpool and AWB and James have done little to bridge that gap. It'll be another season of hoping City win the league unfortunately.

MrBest

With 38 games to play we have a 100% chance to win the league.

After 10 games games played it will be back to zero. We are way too far off city and liverpool, even if they lose out on 15 points, they still get into the 80s. We need to be focussing on the 75 mark this year and upwards thereafter.

hobbers

No.

We have Rashford and Lingard primed to play 30+ league games each. No chance.

DoubleRevv

We are more likely not to win the league than to win it.

It would be good our fans tailored expectations going into this season. It'll make supporting the team easier and truer.

Terminator

No, plenty of deadwood still at the club and our team is just not good enough.

Tiber

Europa League group? Reserves? U-18s? U-16s? Womens? Legends tournament? 5-aside?

Cant think of any other realistic league we could enter with a chance of victory

RoyH1

Not this season, no. If we did, it would be the biggest surprise since Leicester won it a couple of seasons ago.

Drawfull

I believe that on form De Gea, AWB, Shaw, Pogba, Martial and Rashford can be some of the best players in the league. I reckon Lukaku, Sanchez and Fred have another level they could easily add to their game. I reckon that Liverpool will massively struggle this year as they won't improve their squad and I reckon City will lose a lot from a depleted David Silva and a departed Vincent Kompany.
Notwithstanding our chances, I think you might be bang on re the top two. Time will tell of course, but at least one of them will drop massive points comparitively next season imo.

Robbo76

Its possible but highly unlikely.
I think we should get in top four this season which really is a must in terms of attracting top players in the future but to bridge the gap to City and Liverpool so soon.....can't see it unfortunately

Champagne Football

No chance. Rashford is not a 30 goal a season striker. Where are our goals gonna come from? Daniel James will be inconsistent but hopefully a big success. We're still not sure if Martial is good enough on the left. Mason Greenwood will get a few starts here and there.
We're not sure if Pogba is staying or going.

Compare that to Liverpool where Mane, Salah and Furminho all score for fun. Keira will start scoring more too.

Luke Shaw still looks like a mistake waiting to happen in a lot of games.

Bruno Fernandes will definitely pitch in with a few goals if he arrives, but we'd still struggle to score for fun like Man City, Liverpool, Spurs all do.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Of course there's a chance :lol:

It's highly unlikely, but possible. Everything needs to fall into place and we need to brim with confidence right from the start.

Mike Smalling

No. Let's not forget that five teams finished above us last season. One won the league and the remaining four played in European finals. It would be remarkable if we beat all of them to the league. Especially considering our squad and inexperienced manager.

I just hope we can finish top four relatively comfortably.

Cloud7

I don’t think so. Pep’s city are simply too good at league football. It doesn’t matter how much we improve, it’s hard to see us matching their output. Even Liverpool needed a considerable amount of luck/blunders from other teams to get near city and even that wasn’t enough.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
100% yeah, if we get on a roll we'll surprise a few people.
With our wage bill it shouldn’t be a surprise if we are challenging for the league. It should be a surprise we aren’t. Will we? Probably not. Not with players here that don’t want to be here and players trying to develop. It’s a fine mess we’ve gotten ourselves into anyway and I think next season Ole will be sacked by 2020. Can’t shake the feeling the squad is toxic now. Doesn’t matter who is in charge.