Can you see Diogo Dalot stating a serious claim for the RB-position?

Eli Zee

AWB slows attacks down with is terrible ability to move on the ball or run with the ball gsst enough.

Not saying Dalot is the fastest player in the world but hes a lot more terrifying to deal with than AWB running at you. Teams know that and can exploit that.
Just look at the way Dalot cut inside and went for the lefty shot that almost went top left last game... AWB would never do that. AWB limits the right flank offense so much

cyril C

If Dalot can fix his defensive flaw, he is a balanced wingback. Having said that, AWB has too much limitation and when his fitness is poor, which is what he has been this season, he is more of a liability than asset. Ask the question again in Xmas and we will know who will ask to leave...

city-puma

Its about how we want to play. Hard to find fullbacks that good at both defense and attack. You have to sacrifice sometimes. We look like we want to play with more pressing and attack more up top. And that doesnt look good with how AWB playstyle. Dalot is look more threathening going up top and if he keeps improving then his defensive play doesnt need to be brilliant, just need to be good enough
This spots on!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
AWB slows attacks down with is terrible ability to move on the ball or run with the ball gsst enough.

Not saying Dalot is the fastest player in the world but hes a lot more terrifying to deal with than AWB running at you. Teams know that and can exploit that.
I wouldn't call either terrifying. Part of AWB's problem is Ole would almost invariably play no one on the right to support him, or put someone out of position there like Rashford, and with no direction or tactics. Dalot did no better in the same circumstance. In fact he looked a whole lot worse both defensively and going forwards. So I'm interested to see how AWB would do in the system we played against Palace. I just wouldn't drop Dalot when he's actually playing well.

The thing with AWB as well is it became trendy very early on to criticise him for his attacking play due to the silly hype over Alexander Arnold, so now it gets blown stupidly out of proportion and he has no hope of ever shaking it off unless he transforms into right back Roberto Carlos.

NoLogo

Its about how we want to play. Hard to find fullbacks that good at both defense and attack. You have to sacrifice sometimes. We look like we want to play with more pressing and attack more up top. And that doesnt look good with how AWB playstyle. Dalot is look more threathening going up top and if he keeps improving then his defensive play doesnt need to be brilliant, just need to be good enough
Exactly. I feel Dalot is way more suited to us playing pressing. If we want to sit deep, AWB with his precise tacklings might be the better option to get a foot in at the last second, but he simply isn't good at helping in the press and after winning the ball keeping hold of it because he is neither good at passing nor press resistant. Dalot certainly isn't the best FB in the world but he seems way more comfortable on the ball than AWB.

Eugenius

Dalot in general has looked fairly awful for us defensively. Lacking positioning and recovery pace - reminds me a little of [Irrelevant point] playing in a flat back 4. Clearly comfortable on the ball though.

But AWB has been all over the show defensively - ball watching, not tracking his man, bad pressing etc. Not expecting him to suddenly become a skillful full back but he's not improving and his attitude and application looks pretty shocking. So I don't think Dalot can be much worse, and maybe he will improve by playing regularly.

Maticmaker

Once RR gets the on field tactics right, he will ensure that the squad will take shape naturally; the whole point of having cover for every position is that when one players' form drops he gets replaced. Too many players under Ole had poor games and continued to play, or were left in place so he could fit others in elsewhere.

AWB and Dalot are not natural cover for each other at RB. AWB is a better defensive player, but struggles at wing back and in an attacking role and Dalot is the opposite; whereas on the left Shaw and Telles are much closer in that respect, although neither (in my opinion) are from a positioning standpoint, that good at defending.

If RR is going to continue with the 4-2-2-2 formation, it has to be Telles and Dalot.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like what I see of Dalot. However, I do think he isn't exactly special at what he does either; that we could buy an attacking RB and he will be the same or better than Dalot.

Il be happy and supportive whilst he is here though and he is currently in better form than Wan Bissaka.

However, I do look at Wan Bissaka playing for us, and especially remembering him in his best games - that I do think that this guy is slightly different to what other teams have and id kind of like to see if he can develop under a proper manager.

Dalot as a wingback or another one like Dalot isn't exactly rare to find; I can pick about 10 who are available off the top of my head - whilst I can't say that about AWB. I'd make sure we get the best version of a Dalot RB as we can get to our squad and try build AWB to this different/alternative type of fullback.

Yakuza_devils

Both AWB and Shaw will be back as first choice fullbacks/wing backs. They will be excellent under Rangnick system. Remember that under Ole the whole team looked shit.

We also have Varane and Pogba to come back under Rangnick system.

Good time ahead!

TSE123

yes! partly due to AWB not being good enough. But Dalot has looked very promising the past couple of games.

rooney2009

AWB is a good player that had a wonderful season last year
We tend to give up on player quickly on this forum
We have a proper coach now that should be able to help him develop better

jackal&hyde

Don't think I've seen a player so young and so naturally gifted be so written off.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I see there are some questionmarks over Dalot's pace? Is he not rapid?

romufc

He didn't have a wonderful season. He was average really.

He has been at the club 2 years, so not really giving up quickly.

His ability on the ball and positional sense is the reason people want him replaced. He gives no one confidence when he gets the ball.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I love how people make their mind up about our players when they have barely been given a chance. I'm not saying Dalot will take AWB's spot, but this is the best run he's had since his arrival and it's only 2 games. Will he replace AWB and become our starting RB? Not sure. Should he be given more chances to make that position his? Definitely. We need more rotation in our squad. Ole played his favourites. Time to give everyone a shot...

Foxbatt

Dalot has been a regular in Italy in his loan spell under a good manager. He plays for Portugal too. I mean he was in the squad. AWB was a winger turned RB. Surely he can be coached in his attacking capacity under a good coach?

tomaldinho1

Overall, we need a new RB
AWB and Dalot are fine + remember Laird is coming through. I think AWB will surprise people, let's wait to see him under the coach (same goes for everyone) because it is so much easier for players when there's a set tactical plan and they have a set role.

Competition is good, AWB & Dalot is plenty good enough for this season. Then let's see where we are.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Once RR gets the on field tactics right, he will ensure that the squad will take shape naturally; the whole point of having cover for every position is that when one players' form drops he gets replaced. Too many players under Ole had poor games and continued to play, or were left in place so he could fit others in elsewhere.

AWB and Dalot are not natural cover for each other at RB. AWB is a better defensive player, but struggles at wing back and in an attacking role and Dalot is the opposite; whereas on the left Shaw and Telles are much closer in that respect, although neither (in my opinion) are from a positioning standpoint, that good at defending.

If RR is going to continue with the 4-2-2-2 formation, it has to be Telles and Dalot.
I've gotta disagree. If you're talking 1 v 1 defending AWB is better, but other than that, he is horrible defensively. He is constantly out of position and rarely picks up his man without the ball...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Surely what AWB needs is top-quality coaching. I certainly wouldn't give up on him yet. He's had a bad season, no doubt, but like many of our players, I think he has suffered from being under-coached for a couple of years. Now that we finally seem to have someone who can excel in that department in Rangnick, hopefully, we can get more out of him.

He obviously needs to improve his positional play because he's terrible at it, but you would have thought that could be done via coaching.

city-puma

AWB and Dalot are fine + remember Laird is coming through. I think AWB will surprise people, let's wait to see him under the coach (same goes for everyone) because it is so much easier for players when there's a set tactical plan and they have a set role.

Competition is good, AWB & Dalot is plenty good enough for this season. Then let's see where we are.
Exactly! They are different and offer different to the team. A well established competition will propel them go up to the next level. Laird probably needs at least one more season out on loan but we need to be careful to choose the right club.

goptun

I wouldn't call either terrifying. Part of AWB's problem is Ole would almost invariably play no one on the right to support him, or put someone out of position there like Rashford, and with no direction or tactics. Dalot did no better in the same circumstance. In fact he looked a whole lot worse both defensively and going forwards. So I'm interested to see how AWB would do in the system we played against Palace. I just wouldn't drop Dalot when he's actually playing well.

The thing with AWB as well is it became trendy very early on to criticise him for his attacking play due to the silly hype over Alexander Arnold, so now it gets blown stupidly out of proportion and he has no hope of ever shaking it off unless he transforms into right back Roberto Carlos.
I disagree massively with this. Even to the completely uninitiated, it would be immediately obvious that AWB is ridiculously awkward and borderline uncomfortable with the ball at his feet way too often for a team like Utd. He has the occasional surging run where he bursts pasts people and that's great, but his athleticism only takes him so far (and isn't even used when it comes to tracking back a lot of the time - the semi arsed jog back he does at times is criminal). There was a big breakdown on AWB by The Athletic when we signed him that highlighted just how ineffective and unprogressive he was going forwards. The thinking was that he'd improve massively in that regard but this is his 3rd season as the main starting right back and it just isn't happening.

If Rangnick sticks to his preferred 4-2-2-2, we're going to need fullbacks that love being on the ball and look to constantly influence the game. AWB will never be that sort of player.

Noc-Z

ffs
I can easily see Dalot claiming the RB position. Particularly if we continue with 4-2-2-2. However, as much as Dalot offers more than Wan Bissaka going forward...Wan Bissaka excels in defence. Or he did until recently where he has been a bit all over the place, but it's hard to judge due to the state of the team during this time. It's an interesting one - they could maybe both be coached in their weaker areas. Do you go with Dalot and work on his defsnsiv side - which may improve with proper instruction etc. Or go with Wan-Bissaka and coach him on the attacking side. If it's 4-2-2-2 I'd go with Dalot.

youmeletsfly

Are you taking the piss? I'm dead serious, if you think he had even a decent season you're nuts, sorry.

Jibbs

I think Dalot has the potential to become one of the top attacking full backs. AWB is good at tackling only, but if you want to play attacking football you want your full back to be more like Dalot.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nothing against those saying lets see AWB in this system. I really doubt he would look that much different. Dalot simply as more ablility on the ball and more comfortable receiving the ball in advanced areas. There was a point Dalot received a high ball controlled it and volleyed a 60 yard pin pin point diagonal pass into the attacker's path (Can't remember the minute). AWB simply doesn't have that in his locker. He's a different kind of RB. But in a system where the fullbacks need to be as advanced as possible and need to make runs inside the channels, I would prefer the player with more ball playing ability.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've seen Brandon Willams have 2 good games, I think a larger subset is required before judgement.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I disagree massively with this. Even to the completely uninitiated, it would be immediately obvious that AWB is ridiculously awkward and borderline uncomfortable with the ball at his feet way too often for a team like Utd. He has the occasional surging run where he bursts pasts people and that's great, but his athleticism only takes him so far (and isn't even used when it comes to tracking back a lot of the time - the semi arsed jog back he does at times is criminal). There was a big breakdown on AWB by The Athletic when we signed him that highlighted just how ineffective and unprogressive he was going forwards. The thinking was that he'd improve massively in that regard but this is his 3rd season as the main starting right back and it just isn't happening.

If Rangnick sticks to his preferred 4-2-2-2, we're going to need fullbacks that love being on the ball and look to constantly influence the game. AWB will never be that sort of player.
Nah that's a bit if a nonsense to be honest. He certainly needs to improve but you're doing exactly what I said in terms of going into hyperbolic silliness. I honestly don't know what standards people are judging AWB by but they are both unrealistic and blatantly hypocritical.

As an example when he got sent off earlier in the season, and the caf concluded it only happened because he is rubbish at football, conveniently ignoring the fact it was the exact kind of mistake the obviously technically gifted Pogba (among others) makes multiple times a game. The issue is people particularly on the internet jump in board with trendy opinions and then see everything in a tunnel to fit their narrative.

Bissaka has shown he can take the ball forwards, provide assists, link up with team mates and even beat defenders on his own and whip a dangerous ball into the box. What he has to prove is he can do it consistently and provide a genuine attacking outlet.

If you're judging him by the standards of he's rubbish unless he provides about 8 chances a game then you'll forever be criticising him and all that will change is that when someone else plays you'll apply different standards and automatically assume they are better.

romufc

He hasn't been injured much in the last two seasons. Fingers crossed.
I think at the start of last season he was but its good to see him fit for the last 2 campaigns. He has had good loans and the current one is quite promising.

He reminds me of James with the loan he had at Wigan and the build, they are both quite strong full backs.

King_Cantona07

If the formation stays same, real question is can you see AWB putting a serious claim for the rb position. AWB is everything you dont want in such a formation.

Donut

Dalot is a horrible defender, just remember the CL games this year.

AWB has improved offensively, and is a far better defender, he’ll prove he’s a superior player soon enough. He has to improve, but he’s still young too.

NewYorkRed

It is absolutely not blown out of proportion. The lad can’t control a football, hit a decent pass and his defensive positional awareness stinks. Just because he’s so good 1v1 he’s actually been massively overrated by fans. He’s worse going forward and on the ball than 99% of RBs in all of the top leagues. I’m sorry, you just can not win with someone like that starting. Not in today’s game, but I would argue not even 10 years ago. He’s that bad on the ball.